• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did you like about it? On reflection MGS4 is pretty disappointing. Just the amount of loading interuptions particularly in chase scenes soured the whole thing to a degree. Add in respawning enemies....

rikichi

-COOLIO- said:
japanese clothing (my personal favorite)

awesome. what kind of brands? style?

btw, good job on the tournament.

you guys were kickin ass until.....the end.

in the end, you guys were the real winners, you guys got a ton of shit.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
rikichi said:
awesome. what kind of brands? style?

btw, good job on the tournament.

you guys were kickin ass until.....the end.

in the end, you guys were the real winners, you guys got a ton of shit.

ohhh, i meant old style japaneezy clothes. Like stuff sushi chefs wear and stuff. It's a traditional robe, with traditional slippers, and a traditional bandana

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Darkpen said:
lolololol, does the gako clock make the same noise as it does in the game when it go off? Is it the alarm clock of the forever? D:

Also, what does the poster look like?
i hope so! I havnt found any AAA batteries yet D;

and the poster is one of the jmgo cover.

Facism

-COOLIO- said:
baaaaaaaaaaaah

i agree. The middle east and South America felt too short.
Shadow Moses felt like a massive missed opportunity. It felt like they used it for nostalgia's sake and stopped there. Could have been turned into a mini MGS1 section with FROGs and Gekko, rather than a historic and painless jaunt towards cutscenes and Vamp.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fizzle said:
Does anyone know a way to take down, Laughing Octopus, with a tranquilliser?
Simply shoot her body, IIRC she has a huge metal thing on her head so headshots doesn't work.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Facism said:
i agree. The middle east and South America felt too short.
Shadow Moses felt like a massive missed opportunity. It felt like they used it for nostalgia's sake and stopped there. Could have been turned into a mini MGS1 section with FROGs and Gekko, rather than a historic and painless jaunt towards cutscenes and Vamp.
act 4 was my favorite ; _;

ramboing the little gekko was very entertaining

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ether_Snake said:
You have to wait for her to be hidden and shoot her then.
Yeah but you can also shoot her when she's walking slowly towards you. Shoot at her boobies.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Fizzle said:
I've tried this but she simply deflects all my shots. :[
She only deflects bullets when she's "retreating," other wise she's open. And like Seiken said, it doesn't matter what part of the body you shoot her, it does the same damage.

Are you using the Mosin Nagant sniper rifle? Makes it easier. Sleeping Gas mines are also really effective.

BigBoss

raziel said:
Gako makes an appearance in the newest installment as a kitchen timer, Solid Snake used it as a camouflage in Metal Gear Solid 3 and in Metal Gear Online as well as Metal Gear portable OPs, this little mascot appears as an item.

does anyone have a pic of this?

ga-ko.jpg

Blablurn said:
Damn, June was so good ,_, I miss the MGS4 release time.

So true. The buildup to the release was so awesome and it felt so good to finally play it. It fizzled out for me, at least MGO did but lately I've been considering a revival. I love the game despite some of its flaws. Damn what a game, what a fucking game.

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm a MGS2-hater, and avoided MGS3 at all cost because of it. Now after having bought and played MGS4 I just want to say that I enjoyed the game surprisingly well. As expected it's staccato, but still good. Cutscenes are awful (I watched all of them in full, and they are very well crafted, but they just go on and on and on and on even after whatever point has been made), and the story is awful if you take it seriously, but the game itself sure is a high quality game, and most importantly; mostly fun. Money well spent.

Yoshichan

bj00rn_ said:
I'm a MGS2-hater, and avoided MGS3 at all cost because of it. Now after having bought and played MGS4 I just want to say that I enjoyed the game surprisingly well. As expected it's staccato, but still good. and the story is awful if you take it seriously, but the game itself sure is a high quality game, and most importantly; mostly fun. Money well spent.
odKbxMbwv.jpg

bj00rn_ said:
I'm a MGS2-hater, and avoided MGS3 at all cost because of it.

Congratulations on missing the best MGS title. I guess you don't know there are aspects in MGS3 with the purpose of satisfying those who didn't like MGS2.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Philanthropist said:
Congratulations on missing the best MGS title. I guess you don't know there are aspects in MGS3 with the purpose of satisfying those who didn't like MGS2.
Is there an HQ pic of your avatar?

Yoshichan

ilanna said:
Damn this thread makes me want to play MGS4 again!
Tell me about it... this'll be my fifth time through the game but I made a promise. I wouldn't even touch the game until it's patched with trophies!

MercuryLS

Banned
Philanthropist said:

I almost missed out on MGS3 because of MGS2, thank god GAF pushed me to get it. It's the best overall MGS title by a country mile, such an amazing experience.

Facism

Seiken said:
Tell me about it... this'll be my fifth time through the game but I made a promise. I wouldn't even touch the game until it's patched with trophies!

i so hope to god half of those are multiplayer, just to spite you ;p

Darkpen

Banned
bj00rn_ said:
I'm a MGS2-hater, and avoided MGS3 at all cost because of it. Now after having bought and played MGS4 I just want to say that I enjoyed the game surprisingly well. As expected it's staccato, but still good. Cutscenes are awful (I watched all of them in full, and they are very well crafted, but they just go on and on and on and on even after whatever point has been made), and the story is awful if you take it seriously, but the game itself sure is a high quality game, and most importantly; mostly fun. Money well spent.
fail D:

But seriously, guys, what I posted earlier this morning...

I was taking a shower, and as usual, I was just doing freeflow thinking, when suddenly, I realized, "beauty killed the beast."

The whole freaking "Beauty and Beast" thing with MGS4 stems from the freaking MGS2 King Kong thing. Jesus. I mean, sure, technically they further explore what the terms imply (though honestly, the B&B corp was poorly executed as a boss group, especially with Drebin explaining everything). Not to mention, there's a distinct overuse of the beast analogy with Snake and Raiden's existence that's difficult to decipher as to exactly what they mean.

But seriously, it was that damned King Kong reference.

that light/darkness/extinguish analogy that Eva gives before her death was kind of really crappy, though.
As a player, throughout the game, rarely do you understand Snake's mindset, especially when it clashes with the player's mindset, but all is forgiven in the last act :p

Yoshichan

Facism said:
i so hope to god half of those are multiplayer, just to spite you ;p
I played MGO a lot and loved every minute of it... I still have no idea why PS3 crashes when starting MGO :(

-COOLIO- said:
99% of the prizes was pre tournament stuff, for jsut getting 2nd place we also got trophees and i thiiiiink ipod touches (not sure, might be nanos like everyone else)

as a matter of fact we won more stuff overall than the winning team since they were Japanese and they didn't get a trip (so its cool that they won).

heres how the prizes worked

NA qualifiers:

$4000 (split between 6)
Trip to tokyo

Prizes for participation in tokyo:

gako clock
photo album
mgs 4 headset
ipod
stratagy guide
poster
signed stickers
japanese clothing (my personal favorite)
shirts
some extra money
ingame t shirts
dogtags
a lifesize statue

Prizes for coming 1st:

trophies
get your face in game
win awesome shirts in game and in real life
got any pics of the life size statue, tshirts,stickers and photo album?

Wasn't the 1st place winner a kid?
Its gonna be lol seeing a little kid's face on an adult soldier's body.

Facism

Seiken said:
I played MGO a lot and loved every minute of it... I still have no idea why PS3 crashes when starting MGO :(

is that the problem? I always thought your copy of MGS4 was cracked or something physical and you were yet to replace it.

Doesn't really matter now, loads of the original Bee guys left for other clans without realising you couldn't get involved and admin the clan. Wasp is pretty much stagnant, the 30 or so people outside of the 8 of us who played regularly were never active ;p

Think Dave was playing some MGO tonight, was tempted to join in. If the new expansion is at a proper price (ie not £8, but £4) i'll probably jump in after checking how healthy the player count is. Was increasing when i stopped playing.

Yoshichan

Facism said:
is that the problem? I always thought your copy of MGS4 was cracked or something physical and you were yet to replace it.
Yeah that was it, I couldn't replace it since I bought it from the states and I live in Europe :( I'll pretty sure I'll end up buying a new copy of the game soon, for two reasons: support Kojima Productions and finally being able to play MGO.

Facism said:
Think Dave was playing some MGO tonight, was tempted to join in. If the new expansion is at a proper price (ie not £8, but £4) i'll probably jump in after checking how healthy the player count is. Was increasing when i stopped playing.
Yeah I'm buying the new expansion even though I won't be able to play it :lol Anything to support.

Oh yeah I still can't believe that MGO, out of all the frustrating games out there, was the game that fucked up my Sixaxis :lol I played so many games with my cousin where we had this rule "only CQC". So I'd get stunned and I had to push the analog stick back and forth while shaking the controller at the same time (for maximum effect!). Hours, days later, my Sixaxis said "Fuck you man, I can't handle this shit!" :( :lol

Facism

Seiken said:
Yeah that was it, I couldn't replace it since I bought it from the states and I live in Europe :( I'll pretty sure I'll end up buying a new copy of the game soon, for two reasons: support Kojima Productions and finally being able to play MGO.

Yeah I'm buying the new expansion even though I won't be able to play it :lol Anything to support.

Oh yeah I still can't believe that MGO, out of all the frustrating games out there, was the game that fucked up my Sixaxis :lol I played so many games with my cousin where we had this rule "only CQC". So I'd get stunned and I had to push the analog stick back and forth while shaking the controller at the same time (for maximum effect!). Hours, days later, my Sixaxis said "Fuck you man, I can't handle this shit!" :( :lol

bro add me to your psn friends list (surprised we're not on each other's FL).

PSN: Live_Feed

If you manage to get back into MGO, i'll give it a shot. R2 incoming too :D

My only pad issues at the moment is a squeaky R2 trigger due to Fifa 09 sprinting ;p

Yoshichan

You're not on my friends list, what the hell? I hope I didn't accidentally delete you yesterday when I was checking through my friends on PSN. I deleted anyone who hadn't signed in on PSN for the last 30 days... but I guess you've been online? Anyway, will add you tomorrow!

There's a couple of games that I'm buying that are coming this year with online, namely LBP, R2 and Pacific Rift!

i want to play mgs4 and mgo, but i cant, because i have no ps3 ;_; damn you sony:lol

(thank god that i was able to borrow my friends ps3 last june to play the game at least once)

RyuHayate

Just started Act 5 and I'm starting to suck now for some reason.

I'm failing in the worst way sneaking past the F.R.O.G.s patrolling the area. I'm going to try playing dead and see if that works. It probably won't, but at this point I'm hoping that they'll pick Snake up and trigger a cut scene where they deliver his supposed dead body to Liquid.

RyuHayate said:

I'm failing in the worst way sneaking past the F.R.O.G.s patrolling the area. I'm going to try playing dead and see if that works. It probably won't, but at this point I'm hoping that they'll pick Snake up and trigger a cut scene where they deliver his supposed dead body to Liquid.

Such an excellent section. It's probably my favourite part of the game.

Darkpen

Banned
RyuHayate said:

lol, nope. dead don't work unless you're either next to a corpse, you have corpse camo, or they lose their line of sight, only to find you dead.

Also, if you've played the mgs2 tanker mission, a few minor hints on exploration: take up any route you can find, whether on the ground, or up above

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Darkpen said:
fail D:

But seriously, guys, what I posted earlier this morning...

I was taking a shower, and as usual, I was just doing freeflow thinking, when suddenly, I realized, "beauty killed the beast."

The whole freaking "Beauty and Beast" thing with MGS4 stems from the freaking MGS2 King Kong thing. Jesus. I mean, sure, technically they further explore what the terms imply (though honestly, the B&B corp was poorly executed as a boss group, especially with Drebin explaining everything). Not to mention, there's a distinct overuse of the beast analogy with Snake and Raiden's existence that's difficult to decipher as to exactly what they mean.

But seriously, it was that damned King Kong reference.

that light/darkness/extinguish analogy that Eva gives before her death was kind of really crappy, though.
As a player, throughout the game, rarely do you understand Snake's mindset, especially when it clashes with the player's mindset, but all is forgiven in the last act :p
I'm intrigued by your epiphany Darkpen, but I'm super slow. Pray tell, in what way did "beauty kill the beast"?

Well I just finished the game up. FUCK (in a good way)

Keeping it short, or at least trying to:
Things I liked:
-nay LOVED. The return to shadow moses. I really didn't see it coming, but when colonel started saying "You know where..." in the mission briefing I got as giddy as.... well I got really excited. Getting to shadow moses again was seriously incredible. Using the ending theme from MGS1 while having short little audio flashbacks was just SO AMAZING. I honestly explored every inch of every room before progressing forward.
-I also heard about the microwave scene being incredible too.. and everyone was right. It truly was awesome. I was pressing triangle for dear life trying to save snake hahah.

Things I didn't like:
-Was Naomi played by the same voice actor just without the accent? I don't know I would have liked to have seen her the same way she was. But that's pretty nitpicky.
-Some small story elements seemed to be presented confusingly.. guess I'll just have to play through it again :D
-This whole game caused me to remember the tragedy that was MGS2 (yes, i hated it) so I could connect characters to how they got there :lol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
MeshuggahMan said:
Well I just finished the game up. FUCK (in a good way)

Keeping it short, or at least trying to:
Things I liked:
-nay LOVED. The return to shadow moses. I really didn't see it coming, but when colonel started saying "You know where..." in the mission briefing I got as giddy as.... well I got really excited. Getting to shadow moses again was seriously incredible. Using the ending theme from MGS1 while having short little audio flashbacks was just SO AMAZING. I honestly explored every inch of every room before progressing forward.
-I also heard about the microwave scene being incredible too.. and everyone was right. It truly was awesome. I was pressing triangle for dear life trying to save snake hahah.

Things I didn't like:
-Was Naomi played by the same voice actor just without the accent? I don't know I would have liked to have seen her the same way she was. But that's pretty nitpicky.
-Some small story elements seemed to be presented confusingly.. guess I'll just have to play through it again :D
-This whole game caused me to remember the tragedy that was MGS2 (yes, i hated it) so I could connect characters to how they got there :lol

your favorites are my favorites.

the nostalgia trip that was act 4 was amazing. I also loved the epic final fight there, even if it was easy.

and its amazing how context can make tapping triangle feel like an epic struggle.

SMZC

I was just watching some of MGS3's cut-scenes, and I can't believe how KP has made such a disappointing game (MGS4) after this. To me, MGS4 has absolutely nothing on MGS3, whether we're talking about character development, storyline, twists or the way the storyline is developed.

Actual storyline aside, one of the things that made me dislike MGS4 is the "acts" structure. At first I thought that having different acts taking place in different settings was a good idea, but after playing MGS4 I realized that the storyline just isn't as well developed as in MGS1, MGS2 or MGS3, and that's because of the new structure. For example, at the end of the game the climax is just kind of there, while in previous games the games prepared you for it little by little while you were getting close to the ending.

Overall, I guess the storylines were more focused. In MGS4 you suddenly see yourself in
Shadow Moses
because you know you have to do something there, and then the game just puts
Outer Haven
in front of your face and you just have to believe that's the climax and your final objective, even though they never mentioned that location in any of the first three acts (and just once in the fourth one). It's the exact opposite of knowing that your last objective in MGS3 is assassinating The Boss and knowing that you're getting close little by little to fullfilling your role (just to mention one example).

Whatever they do with MGS5, I really hope they go back to the classic structure of the series, even if that means having less level variety. I loved how focused the series had always been in this regard instead of putting you in different levels just for the sake of level variety like most other games do, and I hate that they ditched this structure in MGS4.

okrim

Banned
One thing I'll never understand of MGS 4: the installation. Why every act even the 2 time who played? It's really a shit...konami programmer you fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom