• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Can I talk for a moment about how fucking awesome the end of Act 3 is? Just finished it and Jesus Christ. Greatest cutscene I've ever seen in a video game, got me so excited even at midnight.

S1lentTwo

Banned
Anybody go back and play MGS3 after playing this one? The controls in the past games have never bothered me as they apparently have others, but now MGS3 feels almost unplayable for me after playing MGS4. Though I guess it doesn't help that I was playing it on my 80 GB PS3 and the slowdown was pretty bad at times...

Yeah I stopped playing after I pulled off a Big Boss Hard No Alert/No Kill/No Health/No Continue playthrough while gathering all the dolls. I didn't even get close to the 5:30 time requirement for the Fox Hound emblem tho, even with skipping all the cutscenes. There's no way I'm gonna bother attempting a Big Boss Extreme runthrough before the trophy patch gets here.

Undubbed

Hey guyz, I JUST got a Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 bundle with Uncharted and CoD4. Can't wait to play this game!

I'm gonna need a cable to connect to my monitor though cause I don't have an HDTV. Maybe, hopefully someone can point me to a good VGA hook up cord before I decide to head back out to find one.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Emerson said:
Forgive me if there's a better place for this but I've recently been finding myself wishing I'd bought the LE of MGS4. I wonder if anyone would be willing to sell their LE content (primarily the bonus disc)? I looked on eBay and found nothing so decided to post here and CAG just in case.

Same goes for the Metal Gear Saga preorder disc. I can get that off eBay but if someone here would be willing to sell it I'd rather give the money to a GAFfer.
Okay get this... in Canada the exact same LE is not limited to Gamestop whatsoever... You can still find LEs in every store, and I've even seen the saga vol 2 disc filling up racks at Future Shop for free with the game, like, in the last week even! The point is that it shouldn't be rare at all, don't fret.

Imm0rt4l

Verboten said:
Also, if you tranq the Frogs when they on the walls or ceilings, when they fall, the drop kills them. Be more careful, idiot.

no they don't, well perhaps they do. But they don't count as a kill. otherwise i'd rack up a kill count in advent palace.

Holtz

Finally finished the game. What an amazing ride. Easily the best game i played this generation. MGS is the best series ever. I will miss it so much. :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holtz said:
Finally finished the game. What an amazing ride. Easily the best game i played this generation. MGS is the best series ever. I will miss it so much. :(
:(

Pimpwerx

Darkpen said:
there was one guy that did way back in the thread. He played the game like 9+ times or something.
I don't know if that was me, but that's exactly the number of times I needed to get 40 emblems. I beat it 9 times, but that's b/c I ended up missing my "Chicken" badge by a hair on the first playthrough. A few minutes longer and I would have had it. I think the minimum number of playthroughs needed is 8. PEACE.

armubaba

Finished the game a few days back.

Most of my impressions will probably have been covered by now, so I'll keep them short. The first four acts- holy shit. Tight, new gameplay, epic scripted moments, great cutscenes; basically everything I ever wanted and more.The fifth act is where I think the game just falls flat compared to the rest of it. The
countless spawning enemies
were pretty annoying, and the cutscenes and story progression really didn't do anything for me. The last battle was amazing though, I must admit. The definition of epic.

All in all, I loved the game. A fitting wrap up to one of videogaming's most cherished sagas, and really just plain fun. If the final act, save for the last battle, had been different I really think it would be up there as one of the, if not the, best games I've ever played.

Onto the replays though. On my first playthrough I unlocked the Spider Medal, the Eagle Medal, and another I can't seem to remember off the top of my head. Can't wait to go through it again.

Pimpwerx

MiamiWesker said:
Starting my Big Boss rank run, Advent Palace was a bitch.
Not if you use sleep gas mines. :) The end of Act3 is the most challenging thing in the game. Hopefully you have the solar gun. If not, some parts will drive you nuts. PEACE.

Dwayne

Pimpwerx said:
I don't know if that was me, but that's exactly the number of times I needed to get 40 emblems. I beat it 9 times, but that's b/c I ended up missing my "Chicken" badge by a hair on the first playthrough. A few minutes longer and I would have had it. I think the minimum number of playthroughs needed is 8. PEACE.

Does the Snake Eater song affect the guards or anything like that?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
So what's the best way of dealing with those little robots? It's really annoying if they spot you and keep spawning on and on.

BeeDog

ItsInMyVeins said:
So what's the best way of dealing with those little robots? It's really annoying if they spot you and keep spawning on and on.

If they surround you, attach the grenade launcher on the M4 Custom and start blasting away. The robots don't see well at all and miss a lot when they shoot, so start running towards any exit. Not much else to it, really.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ItsInMyVeins said:

Not letting them spot you is a good start.

Im so glad i leanrd what the big boss camo looked like before i went on a BBE run. It's not worth the agony and fustration of loading out to the main screen 200 times.

AKS

S1lentTwo said:
Anybody go back and play MGS3 after playing this one? The controls in the past games have never bothered me as they apparently have others, but now MGS3 feels almost unplayable for me after playing MGS4. Though I guess it doesn't help that I was playing it on my 80 GB PS3 and the slowdown was pretty bad at times...

Yes, I posted here about that. The final battle used to be one of my favorites but it now seems a chore to aim and manage the camera.

frogg609

Is there a link to the wallpapers from the Konami site? I'd rather not sit and play the mini-games, but all the wallpapers are gorgeous.

Porridge

I was banned and imprisoned by Outer GAFen prior to this game's launch (Mr. Moderator told me to have a religious epiphany elsewhere. did you guys post new rules about civility or something?), so I'm just popping in to say how I feel about having beaten it... a bunch of times.

At this point, really what else can be said other than the haters are some of the biggest crybabies in all of gaming.

Seriously, grow up. You don't have a right to complain about Solid Snake's swan song. You can't make a mistake putting down $60 on this. You know what you're going into. This is how Metal Gear Solid has been since 1998, only it's never EVER been this fucking good. This is Hideo Kojima closing 20 years of games and he will do it how he wants. Now, you may not like it,... but you will respect it.

Personally, I loved it. I loved just nearly everything about this game. I could do without Ocelot kissing Snake, but I still understood it. I understood the madness behind it. That's about my only gripe with this game.

This is a game filled with little details that only multiple playthroughs will uncover. I really appreciate how you can play this game in a number of ways, despite the linearity of the game.

The cutscenes. Simply the best ever produced in a videogame. The way Kojima presents his game stories are valid and you're a baby if this game's cutscenes are too long. Cliffy Bitch must shut his mouth about passive entertainment once Gears of War's movie comes out.

I suppose the last thing I would say about Metal Gear Solid 4 is that there's nothing like the first time playing and beating this game. So many surprises and so rewarding for the Metal Gear fan.

Ploid 3.0

Porridge said:
I was banned and imprisoned by Outer GAFen prior to this game's launch (Mr. Moderator told me to have a religious epiphany elsewhere. did you guys post new rules about civility or something?), so I'm just popping in to say how I feel about having beaten it... a bunch of times.

At this point, really what else can be said other than the haters are some of the biggest crybabies in all of gaming.

Seriously, grow up. You don't have a right to complain about Solid Snake's swan song. You can't make a mistake putting down $60 on this. You know what you're going into. This is how Metal Gear Solid has been since 1998, only it's never EVER been this fucking good. This is Hideo Kojima closing 20 years of games and he will do it how he wants. Now, you may not like it,... but you will respect it.

Personally, I loved it. I loved just nearly everything about this game. I could do without Ocelot kissing Snake, but I still understood it. I understood the madness behind it. That's about my only gripe with this game.

This is a game filled with little details that only multiple playthroughs will uncover. I really appreciate how you can play this game in a number of ways, despite the linearity of the game.

The cutscenes. Simply the best ever produced in a videogame. The way Kojima presents his game stories are valid and you're a baby if this game's cutscenes are too long. Cliffy Bitch must shut his mouth about passive entertainment once Gears of War's movie comes out.

I suppose the last thing I would say about Metal Gear Solid 4 is that there's nothing like the first time playing and beating this game. So many surprises and so rewarding for the Metal Gear fan.

Absolute truth. Man I wish I could forget everything about mgs4 to play it all over again with my jaw wide open at the events and story unfolding. The big mama part to be exact. The most insane act in the game for me.

Fady K

ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm a big MGS-fan and I found a lot of the story to be very disappointing :/

Really? What didn't you like? The story KILLED me, it was breathtaking to me.

I finished this game just last week and seriously, this is by far, one of the best games I have ever played since i started gaming in 1991.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Still haven't finished the game, so I don't want to run through the whole thread and risk being spoiled, but has anyone else pointed out that Raging Raven sounds almost exactly like Bluster Blaster from the new Sam and Max games?

itsinmyveins

Fady K said:
Really? What didn't you like? The story KILLED me, it was breathtaking to me.

I finished this game just last week and seriously, this is by far, one of the best games I have ever played since i started gaming in 1991.

There were a lot of parts. Overall, it felt so much more cheesy than the other games (not saying they didn't have issues either) and the whole main story felt less interesting. And like I've already said earlier in this thread, the boss battles -- except for one or two -- are boring.

Ending spoiler:
The whole wedding scene was ridiculous and shouldn't have been in there.

And man, why did they have to go and do MGO so damn annoying to sign up for?

Fady K

ItsInMyVeins said:
There were a lot of parts. Overall, it felt so much more cheesy than the other games (not saying they didn't have issues either) and the whole main story felt less interesting. And like I've already said earlier in this thread, the boss battles -- except for one or two -- are boring.

Ending spoiler:
The whole wedding scene was ridiculous and shouldn't have been in there.

And man, why did they have to go and do MGO so damn annoying to sign up for?

Thought I agree with you about the annoyance in signing up for MGO. The worst part for me? Downloading that dam 1.10 patch.

itsinmyveins

Fady K said:

Thought I agree with you about the annoyance in signing up for MGO. The worst part for me? Downloading that dam 1.10 patch.

Yeah, I was gonna sign up yesterday, but I had to shut it off because the download took so long. Today I tried using their http-server-thingy and it went a lot faster. Now I just have to fill out a million questions and stuff and then maybe I can try it out.

Fady K

ItsInMyVeins said:
Yeah, I was gonna sign up yesterday, but I had to shut it off because the download took so long. Today I tried using their http-server-thingy and it went a lot faster. Now I just have to fill out a million questions and stuff and then maybe I can try it out.

Dont worry though, the worst part is over - that patch was random. Enjoy!

Ok, how do I convince Konami to make me a VR missions for MGS4? The gameplay was so amazing and left me wanting more. There's just so much you can do and I would like to explore Snake's abilities/weapons in more detail. I don't care if they just reuse the same assets from the game. It can be PSN only and I have cash just waiting to be given.

itsinmyveins

hmm, I keep getting "unavailible" when trying to enter a game ID. What's up? I've tried a bunch of different versions of the username I want but nothing seems to go through.

itsinmyveins

What the fuck, what do they mean by "unavailible"? Is it one of the words in my username that Konamis registration dislikes?

EDIT: Oh, what the heck? I can't use the word "veins" in a game ID?

SMZC

ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm a big MGS-fan and I found a lot of the story to be very disappointing :/

Same here. Some of my issues is that it has much less character development than any of the previous games, and that the plot has more inconsistencies than ever before.

Almost every game of the series retcons something from the previous ones in one way or another, but there are points in MGS4 where it's ridiculous.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
dont know if someone saw it, but in one cutscene you see one of big mamas nippels....

edit: and the story is great giving the fact that hideo had to come up with ideas how to manage all the plots of the older games to come to one big end.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
sankt-Antonio said:
@ The Wispy Scoundrel: teach me how to spoiler tag and ill tell you exactly in witch scene
[ spoiler] text [/ spoiler]

Without the spaces. Click "preview post" before posting it to be sure you did right :)

0 HP

im kind of let down with the story so far too. right now im at the part where
you have to tail the revolutionary
at the start of act 3 and it really seems like they are playing it safe/low-key kind of like mgs3 and completely unlike mgs1/2. there's hasn't been a single wtf moment yet and ive been told im about halfway through the game.

0 HP said:
im kind of let down with the story so far too. right now im at the part where
you have to tail the revolutionary
at the start of act 3 and it really seems like they are playing it safe/low-key kind of like mgs3 and completely unlike mgs1/2. there's hasn't been a single wtf moment yet and ive been told im about halfway through the game.

Those WTF moments will come later. Some of them come on a second playthrough with special items in certain areas. Don't count the game out so early on.

Also, try shaking your controller while talking to Rose via codec.... wtf indeed.

Could someone tell me what a Combat High is and how I get one? I have killed 320 people by the end of Act 2 and thought I would of gotten my 10 by now, but my stat still reads 0. What am I doing wrong? :) I thought it was about shooting your weapon lots during an Alert phase?

Thanks!

BeeDog

KennyLinder said:
Could someone tell me what a Combat High is and how I get one? I have killed 320 people by the end of Act 2 and thought I would of gotten my 10 by now, but my stat still reads 0. What am I doing wrong? :) I thought it was about shooting your weapon lots during an Alert phase?

Thanks!

Use a heavy machine gun and start slaughtering troops while your stress gauge is high, or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom