• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved MGS3 but MGS2 is the besssttttt.

Kojima is at his best when he's being a goof ass, not trying to be George Lucas.

But he is damn fine at making Snake like James Bond. :lol

okrim said:
One thing I'll never understand of MGS 4: the installation. Why every act even the 2 time who played? It's really a shit...konami programmer you fail.

The programmers succeeded.

They were showing you how cool you look while you take a slow satisfying drag off of a marlborough red cigarette.

KongRudi

Banned
okrim said:
One thing I'll never understand of MGS 4: the installation. Why every act even the 2 time who played? It's really a shit...konami programmer you fail.

It's probably because it uninstalls previous data, when it extract and installs the data for next act. Afterall this game is using a 50GB Bluray, and if you were supposed to keep it all on your HDD, it would probably be alot. :-/

havent really played mgs4 much yet, but I liked mgs2 as much as mgs3...infact I havent completed 3 yet (copy doesnt work on my ps3). From what Ive played of four I prefer it to 3 though...atmosphere and presentation is just off the hook...gameplay also seems more refined...

Personally, I find all mgs games to have been a consistant experience...can't see how mgs3 has the best anything by a significant margin...theres many points it improved upon sure, but that was just consistant with improvements made by earlier entries...and despite having some great villains, it also had some uninteresting ones....such as bee man

AmMortal

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
havent really played mgs4 much yet, but I liked mgs2 as much as mgs3...infact I havent completed 3 yet (copy doesnt work on my ps3). From what Ive played of four I prefer it to 3 though...atmosphere and presentation is just off the hook...gameplay also seems more refined...

Personally, I find all mgs games to have been a consistant experience...can't see how mgs3 has the best anything by a significant margin...theres many points it improved upon sure, but that was just consistant with improvements made by earlier entries...and despite having some great villains, it also had some uninteresting ones....such as bee man

So true, MGS games managed to stay diverse and consistant at the same time.

okrim said:
Wat? Are you serious? It's the only game on the ps3 who has this shit...

The game installs like 4gig at first yeah? Then it has to install an extra xxx amount of mb or whatever for each Act. I think Sony have a 5gig install limit for every game.

I wish they would have made it an option at least ;x It's not like I am desperate for space...

okrim

Banned
nelsonroyale said:

Well, in my opinion MGS 3 has the best gameplay in the series; try to play setting different difficulty and you'll understand why. Well balanced and great satisfaction. MGS 4 has the best story and emotion experience but unfortunately after the 2 act gameplay get really worse.

okrim

Banned
dabookerman said:
The game installs like 4gig at first yeah? Then it has to install an extra xxx amount of mb or whatever for each Act. I think Sony have a 5gig install limit for every game.

I wish they would have made it an option at least ;x It's not like I am desperate for space...
I talk of install, not of the space. And really I don't believe it's a sony problem but a total incapacity of konami programmers: low textures, low res shadow, limited areas dimensions and they are unable to have a 5gig installed space without rewrite at any install? It's a joke?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
okrim said:
Well, in my opinion MGS 3 has the best gameplay in the series; try to play setting different difficulty and you'll understand why. Well balanced and great satisfaction. MGS 4 has the best story and emotion experience but unfortunately after the 2 act gameplay get really worse.

MGS3 is fantastic, but I really disliked how fast your stamina went to zero. I heard his stomach rumble for at least 80% of the game. In my first play through, it also took a while before I realized what that sound was. It creeped me out! :D

okrim

Banned
StarEye said:
MGS3 is fantastic, but I really disliked how fast your stamina went to zero. I heard his stomach rumble for at least 80% of the game. In my first play through, it also took a while before I realized what that sound was. It creeped me out! :D
There is a reason for this: probably the stamina lower often because you equip too weapons or objects in the menu, or you run too frequently. In mgs3 every thing is balanced and it has a reason.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
okrim said:
There is a reason for this: probably the stamina lower often because you equip too weapons or objects in the menu, or you run too frequently. In mgs3 every thing is balanced and it has a reason.

The number of stuff you equip has a say on the stamina? I can understand running, but I hardly run. I have to spend a lot of time on hunting and eating if I want to keep my stamina up. But if the amount of stuff equipped seriously affects how fast the stamina goes down - I guess I'll have to play through it again, just to see.

StarEye said:
The number of stuff you equip has a say on the stamina? I can understand running, but I hardly run. I have to spend a lot of time on hunting and eating if I want to keep my stamina up. But if the amount of stuff equipped seriously affects how fast the stamina goes down - I guess I'll have to play through it again, just to see.
Every item and weapon weighs a certain amount, it tells you how much. The more weight you have equipped the faster your stamina drops.

Darkpen

Banned
Catalix said:
I'm intrigued by your epiphany Darkpen, but I'm super slow. Pray tell, in what way did "beauty kill the beast"?
its the last line in King Kong, which is a movie that Jack and Rose watched, and talked about in MGS2 (and then flashbacked in MGS4).

"beauty" and "beast" are running themes in MGS4, and I think its something that stems from the King Kong reference, and just sort of grows into its own thing, with the PTSD victims, child soldiers, and the Les Enfantes Terrible project. Problem is, this theme doesn't really come off very subtly, or well, IMO.

As for any particular implications of the line from King Kong, there are a few things that could be said, though it'd just be pure speculation.

Darkpen said:
its the last line in King Kong, which is a movie that Jack and Rose watched, and talked about in MGS2 (and then flashbacked in MGS4).

"beauty" and "beast" are running themes in MGS4, and I think its something that stems from the King Kong reference, and just sort of grows into its own thing, with the PTSD victims, child soldiers, and the Les Enfantes Terrible project. Problem is, this theme doesn't really come off very subtly, or well, IMO.

As for any particular implications of the line from King Kong, there are a few things that could be said, though it'd just be pure speculation.

Jack, which tower did King Kong climb up??!!!

anyone know if MGO has its own Singapore server separate from US server or not? and if it does have separate server, can I play in that server using region 1 MGS 4 disc? probably with different Konami ID using Singapore as its country.

kinda desperate wanting to play MGO in my country here (not Singapore, but it's probably the closest I can get to) and playing in US server is just dragging everybody else in my game to lag, so I politely leave before ruining other people's game.

Artofwar420

Few things are left to say about MGS4, it's been months since its release, the only thing I wish we'd always keep asking is TROPHIES and at least a freaking new INTEGRAL PODCAST, just to explain the lie that there were going to be new podcasts.

Trophies would add insane replay value. And the podcast, well, you can't just leave something like that open and not make more. At least a goodbye podcast with Kojima, and translator. :D

kuYuri

Artofwar420 said:
Few things are left to say about MGS4, it's been months since its release, the only thing I wish we'd always keep asking is TROPHIES and at least a freaking new INTEGRAL PODCAST, just to explain the lie that there were going to be new podcasts.

Trophies would add insane replay value. And the podcast, well, you can't just leave something like that open and not make more. At least a goodbye podcast with Kojima, and translator. :D

The only reason the podcast even existed was because of Ryan Payton. With his departure, it effectively eliminated any chances of seeing a new podcast.

Menaged

I've been listening to a few tracks of MGS4's Soundtrack on YouTube and... WOW.

These tracks are really great, especialy the godly Love Theme.
If it werent around 40$+ I'd buy it (probarly not, but... yeah)

Edit: Hmmm... 29$ at Play-Asia, plus shipping it's around 35$. Not so bad. I might consider it, although I rather spend my money on games.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Menaged said:
These tracks are really great, especialy the godly Love Theme.
Major ending spoilers:
I really didn't find it powerful until it was combined with that last scene in the oven... now it's the best song in MG Saga IMO

Artofwar420 said:

Sorry to say, but I think we're not getting any podcasts due to Payton jumping ship.

Menaged

Seiken said:
Major ending spoilers:
I really didn't find it powerful until it was combined with that last scene in the oven... now it's the best song in MG Saga IMO

For some reason, I don't recall it was in that scene. I remember it was a really powerful one, but didn't remember the the Love theme was there.

Oh well, I'm at the end of act 3 now. Will soon check it out again.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Menaged said:
For some reason, I don't recall it was in that scene. I remember it was a really powerful one, but didn't remember the the Love theme was there.

Oh well, I'm at the end of act 3 now. Will soon check it out again.
Oh it is sir, it is... I'm listening to it now, Jesus Christ my nerves are too weak.

Callibretto said:
anyone know if MGO has its own Singapore server separate from US server or not? and if it does have separate server, can I play in that server using region 1 MGS 4 disc? probably with different Konami ID using Singapore as its country.

kinda desperate wanting to play MGO in my country here (not Singapore, but it's probably the closest I can get to) and playing in US server is just dragging everybody else in my game to lag, so I politely leave before ruining other people's game.

anyone? help, please...

Miburou

Callibretto said:
anyone? help, please...

An X version of MGS4 will only allow to play with people who also have the same version of the game. It just happens that most people (like 99%) with the NA version live in North America, people with the EU version live in Europe, etc. If you actually had friends in your area all with the same version of the game, you could play with little lag regardless of what that version was, provided you hosted private games so no one else could enter.

I know there are NA, EU and JP versions of MGS4 (they even install separately on the HDD!). I don't know if Asian versions are part of JP versions or EU or NA.

Strider2K99 said:
The only reason the podcast even existed was because of Ryan Payton. With his departure, it effectively eliminated any chances of seeing a new podcast.

Yep

...pretty sad to see this effort completely waisted

and yes, for the love of god, add Trophy support!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
New? Old? Either way, its fucking EPIC. (And expensive)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130263869818

25h1qbt.jpg

21ne683.jpg

21ne683.jpg

28tu8aw.jpg

I had this game since launched. FINALLY got around to beating it. Really enjoyed it actually. Now it's time to start over and collect everything.

Yoshichan

RyuHayate said:
I think I'm almost done : (

Just got to the part where Snake's toughing it out through Liquid's microwave hallway.
;_;

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Finally found the PAL Collectors Edition, $149 bucks........ so now i own 3 copies of MGS 4 :D none of the other editions i got have the soundtrack so meh, anyways listening to it now, beautiful.

alr1ghtstart said:
5a.JPG

:lol at his face.

His shirt would be an exact reflection of the image he is looking at as well ;)

RyuHayate

Finished the game last night... man, what a thoroughly brilliant experience MGS4 was. I can say that this is the best game I've played in the last five years (a title previously held by Subsistence).

The final shot (and line) was very touching, too.

Now... it's time to dig into MGO. :D

Yoshichan

RyuHayate said:
Finished the game last night... man, what a thoroughly brilliant experience MGS4 was. I can say that this is the best game I've played in the last five years (a title previously held by Subsistence).

It's a good game, isn't it?

Darkpen

Banned
RyuHayate said:

grats.

I'm afraid you might find the online experience a little... sour, in comparison to its other playstation online shooter counterparts.

Also, in case you haven't checked, you can download the MGS database on PSN, which is essentially a library on all things metal gear. Personally, I think it just things more convoluted and stupid, so you might want to avoid it instead.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Darkpen said:
grats.

I'm afraid you might find the online experience a little... sour, in comparison to its other playstation online shooter counterparts.

Also, in case you haven't checked, you can download the MGS database on PSN, which is essentially a library on all things metal gear. Personally, I think it just things more convoluted and stupid, so you might want to avoid it instead.
you might also find mgo ballz out awesome. find "COOLIO"!

and when starting make sure to understand the game isnt as unfair as you might think with respect to any lag or delayed deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom