• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Graphics Horse said:
Nice, from the facial animation video, it looks like Snake's Moustache is made of around 44 triangles :lol
11ky4on.jpg

damnit, I thought it was supposed to be 6000 or something! I bought this game and was going to play it when I get home in a couple of days...now Im going to return it if this is true...

Guy Legend

Just finished my first play through of this yesterday. Another fantastic Metal Gear game, though I don't know if its my favorite. It certainly wraps up the stories from the previous games quite well.

I played on Solid Normal for my first play through. I'll play it again on a higher difficulty....but I want trophies!

Imm0rt4l

Dibbz said:
Still doesn't explain why she'd kill herself. Eva and Raiden rescued Big Boss but then who put Big Boss back together? Dr Madnar? If so then why did Eva not know that Big Boss was not in the bag? I honestly don't think she'd kill herself to make sure Snake go the job done. It just seems totaly wierd under these circumstances.

eva died as a result of foxdie

nelsonroyale said:
damnit, I thought it was supposed to be 6000 or something! I bought this game and was going to play it when I get home in a couple of days...now Im going to return it if this is true...

I'm sure that was the case with the first TGS trailer.

It wouldn't really make sense to have a 5000 poly mustache in game :lol

womfalcs3 said:
I just beat Crying Wolf. Much easier than the first two.
I just waited for her to come in sight of my sniper rifle scope under the tank.
I have to say I did the same thing...just with a rocket launcher.

Worked well to not have to aim for her "special spot."

wotter

Just started replaying it, going for the Assassins badge.
Didn't even know there are two ways to the Vista mansion :D , and playing around with the soldiers in act 2 can literally take hours.

Menaged

I, for example, didn't hate Raiden in MGS2. It was Rose. I hated that blabbering bitch. She just go on and on about unintersting things...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
freethought said:
It can be such a tense fight, the Haven troopers are an absolute nightmare on higher difficulties. Seeing trees falling over and Wolf bursting through the snow... fucking amazing.
I wonder how many people actually saw the quick cuts to Wolf's point of view as she runs through the snow... that was brilliant.

Dibbz

Imm0rt4l said:
eva died as a result of foxdie
But she still jumped into the fire to save the corpse (which she should have know was not Big Boss)
Just doesn't make much sense to me :|

Dibbz said:
But she still jumped into the fire to save the corpse (which she should have know was not Big Boss)

At the end of the day you just have to accept the fact that it only happened to send the player down the wrong path. The scene was designed to confuse and trick you. If you really need a fictional motivation for her actions then you can pick and choose. I like the idea that it was simply an act, she was simply keeping up the pretense for any observers (including Snake), and since she was dead anyway what difference would it make?
I mean, it still doesn't make much sense, but the series is full of people choosing symbolic deaths over quiet lives.

Yagharek

Dibbz said:

Maybe they were going to
use parts of Solidus' body parts to help reconstruct Big Boss' body?

Dibbz

RandomVince said:
Maybe they were going to
use parts of Solidus' body parts to help reconstruct Big Boss' body?
But by then Big Boss was already fixed up wasn't he? Wasn't that what Eva and Raiden did when they rescued him before MGS4?

Yagharek

Bearillusion said:
Or maybe
my pacman ce score is higher than yours :p

You shut your dirty mouth!
:p

Dibbz: Is that in the mgs4 database? I havent checked and was just going by what mightve been in the games alone.

Dibbz

RandomVince said:
You shut your dirty mouth!
:p

Dibbz: Is that in the mgs4 database? I havent checked and was just going by what mightve been in the games alone.
Well Raiden does say that
he rescued Big Boss for Eva after she helped get him free from the patriots. That was how Eva had the corpse which was meant to be Big Boss, in Europe.

Big Boss getting fixed up can't fit anywhere in the MGS4 timeline, it just doesn't fit with what Raiden, Eva etc are doing so it had to have happened when they retrieved his body.

My guess is that Big Boss was fixed before 4 and Kojima fucked up the plot in Europe.
:|

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Dibbz said:

Unless I'm missing something (as the game is slightly ambiguous about this)
Solidus was her son. I wouldn't like to see my son being burnt to death, and I'm sure she wouldn't either.

Either way the entire ending of Act 3 was
to drill home a sense of "we have to see this through to the end" to Snake and the player. MGS4 is one of the few games I've played in which the player's character's mother dies (let alone even make an appearance in the first place) and it had a rather powerful effect on me, especially coupled with the awesomness of Act 4 that followed.

Dibbz

industrian said:
Unless I'm missing something (as the game is slightly ambiguous about this)
Solidus was her son. I wouldn't like to see my son being burnt to death, and I'm sure she wouldn't either.
The thing is, she never once mentioned Solidus, even when talking about the Les Enfants Terribles project and there were no hints that she even cared for the guy. Throughtout the whole of Act 3 Eva had Big Boss on her mind. If one thing was drilled home in act 3, it was the fact that Eva would do anything for Big Boss. With all the flashbacks that she was having it makes no sense to me that she jumped n the fire knowing it wasn't Big Boss.

Dibbz said:
The thing is, she never once mentioned Solidus, even when talking about the Les Enfants Terribles project and there were no hints that she even cared for the guy. Throughtout the whole of Act 3 Eva had Big Boss on her mind. If one thing was drilled home in act 3, it was the fact that Eva would do anything for Big Boss. With all the flashbacks that she was having it makes no sense to me that she jumped n the fire knowing it wasn't Big Boss.

What if
she simply didn't want her son to be responsible for her death? Surely that's a greater motivation than some final symbolic sacrifice.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Dibbz said:
The thing is, she never once mentioned Solidus, even when talking about the Les Enfants Terribles project and there were no hints that she even cared for the guy.

My understanding is that Solidus
wasn't part of the Les Enfants Terrible project in the first place, and that he was created solely because Solid and Liquid were not "pure" clones. The fact he followed directly in the footsteps of Big Boss by becoming a mercenary warlord and aged extremely quickly - not to mention the fact he was "chosen" to be President, hints at the fact he wasn't included in the original project and wasn't EVA's son - but as MGS4 was ambiguous over Solidus' origins, it's fully possible that he was born alongside Solid and Liquid.

icechai

played and beat Act 1. Took 5 hours. The last MGS game I played was the first MGS for PS1. All I have to say is, WOW! So many choices you can make and paths to take. Loving the fact that you can really play it how you want it, whether its sneaking around and knife shocking, pulling guards away to slit their throats, shooting them from afar, knocking them with stun grenades, sniping, sending your robot to shock them, all of that really early on. Its really amazing when you think about it and compare it to other games you play these days. Takes that first MGS game into a whole new realm of gaming.

With that said, I hear the later levels don't offer as much in the way of gameplay and its more "cinematic"? We shall see :) Will get back onto it this weekend.

Okay, so I played the opening and five minutes of the game after the scene with campbell...

!?!?!?!?!?! feck this is awesome...graphics the most impressive since crysis and incredible presentation...no doubt this will be my fave game this year...decided to save it till christmass, want to give this game its proper due...

Darkpen

Banned
So I thought I'd boot up MGS4 again to download whatever new ipod songs and whatnot are available (along with inputting two passwords), and while I was watching the cutscenes, I realized something.

Anyone that played MPO when that came out remember that Elyssa tells Snake that "his son would bring the world to ruin, and that his son would save the world."

Everyone just assumed she was talking about Solid and Liquid, and since
Liquid's plans fell short when he died, and since Solidus more or less failed in stopping the Patriots, and since at the end of MGS4, its made clear that Liquid never actually took over Ocelot's body (according to Big Boss, anyways), then her prophecy doesn't entirely make sense, unless she's referring to how Solid Snake kept sabatoging the other brothers or something.

According to the MGS database, both "theories" regarding Liquid/Ocelot are correct, which is something that pisses me off about the database. It says that Liquid's spirit took over Ocelot, but it also says that Ocelot was just acting with the help of nanomachines and psychotherapy. Its like, wtf, which is it?

And considering that the story, post MGS1, has been made up as they went, and with the recent 1up Kojima interview in mind, I can't help but feel unsatisfied. Emotionally, yes, I'm very satisfied. The game delivered in many respects, but the patchwork on wrapping up loose ends was not perfect, with the MGS database only complicating things even further.

Its been 3 months since MGS4 released, and I feel unsatisfied, and I don't know why. Its like, that small itty bitty tinge of doubt and not-entirely-living-up-to-the-hype has somehow widened, and looking back at the game, as well as the series as a whole, I feel... disappointed?

Maybe its because I've played each and every game more than 10 times (except for MG1 and 2), and I know the whos, whats, wheres, whys, and hows, so I've somehow become jaded, and the magic's gone because of it.

If there's one thing that continues to bug me, its the lack of a theatre mode, or the lack of extra quirky things, whether its this, or that. Just things that gave massive replay value. The weapons are nice, and seeing videos and finding out I can pull stuff off that I would have never known unless I was really shitty at the game, but... its just lacking in more.

Oh, and charging for that DLC definitely hurts. How do they expect people to continue playing the game, or wanting to, if they're going to seal off an entire mode via DLC? That's retarded.

Ugh.

Sunny was such a bit role. She wasn't even necessary, the way they treated her character. She was simply there as an answer to whether or not Olga's child was saved.

I think that, as important as Snake is, people wanted to play what happened right after 2, and instead, we got 5-10 years later, where the immediate problems were solved, and something much greater, that the player didn't know anything about, was afoot.

And in the end, I don't think the majority of people who played MGS4 really got the whole PMC message across. People who don't watch the news, and don't know about Blackwater, won't care. They'll just say "what the hell does 'PMC' mean?" and leave it at that
*cough*Yahtzee*cough*

And something else that bothers me is how people who watch MGS4 don't think of it as something that comes from a Japanese source, and is therefore localized. Instead, they think its just bad writing/acting, from a western cinematography/english-speaking standpoint. I don't know whether that's a great accomplishment of the localization team, or if its simply that the people who express such opinions simply dislike what MGS has to offer.

I'm afraid for the next Metal Gear, and at the same time, hopeful. Hopeful that they'll make it fresh again, and afraid that it'll be the same. I hope Kojima does something new, and that the young staff members take a drastic new take on the franchise.

Darkpen said:
So I thought I'd boot up MGS4 again to download whatever new ipod songs and whatnot are available (along with inputting two passwords), and while I was watching the cutscenes, I realized something.

Anyone that played MPO when that came out remember that Elyssa tells Snake that "his son would bring the world to ruin, and that his son would save the world."

Everyone just assumed she was talking about Solid and Liquid, and since
Liquid's plans fell short when he died, and since Solidus more or less failed in stopping the Patriots, and since at the end of MGS4, its made clear that Liquid never actually took over Ocelot's body (according to Big Boss, anyways), then her prophecy doesn't entirely make sense, unless she's referring to how Solid Snake kept sabatoging the other brothers or something.

According to the MGS database, both "theories" regarding Liquid/Ocelot are correct, which is something that pisses me off about the database. It says that Liquid's spirit took over Ocelot, but it also says that Ocelot was just acting with the help of nanomachines and psychotherapy. Its like, wtf, which is it?

And considering that the story, post MGS1, has been made up as they went, and with the recent 1up Kojima interview in mind, I can't help but feel unsatisfied. Emotionally, yes, I'm very satisfied. The game delivered in many respects, but the patchwork on wrapping up loose ends was not perfect, with the MGS database only complicating things even further.

Its been 3 months since MGS4 released, and I feel unsatisfied, and I don't know why. Its like, that small itty bitty tinge of doubt and not-entirely-living-up-to-the-hype has somehow widened, and looking back at the game, as well as the series as a whole, I feel... disappointed?

Maybe its because I've played each and every game more than 10 times (except for MG1 and 2), and I know the whos, whats, wheres, whys, and hows, so I've somehow become jaded, and the magic's gone because of it.

If there's one thing that continues to bug me, its the lack of a theatre mode, or the lack of extra quirky things, whether its this, or that. Just things that gave massive replay value. The weapons are nice, and seeing videos and finding out I can pull stuff off that I would have never known unless I was really shitty at the game, but... its just lacking in more.

Oh, and charging for that DLC definitely hurts. How do they expect people to continue playing the game, or wanting to, if they're going to seal off an entire mode via DLC? That's retarded.

Ugh.

Sunny was such a bit role. She wasn't even necessary, the way they treated her character. She was simply there as an answer to whether or not Olga's child was saved.

I think that, as important as Snake is, people wanted to play what happened right after 2, and instead, we got 5-10 years later, where the immediate problems were solved, and something much greater, that the player didn't know anything about, was afoot.

And in the end, I don't think the majority of people who played MGS4 really got the whole PMC message across. People who don't watch the news, and don't know about Blackwater, won't care. They'll just say "what the hell does 'PMC' mean?" and leave it at that
*cough*Yahtzee*cough*

And something else that bothers me is how people who watch MGS4 don't think of it as something that comes from a Japanese source, and is therefore localized. Instead, they think its just bad writing/acting, from a western cinematography/english-speaking standpoint. I don't know whether that's a great accomplishment of the localization team, or if its simply that the people who express such opinions simply dislike what MGS has to offer.

I'm afraid for the next Metal Gear, and at the same time, hopeful. Hopeful that they'll make it fresh again, and afraid that it'll be the same. I hope Kojima does something new, and that the young staff members take a drastic new take on the franchise.

Dude, you're stretching it a bit with your wild assumptions as to how people may have taken the game. Did you invite a group of people to watch you play MGS4 and collect their opinions? Most people loved the game. Not everyone takes it serious. And how the hell do you know how the majority of people have taken in the whole PMC content? You know for a fact that "they just say 'what the hell does PMC mean?'". Give people some credit, man.

Though Sunny's part was very minor, her role was to convey a sense of innocense within this war environment. To prove that there was something in the future worth protecting. It sort of shows us why Snake has to fulfill his mission. Not only was she vital in the completion of the AI virus thing, she's also the "heir" of this new world. This is shown when she makes a friend who "doesn't even speak the same language". Peace and innocense have overcome..... until next time.

artist

Banned
One of the best games I've ever played and this is the first MGS game I'm playing ..

The sequence on the
bike
was amazing, so cinematic and beautifully choreographed.

Right now I'm at the level where I've to kill
Vamp
. I know I have to
inject him with the syringe
but I cannot
capture him with CQC
. Here is what I'm doing ..
I shoot him in the head till he drops, go around his back while he's regenerating, equip the syringe and a pistol/knife and press L1
. What I'm a doing wrong? Tips please. :)

Dever

Banned
irfan said:
One of the best games I've ever played and this is the first MGS game I'm playing ..

The sequence on the
bike
was amazing, so cinematic and beautifully choreographed.

Right now I'm at the level where I've to kill
Vamp
. I know I have to
inject him with the syringe
but I cannot
capture him with CQC
. Here is what I'm doing ..
I shoot him in the head till he drops, go around his back while he's regenerating, equip the syringe and a pistol/knife and press L1
. What I'm a doing wrong? Tips please. :)

Just throw him on the ground. You can then easily grab him when when he stands up again. That's what I did, anyway.

artist

Banned
Dever said:
Just throw him on the ground. You can then easily grab him when when he stands up again. That's what I did, anyway.
How do I throw him down?

Also R1 is for fire.
As soon as I fire him, he gets away..

kuYuri

A new song called "On the Edge" was released today, as well as a new camo called Haven camo.

EDIT: Sorry, On the Edge was released last week. My mistake.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Was it proven to be fake when that news about new content or ending being hidden in MGS4 that will only be unlocked at a certain date?
Seems like a lot of stuff is being shown now with the new MGS Meme online pack.

I bought my MGS4 PS3 bundle way back in July.. but refused to play it until I had a proper HDTV. Now that I finally got it everything is in place to begin this sure to be epic game. I've stayed away from trailers/screens/everything in preparation for this long awaited moment. :D :D :D

Anyways, on to my quick question. Being a MGS veteran, what difficulty should I start MGS4 on? I've been through MGS1 on extreme (frustrating to say the least) and MGS3 on hard for reference.

Barakov

MeshuggahMan said:
Anyways, on to my quick question. Being a MGS veteran, what difficulty should I start MGS4 on? I've been through MGS1 on extreme (frustrating to say the least) and MGS3 on hard for reference.

Probably Solid Normal.

RyuHayate

Got the LE yesterday and finished Act 1 last night :D

I'm REALLY digging the large environments, which I find are very refreshing for the series.

That encounter with the F.R.O.G.S was a great change of pace, too.

I am finally getting around to playing this game. I picked it up when it first came out and was able to finish the first act. Then my system started acting funny and I reset the hard drive. Since then, I've just waited for a good time to play the game. Last night was that good time. Now I can't wait to continue playing it. So sweet.

i plan to buy a ps3 (little big planet pack) with metal gear solid 4 at the end of the month. the problem is i only have a sd tv and does mgs4 look okish on a sd tv and is it playable on it until i get a full hd tv some months later?

oneHeero

maniac-kun said:
i plan to buy a ps3 (little big planet pack) with metal gear solid 4 at the end of the month. the problem is i only have a sd tv and does mgs4 look okish on a sd tv and is it playable on it until i get a full hd tv some months later?
Lots of HD games still look great on sd tvs. MGS4 is a game you can play on sdtv and replay it on HDTV when you get one.

jett

D-Member
maniac-kun said:

Looks really good in SD, one of the better looking PS3 games on my SDTV in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom