• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

gantz85

Banned
Kojipro please announce trophy patching. I need it when I replay MGS4 later.. strange how trophies give that extra bit of crucial incentive to replay a game :lol

And please make the trophy patching something interesting and postmodern.. :D Use it to generate another marketing wave to increase sales.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
MarkMan said:
I got to kick it with my homies Yoji and Hideo today at Comic-Con...

2702516273_672892117e.jpg

Ain't that some shit...
were you a tournament winner?!

I WISH I COULDA GOOOONE >___<

are any videos of the tournament going up?

plasmasd

So I have a bad feeling about this alternate ending. Kojima has only used this type of time device before, and if what happens is what I think will happen, I'm not going to be too happy playing through MGS4 again. It would be just like Kojima to do it too. I dont need to spoiler tag anything, cause if you think about it... you'll come to the same conclusion.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
plasmasd said:
So I have a bad feeling about this alternate ending. Kojima has only used this type of time device before, and if what happens is what I think will happen, I'm not going to be too happy playing through MGS4 again. It would be just like Kojima to do it too. I dont need to spoiler tag anything, cause if you think about it... you'll come to the same conclusion.

I thought that crap was fake.

Zen

Banned
Some explanation/spoilers (that are tagged) would be appreciated. Your mention of a time device makes me thing of that thing in MGS3... but I'm totally lost.

Oh wait... you mean [MS3 eater egg doesn't really need to be spoiler tagged info contained within]
How if you left your save long enough in the fight against the end, he'd die of old age
. I thought that you were talking about
Raiden in Metal Gear Snake Eraser
:lol

Do we have a thread specifically to discuss MGO? If we do, I apologize, but I just want to say that Survival is a great mode, and incredibly intense. Though I can see why they'd limit it and automate it. If they didn't no one would bother playing regular MGO/player made games.

It's a shame about the REWARD SHOP NOT WORKING though.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Zen said:
Do we have a thread specifically to discuss MGO? If we do, I apologize, but I just want to say that Survival is a great mode, and incredibly intense. Though I can see why they'd limit it and automate it. If they didn't no one would bother playing regular MGO/player made games.

It's a shame about the REWARD SHOP NOT WORKING though.
Come join us.

gantz85

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
thats a good explanation.

I, for one, am glad that the titty friends were modelled for maybe maximum half a second exposure :D

The MGS4 topic has died off pretty quickly I guess. There's alot that I hoped would have stirred more conversation about; but those revolve more around the meta-aspects of MGS and MGS4 rather than the events contained in the game itself. Oh well... : (

masterkajo

I have short question. I just got a french MGS4 LE off of ebay (living in Austria) and suddenly I am wondering if the game has local voice acting. My french ain't that great anymore :lol
I liked my David H./Snake...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
masterkajo said:
I have short question. I just got a french MGS4 LE off of ebay (living in Austria) and suddenly I am wondering if the game has local voice acting. My french ain't that great anymore :lol
I liked my David H./Snake...

Voice is in English.
You can choose subs language.

masterkajo

Thank god! You saved my day! I don't know how come that I got this paranoid question in my head but it seems that after I missed the LE when it was available, I couldn't believe to get one still sealed for &#8364;100.-
Anyway, thanks again! I am playing through the old ones again until that frenchman ships mine over here!! :D

Greg

Anyone know the trade-in value of the game? I intended on playing it more than once and keeping it for MGO, but I haven't really touched it since launch week.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Started playing this last week. Was disappointed at first to see the return of
Vamp (I didn't really like him much and his name is something a 5 year old would come up with)
, but other than that the game has been great. Late on Saturday, I finished up Chapter 3, and I found myself preparing myself for a letdown for the rest of the game because the end of that chapter was so damn awesome it couldn't POSSIBLY get any better.

Then they drop you right down into Shadow Moses.
Holy shit this is awesome.

R0nn

Monroeski said:
Started playing this last week. Was disappointed at first to see the return of
Vamp (I didn't really like him much and his name is something a 5 year old would come up with)
, but other than that the game has been great. Late on Saturday, I finished up Chapter 3, and I found myself preparing myself for a letdown for the rest of the game because the end of that chapter was so damn awesome it couldn't POSSIBLY get any better.

Then they drop you right down into Shadow Moses.
Holy shit this is awesome.

Just wait until you reach the next act, you'll be like 'holy shit!' and 'omfg!' all the way through.

Finished it last saturday and I'm thoroughly impressed.

pete914

Just finished up last night, planned on playing a bit and ended up playing all of Act 5.

This game is seriously amazing. It is a great service to the fans that have played all the games, answers just about everything with as many twists and turns as you'd expect from MGS. I equal this experience to something like LOTR: ROTK, or Return of the Jedi. Yeah, the movies are good on their own, but so much more rewarding if you have seen the previous two. I think MGS4 stands incredibly well on its own, but I don't think you get the most out of it unless you've played the other games due to all of the references.

If anyone's bored, here's my rundown:

Act 1 and Act 2 had really the core MGS gameplay and felt a lot like MGS3. I loved how you could either sneak around or influence the battles themselves. The OctoCamo is a billion percent improvement over MGS3's camo switching.

Act 3 started to throw in some variation and the major plot twists. I did think it was kind of lame that the only core sneaking gameplay was trailing some dude, but it was a decent mix up of gameplay.

Act 4 was pretty much amazing, although really didn't have that much sneaking gameplay. Just getting control of Rex after the frustrating battles in the first game was so satisfying. I did think the RAY battle was a bit easy though.

Act 5 was pretty much all around epic. I couldn't stop playing. I was starting to think the fight with Liquid was going to be all cutscenes, silly me. I have to say that battle was disproportionately hard compared to the rest of the game- The MGS3 part especially as I felt there was no consistancy with the CQC, but I finally finished it.

WTFBBQ etc at the ending, just amazing. Loved every second of the ~hour cutscene to wrap things up, except the Rose "fake married to Campbell" think was pretty weak, IMO.

My only complaint about the game was the difficulty of the core gameplay. Way too many weapons, essentially infinite ammo through Drebin's shop (assuming you're taking out guards). I never really felt threatened and I only really died when I got two hit killed by Geckos. Conversely, I thought the hand-to-hand with Liquid was by far the hardest boss in the series. He has like triple the life you have, and I didn't feel like there were consistant strategies that were effective against him. I'll probably hit up GameFAQs and find out there were easier ways to beat him, but it's all good.

I would put the series like this MGS4=MGS3>MGS>MGS2. I just can't pick 3 or 4. 3 has so much more content and things to do, ways to effect the game, items, etc. and is MUCH more difficult. I feel like MGS3 feels like a great adventure, with tons of varied environments and lots of locations to cover. 4, however, was downright epic from the middle of Act 3 onward, but took me less time and felt easier.

If there are any MGS fans that haven't played this game yet and have recently completed MGS3, I HIGHLY reccomend playing on HARD. Normal was a bit too easy, IMO, and I feel like I should have started on Hard (and I've played all of the previous games on Normal, so that tells you I'm not that great).

R0nn

pete914 said:
If there are any MGS fans that haven't played this game yet and have recently completed MGS3, I HIGHLY reccomend playing on HARD. Normal was a bit too easy, IMO, and I feel like I should have started on Hard (and I've played all of the previous games on Normal, so that tells you I'm not that great).

I immediatly started out on Hard, and I felt it was the perfect difficulty for me, especially on a first playthrough.

The boss fights weren't all that hard though. As soon as you find out the 'trick' to battling them, you can avoid most damage and really finish them off rather quickly. It usually takes one death before you've figured them out though, so it's all good. Only exception to this is the final boss fight.
I was defeated a couple of times there and when I finally managed to finish him off, I actually was down to zero health at the end of the MGS2 part and during the entire MGS3 part. The same thing happened during REX vs. RAY where I had the upper hand most of the fight, but Liquid made a comeback in the end and got me down to almost no health. Only by performing one of those special cutscene moves, did I manage to defeat him.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
pete914 said:
Just finished up last night, planned on playing a bit and ended up playing all of Act 5.
I pretty much agree with everything here. MGS3 felt more of an adventure to me because it reminded me of James Bond so many times. The music, setting and of course the theme song. 4 felt like they focused a lot on the presentation, which actually wasn't that bad of a change. All the easter eggs and little fan stuff you can find makes up for it though! Already on my fourth playthrough and not done for a long time.

AKS

pete914 said:

This game is seriously amazing. It is a great service to the fans that have played all the games, answers just about everything with as many twists and turns as you'd expect from MGS. I equal this experience to something like LOTR: ROTK, or Return of the Jedi. Yeah, the movies are good on their own, but so much more rewarding if you have seen the previous two. I think MGS4 stands incredibly well on its own, but I don't think you get the most out of it unless you've played the other games due to all of the references.

If anyone's bored, here's my rundown:

Act 1 and Act 2 had really the core MGS gameplay and felt a lot like MGS3. I loved how you could either sneak around or influence the battles themselves. The OctoCamo is a billion percent improvement over MGS3's camo switching.

Act 3 started to throw in some variation and the major plot twists. I did think it was kind of lame that the only core sneaking gameplay was trailing some dude, but it was a decent mix up of gameplay.

Act 4 was pretty much amazing, although really didn't have that much sneaking gameplay. Just getting control of Rex after the frustrating battles in the first game was so satisfying. I did think the RAY battle was a bit easy though.

Act 5 was pretty much all around epic. I couldn't stop playing. I was starting to think the fight with Liquid was going to be all cutscenes, silly me. I have to say that battle was disproportionately hard compared to the rest of the game- The MGS3 part especially as I felt there was no consistancy with the CQC, but I finally finished it.

WTFBBQ etc at the ending, just amazing. Loved every second of the ~hour cutscene to wrap things up, except the Rose "fake married to Campbell" think was pretty weak, IMO.

My only complaint about the game was the difficulty of the core gameplay. Way too many weapons, essentially infinite ammo through Drebin's shop (assuming you're taking out guards). I never really felt threatened and I only really died when I got two hit killed by Geckos. Conversely, I thought the hand-to-hand with Liquid was by far the hardest boss in the series. He has like triple the life you have, and I didn't feel like there were consistant strategies that were effective against him. I'll probably hit up GameFAQs and find out there were easier ways to beat him, but it's all good.

I would put the series like this MGS4=MGS3>MGS>MGS2. I just can't pick 3 or 4. 3 has so much more content and things to do, ways to effect the game, items, etc. and is MUCH more difficult. I feel like MGS3 feels like a great adventure, with tons of varied environments and lots of locations to cover. 4, however, was downright epic from the middle of Act 3 onward, but took me less time and felt easier.

Much of the reason MGS3 seemed so much more difficult is because MGS4's controls are vastly superior. If they remade 3 with 4's game engine and controls (which would be a dream come true for me), it would seem much easier. I'm hopeful MGS5 or 6 is set in the past like MGS4, especially if my wildest dreams for the series are realized and it stars The Boss as the main character. Probably won't happen, though.

Grayman

I'm enjoying this game a lot more now that I have played it twice and am not rushing to get to save points while watching the story. It isn't as much of a punishment for moving forward. Although I am just in Act 2 and the third is my least favourite of all the acts.

The controls of the final battle felt less shitty the second time but I was playing on Liquid easy getting my stealth and bandana... for some reason... this isn't fun, don't do it.

Curiously, has anyone gotten Big Boss ranking on a fresh save game? No ammo stash nor advanced equipment to cushion it? I'll probably never get BB. Even if I practiced up on extreme I don't think I could meet the time reqs without using a guide and spending weeks which isn't my style.

How about games with none or limited use of Octocamo?

Last night I completed my 4th run through the game which was Rambo style. I just walked into areas and fired my guns as much as possible, it was ace :) Totally different to how I played the other runs (1st: Try to be sneaky, deal with it if I get an alert, 2nd: 0 Alerts, 0 Kills, 0 Recovery items, 3rd: Assassins Creed unlock).

I also used this run to get loads of emblems such as 10 Combat Highs, 200 rolls, headshots etc. I got the Eagle emblem in the end which is 150 Headshots.

My next run is going to be going for Fox which involves getting 0/0/0 in under 6 hours, should be fun :)

Oni Jazar

Grayman said:
Curiously, has anyone gotten Big Boss ranking on a fresh save game? No ammo stash nor advanced equipment to cushion it? I'll probably never get BB. Even if I practiced up on extreme I don't think I could meet the time reqs without using a guide and spending weeks which isn't my style.

You have to beat the game at least once to play on The Boss difficulty and you need that to get the BB ranking IIRC.

Grayman

Oni Jazar said:
You have to beat the game at least once to play on The Boss difficulty and you need that to get the BB ranking IIRC.
but after you have beat it once you can probably click new game and have access to The Boss instead of loading a game.

Nooreo

So you guys in the credits

Voice of god : Kojima, whats that all about?. I haven't heard kojima say anything in the whole game

FabCam

Nooreo said:
So you guys in the credits

Voice of god : Kojima, whats that all about?. I haven't heard kojima say anything in the whole game

I think his voice is actually in the game just not noticeable.

Nooreo

FabCam said:
Really? i hear he talks when you
Beat Screaming mantis and tap X for flash backs. And then kojima pops out and says "Bonzai" i know its weired but thats what i heard :lol

Dave1988 said:
After 10 playthroughs and countless hours spent with MGS4 I've finally done it: all 40 emblems! :D

I am so happy right now. :D

WOW!
Awesome job man congrats!

FabCam said:

Try going on a killing spree you will hear him then :D

dralla

so, why
does Snake go into the GW room through the microwaves when Otacon does all the work with the MK? What did Snake actually do in there?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
dralla said:
so, why
does Snake go into the GW room through the microwaves when Otacon does all the work with the MK? What did Snake actually do in there?

He protected it. I thought that was quite obvious with the amount of enemies that came flying at Snake.

Well, just finished MGS4 last night and wow... just WOW....
The whole Act 4 revisting Shadow Moses (And playing a bit of the beginning of MGS1) was an awesome "full-circle" moment

Which brings me to another point, why the F$#@ wasn't Metal Gear Solid 1 released on the PSN Store for PS3/PSP before MGS4 launched (or even after it launched?) I mean its a huge "no-brainer," plus the game is already availble on the Japanese PSN Store!!!

This was such a missed opportunity for Konami & Sony... I would still really like a copy of MGS1 on PSN even though it would have worked better before MGS4 launched. And yes I know I could've got the MGS Essential Collection (I already own the original PSone version of MGS1) but that's not the point, I'd love a digital copy to play whenever I want and take on the road via PSP.

/rant

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
ok

i don't know what it is, but i've been hitting a brick wall with the crying wolf boss fight. and i've played em all, i know how these things work. still, i CANNOT get past this and it's frustrating to the point of just wanting to hear a synopsis of the game and having it over with.

anyone got help for me?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
thanks man

maybe i'm not hardcore enough, but this has to be the worst boss fight in the series. i know the theme of the fight is patience, but FUCK. i wish there was a 'skip fight' button i could press. it's just terrible.

Grayman

mattiewheels said:
thanks man

maybe i'm not hardcore enough, but this has to be the worst boss fight in the series. i know the theme of the fight is patience, but FUCK. i wish there was a 'skip fight' button i could press. it's just terrible.
Just you wait. I've had to stop playing a certain point of the game in frustration.

If you have a good aim you should be able to do that boss fight without too much difficulty. You can hunt the hunter and make it go by quicker.

RiverBed

Banned
can someone please tell me what this ended up to be?:

We're testing the OOOO System for MGS4. We've made it available as a utility application on our computer. People who heard about it gathered around Matsui-kun.

"Oh wow! This really is the next generation!"

The OOOO System will establish a different concept of MGS. Provided that everything goes smoothly, this will no doubt be another first in the gaming industry. The OOOO System will reflect the particular qualities of MGS4 well. Everyone appears satisfied.
http://www.kjp.konami.jp/gs/hideoblog_e/2005/11/000044.html
what is this amazing OOOO thing?

zoukka

mattiewheels said:
thanks man

Woot I played first time on hard and just ran after it with M4 and RPG. Thermal Imaging also helps.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Any news on whether or not MGS4 is getting trophy support? I want to play through it again, but if there are trophies coming soon i'll just stick with MGO until then.

Dave1988

TONX said:
Any news on whether or not MGS4 is getting trophy support? I want to play through it again, but if there are trophies coming soon i'll just stick with MGO until then.

Nothing. Konami is staying silent about it. But weren't there MGS4 previews that said that trophies are already integrated into the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom