• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

R-User!

Here we go...

a little over 2 months late, I know, but I don't care...

FUCKING AMAZING OP BLR!!! o_0

I finished MGS4 like about a week or two ago, and I have been slowly reading (been busy) this thread from the first post, and I just felt the need to say: "EXCELLENT SNAKE!" :)

As for MGS4 WOW! (room for future edit:)

*goes back to reading 26,XXX post thread......* :)

What the Hell. The chase section on Act 3 is PRETTY DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE. Whenever I launch off the ramp, I peg the troops with my Solar Gun, and then I land, AND THEN DIE FROM A COMPLETE MYSTERY.

Help me.

jett

D-Member
Finishing the game for a second time, I guess the ending is not as bad as I originally thought, at least the graphics are mindblowing during the final scene, too bad they couldn't do self-shadowing throughout the entire game. I don't think I'll ever agree with the plotlines Kojima created for the game though.

jett

D-Member
Zeouterlimits said:
<3 Chibi Raiden.

One thing I missed during MGS4, how does it explain that Vamp could run on water?

Oh they didn't, if they did I'm sure the answer would be TEH NANOMACHINES. Either that or Vamp hypnotized himself into believing he was Jesus. :eek:

Ugh.

Az

When MGS4 just came out I was telling my friend about it, who was a bigtime COD4 fan. I also let him watch and play some of MGS4 and he hated it. So three weeks pass, I am already done with it and I haven't talked to him since. I call him up to see what he was doing and he tells me that he is on his 3rd playthrough of MGS4, all I could do was laugh because he was talking so much shit about the game.

I just wish MGO would somehow get my attention, for some reason I just can't get into the game.

AKS

-viper- said:
Argh I completed Act 2 again and I've got 1 kill.

WHERE IS IT COMING FROM? I didn't shoot ANYTHING but the Gekkos during the escape scene.

And before that, I ONLY used the Tranq guns.

Power suit dudes? Don't kill them. Also, zombie PMC soldiers can stray into the path of fire during the chase sequence. Stray fire from the turrent is probably the culprit.

I'd say there's a 95% chance you're getting that kill during the chase sequence.

IIRC They explained Vamp's ability to walk on water by saying that he moves so fast that he doesn't break the surface of the water. There are some insects that do that.

AKS said:
Power suit dudes? Don't kill them. Also, zombie PMC soldiers can stray into the path of fire during the chase sequence. Stray fire from the turrent is probably the culprit.

I'd say there's a 95% chance you're getting that kill during the chase sequence.
That's what happened to me... I haven't gone back to play MGS4 since. From the start of Laughing Octopus to end of that Act all wasted...... was/am so pissed off..

Ninja Kn1ght said:
IIRC They explained Vamp's ability to walk on water by saying that he moves so fast that he doesn't break the surface of the water. There are some insects that do that.
Hmm. Thank you.

AKS

Zeouterlimits said:
That's what happened to me... I haven't gone back to play MGS4 since. From the start of Laughing Octopus to end of that Act all wasted...... was/am so pissed off..

Hmm. Thank you.

You can check your progress mid-act by loading your save when watching a Mission Briefing. Pick Mission Briefing 2 (doesn't need to match the Act, however) and skip twice and your stats will be displayed. I had a single alert in Act 4 on the way to getting the Big Boss Emblem and had to do the entire sequence of events at the end of Act 4 again on The Boss Extreme, That was enough to convince me that checking occasionally before moving on would be a good idea.

dalyr95

One thing that pissed me off, was that they spent so much getting top models to be the beauties, then have them say very little, why have Drebin relate their backstory, after killing them I don't care if how they became nuts. If they told their story, say like against octopus, she grabbed snake, gave him flashbacks or told him her story while trying to kill him as a beauty.

Basically why I'm saying is somelike like Mantis' death, where he tells you his lifestory

burgerdog said:
They haven't said anything about it, I really doubt it. Also, where are the in-game podcasts? We haven't seen a single one yet.

They're still on holiday I bet ;p

I want some integral podcasts aswell.
I want them now >:X

sonicmj1

Ninja Kn1ght said:

But that doesn't explain how, immediately after exiting the water, he proceeds to run up the side of one of the struts. Or how he swims in water that has no buoyancy.

One of the issues that I have with MGS4's story is the single-minded focus on tying up every single loose end in the franchise's history. With some of the answers they come up with, it makes me appreciate the ambiguities that existed earlier.

During the Advent Palace shootout, if you call Otacon he talks a bit about the Haven Troopers and says they have this technology that manipulates Van der Waals forces to let them stick to walls, he then mentions this is how Vamp was able to run on water.

SUPREME1

Banned
I'm on the late train, and barely posting 489 pages into this thread...

Just bought MGS4 over the weekend. Oh.Em.Gee.

Why did I wait so long? I thought I was going to be disappointed, boy was I wrong.

I've finally found a game good enough for me to put down the 360 controller and stop playing CoD4 Online.

The detail in this game.... oh man, along with the gameplay, slick cutscenes and weapon UPGRADES!!!! Octocamo owns.

Aside from BRD, my purchase of a PS3 is now justified.

I now have a grand total of 2 PS3 games and this made it all worth it. Seriously.

This is what I've been waiting for from PS3. Great job Kojima-san.

Epic game.

*exhales*

I just got around to watching the bonus dvd with the extra features, wow, if you never watched it before please do, it really shows you how much work kojima and his team did leading up to mgs4's launch day, great great stuff.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
No god damn mother fucking way did my controller actually just die after Metal Gear fucking Ray just popped out of the water and I'm about to rough him up in Rex, and I don't know where my charging cable is because I've moved since the last time I used it.

No fucking way that just happened.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
dabookerman said:
You know what. I really want to play this game for the first time again.

Man, I still can't forget that moment.
i remember it all. every moment that made me think wow.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Monroeski said:
No god damn mother fucking way did my controller actually just die after Metal Gear fucking Ray just popped out of the water and I'm about to rough him up in Rex, and I don't know where my charging cable is because I've moved since the last time I used it.

lol.
rex is rickity, kojima is just breaking the 4th wall

Capoeira

Monroeski said:

I had the battery warning message pop up just before the final battle. It kind of added an extra sense of urgency to that situation... Fucking hell was that intense o_O

I promptly saved after the fight was over and let my controller charge before even thinking about watching the final cutscene. If it had died at any point of the ending, I'd have been shattered.

Monroeski said:

:lol

What happened to my best friend was far more excruciating. Watched him play through the game for about 14 hours straight on my PS3, and just when **YOU BETTER NOT READ THIS( ENDING SPOILERS**:
Big Boss' name appears in the credits
POWER FAILURE!

it didn't come back 'till about an hour. I would have died if that shit happened to me.

Ploid 3.0

Pop On Arrival said:

What happened to my best friend was far more excruciating. Watched him play through the game for about 14 hours straight on my PS3, and just when **YOU BETTER NOT READ THIS( ENDING SPOILERS**:
POWER FAILURE!

it didn't come back 'till about an hour. I would have died if that shit happened to me.

:lol :lol :lol

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Capoeira said:
I had the battery warning message pop up just before the final battle. It kind of added an extra sense of urgency to that situation... Fucking hell was that intense o_O

I promptly saved after the fight was over and let my controller charge before even thinking about watching the final cutscene. If it had died at any point of the ending, I'd have been shattered.
I had had the battery warning pop up a little while before, but let's face it, that whole part of the game is just totally awesome so I couldn't bring myself to stop. The controller finally actually died right at that point.

I was tearing the house apart late last night trying to find the charging cable, even to the point of ransacking the bedroom and waking my wife up. :lol I actually found a different cable that fit (my camera picture transfer cable) but it didn't charge. Isn't the charge cable actually just a basic USB cable?

When do you guys think it will be ok to not having to spoiler tag spoilers?

Because in all honesty, everyone who is interested in the story should have played it by now.

phinious

This is my first MGS game. I only played for 15 minutes so far, but Im not sure how the game should be played? I tried playing stealthy like Splinter Cell(my favorite series), but I couldnt stay unseen.

How is the game suposed to be played? should I just run and gun or what? Normally I wouldnt ask, but I have gamefly and the games don't come with a book...

jmdajr

dabookerman said:

Because in all honesty, everyone who is interested in the story should have played it by now.

Hey people get busy, they have stuff to do besides play games. I barely finished it. I say after the holidays will be a good time to not worry about spoilers. But even then there will be many fans who simply cant afford a ps3 yet.

phinious said:
This is my first MGS game. I only played for 15 minutes so far, but Im not sure how the game should be played? I tried playing stealthy like Splinter Cell(my favorite series), but I couldnt stay unseen.

How is the game suposed to be played? should I just run and gun or what? Normally I wouldnt ask, but I have gamefly and the games don't come with a book...

Play however you want. Run and Gun or stealth. It is entirely possible to play the game without being seen. But it's a lot deeper than just hiding behind a wall. You need to listen out for subtle noises you make, objects you may knock over, wind direction etc.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
dabookerman said:

You think just under two months is a long enough time period to stop spoiler tagging things? You can't be serious.
phinious said:

I generally try to hide, but if I get seen I then have no problem just tranq-ing the hell out of people and running for the next exit. I try not to use lethal weapons, but sometimes it just has to be done.

Running and gunning is a much more viable play style in this game than in any of the others imo.

phinious

dabookerman said:
Play however you want. Run and Gun or stealth. It is entirely possible to play the game without being seen. But it's a lot deeper than just hiding behind a wall. You need to listen out for subtle noises you make, objects you may knock over, wind direction etc.

Oh really? Wind direction? I guess Ill have to find an online manual somewhere... I have no idea what that would even mean. I really hope I can figure out how to play stealthed because that is the most fun to me.

Thanks for the insight!

Oni Jazar

Don't worry about the wind direction (at least not yet).

Just take your time and focus on troop movement, dark environments and hidden pathways. If you want to go through the game with stealth you need to have an excellent sense of situational awareness and take your time! If you lie down in the shadows and let your octocamo hide you, you should be pretty much invisible. Find your route, wait for the opportune moment and then GO GO GO!

Just finished it.

Best game I've EVER played from start to finish.

Next on the agenda:

1) Give Kojima and his team a well deserved vacation

2) Lock Hideo in a room and force him to work his magic

Please God let this franchise continue...

Rolf NB

Monroeski said:
I had had the battery warning pop up a little while before, but let's face it, that whole part of the game is just totally awesome so I couldn't bring myself to stop. The controller finally actually died right at that point.

I was tearing the house apart late last night trying to find the charging cable, even to the point of ransacking the bedroom and waking my wife up. :lol I actually found a different cable that fit (my camera picture transfer cable) but it didn't charge. Isn't the charge cable actually just a basic USB cable?
It's a standard USB cable.
I may state the obvious now, but the PS3 USB ports can only charge controllers when the PS3 is on. If you shut it down, there's no more juice on the ports.

You can charge the controller from any USB port from any device (I like using my laptop). If the light blinks, stuff is happening.

Lain

Finished MGS4 almost 1 month ago +/- and wanted to comment on it at the time, but I was without a connection back then so doing it now.
It was a really nice experience plagued with many little problems that annoyed me alot.
The slowdowns bothered me: those happened also during some realtime cutscenes, breaking the immersion.
The boss fights sucked for me, some of the most inane and retarded boss fights I've ever fought. I even entertained the thought of pissing on the skull of whoever designed the Screaming Mantis battle.
The points with unlimited guards repop was stupid as well as far as I'm concerned.

But getting to the boss fights was fun. I had alot of fun collecting weapons and items, exploring the maps, trying to sneak around and, naturally, going on killing sprees to get as much ammo as I could.
Plus the graphics really impressed me (well, with a few exceptions for some low res textures here and there... like some paintings and stuff).
All in all it was a nice game with an ending I liked even tho it was a bit too bittersweet. Not the best game ever for me, but still a good game I enjoyed and plan to replay.

Souther

Banned
I've had the LE edition since release...

Maybe i should get around to opening it and finally playing it :D

Also...This Thread is ridiculous(in a great way) fantastic job to the OP

What's the general consensus among GAF members about MGS4? Or rough percentages at least?

Me and my best friend are among the biggest fans of the series, yet we both felt disappointed with MGS4. We kind of felt let down by Kojima for different reasons. Although I can't deny having a great time playing through the game on my first and only playthrough, which is something I'm very thankful for since I rarely ever play any video games at all at this age. But still, some things were off about the experience, it wasn't of the caliber I was expecting of MGS4.

Maybe it's unfair to fully judge the "meat" of the game from a single playthrough, but even so nothing would fix the atrociousness of the plot in my eyes.

Just to make it hopefully clear that I'm not trolling. Metal Gear Solid is perhaps my favorite gaming series of all time, or at least in top 3, and I own almost every North American release of every MGS on every platform (including PC and Xbox).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just a quick question about the MGS4 theme on PSN. Does anyone know where I can get a version of it that has an icon for trophies?

Darkpen

Banned
Pop On Arrival said:

POWER FAILURE!

:lol :lol :lol :lol

oh god, that sounds HORRIBLE XD XD XD

By the way guys, new downloadable song. Its the "hum version" of the Love theme.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Naked Snake said:
What's the general consensus among GAF members about MGS4? Or rough percentages at least?

Me and my best friend are among the biggest fans of the series, yet we both felt disappointed with MGS4. We kind of felt let down by Kojima for different reasons. Although I can't deny having a great time playing through the game on my first and only playthrough, which is something I'm very thankful for since I rarely ever play any video games at all at this age. But still, some things were off about the experience, it wasn't of the caliber I was expecting of MGS4.

Maybe it's unfair to fully judge the "meat" of the game from a single playthrough, but even so nothing would fix the atrociousness of the plot in my eyes.

Just to make it hopefully clear that I'm not trolling. Metal Gear Solid is perhaps my favorite gaming series of all time, or at least in top 3, and I own almost every North American release of every MGS on every platform (including PC and Xbox).
Just finished it a little while ago.

I felt like MGS4 was sex in a box until the ending. Dragged a little too long, and I just didn't like a lot of the decisions they made.

Hindsight in a few months/years will probably ultimately decide, but I think in order for me it would be 3 > 1 = 4 > 2.

::edit::
Hold on a second, why the fuck is it having to install more shit when I start a new game? What happened to the installation from before? This is bullshit...

jett

D-Member
Monroeski said:
Just finished it a little while ago.

I felt like MGS4 was sex in a box until the ending. Dragged a little too long, and I just didn't like a lot of the decisions they made.

Hindsight in a few months/years will probably ultimately decide, but I think in order for me it would be 3 > 1 = 4 > 2.

::edit::
Hold on a second, why the fuck is it having to install more shit when I start a new game? What happened to the installation from before? This is bullshit...

lulz at you. It only installs one act at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom