• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really liking it so far. I spent about two hours fighting with the militia and I had a blast (no pun intended). MGO is alright, but a pain for someone who is only at level 1.

Zen

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'm right there with both of you. I try and try to enjoy MGO but I just can't. The gameplay is broken, and the entire setup of logging in/server regimens etc etc are just backwards. It's too bad because it could be a very sweet game but it suffers from poorly thought-up and improperly executed design. I've stopped playing it because I simply go mad when I try to.
The online registering is backwards, but the game isn't by any means broken. If you're having trouble with lag just choose a game that is marked green. Mechanics wise the game is great. It can be frustrating at times, but you should really make sure to use the great match making feature to get an experience with people who are at your level of play. No game is fun when you're being dominated by much more skilled players.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MGS4 is the best Metal Gear.

I enjoyed the MGS 3 single player / story much more than MGS4, however the gameplay and mood of the first two acts of MGS 4 is amazing.

MGO is great though. I haven't had some of the unfair sounding problems some people here have had though, and the whole Konami ID / sign-up stuff was an abhorrent chore.

SpokkX

Just felt I hade say something to those who say that this is the best MGS. It is not, not even close actually.

I really enjoyed MGS4... but it has ben 6 months since MGS4 released and now when I think back it is obviously flawed. More so than any other MGS-game.

- Technically it had many problems. In-game installs, load-times, framerateproblems and low res textures. It still looks good but there are way better looking games today

- Gameplaywise it was too little gameplay and too many cutscenes, like MGS2. It does control better than all other MGS though.

- The worst offender is the onlinemode. It is absolutely awful. Never mind that the game is glitchy and laggy, the lobby/signup system is the worst I have ever seen.

MGS3 >>>>>>>>> the rest

hirokazu

SpokkX said:
Just felt I hade say something to those who say that this is the best MGS. It is not, not even close actually.

I really enjoyed MGS4... but it has ben 6 months since MGS4 released and now when I think back it is obviously flawed. More so than any other MGS-game.

- Technically it had many problems. In-game installs, load-times, framerateproblems and low res textures. It still looks good but there are way better looking games today

- Gameplaywise it was too little gameplay and too many cutscenes, like MGS2. It does control better than all other MGS though.

- The worst offender is the onlinemode. It is absolutely awful. Never mind that the game is glitchy and laggy, the lobby/signup system is the worst I have ever seen.

MGS3 >>>>>>>>> the rest
Good for you, and good of you for sharing it with us. :p

Oni Jazar

SpokkX said:

MGS3 >>>>>>>>> the rest

You must've not played MGO on MGS3 then. Though to be fair, that one didn't have the godawful login system

antiloop said:
Obviously.

MGS1-3 are just unplayable now. I will just remember them for their parts of the story.

edit: Time for those re-makes. ;)

MGS3 Subsistence with the new camera is great to play. Great stealth game, although it doesn't have the kind of shooting MGS4 has.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
SpokkX said:
Here's why you guys are wrong. Why? Because I fucking said so and I'm the Opinion Overlord bitches.
Sorry for disagreeing with you oh great overlord. Never will my opinion differ from yours again.

Kydd BlaZe

Seiken said:
MGS4 is the best Metal Gear.
I competely disagree.

MGS1 is the best, IMO. MGS4 just didn't grip me as much as the original. In fact, I found MGS4 to be the least engaging out of the series.

All of the Metal Gears are equally awesome in my book. Try as I might I can't really separate them into a ranking, each brings something special.

yurinka

Tarin02543 said:
I wouldn't think so, blu ray movies are all region protected as in your japanese copy is region 1 and your machine is region 2.
As I remember both Europe (PAL?) and Japan are region 2.

SMZC

antiloop said:
Obviously.

MGS1-3 are just unplayable now. I will just remember them for their parts of the story.

edit: Time for those re-makes. ;)

MGS1 and 2, for their times, had much better gameplay than MGS4. Also, let's face it: After the first two acts, MGS4's gameplay is worth nothing.

Regardless, I'd put MGS1, 2 and 3 above MGS4 for the storyline alone. Every game of the trilogy had appealing characters, memorable cut-scenes, an intriguing storyline and plot twists that, for the most part, were both shocking and coherent. MGS4 IMO isn't anywhere near as good as its predecessors in those regards, and having an excellent gameplay during the first two acts can't make up for that.

SMZC said:
MGS1 and 2, for their times, had much better gameplay than MGS4. Also, let's face it: After the first two acts, MGS4's gameplay is worth nothing.

Regardless, I'd put MGS1, 2 and 3 above MGS4 for the storyline alone. Every game of the trilogy had appealing characters, memorable cut-scenes, an intriguing storyline and plot twists that, for the most part, were both shocking and coherent. MGS4 IMO isn't anywhere near as good as its predecessors in those regards, and having an excellent gameplay during the first two acts can't make up for that.

Let's not. MGS4's gameplay all the way through(minus most of act 3)is better and more advanced for its time than the past three games, except maybe MGS3 because it did way more new things. But MGS 1 and 2 were way substandard in certain details, like the way automatic weapons have zero recoil. It wasn't as bad in MGS because there was no FP shooting, but it was terrible in MGS2. MGS4 is the first MGS that feels really modern and ahead of the curve in controls and the small details an action game should have, without being overbearing like MGS3's healing system.

I agree about the story though, it was weakened by the need of all the whiny bitches who needed to have answers about every little thing that happened in MGS2. It was all too apparent that Kojima just shoehorned every character and plot detail into MGS4 even when it was obviously just tacked on. If only he had listened to himself instead of all the so-called fans...

Dibbz

MGS4 is the best MGS to play.
MGS3 has the best story.

MGO is laggy at times but there are filters to only show decent connections which people should use if they're having trouble. I just got off now and it's an amazing online game. It would rival Socom if there were dedicated servers running.

SMZC

akachan ningen said:
Let's not. MGS4's gameplay all the way through(minus most of act 3)is better and more advanced for its time than the past three games, except maybe MGS3 because it did way more new things. But MGS 1 and 2 were way substandard in certain details, like the way automatic weapons have zero recoil. It wasn't as bad in MGS because there was no FP shooting, but it was terrible in MGS2. MGS4 is the first MGS that feels really modern and ahead of the curve in controls and the small details an action game should have, without being overbearing like MGS3's healing system.

MGS1 and MGS2 defined the stealth genre in 3D (MGS1 practically invented it, and MGS2 created the foundation that later games such as the Splinter Cell series would be built upon). How can MGS4 compete with that? It introduced good shooting controls to the series, but that's nothing new or special if we look outside the Metal Gear series.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Personally, I think MGS3 nailed everything except the "evasion" part. It takes far too long for that counter to wind down.

SMZC

industrian said:
Personally, I think MGS3 nailed everything except the "evasion" part. It takes far too long for that counter to wind down.

I think MGS2 still has the best alarm system. Get caught by a guard, and unlike MGS1/3/4 the rest of the guards of the area aren't alerted immediately; instead, he has to call for backup in the radio, giving you enough time to neutralize him.

MGS3 and 4's guards use the radio, but it doesn't really matter, because once you're spotted by a single guard the rest of them go into alert status automatically.

Also, who doesn't love to shoot a guard's radio in MGS2 and mess with him knowing that he can't call for backup?

industrian

SMZC said:
I think MGS2 still has the best alarm system. Get caught by a guard, and unlike MGS1/3/4 the rest of the guards of the area aren't alerted immediately; instead, he has to call for backup in the radio, giving you enough time to neutralize him.

MGS3 and 4's guards use the radio, but it doesn't really matter, because once you're spotted by a single guard the rest of them go into alert status automatically.

Also, who doesn't love to shoot a guard's radio in MGS2 and mess with him knowing that he can't call for backup?

In MGS4 it kinda made sense for all the guards to go nuts once you were spotted though, with SOP and all. In MGS3, I never saw them react as a group. I got spotted by one guy, took him down, and the counter just ran itself down from alert/evasion/caution back to nothing in less than a second.

MGS2 is awesome though. In MGS all the guards just ran towards you until you hid or died - the inclusion of the special assault teams with shields and shotguns in MGS2 was one of the best improvements between the games.

Bit-Bit

Those who don't like the gameplay in act 3. Why? Is it the beginning? Because that was just a small part of it. Don't you guys remember the most bad ass chase scene ever put into a game? The slow mo sequences made everyone in my room go "HOLY SHIT!!!". The boss fight was one of the best in the game too I thought. Top that off with one of the greatest cut scene I have ever seen anywhere on any game.

Act 3 was really amazing I think. The beginning was also a nice break from the first two acts of adrenaline pumping gameplay. However, that break didn't last very long. I really love the pacing of the game.

NG28

How long is MGS3 compared to MGG4? I've never played a metal gear game before, but my roommate has Snake Eater so I think I'm gonna hit it up after my last final today.

KaosAngel

Banned
smik said:

OMG, You seriously might be on the ball. I still think it has to do with the 6 month MGS4 thing. Maybe the MGS4:Sub game for PS3 and 360? Or the full game plus Sub for 360 and Sub as DLC for PS3?

NG28 said:
How long is MGS3 compared to MGG4? I've never played a metal gear game before, but my roommate has Snake Eater so I think I'm gonna hit it up after my last final today.

MGS3 is prob shorter just bcuz there are fewer cutscenes but not significantly shorter

industrian

Bit-Bit said:
Those who don't like the gameplay in act 3. Why? Is it the beginning?

IMO, it could have been a lot better. They should have done away with the "curfew" concept and had the city full of living, breathing people that Snake would have to ignore in his pursuit of the guy. Not to mention that having citywide checkpoints would have made Snake have to find creative ways around.

NG28 said:

First time completing MGS3: over 21 hours. First time completing MGS4: 19:57:59.

Snake Eater's camera may frustrate you. The Subsistence 3D camera makes the game ten times better imo.

KaosAngel said:
OMG, You seriously might be on the ball. I still think it has to do with the 6 month MGS4 thing. Maybe the MGS4:Sub game for PS3 and 360? Or the full game plus Sub for 360 and Sub as DLC for PS3?

That "teaser" had it's own thread and was already discussed, junior. The people in this thread would prefer that you didn't shit it up by discussing it here.

SMZC

Bit-Bit said:
Those who don't like the gameplay in act 3. Why? Is it the beginning? Because that was just a small part of it. Don't you guys remember the most bad ass chase scene ever put into a game? The slow mo sequences made everyone in my room go "HOLY SHIT!!!". The boss fight was one of the best in the game too I thought. Top that off with one of the greatest cut scene I have ever seen anywhere on any game.

Act 3 was really amazing I think. The beginning was also a nice break from the first two acts of adrenaline pumping gameplay. However, that break didn't last very long. I really love the pacing of the game.

The chase scene is awesome, but the part of following the resistance member is much longer than the chase, and the AI makes it so bad.

Also, the church cut-scene and its plot twists is what ruined the storyline of the whole series to me :[

NG28

industrian said:
First time completing MGS3: over 21 hours. First time completing MGS4: 19:57:59.

Snake Eater's camera may frustrate you. The Subsistence 3D camera makes the game ten times better imo.

That is longer than I expected. I tend to take my time with games too. I'm not too picky when it comes to the camera (i am fine with ninja gaiden's camera).

Also, I just realized he has mgs2. I am more inclined to play 3 over 2. Do the stories of these games run together a lot, or will I understand 3 without 2?

Imm0rt4l

Kydd BlaZe said:
I competely disagree.

MGS1 is the best, IMO. MGS4 just didn't grip me as much as the original. In fact, I found MGS4 to be the least engaging out of the series.

definitely had the weakest story and characters.

SMZC said:
MGS1 and MGS2 defined the stealth genre in 3D (MGS1 practically invented it, and MGS2 created the foundation that later games such as the Splinter Cell series would be built upon).

The game in my avatar deserves 50% of the credit you're attributing to MGS. If not more.

I really hope they make an MGS5, cutting out half the cutscene time to fix the broken pacing, and building on the dynamic gameplay from the first two Acts in MGS4. I did love Act 4 for its unique atmosphere and pathos, and Act 3 was a nice diversion and very beautiful, but I can not BELIEVE how insubstantial Act 5 was. I thought it was going to be incredible, the return of the awesome gameplay of the first two acts. The last area seemed like it would have been a huge, fascinating place to explore, lots of potential for some new gameplay elements. But it was so disappointing.

MGS4's schizophrenic mix of the brilliant and the hackneyed is just sooooo frustrating. Still my favorite game of the year though.

industrian

NG28 said:
That is longer than I expected. I tend to take my time with games too. I'm not too picky when it comes to the camera (i am fine with ninja gaiden's camera).

Also, I just realized he has mgs2. I am more inclined to play 3 over 2. Do the stories of these games run together a lot, or will I understand 3 without 2?

MGS3 takes place over 40 years before MGS2, if that answers your question.

I'd recommend playing them in order. MGS2-MGS3, as MGS2 will take no more than 12 hours on it's first playthrough.

Imm0rt4l said:
definitely had the weakest story and characters.

One of the reasons, IMO, that MGS4 has the weakest story out of the MGS games is that it doesn't have a story of it's own to tell. It's too busy trying to answer questions Kojima didn't even ask in MGS1 & 2 to focus on anything else.

Bit-Bit

industrian said:
IMO, it could have been a lot better. They should have done away with the "curfew" concept and had the city full of living, breathing people that Snake would have to ignore in his pursuit of the guy. Not to mention that having citywide checkpoints would have made Snake have to find creative ways around.

That description gives me an Assassin's Creed vibe and I love those parts of that game.

industrian

Bit-Bit said:
That description gives me an Assassin's Creed vibe and I love those parts of that game.

I was thinking about AC when I was playing Act 3. And ironically during playing AC I was thinking about how Kojima could learn from having stealth in open places (even if some of the stealth aspects of AC were broken.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom