• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So should I bother waiting for trophy support? I haven't touched the game since I beat it months ago, and I'm itching for another playthrough, but I was waiting for trophies. Has there been any news?

Blablurn

VanMardigan said:
So should I bother waiting for trophy support? I haven't touched the game since I beat it months ago, and I'm itching for another playthrough, but I was waiting for trophies. Has there been any news?

nope, no news yet. and i don't believe that they are going to do it.

VanMardigan said:

Just play through it again. Then do another playthrough if/when trophies do show up. It's a win-win situation.

I was just playing through Act 4 the other day. I started a completely new game, with non of my items, on extreme. So much more tense without a near infinite arsenal of super weapons. I actually had to distract the Gekko in the warhead storage facility for the first time since my original playthrough. Good times. Of course now I'm stuck on Crying Wolf (I love this fight more everytime I play it) and holy shit, it's just so much harder, especially if you're lacking Drebin points (which I am).

News Bot

Banned
I'm selling a promo copy of MGS4 if anyone wants it.

S4021376.jpg

Zen

Banned
Any word on when the new expansion is coming out? I love MGO (I play it almost every week), but I hoping for some new content.

And Kojima Productions should really consider putting MGO up on PSN at a $9.99- 19.99 fee with some content unlocked (like the first expansion maybe?). I honestly might even be tempted to get it (already owning MGS4) to be able to launch it without booting up MGS4 etc...

Maybe that makes me crazy.

-Winnie-

Zen said:
Any word on when the new expansion is coming out? I love MGO (I play it almost every week), but I hoping for some new content.

And Kojima Productions should really consider putting MGO up on PSN at a $9.99- 19.99 fee with some content unlocked (like the first expansion maybe?). I honestly might even be tempted to get it (already owning MGS4) to be able to launch it without booting up MGS4 etc...

You mean the MGO expansion? It comes out on the 25th, I believe.

And I reckon KP should relaunch MGO altogether with full PSN support once/if MGS4 gets rereleased.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Zen said:

its coming on the 25th i believe. and thank god there's another gafer out there that loves it.

oh and youre so right about the stand alone version. i bought the japanese stand alone and booting up from the XMB feels orgasmic

icechai

lttp but it took ages to beat this game, mainly because I didn't have time to sit through the cinematics. I mean, gameplay was great (loved every gameplay moment) but WTF its like 20 min of gameplay for 40 min of cinematics on average. Also the gratuitous t&a shots for the women in the game just gets annoying. Storywise you just didn't care about the villains, this has been mentioned in reviews previously but I they just come off as developer eye candy, and I was just wanting to end all that exposition and shoot them already. If I had to rate this game it'd be a 6/10, the above mentioned annoyances being bad enough to knock off 3 points from an otherwise good game.

Blablurn

icechai said:
lttp but it took ages to beat this game, mainly because I didn't have time to sit through the cinematics. I mean, gameplay was great (loved every gameplay moment) but WTF its like 20 min of gameplay for 40 min of cinematics on average. Also the gratuitous t&a shots for the women in the game just gets annoying. Storywise you just didn't care about the villains, this has been mentioned in reviews previously but I they just come off as developer eye candy, and I was just wanting to end all that exposition and shoot them already. If I had to rate this game it'd be a 6/10, the above mentioned annoyances being bad enough to knock off 3 points from an otherwise good game.

thpsyduckneogaf2dl7.png

icechai said:

...did you not play any of the other ones before MGS4?

Loudninja

icechai said:

:lol

icechai

mountain_duwe said:
...did you not play any of the other ones before MGS4?

played 1 & 2, and they just didn't seem as blatant, it was more a thing you could chuckle at if you pursued it. This was in your way too in your face. 1 was such a breath of fresh air and the direction was great in terms of marrying movies with video games, this latest one I felt more like I was being force fed everything.

SMZC

He has a point about the villains, though. Liquid Ocelot has several stellar moments, the kind that you would expect from a really good villain typical from a mindless action movie. But when it comes to his actual character, he's nowhere near MGS2's Solidus or The Boss in MGS3. Crap, he isn't even near his MGS1 counterpart. He lacks any kind of character development, and his true motives (I mean Liquid's, not Ocelot's, which differ from each other) are hardly touched upon.

And don't get me started on Vamp. I always thought that Vamp in MGS4 would be some kind of wildcard; a villain that is on his own, trying to screw up both you and Liquid now that he has nothing to lose (since he lost all his loved ones in MGS2 and, well, can't die himself). But Kojima actually made him into a generic henchman with no motives whatsoever, following blindly the orders from the same guy who fucking shot Fortune in MGS2 (I know, technically it was Ocelot who shot her, not Liquid, but it's still stupid).

Picking up the double expansion pack for $15 on Tuesday, so if anyone wants to play add Automatisch to PSN. I haven't touched MGO in a while but I'm definitely feeling the need to play for some reason, and this new content is a good excuse to start up again.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
-COOLIO- said:
i dont really get it either but his that david hayter voice not fuck awesome?
It's INCREDIBLE! Damn.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
-COOLIO- said:
its coming on the 25th i believe. and thank god there's another gafer out there that loves it.

oh and youre so right about the stand alone version. i bought the japanese stand alone and booting up from the XMB feels orgasmic
The MEME expansion would be on the PSN store ?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Fersis said:
The MEME expansion would be on the PSN store ?
no, a big flaw in mgo is that everything is done through konamis wacky system.

which is stupid because its just losing them money

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
-COOLIO- said:
no, a big flaw in mgo is that everything is done through konamis wacky system.

which is stupid because its just losing them money
Bummer, according to Konami im not allowed to buy from my country @_@
Really smart move from them...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
PTCoakley said:
It would be nice to get some sort of feature to install to XMB, but oh well... The bootup is long, but not THAT long.
o god yes

there's so many simple fixes they could make >___<

Fersis

-COOLIO- said:
o god yes

Like all the glitches and the horrible horrible lag.

I bought the PS3 because MGS4 and MGO is my greatest dissapointment ;_;

-COOLIO- said:
o god yes

It would be cool to have 2 disc icons, one for MGO and one for MGS4. I don't think you can patch that in, but it'd be just as awesome. I'm surprised MGO is doing as well as it is despite Konami's bullshit.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Fersis said:
Like all the glitches and the horrible horrible lag.

I bought the PS3 because MGS4 and MGO is my greatest dissapointment ;_;
same here but im still incredibly happy with my decision, but i can still understand the backlash

Dave1988

Fersis said:
Bummer, according to Konami im not allowed to buy from my country @_@
Really smart move from them...

Don't worry. You're not missing anything. Unless, of course, you love to engage in such awesome conversations as "N00B!" "LAG!" "LAGGER!", "GIT GUD", and many other fine insults.

MGO is a shitfest and the European community just makes it worse.

Ironically enough, I've spent over 200 hours playing MGO.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Dave1988 said:
Don't worry. You're not missing anything. Unless, of course, you love to engage in such awesome conversations as "N00B!" "LAG!" "LAGGER!", "GIT GUD", and many other fine insults.

MGO is a shitfest and the European community just makes it worse.

Ironically enough, I've spent over 200 hours playing MGO.

mgo pros and cons:

pros:

really great gameplay at the core
hard but satisying to get better at
a very competitive feel to it - shootouts between 2 players can get very intsense
a toooooooon of customizable clothing options - more than any shooter ever
skill testing
very good graphically on an hdtv
survival mode
reward points system
no forced matchmaking
a ton of items to use
the mgo word championship which will likely return in 09
great intense music

cons:

lag
konami system
looooong bootup
glitchers in survival
learning curve
the game will seem unfair with people getting "instant headshots" and delayed lag deaths

Fersis

yeah, but you have to get Gene or Meme to get reward points to buy stuff, pants cost like 10.000 Reward Points.
And dont make me talk about the community !
Im always a noob or i have to 'git gud' ! What the hell is that !
Oh and once i killed some guy with a shotgun ,and i was kicked because:
'Shoty is 4 noob, git gud' :mad:

Dave1988

-COOLIO- said:
mgo pros and cons:

pros:

really great gameplay at the core
hard but satisying to get better at
a very competitive feel to it - shootouts between 2 players can get very intsense
a toooooooon of customizable clothing options - more than any shooter ever
skill testing
very good graphically on an hdtv
survival mode
reward points system
no forced matchmaking
a ton of items to use
the mgo word championship which will likely return in 09
great intense music

cons:

lag
konami system
looooong bootup
glitchers in survival
learning curve
the game will seem unfair with people getting "instant headshots" and delayed lag deaths

And yet you forgot to include MGO's biggest flaw:

- incredibly shitty community filled with retards and prepubescent teens.

Music is subjective. I only like two or three tracks in it. Survival mode is crap because of the glitchers and horrible servers (some members of WaspUnit know all to well how MGO can kick you out of MGO at ANY given mement). And the nightmare known as the MGO Shop cannot be stressed enough - very limited credit card acceptance, 40 countries banned from it which makes MGO a goddamn beta. The GENE Expansion isn't all that great - nobody uses the new characters (you'd be hard pressed to find a game with Akiba/ Meryl activated. I'm pretty sure Ocelot / Mei Ling will receive the same treatment). Some new maps are a fucking joke (TT - CAN'T SEE SHIT, CAPTAIN!). Honestly, I could go on and on.

Fersis

Dave1988 said:
And yet you forgot to include MGO's biggest flaw:

- incredibly shitty community filled with retards and prepubescent teens.
heheh, i post about that too.
"I have to git good becuz im a shotty laggy noob."

oatmeal

Banned
Anyone got any tips for Act 5...

I got this game at launch, played through the first four acts quickly, and then couldn't get past the first part of 5...

Then I just put it away, and haven't touched it since.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Schwowsers said:
Does anyone have any idea why that live action TV channel part at the start was in the game at all? What point did it serve?
show you how crazy the world had become

btw everyone, buy meme, its out and it rocks

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
oatmeal said:
Anyone got any tips for Act 5...

I got this game at launch, played through the first four acts quickly, and then couldn't get past the first part of 5...

Then I just put it away, and haven't touched it since.
take the start slow then focus on moving via the high ground. if your playing on normal then just run and gun >: D

Fersis

-COOLIO- said:
show you how crazy the world had become

btw everyone, buy meme, its out and it rocks

Tell more about this please.
I dont have the chance to buy MEME, but i know that it is a huge update.
Do you know what changed?

Fersis said:
Any chance you could use a proxy and buy it on your PC? It's all tied to your account, so once you actually buy the stuff it shouldn't matter what country the shop thinks your in. Just a thought.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Fersis said:
i dont have it yet but appearantly a lot

CQC 3 is a lot more useful, you can disarm more easily, disarm from couching, instant rifle stun people.

new mode called stealth DM not even sure how it works though

new maps: F.F. W.W. and S.S. with ocelot and mei ling

new music tracks: some zoe tracks, the boss music, some acid music

a new skill to do with scanning but you need 250 scans to unlock it. right now all anyone sees is ??? for it

and tournament mode which is ?????? right now

you can also change your clothes and skills between matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom