• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
maniac-kun said:
i plan to buy a ps3 (little big planet pack) with metal gear solid 4 at the end of the month. the problem is i only have a sd tv and does mgs4 look okish on a sd tv and is it playable on it until i get a full hd tv some months later?
I've played on both, including a small SD TV and it still looks great. Virtually all the text is still readable.

Darkpen

Banned
maniac-kun said:
i plan to buy a ps3 (little big planet pack) with metal gear solid 4 at the end of the month. the problem is i only have a sd tv and does mgs4 look okish on a sd tv and is it playable on it until i get a full hd tv some months later?
If you're going to play on an SDTV, something you definitely want to do right off the bat, after the long initial installation, is go into options, and change the on-screen icon size to Large. This'll make it more managable to play on an SDTV. Text is still very difficult to read, especially if you're running on anything below an s-video cable, but its manageable. You're missing out on the finer details in the graphics by playing on an SDTV, but its nothing gamebreaking.

jett said:
It's because he has no idea what trophies are.
Or rather, I think it probably is relatively linked to having to deal with where they're heading in terms of the next game they're making, budgeting manpower, and perhaps dealing with the higher ups and Konami in general, just like that stupid ID crap Konami decided to initiate with MGO.

DrBo42

Randomly decided to play this again during the weekend. Surprising how fun it is when you don't go for the perfect run (which is what I did the past 3 play-throughs). I have no idea why I did that during my first play of the game. I enjoyed it much more this time. :lol

Guy Legend

Mets39 said:
Most likely, it means that trophies will be in MGS4: Existence/Subwhatyouwant

That would be bullshit. I'd rather them add trophies to the current game and sell an expansion or update via dlc. And update MGO to be free of the konami and game id's.

Mets39

Guy Legend said:
That would be bullshit. I'd rather them add trophies to the current game and sell an expansion or update via dlc. And update MGO to be free of the konami and game id's.

Well, if they do that they better put it on PSN because i can't buy anything on their shitty Store! But still, the idea of buying an expansion ... :lol

RyuHayate

Currently playing through Act 2 and still loving it.

My favorite moment so far?
When Laughing Octopus mimicked the Mk. II and tricked you into following her. I thought, "Cool, Otacon found a way out!" and then an unexpected explosion knocked Snake off his feet. "Not too smart are we?!"

It was classic Kojima and I loved it. :D

Dyno

Pulled out the game in order to kill some time before the Christmas rush of games. Completed it on Hard watching only a few of the cutscenes and really enjoyed it. I obtained a lot of different weapons and items, plus some secret areas. Enjoyed it so much I started again on Extreme and the same thing happened, there are items and areas that I didn't find the first two times through.

The game is really good for that.

Menaged

Finished Snake Eater yesterday for the 3rd time. Wasn't as good as I rememberd. The ending was great as always but the chase scenes didn't do it to me. Maybe I got spoiled by MGS4's chase scenes.

Anyway, Started my 2nd playthorugh of MGS4 today. Almost at the end of Act 1. It it so much fun. This time I try to not interfere in the battle, and just sneak by. I can't do this all the time, but when I can, and it works, it feels great.

jett

D-Member
RyuHayate said:
Started Act 3 last night and already the beginning is just too cool. :D

Tell me GAF, does this game keep getting better or what?

Act 3 will get really crappy before it becomes totally BALLS OUT AWESOME.

RyuHayate

jett said:
Act 3 will get really crappy before it becomes totally BALLS OUT AWESOME.

Oh. Regardless, I can't wait to see what's next!

BTW, does anyone know why the dialogue fades in and out (sometimes it's not even audible at all) during the Mission Briefings? Is it intentional to encourage the player to control the MK. II to hear and see what's going on or is it some kind of technical issue?

todahawk

Finally finished the game last night. Holy shit that was an epic final battle, very appropriate. The cut scenes were a bit much at times (i wanna play dammit) but I was unprepared for the awesomeness of the final acts. I got the game day one and just finished it, it'll be a bit before I can replay it, i'm drained.

Guy Legend

want trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies

Blader

RyuHayate said:
Oh. Regardless, I can't wait to see what's next!

BTW, does anyone know why the dialogue fades in and out (sometimes it's not even audible at all) during the Mission Briefings? Is it intentional to encourage the player to control the MK. II to hear and see what's going on or is it some kind of technical issue?

I was wondering that too. Thank God I had subtitles on.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
just got to the final fight on extreme

this game definitly gets better from start to finish.

the last area was a lot more compelling on extreme

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Guy Legend said:
want trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies

This x 100000000000000000000000000.
You think KojiPro would get on that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kagari said:
This x 100000000000000000000000000.
You think KojiPro would get on that.
:) Don't worry.

MercuryLS

Banned
i_am_ben said:
just finished the game. Acts 1and 2 were amazing!!!!!!!!! the rest of the game however was severly weaker.

Nah, there was just more of an emphasis on action set pieces than meaty gameplay. It was good but it should have been spread out more rather than piled on in the last three chapters. Honestly, gameplay-wise MGS3 was the most well rounded of the series. MGS4 was epic but it left you wanting more substance for all the style they gave you.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MercuryLS said:
MGS4 was epic but it left you wanting more substance for all the style they gave you.
On extreme difficulty, you pretty much used everything Snake could do.

If the game wasn't broken into acts... would people be saying the same things?

I would have liked a bit more but I like the idea that I'm going to several different countries in this game as opposed to the previous iterations. It's just like the movies... the characters sometimes spend brief moments here and there but spend large amounts of times elsewhere. Why would a game/movie/book have the final area(s) of the story take up such a large chunk of time to get through? That's what the build up is for. The final act should always be short on scene but full of substance. MGS4's final act gives us this.
There's sneaking, room clearing, boss fight, hallway clearing, crawling, and then final boss fight
. That's a lot of deep stuff for a section that gets a lot of hate.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Kagari said:
Did you win anything?
99% of the prizes was pre tournament stuff, for jsut getting 2nd place we also got trophees and i thiiiiink ipod touches (not sure, might be nanos like everyone else)

as a matter of fact we won more stuff overall than the winning team since they were Japanese and they didn't get a trip (so its cool that they won).

heres how the prizes worked

NA qualifiers:

$4000 (split between 6)
Trip to tokyo

Prizes for participation in tokyo:

gako clock
photo album
mgs 4 headset
ipod
stratagy guide
poster
signed stickers
japanese clothing (my personal favorite)
shirts
some extra money
ingame t shirts
dogtags
a lifesize statue

Prizes for coming 1st:

trophies
get your face in game
win awesome shirts in game and in real life

Yoshichan

Darkpen

Banned
lolololol, does the gako clock make the same noise as it does in the game when it go off? Is it the alarm clock of the forever? D:

Also, what does the poster look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom