• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ike said:
OK, I'm gonna start this game soon. (Just got a PS3) And I was wondering, is there anywhere with a comprehensive write-up of all the events leading up to MGS4 and all the events of the previous games? I wanna a refresher before I play the game.
Check out the Metal Gear Retrospective over at Gametrailers.com. It should cover pretty much everything.

sublime085 said:
Everytime this gets bumped I hope for an integral podcast.

:(
Seems unlikely without Ryan Payton.

BeeDog

Ike said:
OK, I'm gonna start this game soon. (Just got a PS3) And I was wondering, is there anywhere with a comprehensive write-up of all the events leading up to MGS4 and all the events of the previous games? I wanna a refresher before I play the game.

Download the Metal Gear Database from PSN. It has EVERYTHING you possibly would like to know about the series.

Blader5489 said:
Liquid's initial plan was to "disconnect" every soldier on Earth from SOP, thereby creating Big Boss' dream of Outer Heaven: a world where soldiers were freed from their governments. At first, Liquid had thought that SOP was just a form of ID control; he didn't know that by disconnecting the soldiers from SOP, he was causing all of those repressed emotions to come flooding back. So he changed his plan, so that instead of freeing soldiers from SOP, he would instead take over the system and thereby take control of every soldier on Earth.

It wasn't that his DNA was causing the soldiers to go crazy and Solidus' DNA wasn't, it's just that his plan in the Middle East was different from his plan in Europe.

And you're that the syringe that Naomi gave Snake does suppress nanomachine activity. But the nanos in Snake's body are older than those used by PMC troops, and when Liquid started messing around with the system, it created a weird reaction in Snake's body (basically a case of incompatibility between the old and the new). The injections Snake gave himself suppressed his nanomachines and the reaction it was causing in his body.
The game came out in June, I'm pretty sure you can stop using spoiler tags at this point.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Ike said:
op?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
grap3fruitman said:
The game came out in June, I'm pretty sure you can stop using spoiler tags at this point.
I don't know if folks such as Ike would appreciate that.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
dabookerman said:
eh ;x what's a Hurricane got to do with anything?
:lol Hurricanes are people too, how dare you.

Darkpen

Banned
DrBo42 said:
Did anyone else find MGS4 not nearly as replayable as the others in the series? I'm struggling to find the desire to go through it again. I must have gone through MGS3 more than 10x but I can't even justify a 3rd time for MGS4.
The problem, IMO, is the lack of a full install. You can't jump to any particular point whenever you want without an install, and that's what kills it.

As for myself, I've played through the game about 7 times. I'm missing about 4 emblems, though.

acevans2

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been brought up somewhere else in the thread but I can't find it.

Do very high resolution versions of the art in the chapel you visit (where Big Mama is) exist? I want to at least make it my wallpaper, if not find and print a poster version of one of them. Thanks!

JB1981

I fully sympathize with the folks saying they can't bring themselves to play thru this game a second or third time. I began a second play through and .... I just don't have the patience to play this again for some reason. I think part of the problem is, I suck and I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and second, there really is a dearth of gameplay in the later sections. This truly is a movie/game hybrid in the truest sense of the word.

sonicmj1

Catalix said:
Emblems? Weapons? Costumes? There's tons. Just as much, maybe more, as the other 3 games. What was it about the previous entries that upped the replay value for you? If it's intangible and hard to pinpoint, I guess I understand.

It was kinda the opposite for me though. I felt like the core gameplay mechanics really began to shine on subsequent play-throughs. Trying to get all the weapons and emblems was a challenge and forced me to be more creative in certain scenarios. Same thing happened in MGS2 and 3 for me.

The way it seems to me, having played through it twice, and having stopped in the middle of a third playthrough, is that it becomes much less replayable after the first two acts.

Most of Act 1 and Act 2 are approachable in a number of different ways. But Act 3 feels kinda restrictive, having to follow the rebel dude around, and there's very little extra after that. Act 4 has enemies that follow definite patterns, where you really can't beat them in a shootout. And after the cool start of Act 5, there really isn't much other gameplay.

I only played through MGS3 three times, but that game feels more open from beginning to end than MGS4.

OMG I just took this shot with the camera, had to share (couldn't find the pictures thread)

MetalGearSolid4-GunsofthePatriot-32.jpg

(look inside the flipped PMC jeep) :lol :lol

Fady K

brandonh83 said:
OMG I just took this shot with the camera, had to share (couldn't find the pictures thread)

MetalGearSolid4-GunsofthePatriot-32.jpg

(look inside the flipped PMC jeep) :lol :lol

LOOOL :lol :lol :lol

AMAZING catch ahahahah

Fady K

brandonh83 said:
Thanks, I just figured maybe that thread had died off or something, and I didn't want to bump it for one shot.

Because of u i now have a new desktop wallpaper for my laptop bwaahahahha

Darkpen

Banned
sonicmj1 said:
The way it seems to me, having played through it twice, and having stopped in the middle of a third playthrough, is that it becomes much less replayable after the first two acts.

Most of Act 1 and Act 2 are approachable in a number of different ways. But Act 3 feels kinda restrictive, having to follow the rebel dude around, and there's very little extra after that. Act 4 has enemies that follow definite patterns, where you really can't beat them in a shootout. And after the cool start of Act 5, there really isn't much other gameplay.

I only played through MGS3 three times, but that game feels more open from beginning to end than MGS4.
actually, that part's pretty fun once you get some of the more special items and start screwing around, or the rebel guy actually takes an alternate path around the city that you would have never seen the first time around. the only restrictive thing about it is that you're stuck with protecting this guy, and the fact that you can't rush through that level, but otherwise, its not as limiting as it seems on a first or second playthrough.

WTFing

Banned
JPBrowncoat said:
Oh geez I saw the UPS guy park next door and drive away without coming here. I was prepared to come here and write something vulgar about him but then I hear my porch door close and now I gots mine!!!

mgs4.jpg
Is there a Windows screensaver with old Snake smoking his cigarette?
I want one.

Guy Legend

Playing through this game for the first time and just started Act 3. It did start a bit slow to me (perhaps just getting used to the game), but I'm hooked into it.

Do want trophies.

So I picked up the 80 gig combo a while back, but have been holding off on playing the game until I 1) got my new HDTV, and 2) had some time in my schedule. Well, my HDTV arrived about 2 weeks ago, and this week I'm on vacation, so I'm really sinking my teeth into it.

I'd say I'm somewhere near the end of Act 2. So far, I'm liking it a lot, but... I dunno. It's just not grabbing me the same way that MGS 1 and 3 did. That's not to say I'm disappointed, but I just don't find it as... exhilarating as those two games. I'll see how I feel as I finish it this week.

Dibbz

So I've completed MGS4 a bunch of times but I still don't understand some parts of the story.

When Ocelot bunrs Big Boss' corpse in Europe, why does Eva jump into the fire when she should know that it was infact Solidus' body in the bag. She should know that since Big Boss himself says the Eva, Ocelot and Naomi help to rebuil his body using parts from Solidus and Liquid. Makes no sense that she would kill herself the way she did.

Another thing I don't understand is the timeline of the events. I've read through the MG Database on the PS3 but it doesn't go into enough detail.

At the end of MGS4 Big Boss says he was frozen in a state where he was neither living nor dead, captured by the patriots. When exactly did Naomi, Ocelot and Eva rescue him and rebuild his body? Was it after the Middle East? Was it even during the events of MGS4?

Blablurn

Dibbz said:
So I've completed MGS4 a bunch of times but I still don't understand some parts of the story.

When Ocelot bunrs Big Boss' corpse in Europe, why does Eva jump into the fire when she should know that it was infact Solidus' body in the bag. She should know that since Big Boss himself says the Eva, Ocelot and Naomi help to rebuil his body using parts from Solidus and Liquid. Makes no sense that she would kill herself the way she did.

Everything was a part of Ocelots plan. Seeing Eva sacrificing herself would encourage Solid Snake to fulfill his last mission.

Dibbz said:
Another thing I don't understand is the timeline of the events. I've read through the MG Database on the PS3 but it doesn't go into enough detail. [/spoiler]

MGS4 plays 5 years after MGS2.

See this timeline: http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

Blablurn said:
Everything was a part of Ocelots plan. Seeing Eva sacrificing herself would encourage Solid Snake to fulfill his last mission.
But no, as I have said so many times in this thread, EVA died believing that Ocelot had betrayed her, that Liquid Ocelot really existed. Which is why she says to Solid Snake "Then, I lost Ocelot". Ocelot chose a lonely path for his plan.
The only logical explanation is that EVA jumped into the fire on purpose so that both Liquid (so she believed) and the Patriots would be fooled into thinking that BB was finally dead. After all, she was already seriously wounded and was going to be killed by FoxDIE either way.
This, or maybe she was mother to Solidus as well, but I don't think this is ever clarified at all.

As for Big Boss, Raiden/EVA rescued him prior to the events of MGS4. It is mentioned in Act 2/3.

Dibbz

Steiner_Zi said:
But no, as I have said so many times in this thread, EVA died believing that Ocelot had betrayed her, that Liquid Ocelot really existed. Which is why she says to Solid Snake "Then, I lost Ocelot". Ocelot chose a lonely path for his plan.
The only logical explanation is that EVA jumped into the fire on purpose so that both Liquid (so she believed) and the Patriots would be fooled into thinking that BB was finally dead. After all, she was already seriously wounded and was going to be killed by FoxDIE either way.
This, or maybe she was mother to Solidus as well, but I don't think this is ever clarified at all.

As for Big Boss, Raiden/EVA rescued him prior to the events of MGS4. It is mentioned in Act 2/3.
Still doesn't explain why she'd kill herself. Eva and Raiden rescued Big Boss but then who put Big Boss back together? Dr Madnar? If so then why did Eva not know that Big Boss was not in the bag? I honestly don't think she'd kill herself to make sure Snake go the job done. It just seems totaly wierd under these circumstances.

Darkpen

Banned
Kagari said:
I'm so pissed. I let me friend borrow my copy... and he played 1 hour and says the game is boring >:|
does he like mgs?

Anyways, thought I'd post this here, since the other one got lost.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335445

Truespeed said:
Fascinating case study of the role of SoftImage in MGS4

snake_hirez.jpg
snake_model_s.jpg

Link

• From a Single Storyboard...
  • Art Direction in Metal Gear Solid
  • Character Production Workflow
  • Gator: An Essential Function
  • Amazing Facial Animation
  • High-Quality Normal Maps Generated with Ultimapper
  • XSI's Cluster Constraint Function:
  • Turning Ideas into Reality
  • XSI Animation
  • Modeling Size
  • Texture Setting for General Machines
  • Modeling Using Calibration
  • Background Modeling Process
  • Role of Programmers
  • Finally

Okay, finally beat it; took me around 17 hours.

Overall, I feel like it was an awesome game, but what I said a couple posts above definitely still holds true; it just didn't grab me as much as MGS 1 and 3. I think a lot of that had to do with the disjointed feelings of the Acts. Likewise, I think that there was too much relying on past notable moments and mechanics that I would've liked
. I mean c'mon. Did we seriously need to re-create a Psycho Mantis battle? Yeah, it was awesome the first time. We don't need something that is so similar to it. And as cool as it was seeing Shadow Moses in HD and revisiting, the gameplay in that Act wasn't as exciting as the others.

I think that's why I liked MGS 3 so much; it was definitely MGS, but tread its own ground with brand new characters, storylines, antagonists, etc. It was definitely familiar, but new in its own right. While that's not to say that MGS4 didn't do a lot of new things, and that MGS4 had some really awesome moments, but too much of it felt... and it pains me to say this... fan-servicey.

When I finished MGS 1 and 3, I had this immediate urge to playthrough the entire game again. Hell, after finishing MGS 2 I wanted to replay the tanker sequence. But right now... I'm not feeling it to go back and play through 4, and it's definitely something I wouldn't have expected.

If I'm sounding too negative, I really don't want to be too down on the game. It's terrific and easily better then most of the other stuff on shelves. It's just that, while I was keeping my expectations in check, I had hoped that this would really be my personal game of the gen. Unfortunately, I think it's only limped into my top 5 so far this gen.

R-User!

dabookerman said:
I think, compared to the other games, trying to complete the game with no kills, lets say, on the hardest difficulty, will be insanely hard. There are moments when it's so easy to kill certain people ;p.

It is pretty hard, but I was able to do it albeit the percieved difficulty.

First and only playthrough so far:
Big Boss Hard
No Kills
No Alerts
No Continues
1 Freakin' Ration on the
motorcycle chase (3rd and 4th section)
I would've gotten the Foxhound? Rank if it had'nt of been for those pesky programmers at Koji-Pro! :p

Next stop: The Boss Extreme - Big Boss Emblem! o_O

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I bought the 80-gig pack about a month ago and was dead-set on selling off MGS4. Its one of those franchises where I want to like it but it just doesn't click. MGS, MGS: TTS, MGS2: Substance, MGS3: Subsistence. I tried playing all of those but couldn't even get an hour in. The only part I enjoyed was the VR missions of the first, particularly the ones where you play as the cyborg ninja.

Fast forward to today: beat MGS4 in 20 hours on solid normal. :D This version of MGS was much easier to handle. The controls felt better. Octocamo is a better soloution for changing camoflauge compared to MGS3. Less contrived codec talk.

There were still bad parts. Some of the cut scenes dragged on forever repeating the same thing over and over
, did Big Boss steal Vamps regeneration nanos? :lol The guy just wouldn't keel over!
Some of the situations were too difficult so I just ran through without sneaking.

I was loling at the final fight with Liquid. :lol All of a sudden it turns into a fighting game. I wish it used all of the face buttons like a standard fighter though. Would have been hilarious.

Overall the game was enjoyable. Kojima should start a new franchise: Ninja Raiden. :lol

IAmtheFMan said:
Okay, finally beat it; took me around 17 hours.

Overall, I feel like it was an awesome game, but what I said a couple posts above definitely still holds true; it just didn't grab me as much as MGS 1 and 3. I think a lot of that had to do with the disjointed feelings of the Acts. Likewise, I think that there was too much relying on past notable moments and mechanics that I would've liked
. I mean c'mon. Did we seriously need to re-create a Psycho Mantis battle? Yeah, it was awesome the first time. We don't need something that is so similar to it. And as cool as it was seeing Shadow Moses in HD and revisiting, the gameplay in that Act wasn't as exciting as the others.

I think that's why I liked MGS 3 so much; it was definitely MGS, but tread its own ground with brand new characters, storylines, antagonists, etc. It was definitely familiar, but new in its own right. While that's not to say that MGS4 didn't do a lot of new things, and that MGS4 had some really awesome moments, but too much of it felt... and it pains me to say this... fan-servicey.

When I finished MGS 1 and 3, I had this immediate urge to playthrough the entire game again. Hell, after finishing MGS 2 I wanted to replay the tanker sequence. But right now... I'm not feeling it to go back and play through 4, and it's definitely something I wouldn't have expected.

If I'm sounding too negative, I really don't want to be too down on the game. It's terrific and easily better then most of the other stuff on shelves. It's just that, while I was keeping my expectations in check, I had hoped that this would really be my personal game of the gen. Unfortunately, I think it's only limped into my top 5 so far this gen.

I agree that it wasnt perfect, and it was too much fan service. It's rather annoying imo the way he does the flashbacks, shadow moses could have been done better too. The MGS1 retro in the game was more interesting than the one in MGS4. Also, I personally hated a lot of the cutscenes and the mission briefings were disgusting. It saddens me to say this but it could have been much more.

HOWEVER

"I had hoped that this would really be my personal game of the gen. Unfortunately, I think it's only limped into my top 5 so far this gen."

This is where I disagree. It is still leagues above any other next gen game imo. I think this gen does not have that many classics (this fall could change that) but MGS4 is easily the top game.

womfalcs3

Banned
I just beat Crying Wolf. Much easier than the first two.
I just waited for her to come in sight of my sniper rifle scope under the tank.

Lion Heart said:
I agree that it wasnt perfect, and it was too much fan service. It's rather annoying imo the way he does the flashbacks, shadow moses could have been done better too. The MGS1 retro in the game was more interesting than the one in MGS4. Also, I personally hated a lot of the cutscenes and the mission briefings were disgusting. It saddens me to say this but it could have been much more.

HOWEVER

"I had hoped that this would really be my personal game of the gen. Unfortunately, I think it's only limped into my top 5 so far this gen."

This is where I disagree. It is still leagues above any other next gen game imo. I think this gen does not have that many classics (this fall could change that) but MGS4 is easily the top game.

If I had to name my top 5 right here and now, I'd choose Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, Orange Box (for Portal, EP:2 and TF2) maybe Rock Band considering the insane amount of time I spent with my friends... then MGS4. Just my opinion.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Just beat MGS4 on Solid Normal today, Best game ive ever played.
Holy shit at Big Boss still being alive, Fucking knew it!!!

About to start on the next difficulty up probly and not item whore stuff and never use it. I have a big problem with not wanting to use items and stock pile them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
womfalcs3 said:
I just beat Crying Wolf. Much easier than the first two.
I just waited for her to come in sight of my sniper rifle scope under the tank.
Missed out on what could have been one hell of an epic boss fight. ;)

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Rez>You said:

Unless it was really hard and did a few trys i could understand what he did, But using cheap tactics does take away from the epicness.
I was running around alot when fighting her, Was near the trees and when her railgun shot down all the trees near me in 1 shot i was like Ohhh shiiit.

Rez>You said:

It can be such a tense fight, the Haven troopers are an absolute nightmare on higher difficulties. Seeing trees falling over and Wolf bursting through the snow... fucking amazing.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Can some of you better players explain how you go through the game?

My intention was to go through like a ghost, no kills, no alerts etc. but this doesn't seem possible without stunning or knocking people out!

I gave up the no kills/no alert thing for, my first run through and I suppose my 2nd run will involve actually using some more advanced techniques/weapons which stun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom