• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

S1lentTwo

Banned
It's a Christmas tree in the nomad :D

DuckRacer said:
Big Boss had a gun in his hands (the "Patriot"/sawed off M16); he likely saw Snake putting the gun in his mouth and commit suicide, and he fired his own gun to surprise and stop him.

No, that's not what happened.
Watch the scene after the credits...Snake doesn't realize that Big Boss is there until after he begins speaking to him. I don't think there's a logical explanation for the gunshot sound, it was just to convince the player into thinking Snake had truly just offed himself. If you really have to rationalize it then I guess you could say Snake pulled the gun out of his mouth at the last moment as he fired it.

Darkpen

Banned
Wow, I jumped into MGS4 and loaded up a save to see the christmas tree, but first I checked out extras, and holy crap have they been busy uploading all sorts of stuff since the last time I checked. Definitely looking forward to next month's in-game podcast.

S1lentTwo

Banned
Darkpen said:
Wow, I jumped into MGS4 and loaded up a save to see the christmas tree, but first I checked out extras, and holy crap have they been busy uploading all sorts of stuff since the last time I checked. Definitely looking forward to next month's in-game podcast.

Haha, I did the same thing and had the same thought. Lots of new songs and shit...nice to see that they are supporting the game after launch. The Christmas song is very good.

Got this game for Christmas finally. I'm up to Act III now. (I'm a little concerned that I'm blowing through it too quickly, but I just can't stop myself.)

So many times throughout playing this game, I've just had my jaw drop. Seeing Big Boss' mangled body, Snake meeting his surrogate mother, Big Boss finally being put to a proper death...wow. That's some heavy shit.

I'm a little confused about several key plot points right now, but I'm pretty used to being confused while playing Metal Gear at this point. :lol If you want to help me out, I'd appreciate it, but try to keep it spoiler free up to the end of Act III.
I don't understand why Liquid Ocelot wanted Big Boss' remains, I don't understand what his ultimate goals are, I don't understand how or why Zero from MGS3 formed the Patriots (up till now, I had thought that the Patriots was founded by the descendants of the Philosophers). I also don't know who the original members of the Patriots were, and how Big Boss got mixed up with the Patriots before he created the first Outer Heaven. Lastly, I don't understand how the Patriots are responsible for the PMCs and the War Economy.

Please answer these questions, they're really eating me up!

jett

D-Member
autobzooty said:
Got this game for Christmas finally. I'm up to Act III now. (I'm a little concerned that I'm blowing through it too quickly, but I just can't stop myself.)

So many times throughout playing this game, I've just had my jaw drop. Seeing Big Boss' mangled body, Snake meeting his surrogate mother, Big Boss finally being put to a proper death...wow. That's some heavy shit.

I'm a little confused about several key plot points right now, but I'm pretty used to being confused while playing Metal Gear at this point. :lol If you want to help me out, I'd appreciate it, but try to keep it spoiler free up to the end of Act III.
I don't understand why Liquid Ocelot wanted Big Boss' remains, I don't understand what his ultimate goals are, I don't understand how or why Zero from MGS3 formed the Patriots (up till now, I had thought that the Patriots was founded by the descendants of the Philosophers). I also don't know who the original members of the Patriots were, and how Big Boss got mixed up with the Patriots before he created the first Outer Heaven. Lastly, I don't understand how the Patriots are responsible for the PMCs and the War Economy.

Please answer these questions, they're really eating me up!

Keep playing the game for the answers. :p

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
autobzooty said:
:lol

But it's stuff I feel like they explained to me already, but I just didn't understand! Ah well. Maybe I'll just find a plot summary after I beat it. :p
Nah, literally everything you asked will be explained later on =)

And at least MGS4 got the GAF GOTY award. Which is way mroe than I expected :D

jett said:
Keep playing the interactive movie for the answers. :p

I bought it for christmas too and it had a good start with nice bits of gameplay. I think it was the end of act three when the cutscenes began to be very long. Long cutscene->mission briefing->long cutscene-.fragment of gameplay->long cutscene.

Luckily a lot is explained in the cutscenes, so my inner MGS-fan was pleased. After a while the melodrama became a bit too much though, and I was wishing for some action....which only came after a few extra pages of unnecessary script. I managed to finish the game yesterday at about 3.30am. I knew I would be treated to an meaty end sequence, but I never honestly thought it would drag on for an hour(it felt like an hour). In the end I just wished
Bigg Boss would die
already but the fucker kept managing to get air past his vocal cords and spit out stuff I didn't care about anymore. Again, the ending was informative but it dragged on like the epilogue of RotK(bail out, I know).

I had a blast with this it, especially when returning to
Shadow Moses and being able to finally hop into my beloved REX
but I find it difficult to call it a game.

And the boss fights sucked btw. Too easy up until the end. I had a harder time handling those geckos.

Finally got around to playing this. Enjoyed it, but there's not enough game to go with all the cutscenes. Still... I found the story pretty watchable overall even if I did tune out when it got a bit philosophical.

Few questions: How do I take photos? I got awarded some statuses at the end... do they do anything? Do I get something for unlocking a few? Are there any good unlocks for replaying on harder difficulties (not interested in MGO stuff)? What about a no kill run, worth doing? Do I have to make sure I don't kill anything in the vehicle sections too? Are there any hidden endings / cutscenes?

Thanks muchly.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Psychotext said:
Finally got around to playing this. Enjoyed it, but there's not enough game to go with all the cutscenes. Still... I found the story pretty watchable overall even if I did tune out when it got a bit philosophical.

Few questions: How do I take photos? I got awarded some statuses at the end... do they do anything? Do I get something for unlocking a few? Are there any good unlocks for replaying on harder difficulties (not interested in MGO stuff)? What about a no kill run, worth doing? Do I have to make sure I don't kill anything in the vehicle sections too? Are there any hidden endings / cutscenes?

Thanks muchly.
No kill + no detection run is absolutely NECESSARY! :D Makes the gameplay that much better, don't cheap out and use the MK everytime though. You have to find the camera to take pics.
It's one of the briefings with MKII. I think the third one.

Darackutny

Dyno said:
I don't think any of your 'interperetations' excuses how many red herrings we the player are fed and how many false truths we're told throughout the chapters in order to justify the story. I think the answer is far more simple than your take: a litany of horrible dooms is piled on our hero in order to ratchet up the tension and melodrama as much as possible. As soon as those plot devices become inconvenient they melt away without reasonble explanation. It is the most clumsy of literary tricks and they abound throughout the game.

With Kojima what was obvious was that he was primarily concerned with 'the scene' and how the story got the characters to that scene was of no real importance. So long as the scene was made any lies and bullshit would suffice to set it up.

Wow. You've summed up my feelings about the game so well. Personally, I liked the storyline of MGS2 more because of all the loose ends and unexplained events. I didn't mind the "magic". In MGS4,
everything was rationalized by putting it under the label of 'nanomachine'.
That killed it for me.

The only time the whole nanomachines thing ever really worked for me was with Fortune.

MNC

Ugh, just ordered the game online. But since it's the holidays the company is gonna take till after newyearseve :(

Darackutny said:
Wow. You've summed up my feelings about the game so well. Personally, I liked the storyline of MGS2 more because of all the loose ends and unexplained events. I didn't mind the "magic". In MGS4,
everything was rationalized by putting it under the label of 'nanomachine'.
That killed it for me.

The only time the whole nanomachines thing ever really worked for me was with Fortune.

So in short, he pulled a George Lucas;)

Teetris said:
No kill + no detection run is absolutely NECESSARY!
So how does that affect the vehicle sections... especially
where you're on the bike and when you're in the metal gear
. Do you just ride it out and not bother attacking or are you allowed to attack in those sections?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Darackutny said:
And even that wasn't about nanomachines ;P

Man I'll just never understand all the "its only a movie" and "not enough game" because while there is most certainly a heavy amount of cutscenes, I know I've put way more time into playing MGS than watching, and when I am playing, the gameplay is always fantastic, fun, and for the most part extremely polished. For all the stuff I hear about how MGS is more a movie than a game and how there's barely any gameplay, I sure as hell seem to get way more gameplay out of them than some people let on.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Psychotext said:
So how does that affect the vehicle sections... especially
where you're on the bike and when you're in the metal gear
. Do you just ride it out and not bother attacking or are you allowed to attack in those sections?
Tranquilizer gun and stun grenades. You're definately not allowed to kill any human, shooting is fine as long as you don't kill. Killing geckos is fine. If you want detailed explanations (which are recommended) check out the Big Boss Emblem walkthrough on gamefaqs. Playing through the game is going to be a real bitch and you might give up after the first act knowing what's ahead but just keep on going, you'll get the hang of everything soon enough.

My best advice: Never overwrite saves

brandonh83 said:
Man I'll just never understand all the "its only a movie" and "not enough game" because while there is most certainly a heavy amount of cutscenes, I know I've put way more time into playing MGS than watching, and when I am playing, the gameplay is always fantastic, fun, and for the most part extremely polished. For all the stuff I hear about how MGS is more a movie than a game and how there's barely any gameplay, I sure as hell seem to get way more gameplay out of them than some people let on.
The game is detailed unlike any other game this generation. People don't use that feature, they just play the game once or twice and never really explore. The movie "argument" falls flat on it's face because anyone who's played an MGS know you can approach situations in dozens of ways.

Teetris said:
The game is detailed unlike any other game this generation. People don't use that feature, they just play the game once or twice and never really explore. The movie "argument" falls flat on it's face because anyone who's played an MGS know you can approach situations in dozens of ways.

Yeah, and if you actually play the game through what I consider the "correct" way, as in, not running and gunning all the time and actually exploring like you said and toying around with your inventory and such... I mean, yeah. There's so many things to do, so many things to experiment with and so many ways to go about passing through each area. And when you play on harder difficulties and try to go for higher ranks and take your time while carefully avoiding enemies... it's thrilling, and there's a lot to get out of it.

So yeah. I think the movie argument is considerably stupid. Just because there's more storytelling and cutscenes than most other games, it's still clearly a videogame and honestly it has more and better gameplay than any game I've personally played this year.

Drac

So, yesterday I did a metal gear solid the twin snakes run for the hell of it, finished it in like 6-7h with effective gameplay time of... 2h? at best and it wasn't even a speed run. Seriously people who enjoy the first can't complain about the 4th, there is much more play value (4h a least :p ). So fuck off with your "it's a movie, you don't play", either you like mgs saga or you don't.

Damn, did this make me want to play a hd remake with gun of the patriot engine, the camera was crap :lol The sniper show down was a joke too, crying wolf is much better, but the End was the best.

YoungHav

Banned
Everytime this thread gets bumped, my heart beats in anticipation of a trophy patch being announced. I'm left crying each and every time.

YoungHav said:
Everytime this thread gets bumped, my heart beats in anticipation of a trophy patch being announced. I'm left crying each and every time.

We'll be waiting until Metal Gear Solid 4- Subordination for that, hell of a selling point

YoungHav said:
I held off on playing it on The Boss Extreme waiting on some kind of trophy update.. I already did a no kill/no alert runthrough on Big Boss Hard. Now it's been so long I kinda don't care anymore.

revolverjgw said:
We'll be waiting until Metal Gear Solid 4- Subordination for that, hell of a selling point

an updated MGS4 release with trophies, new MGO map packs and such, and maybe some additions to the main game along with other treats would be pretty awesome. I wonder if they could ever get rid of my one and only complaint about MGS4 - the numerous amounts of loading screens - in some sort of future update/release.

YoungHav

Banned
Doesn't Sir Ryan the Patton post here? Can't he give Kojima a "what's up?" call for New Years and quickly sneak in a PS3 trophies question? I'd by two copies of Patton's next game if he does this for GAF. My fanboy soul needs to be laid to rest on this issue.

kuYuri

For once, I hope KojiPro doesn't rerelease MGS4 and just patch the new stuff in.

Who am I kidding, of course they will rerelease it rather than patch. And I'll buy it too. D:

YoungHav said:
Doesn't Sir Ryan the Patton post here? Can't he give Kojima a "what's up?" call for New Years and quickly sneak in a PS3 trophies question? I'd by two copies of Patton's next game if he does this for GAF. My fanboy soul needs to be laid to rest on this issue.

Ryan Payton left KojiPro months ago.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
We'll get the MGS4-subsomething and a normal MGS4 trophy patch at the same time. If they rely on trophy support for a new version of MGS4 to sell, they will be very disappointed.

I'd love to have a VR mode in MGS4, and a couple of mini stories, maybe with BB as main character. Wouldn't that be nice?

Darkpen

Banned
StarEye said:
We'll get the MGS4-subsomething and a normal MGS4 trophy patch at the same time. If they rely on trophy support for a new version of MGS4 to sell, they will be very disappointed.

I'd love to have a VR mode in MGS4, and a couple of mini stories, maybe with BB as main character. Wouldn't that be nice?
while not necessarily related, what I want to know is where the hell is the trophy patch for DMC4?

Also, it wouldn't make sense for there to be a VR mode in MGS4, though something outside of the gun practice place would be nice.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
StarEye said:

So what's the word on this anyway? Anything confirmed? I've been out of the MGS-loop for a while.

kuYuri

Darkpen said:
while not necessarily related, what I want to know is where the hell is the trophy patch for DMC4?

Also, it wouldn't make sense for there to be a VR mode in MGS4, though something outside of the gun practice place would be nice.

Capcom has already said they won't patch DMC4 since it already contains an in-game achievement system (accomplishments in this case).

Sword Familiar said:
So what's the word on this anyway? Anything confirmed? I've been out of the MGS-loop for a while.

On a MGS4 rerelease? Nothing confirmed, but if history is any indication, there's a good chance it will happen.

Darkpen

Banned
Strider2K99 said:
Capcom has already said they won't patch DMC4 since it already contains an in-game achievement system (accomplishments in this case).
god dammit, capcom. That didn't stop Naughty Dog from patching Uncharted, now did it? :mad:

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Darkpen said:

With nanomachines, anything is possible. And it's a game, the main story/game is canon, the rest doesn't need to be.

Darkpen

Banned
StarEye said:
With nanomachines, anything is possible. And it's a game, the main story/game is canon, the rest doesn't need to be.
Regardless, I still feel like it wouldn't make sense. It was a lost opportunity in Twin Snakes, and not having an extra mode is yet again another lost opportunity, but the main game makes up for it all, anyways.

Darkpen said:
well, he did praise the guy some time before MGS4's release, and really, the analogy there has already been said.

Could be. I've only started reading the last couple of pages after I finished the game. I was kind of unspoiled by this topic and all the footage of the game floating around. Call it unbiased if you will.

aku08

polyh3dron said:
I held off on playing it on The Boss Extreme waiting on some kind of trophy update.. I already did a no kill/no alert runthrough on Big Boss Hard. Now it's been so long I kinda don't care anymore.

yeah, im pretty much on the same boat. no kill no alert on bigboss hard and waiting on the trophies for extreme.

man, i still get nightmares remembering how hard that
bike sequence
was with no kill. not looking forward to doing that one again in boss extreme. brrrr.

What happened to the update that was supposed to coincide 6 months after the release date? Wasn't there a rumor something was going to be released around december? i guess that was all filthy lies!

Got this game yesterday, and so far I'm up to Act II.

Question about non-lethalling
Laughing Octopus, is there a good way to do this it? At the moment I'm using Stun Grenades and the Mosin-Nagant, which is working, slowly. Also using the Mosin I can head shot her out of most of her camouflages, but no matter what I do I can't get her when she disguises herself as a cardboard box, I've tried shooting the visible arms, where I think the head is, all over the box itself, stun grenades, nothing works?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Die Squirrel Die said:

Laughing Octopus, is there a good way to do this it? At the moment I'm using Stun Grenades and the Mosin-Nagant, which is working, slowly. Also using the Mosin I can head shot her out of most of her camouflages, but no matter what I do I can't get her when she disguises herself as a cardboard box, I've tried shooting the visible arms, where I think the head is, all over the box itself, stun grenades, nothing works?
Have you tried non-lethal shotgun rounds?

Die Squirrel Die said:

Non-leathal ammo, double barreled shotgun. 'nuff said.

Ozorov

I picked up a PS3 today and MGS4. Wow. Incredible good game i have to say. The only thing that is kinda hard to understand is the story, since i never have played a MGS-game before :lol. Go Kojima!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ozorov said:
I picked up a PS3 today and MGS4. Wow. Incredible good game i have to say. The only thing that is kinda hard to understand is the story, since i never have played a MGS-game before :lol. Go Kojima!
Wow :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom