• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
SMZC said:
Yes, he's referring to Snake being Big Boss' doppelganger (or rather, Naked Snake's).

Wow, someone's bitter.

Pardon me, but the whole purpose of RAY is to be an anti-REX Metal Gear. The thing should be able to annihilate dozens of them without a scratch; that's its fucking purpose. But now MGS4 tells us that RAY can't destroy a single REX without living to tell the story? We're not even talking about a brand new REX, we're talking about one that was almost destroyed and abandoned for years. I mean, it's not like MGS4's strongest point is its coherence, but... lol.

With Snake defeating a Metal Gear with a stinger missile launcher you could at least say that a Metal Gear wasn't designed to battle against ordinary troops; using a Metal Gear to beat a single soldier would be like using a rocket launcher to kill a fly. On the other hand, Snake using REX to battle against RAY puts Snake (or rather: should put him) in a disadvantage, because he's turning himself into the target that is RAY's speciality. And still, RAY can't destroy REX without RAY itself being destroyed too. As a huge Metal Gear RAY fan, I felt insulted by the sheer idiocy of this.

SPOILER:

You forget that Liquid/Ocelot isn't really trying to kill Snake...?

SMZC

Catalix said:
The entire scenario is sort of idiotic, but it's simply just another way to drive home the whole "inferior" one besting the "superior." I don't take it too seriously.

On a side note, I agree with most of your sentiments on the retcons that were introduced in MPO/MGS4. But the thing you mentioned about
Zero "not giving a damn" about the Boss in MGS3 isn't true. They were indeed old friends, they served in the SAS together. In fact, The Boss was the one that helped Zero get the FOX Unit trial green-lighted. They weren't portrayed as extremely buddy-buddy throughout the game itself, but I'm just saying the precedent for their mutual respect and affection was present at that time. It didn't come out of nowhere in MGS4.

Yes, you're right. The problem is when you look at the way Zero is portrayed in the events of the actual game. He and the others are always reminding Snake that The Boss is his objective and that he has to kill her, and the only person that has an inner conflict is Snake. He knows he has to do it, but the game shows that he is troubled by the fact that he has to kill his old mentor. With Zero we don't see any of this despite of the fact that they were in the SAS together; actually he's the one that is always reminding Snake of his duty, talking about killing The Boss as if it was a mere "objective".

I remember one dialogue that was something like:

-Snake, you have to do it. She's your enemy and your objective.
-Enemy? We were together for ten years, and now you tell me she's my enemy?

MoonsaultSlayer said:
SPOILER:

You forget that Liquid/Ocelot isn't really trying to kill Snake...?

I think you've forgotten about that part where Liquid Ocelot tries to crush Snake with Outer Haven:lol

SMZC said:
Yes, he's referring to Snake being Big Boss' doppelganger (or rather, Naked Snake's).

Wow, someone's bitter.

Pardon me, but the whole purpose of RAY is to be an anti-REX Metal Gear. The thing should be able to annihilate dozens of them without a scratch; that's its fucking purpose. But now MGS4 tells us that RAY can't destroy a single REX without living to tell the story? We're not even talking about a brand new REX, we're talking about one that was almost destroyed and abandoned for years. I mean, it's not like MGS4's strongest point is its coherence, but... lol.

With Snake defeating a Metal Gear with a stinger missile launcher you could at least say that a Metal Gear wasn't designed to battle against ordinary troops; using a Metal Gear to beat a single soldier would be like using a rocket launcher to kill a fly. On the other hand, Snake using REX to battle against RAY puts Snake (or rather: should put him) in a disadvantage, because he's turning himself into the target that is RAY's speciality. And still, RAY can't destroy REX without RAY itself being destroyed too. As a huge Metal Gear RAY fan, I felt insulted by the sheer idiocy of this.

Wow, i can't believe that you're ignoring the fact that Solid Snake is controlling REX
and that Ocelot's ultimate plan is to let Solid Snake get to the AI.

Are you sure you really played this game? I think not. I believe you were too busy finding ways to criticize it.

SMZC

NinjaCodah said:
Wow, i can't believe that you're ignoring the fact that Solid Snake is controlling REX
and that Ocelot's ultimate plan is to let Solid Snake get to the AI.

Are you sure you really played this game? I think not. I believe you were too busy finding ways to criticize it.

Read my reply above.

Also, from my experience, many of the people who like the game are the ones who don't understand some of the plot elements of MGS4 (I'm not saying that's the case of anyone here, I'm just talking about what I've seen in other places).

EDIT: You have to distinguish Liquid's plan from Ocelot's.

Liquid's would have worked with or without Snake. His plan was to take the Patriots out of the picture, whether by destroying them with Snake's virus or by nuking JD and taking full control of the system. That's why Liquid tried to kill Snake, because he didn't truly need him for his plan.

Then you have Ocelot's plan, which is basically the same, except for the fact that he only wanted to defeat the Patriots by inserting the virus, but since Ocelot is never in control of his body until after the final battle, this doesn't really matter. The important thing is that whenever Liquid tries to kill Snake in MGS4, he tries it for real. That's not an act.

Well, Raiden did bust in to save the day... you never know how far Liquelot was actually going to go lol.

I agree that some points of the new game are rubbish compared to the awesomeness of MGS2... but I like it a lot.

Yeah you're right, i guess i'll just take your assumptions about certain characters and event and integrate them in the real thing, then complain about how it doesn't make any sense.

Yoboman

I don't have a problem with most of the explanations
except Big Boss. Nice to see him again, completely unnecessary and pointless though. And drawn out.
My main problem with the story is that Kojima bitched out
Raiden should be dead, Snake should be dead. Period.

SMZC

NinjaCodah said:
Yeah you're right, i guess i'll just take your assumptions about certain characters and event and integrate them in the real thing, then complain about how it doesn't make any sense.

lol, what assumptions? You're the one making assumptions like "Liquid never actually tried to kill Snake".

SMZC said:
Read my reply above.

Also, from my experience, many of the people who like the game are the ones who don't understand some of the plot elements of MGS4 (I'm not saying that's the case of anyone here, I'm just talking about what I've seen in other places).

EDIT: You have to distinguish Liquid's plan from Ocelot's.

Liquid's would have worked with or without Snake. His plan was to take the Patriots out of the picture, whether by destroying them with Snake's virus or by nuking JD and taking full control of the system. That's why Liquid tried to kill Snake, because he didn't truly need him for his plan.

Then you have Ocelot's plan, which is basically the same, except for the fact that he only wanted to defeat the Patriots by inserting the virus, but since Ocelot is never in control of his body until after the final battle, this doesn't really matter. The important thing is that whenever Liquid tries to kill Snake in MGS4, he tries it for real. That's not an act.

ah! see, you still believe that Liquid has something to do with this when in fact he doesn't. It really is all Ocelot.

SMZC

NinjaCodah said:
ah! see, you still believe that Liquid has something to do with this when in fact he doesn't. It really is all Ocelot.

Not Liquid per se, the Liquid doppelganger. What you see in MGS4 isn't neither Liquid nor Ocelot, it's Liquid's doppelganger, which is basically Ocelot believing that he is the true Liquid.

You seem to think that Liquid Ocelot is just Ocelot acting like Liquid. That's not exactly the case. Ocelot has split personality, one being his own and the other being Liquid's doppelganger. Whenever he is acting like Liquid's doppelganger, Ocelot isn't in control of his body. That's why I said in a previous reply of mine that the Liquid doppelganger was, for all intents and purposes, like having the real Liquid.

SMZC said:
Not Liquid per se, the Liquid doppelganger. What you see in MGS4 isn't neither Liquid nor Ocelot, it's Liquid's doppelganger, which is basically Ocelot believing that he is the true Liquid.

You seem to think that Liquid Ocelot is just Ocelot acting like Liquid. That's not exactly the case. Ocelot has split personality, one being his own and the other being Liquid's doppelganger. Whenever he is acting like Liquid's doppelganger, Ocelot isn't in control of his body. That's why I said in a previous reply of mine that the Liquid doppelganger was, for all intents and purposes, like having the real Liquid.

I just don't think it was as clear cut as all that. The last fight seemed to hint at the possibility that it was more Ocelot than anyone thought. I like to think there was an element of self-deception there too. Playing the part of Big Boss' son, basically turning himself into the new Big Boss, would have been very appealing to Ocelot.

BigBoss

SMZC said:

The whole purpose of the Patriot missle defense system during the first Gulf War was to shoot down Iraqi SCUDs yet many of them hit their targets in Israel. Heres a newsflash, military technology doesn't always work as its intended, did you also have a problem with Liquid shooting down 2 F-16 with a Hind-D in MGS1? Liquid shooting down 2 F-16s like Snake destroying Ray in a junked up Rex was to show how badass each each character was, thats it, stop over-analyzing everything. For shit's sake, Snake destroyed an M1-A1 Abrams with a couple of frag grenades. :lol

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
You have a problem with Snake finding a way to take out 1 RAY with a REX after Raiden was able to take out tons of 'em with just a rocket launcher? :lol

Yoboman

I hope Big Boss is the next main character in MGS5 (prequel). And an older, more eloquent one too. He seemed like a moron in MGS3, how he became such an influential guy I'd like to see really

SMZC said:

I think you should watch the part where big boss explains the whole doppelganger thing. I think there are videos on youtube. "Cats do love to play as Snakes"

SMZC

freethought said:
I just don't think it was as clear cut as all that. The last fight seemed to hint at the possibility that it was more Ocelot than anyone thought. I like to think there was an element of self-deception there too. Playing the part of Big Boss' son, basically turning himself into the new Big Boss, would have been very appealing to Ocelot.

Well, if it was just Ocelot pretending to be Liquid, he wouldn't had needed to go through the proccess of hypnotic suggestion and all that. By doing so, Ocelot created a second personality inside of his own mind, and just like it happens in real life with people with split personality, Ocelot can't control his body whenever the Liquid doppelganger personality is the one in control.

About him fighting more like Ocelot towards the end... After such an intense fight, I don't find it strange at all that the Liquid doppelganger personality starts to adopt Ocelot's own fighting style. Because, after all, split personality or not, from a medical standpoint he's always Ocelot.

Just to clear thing up more, this is the dialogue after the final battle:

Liquid Ocelot : This is only the beginning, Snake. America will descend into
chaos... It'll be the Wild West all over again. No law, no
order. Fire will spread across the world. The people will
fight... And through battle they will know the fullness of
life. At last... Our father's will... His Outer Heaven... Is
complete.

Liquid Ocelot : Somewhere out there... I know he's laughing.

Liquid Ocelot : We are beasts created by man. Unless the light is put out...
The shadows cannot be erased. So long as there is light...
Erasing shadows will do no good.

(up until this point, he is Liquid's doppalganger. The following is when Ocelot is in full control of his body. Notice that up until this point he's always talked as if he was Liquid, whereas the next part truly sounds like Ocelot)

Revolver Ocelot : I am Liquid's doppelganger. And you are his. Just like your
father. You're pretty good.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
SMZC said:
Yes, you're right. The problem is when you look at the way Zero is portrayed in the events of the actual game. He and the others are always reminding Snake that The Boss is his objective and that he has to kill her, and the only person that has an inner conflict is Snake. He knows he has to do it, but the game shows that he is troubled by the fact that he has to kill his old mentor. With Zero we don't see any of this despite of the fact that they were in the SAS together; actually he's the one that is always reminding Snake of his duty, talking about killing The Boss as if it was a mere "objective".

I remember one dialogue that was something like:

-Snake, you have to do it. She's your enemy and your objective.
-Enemy? We were together for ten years, and now you tell me she's my enemy?
True,
Zero didn't seem phased by the notion of killing the Boss at all, even being the one to repeatedly pound it into Snake's head. It bugs knowing what we know now.

With it's endless avalanche of definitive "answers" to all things great and mundane, it's surprising that MGS4 neglects to connect the dots regarding this particular Zero/Boss issue... which indicates it's probably not worth investigating, and it's a simply a weird fuck up on the part of the writers :/

Which sucks, 'cause I DO have a reasonably rational explanation for this apparent inconsistency too, but don't even know if it's worth going into it. MGS4 sort of took the fun out of hyperactive theorizing... but that's partially my fault anyway :lol

Edit: Should I stop spoilering stuff?

I'm in the biggest mood to play MGS2 again. My ONLY gripe with that game (besides Raiden's voice in many scenes) is the Ninja. I can't stand the bulky look nor the voice... not to mention that it's Olga.

SMZC

BigBoss said:
The whole purpose of the Patriot missle defense system during the first Gulf War was to shoot down Iraqi SCUDs yet many of them hit their targets in Israel. Heres a newsflash, military technology doesn't always work as its intended, did you also have a problem with Liquid shooting down 2 F-16 with a Hind-D in MGS1? Liquid shooting down 2 F-16s like Snake destroying Ray in a junked up Rex was to show how badass each each character was, thats it, stop over-analyzing everything. For shit's sake, Snake destroyed an M1-A1 Abrams with a couple of frag grenades. :lol

I have less problems with being poorly accurate when it comes to actual military vehicles than directly pissing all over the fiction established by the storyline (in this case, RAY being an anti-REX Metal Gear).

Not to mention that most of the bullshit belongs to MGS1. Even MGS4 mocks a lof of it in some optional codec conversations in act 4.

140.85 said:
You have a problem with Snake finding a way to take out 1 RAY with a REX after Raiden was able to take out tons of 'em with just a rocket launcher? :lol

I do have a little bit of a problem with that too, but they are modified versions of the original RAY with a different purpose and they are unmanned. Also, the fact that they are AI controlled coupled with the fact that a Metal Gear wasn't created with the idea of fighting against single soldiers makes that boss fight a little bit more reasonable (if there's anything reasonable about that boss fight).

Catalix said:
Which sucks, 'cause I DO have a reasonably rational explanation for this apparent inconsistency too, but don't even know if it's worth going into it. MGS4 sort of took the fun out of hyperactive theorizing... but that's partially my fault anyway :lol

Share it with us, I'd like to read it.

And yes, I agree with that last statement. Sometimes I still like to pretend MGS4 never happened so MGS2's question "Who are the Patriots" still has all the mystery that made it so appealing in the first place.

:(

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I'm in the biggest mood to play MGS2 again. My ONLY gripe with that game (besides Raiden's voice in many scenes) is the Ninja. I can't stand the bulky look nor the voice... not to mention that it's Olga.

Well, the fact that Olga didn't fit as a ninja was kinda the point. After all, MGS2's ninja isn't meant to be a ninja per se. It's just a random person in a ninja suit to give the illusion that we are in a recreation of Shadow Moses.

I find it much better than turning Raiden into a Gray Fox clone just to please the character's detractors, even if Raiden does fit as a ninja. In MGS2 there was a point to turn Olga into a ninja, but in MGS4 it's just Kojima reusing previous plot elements in a desperate effort to please everyone.

Bebpo said:
Maybe this is old but finally confirmation that MGS theme was removed from MGS4 because those douchebags thought it would be funny to embarrass Kojima and then put it on youtube that the MGS theme was plagerized.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21513

I give jett full approval to do _____ things to those guys if he feels like it.

I had seen that youtube video, but didn't know it was absent because of that. I originally assumed it was both the composer and Kojima didn't want to overdo it or risk being stale. MGS3 was outstanding because it took on its own song, further emphasizing the James Bond style. The old snake song works the same way. However, the game isn't as lighthearted so it can't be as much of a thrill when it starts playing. I originally wanted MGS4 to ham it up with the MGS theme, but after just playing it again, the game is better for its absence. In fact,
ending battle on top of outer haven only works because each of the game's main songs is allowed to die by the game that featured it

This article does get it right when it says that song is most closely associated with MGS2. I thought it was just some overdone wankery brought in with Henry Gregson-Williams' style. I, like many, more closely associated MGS1 with the encounter music and to a lesser extent the song that plays over the red on white Konami. So in the end, even though I was left wanting to hear it, I'm actually happy it didn't show up in more than a glancing reference.

S1lentTwo

Banned
SMCZ said:
Then he shouldn't have tried to tie the loose ends.

That was pretty much the entire point of the game. It's why it was made. The fans demanded answers. Kojima delivered. Now they bitch about the ones they got.

I'll say again that MGS4 is far from perfect, and I'm not satisfied with all the answers myself, but it had to carry FAR more on its shoulders than any other game in the series. I knew that going in and the game met or exceeded most of my expectations.

And I gotta say, complaining about
Rex beating Ray
makes it look like you're nitpicking. There are lots of small plot issues and stuff like this in every game in the series, so why are you picking on this one?

Catalix said:
Zero didn't seem phased by the notion of killing the Boss at all, even being the one to repeatedly pound it into Snake's head. It bugs knowing what we know now...Which sucks, 'cause I DO have a reasonably rational explanation for this apparent inconsistency too

I don't see how this is an inconsistency at all. Zero, like The Boss, put the mission above all else. Just because he never shows any emotion over The Boss when directing Snake doesn't mean that he didn't care. He was doing his job.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I love how everything in MGS2 runs at 60FPS.

Cartman86

Banned
SMZC said:
SPOILERS AHEAD

Well, the CIA obviously didn't want the truth about that to come out. I meant that Big Boss was the only person left who knew about the truth behind The Boss and that actually cared for her.

Its not explicitly stated that Zero and the others didn't know about the truth, but EVA in the graveyard scene says "no one will ever learn the truth", implying that her and Big Boss are the only persons that know about it besides the people that planned the whole thing. Also, in the cut-scenes where Snake is given the title of Big Boss, when he is about to leave he crosses paths with Para-Medic, Sigint and Zero, and ignores them. You can see in Para-Medic and Sigint's faces that they are totally clueless, and Zero seems to wonder what's going on too. I've always seen that scene as Big Boss breaking away from his past life and friends, with the player knowing that now he resents everyone in the government and that his whole life will be focused on bringing down the same organization that had The Boss killed. You could say that he would tell other people about the truth, but as I said in a previous reply of mine, the whole point of The Boss in MGS3 was that no one knew about her in MGS1 or MGS2 despite of being such a legendary soldier, which meant that Big Boss never told anyone or failed in trying so because the Philosophers/Patriots fooled everyone into believing that The Boss was a war criminal. This made the story of Big Boss even more tragic for me: He dedicated his life to fight against an organization that ruled the world because of the truth behind his old mentor's death, a truth that only he knew.
ok yeah I totally can see that. I read it as them knowing and feeling guilty and Snake walking away from them. But reading it the way you said makes sense as well. Either way Zero could have known all along (which because of MGS4 is now the case. Who knows if it was originally) or could Big Boss have told him? Told him about the bullshit that occurred? Either way it is one of those things that people do in sequels where they make connections that are a little too convenient. In the long run I didn't have a problem with it. Every Metal Gear for me has issues, but the overall package is so great they don't end up bothering me.

SMZC: You should go out and buy the official guide to mgs4. It's really a nice book. It explains everything, and as you'll see, you're wrong on so many levels.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
NinjaCodah said:
SMZC: You should go out and buy the official guide to mgs4. It's really a nice book. It explains everything, and as you'll see, you're wrong on so many levels.
i was just reading some of it and the details i never noticed are amazing. like how crying wolf picks up your scent depending on wind direction, or how naomi's breath suddenly appears after the injection, or liquids kiss. ive still barely looked at the book too

-COOLIO- said:
i was just reading some of it and the details i never noticed are amazing. like how crying wolf picks up your scent depending on wind direction, or how naomi's breath suddenly appears after the injection, or liquids kiss. ive still barely looked at the book too

This book is probably one of the best additions to a game i've ever seen. On top of being an excellent guide, it has a really good synopsis and the biographies of all the characters.

NinjaCodah said:
This book is probably one of the best additions to a game i've ever seen. On top of being an excellent guide, it has a really good synopsis and the biographies of all the characters.
Well barring the people who got it early and took the "heart of the plot" and posted it all over gamefaqs. Still it didn't hurt my enjoyment a bit and yes the book is great. Hell the database is amazing. To think they gave it away for free.

Just noticed the soldiers comment if they smell your cig smoke. Obvious, but never encountered it until today. God, I love this game.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
yay more stuff ^__^

Image029.jpg

Image028.jpg

Image030.jpg

and the insignia on the ipod is on there for reeeaaalz, it doesnt feel like a sticker or anything but like a sweet ass custom ipod

<3 konami

I'm sure glad I was personally satisfied with everything in MGS4. The only flaw I had with the game was all the loading points. Like, that's it. The story, twists, emotion, action, gameplay, graphics, ending, resolutions, and soundtrack were all 100% top-fucking-notch in my book and I don't suspect I'll play many games as good as MGS4.

-COOLIO- said:
yay more stuff ^__^

Image029.jpg

Image028.jpg

Image030.jpg

and the insignia on the ipod is on there for reeeaaalz, it doesnt feel like a sticker or anything but like a sweet ass custom ipod

<3 konami

Oh man, I tells you that better be a 16 gig nano!! Excellent work! :D

atomico

-COOLIO- said:
yay more stuff ^__^

<3 konami

that's awesome, dude. congratulations!

SMZC

NinjaCodah said:

Have you stopped to think that maybe you're the one who is wrong instead of me?

I've finished MGS4 at least 5 times watching all the cinematics, not counting gameplay-only playthroughs. I have the Big Boss rank, the bandana, stealth and all of the weapons available in single player.

I know, nobody cares about what I've done. I'm just saying that I doubt MGS4 has anymore secrets left for me, and that story-wise I've gotten to the point where I've memorized many of the dialogues.

If you think I'm wrong about the story don't just tell me "you're wrong". Tell me why.

SMZC said:
Have you stopped to think that maybe you're the one who is wrong instead of me?

I've finished MGS4 at least 5 times watching all the cinematics, not counting gameplay-only playthroughs. I have the Big Boss rank, the bandana, stealth and all of the weapons available in single player.

I know, nobody cares about what I've done. I'm just saying that I doubt MGS4 has anymore secrets left for me, and that story-wise I've gotten to the point where I've memorized many of the dialogues.

If you think I'm wrong about the story don't just tell me "you're wrong". Tell me why.
oh, a pissing contest.
But guess what, I also played it through 5 times, got the big boss emblem, all the goodies, etc...

I don't need to write a mega-post about why you're wrong here. My personal interpretation of the story was very close to the one from the official guide book. Just find it and read it, it's worth it. I'm not saying that everything in the MGS series is perfect, but to say that "they pissed all over the previous games with mgs4" is pushing it, a lot.

e-penis waving

So once trophies are released will only those wiho've platinum'd it get to take part in discussion?

I kid, I kid. I will admit I have barely any emblems. I made sure to get the stealth camo but I never even bothered to get the Altair costume. I'm too fond of playing the game to turn into a grind and I can't bring myself to rush through the game.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
NinjaCodah said:
oh, a pissing contest.
But guess what, I also played it through 5 times, got the big boss emblem, all the goodies, etc...

I don't need to write a mega-post about why you're wrong here. My personal interpretation of the story was very close to the one from the official guide book. Just find it and read it, it's worth it. I'm not saying that everything in the MGS series is perfect, but to say that "they pissed all over the previous games with mgs4" is pushing it, a lot.
If you refuted the stuff he said with points of your own it would be much more constructive to the discussion than simply saying "you're wrong, read that book". If you can base it on official documents, even better.

NeoUltima

So they actually put up a new intergral podcast today... Just downloaded going to check it out, I assume Ryan won't be in it since he left for Bungie.

Roxas

NeoUltima said:
So they actually put up a new intergral podcast today... Just downloaded going to check it out, I assume Ryan won't be in it since he left for Bungie.

Anything interesting in it? :\

NeoUltima said:
Colour me surprised, and happy. Although no Ryan kinda sucks but I'll still gladly listen.

Edit: On Gamefaqs someone mentioned this:
its just stating that they are gonna start doing them bi-weekly and to have a save ready at the start of the advent palace area. for Jan 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom