• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

European city setting plus the classic trenchcoat and overall spy feeling in the first part make Act 3 the best one in the game, imo.

The shitty and overly long exposition cutscenes are in every Act, so you can't hold that against 3.

SonComet

I enjoyed all the acts including act 3 :D. I have to say it was much more fun the second time I played through the game. The first time I played through it I think my downfall was shooting the helicopter with my rpg the second I saw it (cause that's what all helicopters deserve in the game). The ensuing gun fight resulted in me having to start following a new person because I thought I was gonna shoot him in the head with my tranq gun. But uhhhh oops. Which made the act really drag. My fault though.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
YuriLowell said:
Does anyone know where I can find a gif of Raiden when his helmet moves away from his face?
raiden_mask.gif

Would give credit, don't remember who made it though.

I played and beat it. Found it good in story but VERY WEAK in gameplay. Kojima's ambition and tech really toned the core game down. It was hardly Metal Gear Solid anymore but more like sneaking and shooting. I mean yeah you can do the same things that you could do in the previous ones but it just wasn't fun and the level and game design just wasn't there. Great game but find MGS3S and MGS2 far superior.

StarEye said:
With nanomachines, anything is possible. And it's a game, the main story/game is canon, the rest doesn't need to be.

Yeah but some of the stuff that the nanomachines did were pretty unrealistic. I mean I could understand some of the injuries Vamp had but getting shot in the head, then dieing, then coming back to life with everything fine and intact (memory, motor skills, knowledge, etc.) is definately stretching it. Especially with Raiden just suffering from sever cuts and almost dieing (for good).

I understand stuff like Screaming Mantis being able to move peoples bodys or being able to control peoples emotions. But some of the stuff Vamp did is just well impossible.

But like you said it's just a game. I mean this is a series that had people controlling bees that we're talking about. :lol

Prine

Banned
Bearillusion said:
Just played through the first two acts on my second playthrough but this time on Big Boss Hard. Had a great time and it was fun having all my weapons from my previous game.

Now I'm on to Act 3. This level is so boring. So very very boring. Not only that the graphics in this level look terrible. Does anyone like this level?

The game is 10/10 on every act apart from act 3. I hated it. The graphics and execution of tracking was so poor. It was far better in the previous act when you have to track that special someone.

I just beat it for the second time and loved it,
Big Boss is such a G. His presence made the ending that more emotional

I dont think there is a more complete game then MGS4. Im so overly satisfied with the story that i dont have a single complaint.

I dont know where they can take this for MGS5 but im happy they are continuing it.

patsu

Bearillusion said:
I haven't finished it before. I'm just playing it again on my Big Boss Hard run. I just don't get it I guess. Perhaps if someone could go into greater detail about why they like it maybe it will click with me.

Well, if you have played the game and didn't like Act 3, there's nothing else to say ^_^

Prine

Banned
Google said:
You are aware of the term film noir, correct?

Im not sure Kojima does if that was his interpretation of it. Considering all the locations were beautifully crafted act 3 was such a let down. BUT i dont want to focus on this as the game is one of the best games i've played this gen. Im putting it down to time and maybe the Czech Republic wasnt the best place to base their research on

Man, just listening to these year end shows talk about 2008 GOTY, MGS 4 obviously did something right. You've got lots of people like me who are MGS junkies who loved the game but the interesting thing are the people who disliked the series but loved 4. The last couple of podcasts I've listened too, Giant Bomb and the Hotspot both had people who really hated the series but just loved the game.

And then just looking at fan reviews all over the place, it's consistenly being rated the highest. It led the IGN poll, it's rating on Gamefaqs is one of the highest ever, won NeoGAF GOTY. Just a truly outstanding game that appealed to a lot of different people.

autobzooty said:
Okay, I just finished the game and
am I the only one who thinks that the game would have been waaaay better if they just left out that last scene with Big Boss and Snake? Snake killing himself was going to be the perfect ending to the perfect story. It was SUPPOSED to be fucked up. Yeah, it's totally unfair that Snake has to die, but he HAS to die. It was sad. I almost cried when Otacon said "Snake had a hard life."
Totally agree with you.
It's one of the cheapest cop-outs I've seen in recent memory, and it's an awful retcon. Most of the plot loop-de-loops introduced in that scene don't even make sense, and the whole purpose of it is to undermine everything the game was setting up.

The game cultivated a sense of foreboding throughout. We knew Snake was going to die. And then at the end, we saw the wedding, with life going on and Sunny finally coming out of her shell, and the promise for the future was that much more touching set against Snake's death.

I just can't take that last scene seriously. It's almost like Kojima was making fun of his own tendency to resolve impossible situations via the craziest plot gymnastics. And if not that, then it feels like he just couldn't let the game end as he originally planned, and he had to pull that last punch, no matter what it took. As far as I'm concerned, Snake died when he pulled the trigger and he saw Big Boss when he died. :p

SamuraiX- said:
And so continues the absolute fail of gaming media. GTA IV with 10 GOTY awards? Over Fallout 3? Over Fable II? Over MGS4? Please, just GTFO. I loved GTA IV for what it was, but it in no way is deserving of so many GOTY awards, let alone the ridiculous number of perfect scores it received.

Well, PGOTY (Popular Game Of The Year) is not GOTY. Resembles the rest of the world's art and entertainment.

acevans2

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Dammit!! I saw this threat come back and I thought "Trophy update"!! no such luck
Is there a confirmed trophy patch coming? Man I don't wanna have to do No Alerts/No Kills again, but I also really want trophies for the game.

ARRRGHHHH, what the fuck is this shitacular end fight Kojima
prick
??

I get to the
MGS3
form and then he can grab me with no problem and any time I try do anything he just grabs me for CQC. I am so fucking angry for this turd of a boss.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Darkpen

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
ARRRGHHHH, what the fuck is this shitacular end fight Kojima
prick
??

I get to the
MGS3
form and then he can grab me with no problem and any time I try do anything he just grabs me for CQC. I am so fucking angry for this turd of a boss.
:lol

Just try harder. Its a bitch, we all know, but in a way, as Shawn Elliot put it, its Kojima giving his last "oldschool videogames are hard" gameplay segment, or something along those lines.

Oh thank god for that, I finally beat it
bastarding bastard, it's a good thing I don't live in Tokyo, or there'd be a hit and run outside Kojipro HQ
. Now for what I hope will be the mother of all endings. Maybe I should eat something first, I might need the stamina to keep up.

MNC

Sweet, just finished off
Laughing Octopus. I loved it, and god damn the cutscenes remind me the graphics are great. And I just love these freaky enemies in MGS :D IMO It's one of the strong points of MGS.

Edit: Finished Act 2. God damn. Any way to rewatch cutscenes in game? Like a theatre mode? Edit Edit: Also, if I want to replay a previous act, does it need to reinstall that act or something? Saw some whining about Act installing and it gave me some wondering.

Google

Die Squirrel Die said:
Oh thank god for that, I finally beat it
bastarding bastard, it's a good thing I don't live in Tokyo, or there'd be a hit and run outside Kojipro HQ
. Now for what I hope will be the mother of all endings. Maybe I should eat something first, I might need the stamina to keep up.

When I tell you this, I'm not being ironic or sentimental.

That last gameplay segment was my favourite of the entire game.

It looks absolutely stunning, and while it's not exactly what I want to spend the whole game doing, it made me so fucking happy.

Google

alterno69 said:
I loved that part too and i don't think it was hard at all.

The bit before, where everything gets a little warm, was so underwhelming.

Perhaps because it had been spoiled for me by countless podcasts/internet discussions, but still, tapping the button through that, and playing the final segment - the final segment wins out as the greatest ending to that game.

You can counter Ocelot's CQC grabs by simply performing your own.

I loved the fight. It's a fantastic twist on a multi-phase boss battle. I don't understand any difficulty complaints though. It's a bitch on extreme but isn't that the point.

Darkpen

Banned
I checked out the podcast last night. Pretty interesting to see a bandanna on the stick figure's head. I don't remember if someone pointed that out or not, before, though for some reason, it feels like someone did.

All the boss fights pretty much suck. Beat Crying Wolf last night on Big Boss Hard by doing nothing but
laying down under the truck with my sniper rifle.
I was really looking forward to that fight (this is my second play through btw) as I was hoping for something like The End fight in MGS3.

I have a real love hate relationship with this game. Act 1 and 2 are really good. Act 3 isn't as good but still very nice. Act 3 sucks. Sucks. Act 5 doesn't really allow you to do much at all which is a disappointing way to finish. If each level improved on the last the game would have been fantastic.

Darkpen said:
I checked out the podcast last night. Pretty interesting to see a bandanna on the stick figure's head. I don't remember if someone pointed that out or not, before, though for some reason, it feels like someone did.
Can you give us a summery? Who was on it? Did they mention anything new coming to the game?
Trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies

MNC

Bearillusion said:
I have a real love hate relationship with this game. Act 1 and 2 are really good. Act 3 isn't as good but still very nice. Act 3 sucks. Sucks. Act 5 doesn't really allow you to do much at all which is a disappointing way to finish. If each level improved on the last the game would have been fantastic.

Woah, I can tell.

Bearillusion said:
All the boss fights pretty much suck. Beat Crying Wolf last night on Big Boss Hard by doing nothing but
laying down under the truck with my sniper rifle.
I was really looking forward to that fight (this is my second play through btw) as I was hoping for something like The End fight in MGS3.

Hah, that's what I did on my initial play through on hard. I was fully expecting her to ram the truck over or something, but after a while I finally realized that that would not be the case. :lol

Google

Leshita said:
Hah, that's what I did on my initial play through on hard. I was fully expecting her to ram the truck over or something, but after a while I finally realized that that would not be the case. :lol

Can I ask; if you find out it too disappointing to hide under a truck, and snipe, why didn't you just self moderate, and play the way Kojima would have wanted you to?

It's obviously a 'loophole' within the game, so just don't exploit it?

Google said:
Can I ask; if you find out it too disappointing to hide under a truck, and snipe, why didn't you just self moderate, and play the way Kojima would have wanted you to?

It's obviously a 'loophole' within the game, so just don't exploit it?

Hah, I thought the boss fights would be open ended enough to warrant multiple strategies. I'm pretty sure the team knew about that though given the attention to detail they are known for, perhaps they just let it go to satisfy those too pussy to fight the thing like a man... like me. ;p

Next time I'll do it, though that probably won't be until they release a trophy patch and/or the Substance rendition of the game.

MNC said:
Woah, I can tell.

:lol Sorry I meant to say that Act 4 is still very nice.

I didn't feel that it was an exploit hiding under the truck. Wolf should have alerted the troops to flush me out or I don't know maybe used the railgun on the truck.

TTP said:
Opinions I guess. Act 3 was probably the best for me. Act 4 was simply amazing as u couldn't rely on tranqs and stuff to sneak through undetected like u can easy do in the other acts. Also depends on how u approach them I suppose.

I'd like to hear what it is about Act 3 that you love. I just don't see it but I really want to. I enjoyed it more the second time on Big Boss Hard but not enough for me to like the level. I just really want to see in it what those that like it do.

It was kinda creepy seeing that little robot thingy poking its head around the corner a few times. :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Bearillusion said:
I'd like to hear what it is about Act 3 that you love. I just don't see it but I really want to. I enjoyed it more the second time on Big Boss Hard but not enough for me to like the level. I just really want to see in it what those that like it do.

It was kinda creepy seeing that little robot thingy poking its head around the corner a few times. :lol
Well you know :
Act 3 final cutscene is the best cutscene i ever saw,even better than any action movie.
Patrick Zimmerman gave us the best voice acting ever witnessed in a game.
I FREAKING LOVE THAT SCENE !!!!! :mad:

Fersis said:
Well you know :
Act 3 final cutscene is the best cutscene i ever saw,even better than any action movie.
Patrick Zimmerman gave us the best voice acting ever witnessed in a game.
I FREAKING LOVE THAT SCENE !!!!! :mad:

A cutscene a good level does not make.

Bearillusion said:

The pacing is what I enjoyed the most from the act.
The very "noir" sort of trailing someone somewhat covertly, ducking from patrols, the ambient sound....All gave it a very WW2 spy film feel to it. Then the way way the game ramps up to the chase, and then the single most epic chase eva, followed by the OMGWTF plot scene made it rollercoaster ride moreso than the other acts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom