• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPirate

Banned
I guess I'm a bad Metal Gear fan by enjoying and liking and being more impressed with MGS4 in every single way than the other 3.

Blasphemy I suppose :(

BeeDog

DrPirate said:
I guess I'm a bad Metal Gear fan by enjoying and liking and being more impressed with MGS4 in every single way than the other 3.

That makes the two of us. We will get crucified on the same cross.

Acid08

Banned
DrPirate said:

You have to like 2's horrible camera and story more than anything else or you're not a real MGS fan.

Omikaru

BigBoss said:
MGS2 was the first warning sign with that total mess of a story and its the biggest reason why MGS4's story is such a clusterfuck.
:lol

MGS4's story being a clusterfuck is down to the whole plot being weighed down by the fiction of the first three games. You can't single out one game and just prey on it.

The fact that MGS4 was smothered with MGS3's plot elements, and the fact that he tied these into MGS4 (
SIGINT as DARPA Chief? PUH-LEEZE! Ocelot being a "good guy" all along? Fuck off!
) could also be considered an issue.

The fact of the matter is that MGS2 was purposefully ambiguous. MGS3 attempted to answer many of these questions in on the sidelines (like "Who are the Patriots?" and "What [most likely] happened to Olga's child?") but that wasn't enough. The fans called for direct answers, and so Kojima was in a tight spot. He had to answer MGS2's questions, and iron out all the contradictions he'd created with MGS3. Not easy.

In my opinion, MGS4 shouldn't have been so ultimately conclusive. You can conclude Solid Snake's story without having to answer every single fucking question in such a ham-fisted way. By attempting to do so, Kojima compromised the plot of MGS4 from the very beginning. The fact that he makes each game's plot up as he goes along should've been an early warning sign to him that he should've just left things as they are, and made MGS4 its own semi-independent thread.

DrPirate

Banned
Then it is good to die alongside the rest of you.

Spending money on all 4 games were the best decisions in gaming I have ever made and I have recieved an inestimable amount of value back from all 4.

None of the games have crappy plots because I took them for the pieces of fiction they are (NANOMACHINES, FLYING PSYCHICS AND GIANT ROBOT TANKS DON'T FUCKING EXIST PEOPLE!!!!!!).

I had no problem with the story taking itself seriously because the whole world they made is fictious. Just because they took some true to life history, military terms and treaties doesn't mean it was meant to be based in reality. It just fleshes out their own world with pieces of their own.

Complaining about the story is like saying The Flintstones is a mockery of history. ZOMG DINOSAURS CAME 65 MILLION YEARS BEFORE HUMANS!

Omikaru said:
:

The fact that MGS4 was smothered with MGS3's plot elements, and the fact that he tied these into MGS4 (
SIGINT as DARPA Chief?

If it took you until MGS4 to realize that, not only is Metal Gear the wrong series for you, I worry about your ability to connect things in anything that requires problem solving....

DrPirate said:

You're entitled to your opinion dude, no-one (not me) is saying that you're less of a fan.

If anything I feel like I'm on the outside looking in, a huge MGS fan, but one sorely disappointed by 4.
To each their own ^_^

DrPirate

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
You're entitled to your opinion dude, no-one (not me) is saying that you're less of a fan.

If anything I feel like I'm on the outside looking in, a huge MGS fan, but one sorely disappointed by 4.
To each their own ^_^

I just don't understand how a Metal Gear fan can be disappointed by MGS4.

I just can't possibly conceive it in any way possible. Like.....in order to understand this, from my point of view, if you like Metal Gear, even just a little, you can't possible, not in this, or any other universe, be let down by MGS4.

So yeah, I don't get this. It's like being pissed off when your offered food while starving.

Edit: And I read the reasoning, and the reason's don't make any sense. In my mind, they border the realms of just being made up.

I AM a MGS fanboy (fanbot) whatever the stupid words are nowadays, I won't deny it. I can't deny how the story and gameplay just click with me. But I dunno. It sucks to hear people that are apparantly just like me, were dismayed.

I wish you all enjoyed the game as much as I did, and I only say that in everyone's best interest. If it were up to me, I'd have my memory of the game erased so I can enjoy it as much as the first time I played it.

Chinner

Banned
DrPirate said:
If it took you until MGS4 to realize that, not only is Metal Gear the wrong series for you, I worry about your ability to connect things in anything that requires problem solving....
Looks like you missed his point.

DrPirate

Banned
Chinner said:
Looks like you missed his point.

Not entirely: I know his point is that, Kojima couldn't concieve of his own plot, because he was tied to the task of tieing up every loose end and inconsistency in the entire series, across 5 games that were made up on the fly.

But this is was made the game so impressive for me.

I was pointing that out because it was fairly obvious.

Once MGS1 introduced the President of the United States of America as being a clone of Big Boss, the story was always headed for Metal Wolf Chaos levels of lunacy. They even gave him in a power suit.

Omikaru

DrPirate said:
Okay, so maybe that wasn't the best example considering it was hinted at the end of MGS3, so I'll use another one.

The rag-tag radio gang of MGS3 forming The Patriots?
Now that's a load of bollocks right there. The original design of The Patriots was supposed to be elites, not them. Now I know a lot of MGS4 "answers" the contradictions with MGS2's definition of The Patriots, but that doesn't mean to say it's not BS. Kojima just needed a way to shoehorn in MGS3's characters somehow.

And another one about
Para-Medic being Dr. Clarke - now I know Dr. Clarke was gender neutral in the Japanese version of MGS1, but to think that the most kind-natured character in MGS3 turned into an evil, mad scientist performing inhumane experiments that would chill her to bone is a prime example of MGS4's personality transplants

SMZC

DrPirate said:

I just can't possibly conceive it in any way possible. Like.....in order to understand this, from my point of view, if you like Metal Gear, even just a little, you can't possible, not in this, or any other universe, be let down by MGS4.

It's just the opposite, actually. If you are a fan of the series, how can you like MGS4 knowing that it shits all over the original trilogy? I mean, most people here are in love with MGS3, and yet many of them love MGS4 despite of it defeating the whole idea behind MGS3's splendid ending. Someone please explain this to me.

DrPirate

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
Once MGS1 introduced the President of the United States of America as being a clone of Big Boss, the story was always headed for Metal Wolf Chaos levels of lunacy. They even gave him in a power suit.

EXACTLY. This is the point.

The story is batshit insane. There are too many people who attempt to take the story seriously, and more common than not, those are the people who say: Ok. This is retarded. I'm not buying this shit story.

But the entire thing isn't to insult your intelligence, it's just a story for entertainment. I enjoy books and movies, but the story in this game is meant to be enjoyed in another way. I just brush aside all my notions of reality and truth and accept Kojima's story for what it is. Metal Gear has the same amount of relevancy to truth as Star Wars does.

I don't know. For what it was worth, I enjoyed Metal Gear's plot.

I suppose I just feel sorry for those who were let down by it. The hype must have been kill you like it did to me and after all that time, to be let down? That must suck.

I'll exit this thread now. Sorry for getting in the way of this conversation.

Loudninja

SMZC said:
It's just the opposite, actually. If you are a fan of the series, how can you like MGS4 knowing that it shits all over the original trilogy? I mean, most people here are in love with MGS3, and yet many of them love MGS4 despite of it defeating the whole idea behind MGS3's splendid ending. Someone please explain this to me.

What! :lol :lol

Omikaru

DrPirate said:

So yeah, I don't get this. It's like being pissed off when your offered food while starving.

Edit: And I read the reasoning, and the reason's don't make any sense. In my mind, they border the realms of just being made up.

I AM a MGS fanboy (fanbot) whatever the stupid words are nowadays, I won't deny it. I can't deny how the story and gameplay just click with me. But I dunno. It sucks to hear people that are apparantly just like me, were dismayed.

I wish you all enjoyed the game as much as I did, and I only say that in everyone's best interest. If it were up to me, I'd have my memory of the game erased so I can enjoy it as much as the first time I played it.
Well, you can enjoy MGS4 if you want, nobody's stopping you. But just so you know, I am (was) a huge, huge Metal Gear fan. From 2003-2006 I ran a huge MGS fansite (Planet-MGS.com, then renamed MetalGearSource.com) that got thousands of visitors a day, but I ran out of time to do it, and MGS: TUS had come along by that point so I just decided to pack it in. But y'know, I was disappointed in MGS4. To me, it craps on the entire trilogy. If anything, it's sort of an insult, considering all the time and effort I and so many others put into running a site and community as a tribute to the series, and then Kojima comes along and does that.

At least that's my perspective on it.

DrPirate

Banned
Omikaru said:
Well, you can enjoy MGS4 if you want, nobody's stopping you. But just so you know, I am (was) a huge, huge Metal Gear fan. From 2003-2006 I ran a huge MGS fansite (Planet-MGS.com, then renamed MetalGearSource.com) that got thousands of visitors a day, but I ran out of time to do it, and MGS: TUS had come along by that point so I just decided to pack it in. But y'know, I was disappointed in MGS4. To me, it craps on the entire trilogy. If anything, it's sort of an insult, considering all the time and effort I and so many others put into running a site and community as a tribute to the series, and then Kojima comes along and does that.

At least that's my perspective on it.

Holy shit!

I used to go there ALOT to catch every bit of news (This was before N4G and before I learned how to use RSS).

Oh man, dude, that sucks. I can empathize with you slightly

I don't know what to tell you then. I can't apologize on Kojima's behalf naturally, but as a fellow fan, the only thing I can think of is to try it again and experience the story in a different mindset.

Anduron

Omikaru said:
When you look at MGS3, it stands by itself really, really well. You don't need to have played MGS1 or 2 to have played MGS3. The same can't be said of MGS2, which is quite the mess if you've missed the first one. MGS4 is in a whole different realm in this aspect, as it's weighed down needlessly by the fiction of the whole series. It has such a shallow plot because Kojima was more interested in fanservice and answering the fans' questions.

Have to agree with all that, that's why I have a lot of hope for his next game even though I HATED MGS4.

Omikaru

Francinium said:
Have to agree with all that, that's why I have a lot of hope for his next game even though I HATED MGS4.
I'm pretty much done with MGS after 4, myself.

I'll probably indulge in the alternate universe spinoffs like AC!D, because they're generally quite fun from a gameplay (well, AC!D2 anyway) and plot perspective. But MGS4 already did enough damage to the trilogy, and I find it hard to play those without going back to MGS4's "explanations" these days. I really don't fancy experiencing another sodomizing of the series in that way...

Dibbz

Omikaru said:
Okay, so maybe that wasn't the best example considering it was hinted at the end of MGS3, so I'll use another one.

The rag-tag radio gang of MGS3 forming The Patriots?
Now that's a load of bollocks right there. The original design of The Patriots was supposed to be elites, not them. Now I know a lot of MGS4 "answers" the contradictions with MGS2's definition of The Patriots, but that doesn't mean to say it's not BS. Kojima just needed a way to shoehorn in MGS3's characters somehow.

And another one about
Para-Medic being Dr. Clarke - now I know Dr. Clarke was gender neutral in the Japanese version of MGS1, but to think that the most kind-natured character in MGS3 turned into an evil, mad scientist performing inhumane experiments that would chill her to bone is a prime example of MGS4's personality transplants
Paramedic and everyone else in operation Snake Eater were branded as "the bad guys" right after MGS3 and during Portable Ops weren't they? It makes sense after playing Portable Op's that the Snake Eater crew would be a little pissed at everyone tbh.

MGS4's plot problems stem from the fact it tries to answer to many questions but infact brings more questions to the table. What was Naomi doing the whole time? What was Eva and Ocelot trying to achieve? What was Vamp doing with Ocelot?

Another problem were the characters (read: bosses) in MGS4 were not as interesting and integral to the plot as every MGS before it imo.

*snot-nosed kid voice* Well I like this one more than that one. If you don't agree you're dumb neh.

This place is pathetic. I wanted to join Gaf because of the lack of bitching and moaning and the low tolerance towards it. WTF is up with this place?

..... So I've been just messing around with the guards and they are really tough on harder difficulty settings. I'm not sure what I want to do: Go for no alerts/full stealth or mess with the fuckers and see what they do. Both ways prove to be very fun and worthwhile. Back to complaining boys and girls.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I really don't understand all this "4 craps on the first 3" talk. Did you people play the same game I did? I've been a huge fan of the series since 1 and my experience was the complete opposite.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I like to play games and have fun with them.

SpongeBob-standup-01.jpg

SMZC

140.85 said:
I really don't understand all this "4 craps on the first 3" talk. Did you people play the same game I did? I've been a huge fan of the series since 1 and my experience was the complete opposite.

It retcons tons of things from the three games, rendering many memorable cut-scenes, characters and plots pointless. Here's just one example:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yxrPTvJBY6c

Watch it from 6:00 to 7:30. If you've finished MGS4 (which I guess you have) you'll realize that the whole purpose of this conversation between Snake and Naomi is now pointless thanks to MGS4's ending.

But then again, MGS4 defeats the purpose of its own cut-scenes.
Snake's supposed suicide? Raiden's apparent death? EVA getting burned to save "Big Boss"' body? Decent cut-scenes that could have been great if their very own game didn't defeat their own purpose by the revelation of some new information told later in the game (the body being Solidus' instead of Big Boss', Raiden not dying, Snake not killing himself, etc).

The gameplay is somewhat broken in MGS4. I was hiding in the first level only to find that I where I was hiding was a respawn point and guards were respawing on top of me. Just about ruined the game for me.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SMZC said:
But then again, MGS4 defeats the purpose of its own cut-scenes.
Snake's supposed suicide? Raiden's apparent death? EVA getting burned to save "Big Boss"' body? Decent cut-scenes that could have been great if their very own game didn't defeat their own purpose by the revelation of some new information told later in the game (the body being Solidus' instead of Big Boss', Raiden not dying, Snake not killing himself, etc).

And that means defeating the purpose? You must have hated The Sixth Sense.

BigBoss

Bearillusion said:
The gameplay is somewhat broken in MGS4. I was hiding in the first level only to find that I where I was hiding was a respawn point and guards were respawing on top of me. Just about ruined the game for me.

Where?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BigBoss said:

Pretty sure he's talking about the very beginning where you have to run away from Gekkos.

Not sure where he was hiding tho to have guards spawning on top of him.

BigBoss

TTP said:
Pretty sure he's talking about the very beginning where you have to run away from Gekkos.

Not sure where he was hiding tho to have guards spawning on top of him.

But there aren't any guards in the first section, only Gekkos and militia.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BigBoss said:
But there aren't any guards in the first section, only Gekkos and militia.

You start playing when PMCs have already left? I don't remember.
In any case, I don't recall any reachable spawn point in the "first level". Nor the whole game. New guards usually arrived vaulting over a wall.

BigBoss

TTP said:
You start playing when PMCs have already left? I don't remember.
In any case, I don't recall any reachable spawn point in the "first level". Nor the whole game. New guards usually arrived vaulting over a wall.

Yes, The PMCs pull back and the Gekkos arrive to clean-up.

SMZC

TTP said:
And that means defeating the purpose? You must have hated The Sixth Sense.

I don't remember The Sixth Sense that well, but as far as I can remember, the whole movie was done with the final twist in mind.
That body in MGS4 being Solidus' instead of Big Boss? Sorry, I don't buy it, and I don't know how anyone can. EVA almost getting killed in order to save it made sense when we thought that it was Big Boss', but knowing that it was Solidus' makes it so stupid. Not to mention that the Patriots and Liquid Ocelot were both fooled into believing that Solidus' body was Big Boss. So, the game is basically telling me that this almighty organization that rules the world, and Solid Snake's evil brother who was obsessed with Big Boss his whole life, couldn't tell the difference between Solidus and Big Boss even though they were missing a different eye? How does that make any sense?

About Raiden's death, it doesn't even have anything to do with any plot twist. That cut-scene was obviously presented to us as a death scene. Then, an hour later, we're told that Raiden is just fine. There's just no excuse for that. I remember this one friend of mine that was playing the game with me a month after the game came out, and he really liked Raiden's "death" scene. You should have seen his reaction when he heard Otacon saying that Raiden was alive.

I was mentioning earlier how MGS1 and MGS2's twists were both shocking and coherent. Some of MGS4's may be shocking.... but coherent? No.

SMZC

BruceLeeRoy said:
I want to play this again so badly but I keep hoping they will announce trophy's.

I doubt they ever will. If anything, they'll come with a hypothetical Substance version, but I wouldn't count on seeing them in GOTP.

What's wrong with having to play it again? I've beaten it twice without going for the extra doodads you get for no alerts and such but I'd go through it again and again without trying for them and STILL play again for trophies....

SMZC said:
I doubt they ever will. If anything, they'll come with a hypothetical Substance version, but I wouldn't count on seeing them in GOTP.

Ahh so lame your probably right.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
What's wrong with having to play it again? I've beaten it twice without going for the extra doodads you get for no alerts and such but I'd go through it again and again without trying for them and STILL play again for trophies....

I have played through it 4 times already.
The next time I do I wanted to do everything perfect which would be nice to do while getting trophy's.

I don't remember the exact location but it's not the very first part. I decided to take out some guards using the Mk 2 or whatever it was called and just as I was about to get them suddenly the camera snapped back to snake as he had been discovered. I was surprised I was found as I thought I was well hidden. Turned out where I was hidding was a respawn point.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bearillusion said:
I don't remember the exact location but it's not the very first part. I decided to take out some guards using the Mk 2 or whatever it was called and just as I was about to get them suddenly the camera snapped back to snake as he had been discovered. I was surprised I was found as I thought I was well hidden. Turned out where I was hidding was a respawn point.

Guards in MGS4 do always come from somewhere. They do not just appear. Your where just unlucky to be hiding right on their path.

So, you didn't play the whole game because of this? I mean, this make the gameplay "somewhat broken"?

TTP said:
Guards in MGS4 do always come from somewhere. They do not just appear. Your where just unlucky to be hiding right on their path.

So, you didn't play the whole game because of this? I mean, this make the gameplay "somewhat broken"?

You're correct they may have vaulted over the wall in the little spot I was hidding but it still breaks the illusion.

I finished the game but I found it's little things like this coupled with loading screens (especially between chase scenes like at the end of Act 2 or 3) that made the game feel unpolished or badly thought out. To me anyway.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
SMZC said:
Watch it from 6:00 to 7:30. If you've finished MGS4 (which I guess you have) you'll realize that the whole purpose of this conversation between Snake and Naomi is now pointless thanks to MGS4's ending.

Snake talking with Naomi about how
he killed Big Boss in MG2 (or thought he had)
? What's the problem?

SMZC said:

Um, you do understand the whole concept or leading the viewer, plot twists and red herrings right? Just because one thing was indicated to the viewer but the actual truth turned out different doesn't break the plot. You must not enjoy alot of films because this is a pretty common device.

In retrospect I can say MGS4 was objectively pretty uneven quality-wise, though I still love the game personally.

All this talk about shitting on the series however, is just standard nerd outrage . MGS4, is in essence, what most Metal Gear fans wanted after MGS2. Everywhere it was "What is this supernatural bullshit doing in Metal Gear? Immortal vampires running up walls and women who can deflect missiles!?" I toss some of the blame on Kojima as well, because I think it's clear he didn't listen to his own ideas quite as much as he did the fans who so desperately wanted everything to be neatly wrapped up. He'd pretty much backed himself into a corner with the story and tried his best to force it into a simple conclusion to please those old fans.

Also, the series retconned shit all the time. In MGS1,
it's revealed that Big Boss was Snake's father and that he knew all along as he was killing him
which is one of the most egregious retcons in the series. Kojima clearly didn't care that much about having everything work together and just added stuff he thought was neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom