• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy dogshit! What an epic game.
The playthrough of a deserted Shadow Moses was just awesome. I even liked the bit from MGS on the PSX. I only played the one on the Gamecube, but it was still cool.
After that game, I just want more. Although, the cutscenes did tend to drag, I liked the full explanations.

SMZC

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Oh boy. Gonna get some heat for this but,

MGS2>MGS3>MGS1>MGS4

Swap MGS3's position with MGS1, and you have my list. Although I guess I'd remove MGS4 from the list altogether. To me, the game doesn't even compare to any of its predecessors.

Damn, MGS2 was so awesome. What happened, Kojima?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Oh boy. Gonna get some heat for this but,

MGS2>MGS3>MGS1>MGS4
Wow, I've never such bad taste.

Hadji

Banned
SMZC said:
Swap MGS3's position with MGS1, and you have my list. Although I guess I'd remove MGS4 from the list altogether. To me, the game doesn't even compare to any of its predecessors.

I like you.

MGS2 made me realize that is more to video gaming than Final Fantasy.

Yagharek

If we're going by rankings I'd have to say MGS4 = MGS3 = MGS2 = MGS1. I literally cannot separate them overall. For the time they came out they were all a new benchmark.
MGS1 for being a fresh game with killer story.
MGS2 for being a complete mindfuck (plus best intro ever).
MGS3 for coming from nowhere and having the most coherent story (and a tradegy at that) of the lot.
MGS4 for having the best gameplay, enemies (Gekkos) and making the other 3 fit into a broader context. The story revelation about (a main character)
Ocelot's deception to save BB
recasts the series in an entirely new light.

Since this thread has been dug out

I just finished beating
Crying Wolf
. How much more gameplay do I have until the end? Am I near the end? or is there alot more?

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
domokunrox said:
Since this thread has been dug out

I just finished beating
Crying Wolf
. How much more gameplay do I have until the end? Am I near the end? or is there alot more?

There is this one part that will make you cream your pants, then followed by about 15 minutes of gameplay within 45 minutes of cutscenes, followed by two boss fights leading to a 90 minute ending.

jsrv

Recently finished the game.

Loaded from Act 3 (Or something) and ended up beating the game unexpectedly, just couldn't stop playing. Still not done digesting through all the information and scenes throughout the game. I guess it's a good thing that they released a database/summary through PSN.

Loved the game, definitely lived up to what I expected out of it. Will probably replay it many more times before moving on, though I'm still hoping they'll add in trophy support sometime soon.

Prior to this, MGS3 is my favorite MGS game, though I guess I have to play through it again since I haven't played it in a while if I were to compare it to MGS4. I thought that MGS3's ending was more moving than MGS4's. On the other hand I really liked the final boss fight in MGS4 a whole lot more. The setting, lighting on the characters, presentation, music...
I still can't get over how Ocelot did that hand gesture before passing away. Wow. Didn't see that coming.

patsu

jsrv said:
On the other hand I really liked the final boss fight in MGS4 a whole lot more. The setting, lighting on the characters, presentation, music...
I still can't get over how Ocelot did that hand gesture before passing away. Wow. Didn't see that coming.

Yeah, I don't follow MGS stories that much, but I really like the final fight. It made me pay more attention to Ocelot (I didn't even care about his "Gun" in Act 3).

I still replay Act 4 and 5 from time to time.

gantz85

Banned
RandomVince said:
If we're going by rankings I'd have to say MGS4 = MGS3 = MGS2 = MGS1. I literally cannot separate them overall. For the time they came out they were all a new benchmark.
MGS3 for coming from nowhere and having the most coherent story (and a tradegy at that) of the lot.
MGS4 for having the best gameplay, enemies (Gekkos) and making the other 3 fit into a broader context. The story revelation about (a main character)
Ocelot's deception to save BB
recasts the series in an entirely new light.

I do think that reviewing the series through some perspective could easily come out with a ranking where all of them are pretty much individual entities with unique appreciation for each of them. Viewed through other lenses with other reviewing criteria, it could literally be ranked in any order. I think most casual reviewers think best of MGS1, hardcore fans are split between 3, 4 and 1.

I myself can stand behind abit and look at all of them extremely fondly and not have to place them in competitive but rather complementary terms.

zoukka

More like MGS3>MGS2>MGS1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MGS4.

If I were to rate them based on the assplosion they created at the time of their publishment then the list would be; MGS1>MGS2>MGS3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MGS4

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
SMZC said:

What the hell is up with all the people liking MGS3 over MGS4?

Literally the entire 2nd half of MGS2 was just plain horrible.

SMZC

FTWer said:
What the hell is up with all the people liking MGS3 over MGS4?

It has a decent storyline, unlike MGS4. And at least a few of the characters are interesting and well developed, whereas in MGS4 not even Old Snake is well developed (so much for MGS4 being the character's last chapter).

FTWer said:
Literally the enture 2nd half of MGS2 was just plain horrible.

The ending (since Raiden is taken prisoner in Arsenal Gear until the very end) is arguably the best part of the whole series, along with the tanker act.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
SMZC said:
It has a decent storyline, unlike MGS4. And at least a few of the characters are interesting and well developed, whereas in MGS4 not even Old Snake is well developed (so much for MGS4 being the character's last chapter).

The ending (since Raiden is taken prisoner in Arsenal Gear until the very end) is arguably the best part of the whole series, along with the tanker act.

I love how MGS fans like to claim their opinions on SUBJECTIVE things as fact. Love it.

RandomVince said:

This is how I feel but I have different reason for MGS3 and 4. With MGS3 I loved how much it opened up the action elements whilst retaing and improving the classic stealth gameplay but I have to admit I just don't think the story quite worked. I had no emotional investment in it. MGS4 has far better characterisations as far I'm concerned. Snake in particular was possibly the best character portrayal I've ever seen in a game and thats not something I ever expected from a Metal Gear game. The writing has always been too flat and looking back I think there were technical limitations. We've seen a huge leap this gen in terms of creating believable characters and MGS4 is the best, in my opinion at least.

konstarGAF

Neo Member
BeeDog said:
Exaggerate a little bit more will you?
Well, the basic point is no information at all about things that happened before MGS4 and in MGS4. All the information the codec gave you in past MGS is not in MGS4.

Retcons changing things from past MGS and changing MGS4 at the same time, the Database, worst boss fights...
I hope they make a Subs- to include VR missions like in MGS2 to try the 70 weapons the game has.

mmm, for me it's not a Metal Gear game, because the things that make Metal Gear a Metal Gear, are not in MGS4. They lost me as a consumer, but i suppose they won more buyers doing MGS4 like it is now.

Fady K

Wow, haha, i can understand with the people saying Snake Eater over MGS4, or maaaaaybe MGS1 over MGS4. But effin MGS2? :lol

MGS2 was the most disappointing Kojima game to me. Not, not because of Raiden or whatever - I actually liked Raiden! Besides the new gameplay mechanics and the amazing OST by Gregson-Williams and Hibino, it did everything worse than the other MGS games.

MGS4>MGS3>>>>MGS1>>>>>MGSPO>>>>>>>>>MGAcid2>>MGS2>>MGAcid

Fady K

akiba_sasaki said:
Well, the basic point is no information at all about things that happened before MGS4 and in MGS4. All the information the codec gave you in past MGS is not in MGS4.

Retcons changing things from past MGS and changing MGS4 at the same time, the Database, worst boss fights...
I hope they make a Subs- to include VR missions like in MGS2 to try the 70 weapons the game has.

mmm, for me it's not a Metal Gear game, because the things that make Metal Gear a Metal Gear, are not in MGS4. They lost me as a consumer, but i suppose they won more buyers doing MGS4 like it is now.

I hope you realize that EVERY Metal Gear game is different from one another - and thats what makes this series so damn amazing as a whole - every sequel is different, every spin off is different. I dont understand what's supposed to make a Metal Gear game, a Metal Gear game. This game had some of THE best stuff from MGS1, 2, and 3 AND then some.

konstarGAF

Neo Member
Fady K said:
This game had some of THE best stuff from MGS1, 2, and 3 AND then some.
yeah, and that it had some of THE worst stuff from MGS1, 2 and 3.
it's my opinion and i didn't like it. I expected to be the best and it's not, missing a lot of stuff for me.

But who cares, please, ENJOY!!. but i will be there if they release a Subs- version.

I'm gonna agree with the people saying MGS4 is probably the weakest in the series. It definitely is that to me. MGS3 is still my favorite game of all time, and while I really, really did enjoy MGS4, I think it doesn't hold up to how great MGS3 was. MGS3 had the perfect balance of gameplay and cutscenes; something which MGS4 chose to abandon during the second half of the game.

Here's how I'm gonna break down my MGS4 experience:

Act's one and two were fantastic. Truly great stuff, and really polished the core MGS experience. Act 3 was a fine change of pace, but it makes replaying the game an absolute chore 'cause the sneaking part of the game takes too goddamn long and it just isn't interesting the second or third time through - you just want to get it over with. Act 4 was had some magical moments, but it really is boring once the novelty of revisiting an updating Shadow Moses wears off. They should have put human sentries around the Shadow Moses and made you feel like you were sneaking around again, but instead, they decided to give you some philosophical babble.

Now on to act 5. Just too damn short. Outer Haven had some great potential, but not enough content in it. You sneak past the first area, face Screaming Mantis, microwave oven(great moment), and you fight Ocelot. Microwave oven and the final confrontation with Ocelot really saved Act 5 from being abysmal, I think.

So yeah, I'm totally not satisfied with the way they ended the 'Solid' series. I'm a huge, HUGE MGS fan, but I really am disappointed with MGS4. It's still a great game, and it's my favorite game this generation, but MGS3 set the bar so high for me, and I was expecting MGS4 to at least match it on both the gameplay and the story. MGS3 is just superior in every aspect except controls; which I didn't even mind that much to begin with.

Ah well.

Fady K

akiba_sasaki said:
it's my opinion
and i didn't like it. I expected to be the best and it's not, missing a lot of stuff for me.

But who cares, please, ENJOY!!. but i will be there if they release a Subs- version.

Thats completely understandable, and your opinion is 100% valid, though what worst stuff from MGS1, 2, and 3 are you referring to?

SMZC

freethought said:
MGS4 has far better characterisations as far I'm concerned. Snake in particular was possibly the best character portrayal I've ever seen in a game and thats not something I ever expected from a Metal Gear game.

What did you think was so special about Snake in MGS4? He's by far the worst developed Snake of the whole series. The fact that it was supposed to continue the character after MGS2 (where the character was at his best) made it even more disappointing.

I loved the idea of Solid Snake being old and feeling out of place in a world where war isn't what he used to think, but they didn't even flesh that out. MGS4's Snake is nothing more than a vehicle for the players to see the rest of characters and plots unfold around Snake himself. He had a stronger presence even in MGS1.

Facism

any eurogaffers who play MGo might want to look up the NeoGAF: wasp Unit clan. Looking for some fresh blood to fill out the ranks :D

I'm glad there are (a few) people here who rank MGS4 last. I'm not going to bother going into detail on why I think the previous games are better, but for a successor to MGS3, I'll start there, but just to summarize:

-MGS3 had AMAZING art. I loved the jungle setting. Indoor environments, not so much.

-Amazing soundtrack.

-Great level design.

-Gameplay was great. MGS3 introduced a new way in the series. You had camo, healing Snake, and hunting for foods and items.

-Loved the level design of the game. The End boss fight=best fight in a MGS game. Just don't use the radar or microphone and try to see the reflection of the light off The End's sniper scope. Such a surreal fight.

-The plot, although straightfoward, was magnificent.

I just feel that MGS4 had boring level designs, graphics weren't that all great except for the character models, soundtrack had its moments but overall it was meh, didn't like the artstyle, boring boss fights, and the gameplay wasn't anything great.

sonicmj1

I've only played MGS2 and 3 before MGS4, but I'd probably rank 4 behind 3, but ahead of 2.

I absolutely love 4's gameplay in the first two acts, and I really feel like it improves on the best parts of MGS3's camouflaged, open-ended sneaking, with bigger environments, a much easier-to-use camo system, and a smoother control scheme. Even when the gameplay starts to deviate in later acts, it's still generally strong.

But in terms of overly-long cutscenes filled with exposition and heavy-handed philosophy, MGS4 tops even MGS2, and while it at least avoids relying on the codec to communicate everything, there's still just way too much of it, and it's not good enough for me to enjoy all nine hours of cutscenes. It builds the same absurd web of subplots and ridiculous plot twists.

I loved MGS3's story, because where 2 and 4 get drowned in their own canon and message, 3 keeps things straightforward, focusing on a few characters, but making that relationship strong. It also has a strong message that's pretty overt, but it doesn't bludgeon you with it to the extent that 2 and 4 do.

I thought 4's story was weaker than 2's, but I like the gameplay so much that I'd say it wins out. But 3 has the perfect mix, and that's why it's my favorite.

It's funny how a lot of people here wanted just another snake eater. Get over it. That game is done, this game is different. While I loved everything there was about MGS3, I'm actually glad MGS4 isn't like it. I didn't want another game about survival in the jungle. It's been done. But sneaking through a warzone? That's just awesome and the game's major flaw is it lacks more of this.

By the way. I've had this theory/idea about the ending of MGS4 for a while but since I've never seen this thread on the front page, I never remembered to post it and share it. It's a crazy idea and one I don't fully believe but I just want to put it out there.

What if Snake DID shoot himself and what we witness is on the "otherside". Big Boss is dead but he's here to fill Snake in on everything to let him know that what he did was the right thing to do... and maybe sort of ease his transition to the "otherside". Zero's appearance was just to have a symbolical death to show that Snake ending his life wasn't in vain and that that act truly ended the Patriots reign.

Yeah, definitely out there and full of holes but I wanted to share to see what yo guys think.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
It's funny how a lot of people here wanted just another snake eater. Get over it. That game is done, this game is different. While I loved everything there was about MGS3, I'm actually glad MGS4 isn't like it. I didn't want another game about survival in the jungle. It's been done. But sneaking through a warzone? That's just awesome and the game's major flaw is it lacks more of this.

By the way. I've had this theory/idea about the ending of MGS4 for a while but since I've never seen this thread on the front page, I never remembered to post it and share it. It's a crazy idea and one I don't fully believe but I just want to put it out there.

What if Snake DID shoot himself and what we witness is on the "otherside". Big Boss is dead but he's here to fill Snake in on everything to let him know that what he did was the right thing to do... and maybe sort of ease his transition to the "otherside". Zero's appearance was just to have a symbolical death to show that Snake ending his life wasn't in vain and that that act truly ended the Patriots reign.

Yeah, definitely out there and full of holes but I wanted to share to see what yo guys think.

Unless Otacon and Sunny both died in a horrible accident, I don't think that's the case.

Pop On Arrival said:
Unless Otacon and Sunny both died in a horrible accident, I don't think that's the case.

Oh, I forgot to add that
that conversation could have happened before the incident. Otacon was upset when Sunny asked about Snake. You can kind of look at it as if he truly wasn't going to see him again. Since you get the feeling that Sunny wants to be "outside", why would being way out in Alaska couped up with a nerd and an old man be ideal? So yeah, it could have taken place before the suicide.

Darkpen

Banned
akiba_sasaki said:
For me:

MGS2>MGS1>MGS3>piece of ****>MGS4
akiba_sasaki said:

akiba_sasaki said:
it's my opinion and i didn't like it. I expected to be the best and it's not, missing a lot of stuff for me.

akiba_sasaki
(Today, 04:48 AM)

Oh the IRONY. I can't get enough of it :lol

What a junior.

AKS said:
Much of the reason MGS3 seemed so much more difficult is because MGS4's controls are vastly superior. If they remade 3 with 4's game engine and controls (which would be a dream come true for me), it would seem much easier. I'm hopeful MGS5 or 6 is set in the past like MGS4, especially if my wildest dreams for the series are realized and it stars The Boss as the main character. Probably won't happen, though.

yes, they should totally make this!

As for preferences, i think MGS4 is a superb game, i am very satisfied with it. I think it tops MG3 easly. My Metal Gear ranking goes like this MGS4 >>> MG3 >>> MG1 >>> MG2. I still did not finish MGPO.

AKS

I can't believe all the hate I'm seeing for MGS4 here. I went back and played MGS3 recently. There's no way I could go back to those controls and camera and look at MGS3 the same way after experiencing MGS4's vastly superior setup. MGS4 is easily the best in the series. Sure, I wish there were a couple more Act 2's in there, but quality over quantity for me. Considering the replay value and the fact that MGO is included, I can't complain.

Darkpen

Banned
AKS said:
I can't believe all the hate I'm seeing for MGS4 here. I went back and played MGS3 recently. There's no way I could go back to those controls and camera and look at MGS3 the same way after experiencing MGS4's vastly superior setup. MGS4 is easily the best in the series. Sure, I wish there were a couple more Act 2's in there, but quality over quantity for me. Considering the replay value and the fact that MGO is included, I can't complain.
it was an expected backlash. Lots of reviews already hinted at an underwhelming last-quarter-of-the-game prior to and after the title's release. Its only expected that people were going to bitch. In fact, I had one guy on my PSN friendslist that had "MGS4 SUCKS" as his comment, and he was a humongous MGS afficionado (though probably stuck too far up his own conspiracy theory filled ass/ego).

But yeah, I tried to go back to MGS3, couldn't. The controls.... oh god the controls.

Ever since MPO came out, and then the descriptions for MGS4's controls were made public, I couldn't help but think of MPO as a MGS3.8, with MGS3S being 3.5, as far as the evolution of controls were concerned.

But after MGS4, it was more like MGS3 and subsistance are both sitting in some sort of awkward middleground, where its outdated controls were most visible in the original MGO, causing a minority of hardcore players to readjust their playstyle, making it unique to MGO alone, which in turn made the game impossible to play.

Essentially, if they remade MGS3 with 4's controls, it would be perfect; it would be what MGS3 should have been from the god damned beginning.

I would love to be able to play all the Metal Gear games redone to look and play like MGS4. I realize this is a pipe dream; the capital required to redo MG, MG2, MGS1 (Again), MGS2, and MGS3 just like 4 would not be returned on sales. Still would be fargin awesome.

AKS

I didn't used to mind MGS3's controls, but going back and playing through it now is difficult. It was particularly noticeable when fighting in the final battle and trying to hide and aim. It was a chore.

A remake with MGS4's game engine and controls would be wonderful but unlikely to happen. How about a new prequel? While we are dreaming, why not have a prequel starring The Boss? That truly would be a dream come true for me.

SMZC

MoonsaultSlayer said:
It's funny how a lot of people here wanted just another snake eater. Get over it. That game is done, this game is different. While I loved everything there was about MGS3, I'm actually glad MGS4 isn't like it. I didn't want another game about survival in the jungle. It's been done.

Ironically, the best chapter (from a gameplay standpoint) by far is the one that tries to be like MGS3.

With that said, I never wanted MGS4 to be like MGS3. In fact, MGS3 was a disappointment to me because it wasn't as great as MGS2, but at least MGS3 had its own charm. MGS4 has nothing except some really great gameplay during the first two acts. After that, everything that made the gameplay so brilliant is gone, and the horrible storyline kicks in.

konstarGAF

Neo Member
Fady K said:
Thats completely understandable, and your opinion is 100% valid, though what worst stuff from MGS1, 2, and 3 are you referring to?
just for me,
MGS1
Lquid: you make it to the end because we let you for our plans, even if we nearly kill you several times.
MGS2
a lot of weapons we don't use fully. In MGS4 too much weapons and too much ammo for them. I want VR mission like in Substance because the story mode isn't enough.
MGS3
lack of info for the bosses and a lot of time w/out info about the story of the game. From our first encounter with EVA to the second, the plot doesn't move forward, only gameplay. In MGS4 is worst because ot he lack of the info the codec gives you about everything.
No weapons call with Drebin, no info about the things in the world of MGS4 that i think Sunny could do. She has a computer and the skill to search information about anything and could provide Snake information about the Gekkos, PMCs, the Beasts, etc... even what type of tree was the one in the
cemetery

basically the worst is the lack of information, one of the things that made Metal Gear unique.

Roxas said:
Bet your regretting picking that name huh?
I didn't even think about that, but no. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom