• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Coolio. I tried sending you a MGO e-mail but your inbox is full. Just wanted to say I've added you on my FL and look forward to getting in some games with you.

Just replayed the opening and I have to say... I feel bad for Johnny shooter fan who picked this up and played only to watch cutscenes after every 3 steps lol. And even though I'm part of the camp who loves the game, I do wish I was in control for some of those scenes. Imagine running from the Gekko up those stairs when they crash down and it grabs you... that would have been ace.

I gotta see how someone figured out how to turn this into a competitive game.

EDIT: actually, that gametype didn't look so bad, maybe I should go play a couple games again. OH no, what are people doing equipping/unequipping boxes? That doesn't look like fun at all.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Hey, Coolio. I tried sending you a MGO e-mail but your inbox is full. Just wanted to say I've added you on my FL and look forward to getting in some games with you.

Just replayed the opening and I have to say... I feel bad for Johnny shooter fan who picked this up and played only to watch cutscenes after every 3 steps lol. And even though I'm part of the camp who loves the game, I do wish I was in control for some of those scenes. Imagine running from the Gekko up those stairs when they crash down and it grabs you... that would have been ace.
cool, i just finished playing a ton but you'll definitely see me around.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Class_A_Ninja said:
I gotta see how someone figured out how to turn this into a competitive game.

EDIT: actually, that gametype didn't look so bad, maybe I should go play a couple games again.

which?

there's 3 different game types in those vids :eek:

-COOLIO- said:
cool, i just finished playing a ton but you'll definitely see me around.

Yeah I saw you were playing some Survival but I'm not about to invest time in that since I can't even get a headshot to the back of someone's head to register lol. That can be quite frustrating but it's the game's style that keeps me coming back.

And the visuals are fantastic compared to most MP games. Where everything else comes off as cartoony and fake, MGO has a real grittiness and depth. Playing in that underground sewer map I was like (O.O). It looked really good. And the character models fit as opposed to looking like poly starved models with bright greens and reds. I think I've watched too much Videogame World Series on tv (Quake, Halo, etc..... *puke* @ graphics/art lol).

Tabris

I just beat the game for the first time. I don't know why I didn't play it before. I played up to South America when it first came out but I believe my life was crazy for a week and I forgot about it. Then I read negative opinions on GAF (luckily I read no spoilers) and that lessened my drive to play. Well I put it in today and after an hour, I cancelled all my plans for tonight and played the entire game.

The ending... Well first, I cried straight up. When Otacon was talking to Sunny at the end. I actually couldn't stop crying until the voice credits finished. Anyways, yes, the game was cheezy or cliched in a lot of spots and most of the scenarios were completly unrealistic, but god damn it, that was the best video game experience I've had this generation. I went from intrigued to excited to completly amped to being so behind something/someone (the microwaves scene) to shock to somber to most sadness I've felt in a while and finally to satisification.

Game of the Generation right here for right now. I can't believe I was this late.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Tabris said:
I just beat the game for the first time. I don't know why I didn't play it before. I played up to South America when it first came out but I believe my life was crazy for a week and I forgot about it. Then I read negative opinions on GAF (luckily I read no spoilers) and that lessened my drive to play. Well I put it in today and after an hour, I cancelled all my plans for tonight and played the entire game.

The ending... Well first, I cried straight up. When Otacon was talking to Sunny at the end. I actually couldn't stop crying until the voice credits finished. Anyways, yes, the game was cheezy or cliched in a lot of spots and most of the scenarios were completly unrealistic, but god damn it, that was the best video game experience I've had this generation. I went from intrigued to excited to completly amped to being so behind something/someone (the microwaves scene) to shock to somber to most sadness I've felt in a while and finally to satisification.

Game of the Generation right here for right now. I can't believe I was this late.
we are now brothers

commissar

Has there been ANY news on a new version a la Substance/Subsistence?

I sold my copy of the game while it was still worth something, and now I want to play it again :/

Tisan said:
Has there been ANY news on a new version a la Substance/Subsistence?

I sold my copy of the game while it was still worth something, and now I want to play it again :/

i hope if they did that it be an add on pack

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I would love to play this game : ( Unfortunately I don't have a PS3 (or even a decent TV), and likely won't for a long while. Meh...oh well.

I had this initial plan, after beating MGS4 16 times, to start a new file of only 8 complete playthroughs with all the emblems attained (because that's the least amount of playthroughs needed to get all the emblems collected), but I've since given up on that prospect because I don't want to lose my mind to this game.

The free download updates persist, but now on a bi-weekly schedule with just more tunes to put on your in-game iPod now (methinks they ran out of Octocamo patterns). I wonder what they'll do for December 25th.

A quick memory, I remember being at the NY Launch event at the Virgin Megastore handing out bottles of water to people and stuff and lamenting that I couldn't post in this thread or the other MGS4 threads at the time. Well there's that done.

y2dvd

How the hell do you purchase a new character slot in MGO? My bro already used up the free char with his account and now I want my own.

This whole konami id is bs and I'm ready to quit before even starting.

Edit*
Nevermind I found out. $7 for another char slot? Blah, don't think I'll bother.

glaurung

A very quick question, but is the Japanese limited edition's BD-ROM "making of" video disc region free or not?

That is, can I play it on my PAL PS3?

Tarin02543

glaurung said:
A very quick question, but is the Japanese limited edition's BD-ROM "making of" video disc region free or not?

I wouldn't think so, blu ray movies are all region protected as in your japanese copy is region 1 and your machine is region 2.

This game is still the most technically impressive and enjoyable single player game I've ever seen and played.

Its still up there as my game of the year fighting it out with LittleBigPlanet.

On a technical level MGS4 deserves to win but the community aspects and level creation tools in LittleBigPlanet deserve special consideration...

Blablurn

glaurung said:

I bought the limited edition as well and the blu ray works on my PAL PS3.

Are the enemies deaf on normal? At the start of Act 2 I can sit on that little mound or whatever where you start and fire a snipe rifle with no silencer and they don't respond to the sound of it at all.

Forget anything positive that I may have said about MGO on the last few pages. It is truly the worst piece of shit I've ever played. This comes after a few days of play watching myself get killed through walls, while the enemy is reloading, when they aren't facing me, after they've morphed away. This comes after watching someone survive a POINT BLANK shot where I held down the trigger for nearly 2 seconds but I die. He had time to raise his weapon and kill me? Fuck that. This game is the only game to get my blood boiling tothe point my fiancee starts yelling at me for yelling. I need to stop playing. Fuck this game. /rant

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Forget anything positive that I may have said about MGO on the last few pages. It is truly the worst piece of shit I've ever played. This comes after a few days of play watching myself get killed through walls, while the enemy is reloading, when they aren't facing me, after they've morphed away. This comes after watching someone survive a POINT BLANK shot where I held down the trigger for nearly 2 seconds but I die. He had time to raise his weapon and kill me? Fuck that. This game is the only game to get my blood boiling tothe point my fiancee starts yelling at me for yelling. I need to stop playing. Fuck this game. /rant

ahahaha, I played a little this weekend and my wife knew right away what game I was playing due to my fury.

Byakuya769 said:
ahahaha, I played a little this weekend and my wife knew right away what game I was playing do to my fury.

I'm right there with both of you. I try and try to enjoy MGO but I just can't. The gameplay is broken, and the entire setup of logging in/server regimens etc etc are just backwards. It's too bad because it could be a very sweet game but it suffers from poorly thought-up and improperly executed design. I've stopped playing it because I simply go mad when I try to.

Typing out my caveman post really helped get out my frustrations. Knowing there are others like me also helps haha.

I need to reiterate something. I popped out; surprised the bastard; shot him in the face.... a lot; he takes steps forward; shoots me; I die. I laughed and quit right there. That after many similar incidents. Yesterday, I did the same pop out, surprise attack but "won" that battle but still took shots. Sounds normal until I mention he never even readied his weapon. WOW.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Typing out my caveman post really helped get out my frustrations. Knowing there are others like me also helps haha.

I need to reiterate something. I popped out; surprised the bastard; shot him in the face.... a lot; he takes steps forward; shoots me; I die. I laughed and quit right there. That after many similar incidents. Yesterday, I did the same pop out, surprise attack but "won" that battle but still took shots. Sounds normal until I mention he never even readied his weapon. WOW.

LOL. That's my typical reaction to that god damn game. It just baffles me, game is based purely on luck IMO. You can unload a full clip into someone and they live...

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
LOL. That's my typical reaction to that god damn game. It just baffles me, game is based purely on luck IMO. You can unload a full clip into someone and they live...

LOL. So you must also know how annoying it is having to wait to respawn just to quit. And when Mr. Lucky Shot is spawn camping, he usually gets your ass again when you're standing there haha. Happens to me a lot. Then again.... I'm the fool who has to type out "Yeah right, I'm out" so I'm standing there like an ass haha.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
there's invincibility frames

its not that some bullets dont register because of lag or whatever, its just that they arnt suppose to register.

Miburou

The game can be laggy and glitchy at times, but it is not based on luck. If it were, then my bro wouldn't have 2.5x as many kills as deaths. My kills to deaths are about 1:1 (yeah, I suck), and when the connection is good the game goes according to how it should, with no frustration or feeling of unfairness...

Miburou said:
The game can be laggy and glitchy at times, but it is not based on luck. If it were, then my bro wouldn't have 2.5x as many kills as deaths. My kills to deaths are about 1:1 (yeah, I suck), and when the connection is good the game goes according to how it should, with no frustration or feeling of unfairness...

Well, I can say that the problems I suffer I'm also guilty of. I've gotten kills when I was in a reloading animation. I've continued shooting people long after they've turned a corner and got them through the wall apparently. Those times are laughable too. It's just more frustrating when it happens to me :D.

So yeah, I do believe it's luck. Luck of the shot and luck of being on the good side of the "lag".

And what's this about invincible frames??? If this is legit, this game can fuck itself with a spit covered stick dipped in shards of glass. I don't have a right to kill some bastard who walks in front of my gun simply because the game didn't "allow" it to happen? WOW!!!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Well, I can say that the problems I suffer I'm also guilty of. I've gotten kills when I was in a reloading animation. I've continued shooting people long after they've turned a corner and got them through the wall apparently. Those times are laughable too. It's just more frustrating when it happens to me :D.

So yeah, I do believe it's luck. Luck of the shot and luck of being on the good side of the "lag".

And what's this about invincible frames??? If this is legit, this game can fuck itself with a spit covered stick dipped in shards of glass. I don't have a right to kill some bastard who walks in front of my gun simply because the game didn't "allow" it to happen? WOW!!!
by invicible frames i mean you can only damage an enemy about once every third of a second. the guns fire a lot faster than though, especially the smgs.

edit: it was intentionally put in

-COOLIO- said:
by invicible frames i mean you can only damage an enemy about once every third of a second. the guns fire a lot faster than though, especially the smgs.

that include headshots?

-COOLIO- said:

The intentional part is what makes it horrible. Thanks for the info. Now I know not to purchase the new maps and will now give up the game for good. Awesome. No wonder my sneaking up on an unsuspecting enemy and shooting them in the back of their head with half a clip didn't register...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Red Blaster said:
I'm Level 6 with a k/d ratio above 1. Gulf between experts and non-experts is enormous in MGO.
ya it is :(

hmmmmmmmm, you could host a room with a level restriction. as for general tips uhhh:

assault rifle 2 is great

low sensitivity settings the bomb annnnnd

just feel it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom