• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
SMZC said:
I see. I didn't recognize it by his avatar.

Unfortunately I can't say I've played Thief for more than a few minutes. Still, regardless of how important Thief was to the stealth genre, it's obvious that both MGS1 and MGS2 contributed a lot to it, whereas MGS4 didn't.

It may not have innovated much, but the degree to which they tweaked and beefed up the mechanics satisfied me more than enough. I'd take near perfect execution over innovation anyday. Especially in a series like this, with an established formula that still works and can still be used as the framework for an eclectic game.

Intuitive controls with minimal clunkiness, more freedom of movement while walking, crawling, crouching and fighting, a camo-system that fits in to the MGS universe and doesn't rely on tedious menus, solid camera that never obstructs or limits your sense of sight in an illogical manner... it's a big step forward. The gameplay never needed any big changes to stay relevant, just needed streamlining.

Just needed less emphasis on story and more time spent on making some playgrounds for me to stalk around and USE the sweet new controls.

industrian said:
IMO, it could have been a lot better. They should have done away with the "curfew" concept and had the city full of living, breathing people that Snake would have to ignore in his pursuit of the guy. Not to mention that having citywide checkpoints would have made Snake have to find creative ways around.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

I find it difficult to rank the games too. I do think MGS3 may have worst story though. My main gripe with it is that all of MGS4's narrative problems stem from the fact that MGS3 actually exists. The one redeeming aspect of MGS3's narrative is in it's characterisation and I just think MGS4 did it better. Old Snake is the most fully realised character in the history of the medium.

And I still say that the start of Act V is quite probably my favourite section of the entire series. David Ellis should stop banging on about the dire rockworm level and play this section.

y2dvd

It's easy to rank the games based on how much I enjoyed playing them at the time of release. My order would go:

While I hated the alert system in 3, it wins over 4 for the sheer fact that it introduced the CQC ground slam - the most satisfying move in the series!

Menaged

If you would have asked me 2 months ago what's the best MGS, I'd say that 3 might be the winner.

But I played Snake Eater again and tons of thing were frustrating as hell. The Camo system is a pain in the ass, and the camera is god awful.

I remebred the story as the highlight, but up until the end, it was quite boring. Even the thrilling 2 hours of the game weren't that great after MGS4 chase scenes.

Since I don't really adore MGS2, I'd say MGS1 is the best Metal Gear, followed by MGS4.

(If anyone cares...)

MGS3 was easily my favorite because of the cold war era, James Bond stuff. I think the incorporation of historical figures into such a bullshit story is fantastic. Best save girl, too.

Still haven't played this, still am dying to. ("A next Metal Gear" seems to be my only hope at this point.)

I have a couple questions about it though. As you begin, does it sort of give you a quick runthrough of the story from the previous games? I've beaten them all, but still am really confused on a couple of key points in the story and I'd like to get them straightened out before my confusion gets worse.

Secondly, does the game handle combat any better than the previous Metal Gear games? A lot of my problem with this series is that the controls are not so great. They seem more suited to sneaking than to fighting (although I would still prefer some sort of third person adaptation of the Rainbow Six Vegas controls), so when it DOES come down to a fight, you feel really gimped by the controls. How have the controls been changed or improved from previous games?

Omikaru

Gameplay wise, I'd say: MGS2>MGS1>MGS4>MGS3 (I'm definitely a sucker for the arcadey gameplay of the first two games and, to a lesser extent, MGS3)
Story, I'd have to say that MGS1=MGS2=MGS3>>>>>>MGS4
Overall, I feel it's MGS1=MGS2>MGS3>>>>>>>>>>MGS4

Seriously, 4 was such a let down. I was a little disappointed by MGS3 back in the day, but at least it had a powerful plot; the gameplay was just a little broken. MGS4 just forgets that it's a Metal Gear game 80% of the time, both in the plot and the gameplay. The only good parts of MGS4 were Acts I & II. III and IV were pretty bad from a gameplay and plot perspective, and Act V was just plain horrible.

SMZC

My rank is MGS2 > MGS1 > MGS3, with MGS4 being way behind those three.

To me, MGS1 and MGS2 marked the series at its best in terms of storyline. Both had complex storylines (or convoluted if you will, but in a good way), full of shocking twists at every turn that not only were surprising, but coherent as well. Now the series has adopted a new style, with much more straight-forward storylines that lack all of the complexity from MGS1 and MGS2, and the amount of huge plot twists has been drastically reduced. I loved the series back in the day when Kojima would pulled off things like Raiden. Now, something like that is unconceivable.

Many people say that MGS3 has the best storyline in the series, but the game actually shines in its pacing and narrative more than in the actual storyline, which isn't so special except for some of its characters (and even though MGS3 obviously beats MGS2 in the pacing and flow departments, I think MGS1 was much better than MGS3 in those regards).

revolverjgw said:
It may not have innovated much, but the degree to which they tweaked and beefed up the mechanics satisfied me more than enough. I'd take near perfect execution over innovation anyday.

I agree with that last statement, but MGS4's execution is far from perfect. You could say that the first two acts' gameplay is the series gameplay at its peak, but most of the gameplay from act 3 is ruined by the resistance member's shitty AI, act 4 hardly has any gameplay at all since its more about nostalgia than actual gameplay, and in act 5 you don't even play for more than ten minutes.

I've debated this a lot with myself since 4 has been out but I really can't pick a favourite. Anytime I try to pick out one, I always think of how much I enjoyed the others. There's no black sheep in the MGS series for me although I'd love a remake of 1-3 with the MGS 4 engine.

Daante

Omikaru said:
Seriously, 4 was such a let down. I was a little disappointed by MGS3 back in the day, but at least it had a powerful plot; the gameplay was just a little broken. MGS4 just forgets that it's a Metal Gear game 80% of the time, both in the plot and the gameplay. The only good parts of MGS4 were Acts I & II. III and IV were pretty bad from a gameplay and plot perspective, and Act V was just plain horrible.

I dont agree with that. I think pretty much all the MGS so far have deliverd big time in their own way. I found the gameplay and control in MGS4 to be a huuuge leap forward compared to the previous ones. The only part inside me where i felt MGS4 was a bit behind the others , where the boss fights. I didnt find them to be bad or anything like that but just dont "up there" compared to my favorite ones that are in MGS3.

Storywise i would rank MGS4 almost as good as my favorite one MGS3. "MGS4 forgets that it´s Metal Gear game 80% of the time" ? , okay that dosent make any sense whatsoever to me. I truly felt "that" Metal Gear feeling trough the whole game :)

Facism

My biggest problem with MGS4 is that what i considered to be the meat of the game wasn't enough. Acts 1 & 2 felt like they should have been longer. Didn't enjoy the rest of the game nearly as much as those 2 acts.

S1lentTwo

Banned
Ninja Kn1ght said:
All of the Metal Gears are equally awesome in my book. Try as I might I can't really separate them into a ranking, each brings something special.

My thoughts exactly. I've never been able to justify ranking one ahead of the other, and not for lack of trying.

MNC

Alright. I loved MGS1, MGS2, MGS3 didn't have the chance to amaze me since I dont have a PS2. I tried the MGS4 demo but the appeal wasn't as great as I thought it would be.

I still love to have the game, the trailers still look good to me, but the demo decreased it JUST a notch.
I think I didn't like the middle east setting that much, plus the fact it wasn't crazy MGS with silly villains (Though there were these flying ravens at the end of the demo) nor some gecko fights.

Gaf, if I buy MGS4 will I love it like the rest or will I get slightly dissapointed?

Omikaru said:
Gameplay wise, I'd say: MGS2>MGS1>MGS4>MGS3 (I'm definitely a sucker for the arcadey gameplay of the first two games and, to a lesser extent, MGS3)

Yeah, that's a good summary of how I feel.
Edit: Except for the gameplay bit.
Gameplay wise, I'd say: MGS3>MGS>MGS2>MGS4

Acid08

Banned
Omikaru said:

Wow.

Shalashaska said:
Are we talking about how we felt at the time or now? I loved MGS when it came out but its really tough to play now.
Now, just played through MGS1 again (I bought the PC version years ago (even though I had it on PS1), one of the smartest things I've ever done).

Zeouterlimits said:
Now, just played through MGS1 again (I bought the PC version years ago (even though I had it on PS1), one of the smartest things I've ever done).
I see. There's no way I could put MGS ahead of 2, 3 or 4 for gameplay now. I played them all before 4 came out and I struggled a bit with MGS. I'm afraid to go back now having played 4.

S1lentTwo

Banned
I tried to go back and play MGS3 after playing MGS4 and it was really, really tough. I don't understand how anyone could rate MGS4's gameplay behind the others...

Shalashaska said:
I see. There's no way I could put MGS ahead of 2, 3 or 4 for gameplay now. I played them all before 4 came out and I struggled a bit with MGS. I'm afraid to go back now having played 4.
I loved the gameplay for the first two acts.
Hated Act3, enjoyed the nostalgia for Act4 (but I didn't actually do anything interesting), and not sure what happened in the 30 mins of gameplay for Act 5.

F*cking nanomachines.

Zeouterlimits said:
I loved the gameplay for the first two acts.
Hated Act3, enjoyed the nostalgia for Act4 (but I didn't actually do anything interesting), and not sure what happened in the 30 mins of gameplay for Act 5.

F*cking nanomachines.
Actually, let me rephrase. I should've said controls instead of gameplay, my bad.

Shalashaska said:
Actually, let me rephrase. I should've said controls instead of gameplay, my bad.
Controls...
I see your point. But I guess I can get past them, I know MGS1+MGS2 so well that it comes natural.
But yes the controls for 4 were a great, necessary improvement, and I really do like them.
But controls do not a good game make...
Of course MGS4 is a good game, just rots too quickly and forgets what makes the game(and series) so great.

Blader

Omikaru said:

Are you kidding? MGS3 had the worst plot of the whole series.

Zeouterlimits said:
Controls...
I see your point. But I guess I can get past them, I know MGS1+MGS2 so well that it comes natural.
But yes the controls for 4 were a great, necessary improvement, and I really do like them.
But controls do not a good game make...
Of course MGS4 is a good game, just rots too quickly and forgets what makes the game(and series) so great.
That I agree with, but bad controls can hamper a game. What 4 really made me want are remakes of the first 3.

Make it happen Konami, you don't need Kojima for it so he can work on something else.

MNC

MNC said:
Alright. I loved MGS1, MGS2, MGS3 didn't have the chance to amaze me since I dont have a PS2. I tried the MGS4 demo but the appeal wasn't as great as I thought it would be.

I still love to have the game, the trailers still look good to me, but the demo decreased it JUST a notch.
I think I didn't like the middle east setting that much, plus the fact it wasn't crazy MGS with silly villains (Though there were these flying ravens at the end of the demo) nor some gecko fights.

Gaf, if I buy MGS4 will I love it like the rest or will I get slightly dissapointed?
Quoted for the next page.

S1lentTwo

Banned
I can understand the complaint about MGS4's balance in that the game shifts heavily toward cinematics in the latter acts. That's valid. But as far as the amount of total gameplay...it still stands up well in comparison to the other games. Go back and play MGS1 and skip the cutscenes...there's really not a whole lot of gameplay. Plus MGS4 doesn't feature tedious crap that both MGS1 and MGS2 had (backtracking to get the PSG-1, PAL Keys, defusing the bombs).

SMZC

Blader5489 said:

The plot itself isn't anything special, but it has some really interesting characters like Ocelot and The Boss, and Big Boss if you connect the ending with what the character will eventually become. And that's much more than what one can say about MGS4's plot.

Shalashaska said:
That I agree with, but bad controls can hamper a game. What 4 really made me want are remakes of the first 3.

Make it happen Konami, you don't need Kojima for it so he can work on something else.
Remakes? I... I think it'd be too soon, perhaps post 2010, but even then.
Guess it depends on how well they're marketed.

Darkpen

Banned
Acid08 said:
In every single way.
Are we talking about the Xbox version? If we are, then I agree.

If not, then I don't see how its difficult to play. On the contrary, I can understand if someone said MGS3 or MGS was difficult to play, but MGS2 is quite possibly one of the most polished games on the PS2 I've come across. The controls and character movements are tight, uniform, and ultimately reliable.

Its MGS1 next-gen, so to speak.

If you have a hard time playing MGS2, chances are, you're playing it wrong.

Omikaru

Acid08 said:
Except not at all. 2 is by far the worst in the series and 1 is barely playable anymore.
Are you mad?

Blader5489 said:
That dubious title belongs to MGS4. MGS3 was indeed a warning sign in that direction, but to say the plot is the weakest is giving MGS4 too much credit. I personally found Big Boss and The Boss to be some of series' most iconic characters.

I'd say MGS3's plot was ruined when it was shoehorned into MGS4 too much. MGS3 is an excellent standalone title from a plot perspective and it's biggest flaw was probably the broken gameplay, like having to pause to switch camouflage, the pointless heal system (it would've been better if injuries had more negative effects on Snake, and if he wasn't a walking hospital), stupidly long alert times for what many consider a game with arcade style gameplay and boring-ass waiting in the grass stealth gameplay.

When you look at MGS3, it stands by itself really, really well. You don't need to have played MGS1 or 2 to have played MGS3. The same can't be said of MGS2, which is quite the mess if you've missed the first one. MGS4 is in a whole different realm in this aspect, as it's weighed down needlessly by the fiction of the whole series. It has such a shallow plot because Kojima was more interested in fanservice and answering the fans' questions.

At least MGS3 established a cast of mostly interesting, new characters who we could get to know from start to finish. MGS4 took our favourite characters from 1, 2 and 3, gave them a personality transplant and dumped them into a shitty fiction with skewered, two-dimensional motives.

Edit: Oh, and if a tricky question came up in MGS4, Kojima would sprinkle fair du-- I mean, nanomachines into the plot. It really is the most hideous thing he's ever made. There are few redeeming points of MGS4's plot once you get past Act II.

Acid08

Banned
Darkpen said:
Are we talking about the Xbox version? If we are, then I agree.

If not, then I don't see how its difficult to play. On the contrary, I can understand if someone said MGS3 or MGS was difficult to play, but MGS2 is quite possibly one of the most polished games on the PS2 I've come across. The controls and character movements are tight, uniform, and ultimately reliable.

Its MGS1 next-gen, so to speak.

If you have a hard time playing MGS2, chances are, you're playing it wrong.
MGS2 was incredibly boring to me. It's as simple as that. 1, 3, and 4 are 3 of my favorite games of all time. 2 is pretty terrible.

Edit: and 2 is no where near as good as 1 and to even insinuate so is a disgrace to 1.

BigBoss

Omikaru said:
Are you mad?

That dubious title belongs to MGS4. MGS3 was indeed a warning sign in that direction, but to say the plot is the weakest is giving MGS4 too much credit.

MGS2 was the first warning sign with that total mess of a story and its the biggest reason why MGS4's story is such a clusterfuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom