• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
i think the gaf clans all bit the dirt :(

but if you wanna play with a gaf dude my MGO is COOLIO

I'm always up for some MGO, my MGO is Tix and Richot.

A new change that I really like is the fact that you earn 10 reward points per round now,; it's not restricted to survival anymore.

Honestly I haven't encountered bad habitual lag that everyone talks about, I guess I'm just lucky.

Just posting to reiterate how amazing of a job BruceLeeRoy did with this thread, I cannot wait for the Killzone 2 one. On my 7th play through of MGS4 :D

Jaroof

CrushDance said:
Just posting to reiterate how amazing of a job BruceLeeRoy did with this thread, I cannot wait for the Killzone 2 one. On my 7th play through of MGS4 :D

I agree.
Wow, good job BruceLeeRoy

Zen

Banned
Is it just me or does the game look a lot better with 120? The screen quality is a lot sharper and the textures look improved and touched out (Check out the outside walls at the upper spawn points in BB).

The same thing happened when they updated with the first expansion, so I'll have to check out what other things they've touched up.

web01

Lag is not an issue on MGO seriously as long as you play with local people like any other online shooter the game its perfect. Us Aussies password protect our games with a question we only know the answer to to keep the europeans out and we all have full 3 green bars and perfect gameplay.

I dont know how it is on the US servers but I can imagine if you have people from both thr east and west coast connecting it would be pretty damn laggy.

Dave1988 said:
Honestly? Be fucking grateful for it. You do not, I repeat, YOU DO NOT WANT TO MEET THE EURO COMMUNITY. Those fucktards are part of the reason why I came to hate MGO. It's a bummer that we can't play with Japanese players, though. From what I heard they are very nice and polite people who know what "teamwork" means (even completely random player try to act as a team. In Europe it's more like "I'm the goddamn Rambo! Tremble before me and my gigantic e-penis! Scrubby n00b LAGGERS NERDRAAAAAAGEEEE!").

Good thing I'm in Europe then.. oh, wait... :p

Zen

Banned
Philanthropist said:

Sorry, the 1.20 Update.

The IQ is much sharper now, and texture detail on screen has defnetly improved. THere are some alterations to texture surfaces in maps like BB (haven't had a chance to really look yet but there are some obvious ones)

Just like how they added some more reflective maps a while ago to UU when MGO got its first big update. They do more than add content, they also polish up existing levels.

It would be fun if they actually documented the changes, because I think they go unoticed by a lot of people.

1080P 46 inch Samsung

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Zen said:
Sorry, the 1.20 Update.

The IQ is much sharper now, and texture detail on screen has defnetly improved. THere are some alterations to texture surfaces in maps like BB (haven't had a chance to really look yet but there are some obvious ones)

Just like how they added some more reflective maps a while ago to UU when MGO got its first big update. They do more than add content, they also polish up existing levels.

It would be fun if they actually documented the changes, because I think they go unoticed by a lot of people.

1080P 46 inch Samsung

So they change textures and stuff?
Nice touch by Konami.

Zen

Banned
It is, although UU is very... blue/green now. I don't think I like it as much.

(in fact Almost all the textures in UU look redone, that's sort of surprising)

Like I said, they should actually be bringing these facts to light, because I don't think a lot of people realize that they polish existing levels all the time in MGO. They don't alter the maps themselves (that I've ever seen) but doing things like redoing the textures etc isn't a walk in the park.

Darkpen

Banned
331zy8o.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving, GAF :p

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Got my Big Boss emblem today :D i thought i would get the little wolf emblem (all 69 weapons) at the same time but it appears i have to play it once more? can anyone confirm this?

once i have the little wolf emblem i shall have them all! :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Every time this thread gets bumped I stupidly hope it's because of some news concerning MGO going "truly PSN" or trophies.

Am I the only one?

Did 1.20 fix the slowdowns?

brokenFUN

McBacon said:
This just reminded me that the degredation of Snake over the course of the game is twenty zillion times better than the copy-cat stunt that Nathan Hale pulls in R2.

I'll agree with that. But in MGS4, you can see Snake. In R2 you are Hale in first person. How, or what should have been done to express Hale's degredation in first person?

-COOLIO- said:
sweet, is your gaf name the same as your mgo?

My MGO tag is Igneous 0ctopus (that's a zero in octopus).

EDIT: aside from all the complaining I do, I do think it's a great MP game. I'm actually looking forward to playing again.

-Winnie-

brokenFUN said:
I'll agree with that. But in MGS4, you can see Snake. In R2 you are Hale in first person. How, or what should have been done to express Hale's degredation in first person?

Well they probably could have given him more Chimeran powers as he gradually changed. Maybe like faster regeneration, more health, yellow tint to eyesight, hybrid vision. I dunno, that kind of stuff.

New song up in the extras (forgot name).

Played a bunch of MGO today and was suprised by the smoothness. Well... there was this one instance I hit some dude with a grenade and I was shooting at his burning body on the ground when he DISAPPEARED and reappeared away from the blast in perfect position to kill me. I was like WTF!!! Too bad I always take time to complain in game via text because the same guy got me when I respawned typing lol.

Dave1988

MoonsaultSlayer said:
New song up in the extras (forgot name).

Played a bunch of MGO today and was suprised by the smoothness. Well... there was this one instance I hit some dude with a grenade and I was shooting at his burning body on the ground when he DISAPPEARED and reappeared away from the blast in perfect position to kill me. I was like WTF!!! Too bad I always take time to complain in game via text because the same guy got me when I respawned typing lol.

That's a grenade warp. Very common.

I never realized this until now- but the MGS action theme completely and directly rips-off the theme music from the film Speed. It just happened to be on TV and it immediately caught my attention. So that would be two musical themes that the original MGS composer ripped from somewhere else.

Philanthropist said:
Proof or we won't trust your music listening skills. And there isn't just one composer who worked on MGS soundtracks.
I'm talking about MGS, not 2 or 3. And I'm watching the scene where Reeves is first jumping onto the bus from the sports car. If you can get to that scene I promise you it is note for note, even with the ambient techno accompaniment. Why should I provide you with proof? Who the hell are you?

Imm0rt4l

evilromero said:
I never realized this until now- but the MGS action theme completely and directly rips-off the theme music from the film Speed. It just happened to be on TV and it immediately caught my attention. So that would be two musical themes that the original MGS composer ripped from somewhere else.
a little LTTP in noticing the similarities. But they are different enough, MGS theme is better.

Yeah not note for note. Thanks for posting the MGS theme. But I can't shake the feeling that it was pulled from Speed. Just the driving synth along with the almost similar alert theme. It's just too close in feeling and approach- not necessarily notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUwcz8lyu6s&feature=related
This is a little closer I suppose. Did someone already notice the Speed similarities? I never would have watched that movie again had it not been on when I came into the room. Also, notice the similar structure- stabbing notes segue into strong melody. It could be incidental, then again not.

Datrio

Pojo said:
Should've had the scene where Liquid was firing machine guns with his fingers.

Where is that gif?
Looks like you didn't catch the easter egg :D

Hint:
When Liquid jumps unto Arsenal Gear after Shadow Moses, there's an egg on the right side of the screen, when he shouts "Road kill". Click it.

SamuraiX-

evilromero said:
Yeah not note for note. Thanks for posting the MGS theme. But I can't shake the feeling that it was pulled from Speed. Just the driving synth along with the almost similar alert theme. It's just too close in feeling and approach- not necessarily notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUwcz8lyu6s&feature=related
This is a little closer I suppose. Did someone already notice the Speed similarities? I never would have watched that movie again had it not been on when I came into the room. Also, notice the similar structure- stabbing notes segue into strong melody. It could be incidental, then again not.

You can still only hear a vague similarity. Maybe about 10 seconds from the Speed main theme has a similar beat/rhythm to the Alert Theme form MGS.

And if you want to get technical... The Speed main theme has a techno rhythm of 7 beats pulsing one right after the other. The MGS Alert theme has 6 beats at one part, with 5 coming one after the other, a small pause, and then the 6th. Then there's a part where 12 beats are strung together with a small pause in between the first six and the next six.

Seriously, who cares? Konami is going to be sued for copyright infringement on a theme song from '95 that sounds somewhat, vaguely similar to one of their soundtracks from MGS1 '98.

evilromero said:
Did someone already notice the Speed similarities?
I wouldn't say I 'already' noticed them but I know I remember thinking the same thing. I know that a creappy Resident Evil 4 tune sounds like another MGS song too. Not saying anyone copied anyone, but just noticed the similarities.

AmMortal

Banned
I went through the OP again, FUCKIN' HELL. The amount of nostaligia it gave, is so ridiculous that I've decided to reply mgs4 all over again..
GAF has outdone itself on this thread.

Epic OP for an Epic game.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Zen said:
What do you guys think of the new maps?
ive heard theyre really awesome, a big change over the gene maps which most people seem to dislike except for the remake of b town.

i love T.T. though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom