• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKS

Bearillusion said:
All the boss fights pretty much suck. Beat Crying Wolf last night on Big Boss Hard by doing nothing but
laying down under the truck with my sniper rifle.
I was really looking forward to that fight (this is my second play through btw) as I was hoping for something like The End fight in MGS3.

I have a real love hate relationship with this game. Act 1 and 2 are really good. Act 3 isn't as good but still very nice. Act 3 sucks. Sucks. Act 5 doesn't really allow you to do much at all which is a disappointing way to finish. If each level improved on the last the game would have been fantastic.

Try beating Crying Wolf with no kills or alerts on The Boss Extreme while under a time constraint like I did to get the Big Boss Emblem. And try fighting Wolf without using that cheap tactic.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Bearillusion said:
A cutscene a good level does not make.
Im 100% with you.
But since is the best action scene ever conceived... im cool.
bania.jpg

The best action scene Jerry .. the Best! :lol

Darkpen

Banned
AKS said:
Try beating Crying Wolf with no kills or alerts on The Boss Extreme while under a time constraint like I did to get the Big Boss Emblem. And try fighting Wolf without using that cheap tactic.
What's funny is that with all of these pussies using the truck, I've never used it once, and I also have the Big Boss Emblem :p

Blu_LED said:
Can you give us a summery? Who was on it? Did they mention anything new coming to the game?
Trophies trophies trophies trophies trophies
Jesus christ, NO. Augh, you convey your voice too well through text.

Just listen to it yourself. The entire point of the podcasts is to be a sort of developer audio commentary that guides you around.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I find it funny when people say they didn't like the Crying Wolf battle and then go on to say "well, yeah, I exploited the truck, I didn't go around the environment and experiment with all the really awesome different ways of tackling it". It's a shame, that boss is amazing.

Oh and I liked Act 3. Hooray for being in the minority, for once?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
LiquidMetal14 said:
Trophy patch?!?!?!?!?!??! Where art though!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?
Hi, I'm the trophy patch. I'm hiding in MGS4: Substancixisiton. Look forward to me Q3 '09!

Rez>You said:
Yeah I find it funny when people say they didn't like the Crying Wolf battle and then go on to say "well, yeah, I exploited the truck, I didn't go around the environment and experiment with all the really awesome different ways of tackling it". It's a shame, that boss is amazing.

Oh and I liked Act 3. Hooray for being in the minority, for once?

Firstly, Act3 is indeed awesome. We may be a minority, but let's be a vocal one.

I was just talking to my mate about the Wolf fight, telling him about the effect wind has on the battle. He was flabbergasted. I still don't like it as much as the End but I don't think that saying the Crying Wolf battle isn't as good as one of the best boss battles in the history of video games isn't much of a criticism.

7 months later, and I'm still playing MGS4. It's a combination of needing all the rankings in 8 completed playthroughs, and the new in-game podcasts finally coming along. Goddamn it.

And I know I'll do it all over again once they rerelease the game in a new version with new additional content.

Aon

Act3 was awesome for it's amazing atmosphere and potent symbolism. Although Wolf never could measure up to the end. Certainly an improvement over the original wold fight, though.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Darkpen said:
What's funny is that with all of these pussies using the truck, I've never used it once, and I also have the Big Boss Emblem :p

Jesus christ, NO. Augh, you convey your voice too well through text.

Just listen to it yourself. The entire point of the podcasts is to be a sort of developer audio commentary that guides you around.

Started out under the truck but she could still hit me, nearly killed me twice. Then she just moved to another part of the area where i couldn't get at so i had to move to. It was a fun fight, one of the better ones.

YoungHav

Banned
can ONE, just ONE game "journalist" who asked Kojima the following over 23974x "uhh... der... uhhh... der... is this coming to the 360?" ask him at least fucking ONCE about a trophy patch?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
^ was just about to post that :lol

YoungHav

Banned
:lol That wombat Kojima's answer doesn't help? I'm going to write a Dark Knight script where the Joker keeps terrorizing Gotham until Hideo Kojima releases a trophy patch.

MNC

Act 3:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK EEEEEEPIIIIIIIIC. The stalking was something different, but it got tedious after too many maps. The bike chase was so fucking awesome. Then the raven fight, which was nice like the laughing octopus one, though I felt that Octopus was more fleshed out(no pun intended for sexy body lulz) With the whole cloaking once in a while and more different special attacks. Then there was te final cutscene which was just awesome.
And I just hit Act 4:
This is just a fucking nostalgia trip. I'm loving every second of it!

Cartman86

Banned
Gamefaqs GOTY FINAL Poll today

Metal Gear Solid 4
vs.
Super Smash Bros Brawl

MGS has an uphill battle with what seems like a large amount of hardcore Nintendo fans on Gamefaqs.

I wonder if any of you would like to take the time to explain what it is about MGS4 that you love? I'm talking strictly gameplay and not production values or whatever. Do you feel there is a best way to play and if so what is it?

Thanks.

Bearillusion said:
I wonder if any of you would like to take the time to explain what it is about MGS4 that you love? I'm talking strictly gameplay and not production values or whatever. Do you feel there is a best way to play and if so what is it?

Thanks.

Metal Gear games were always about the overall experience though. Not strictly gameplay.
(I think most people would agree the controls are somewhat wonky most of the time)

Its also why its hard for other devs to "outdo" Metal Gear just by making a stealthy game or gun game.

Truthfully, Metal Gear Games really do have wonky mechanics. MGS3 forcing you to play around with camouflage was very odd but it somehow worked.

Bearillusion said:
That's what you love about MGS4? Odd reply. :D

Hmm....
The overall experience of MGS4 is fantastic. Its hard to quantify each component.

The mechanics and gameplay, though not perfect, are entertaining enough to support the immersion into the storyline. The storyline, though sometimes crazy, is interesting and compelling enough where you want to get to the next section to see what happens.

Once you are immersed into the storyline... you are hooked into seeing what happens next.
You are constantly surprised by what is going on around you and what will happen.

By the time you reach the end of MGS4 things are primed for a climactic ending.

Basically you should simply enjoy the thrilling ride.

UntoldDreams said:
Hmm....
The overall experience of MGS4 is fantastic. Its hard to quantify each component.

The mechanics and gameplay, though not perfect, are entertaining enough to support the immersion into the storyline. The storyline, though sometimes crazy, is interesting and compelling enough where you want to get to the next section to see what happens.

Once you are immersed into the storyline... you are hooked into seeing what happens next.
You are constantly surprised by what is going on around you and what will happen.

By the time you reach the end of MGS4 things are primed for a climactic ending.

Basically you should simply enjoy the thrilling ride.

Totally agree. It sort of feels like you're not just playing a game. It's an experience. Most people say this based soley on the gameplay/cutscene ratio, but I believe it's more than that. Even when you're physically playing, it's still a thrilling ride. Hope these comments help in some way, bearillusion. Where you going with it anyway (I've been banned for a month... maybe I should check some pages back and find out...)?

I completed it on normal a couple of months ago but started a Big Boss run last week. I'm currently up to Screaming Mantis. More fun the second time when you have access to your weapons from the first time.

I'm just interested to hear how other people approach the game. Particularly those that have completed it many times. For example someone might suggest that the only way to play it is with no alerts and on Extreme and why.

Just FYI, if anyone cares, in a recent interview, David Jaffe was asked which game he was most jealous of. His reply?

"Metal Gear Solid 4. An amazing achievement of both gameplay and mastering the process of game production. To make a game of that scale and at that level of quality clearly took a whole hell of a lot of tenacity and vision."

P.S. Its my GOTF, so any praise it gets makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :lol

Phatcorns

Whoa, so I'm playing for the first time since October and there are new podcasts finally! I miss Ryan though.

By the way, anyone know where I can find a complete list of all the songs available and also anywhere where I can download the Other Side tracks? The christmas one is pretty awesome.

KTallguy

Banned
Picked up my Big Boss difficulty save again and finally made it past Act 3 (but had to kill people during the bike chase, toooo hard otherwise).

Act 4 on Big Boss is sooo much harder.

aku08

KTallguy said:
Picked up my Big Boss difficulty save again and finally made it past Act 3 (but had to kill people during the bike chase, toooo hard otherwise).

i remember that being so damn hard, i was doing the "no kill no alert". oh man, i managed to do it tho after multiple of frustrating attempts.

Bearillusion said:
I completed it on normal a couple of months ago but started a Big Boss run last week. I'm currently up to Screaming Mantis. More fun the second time when you have access to your weapons from the first time.

I'm just interested to hear how other people approach the game. Particularly those that have completed it many times. For example someone might suggest that the only way to play it is with no alerts and on Extreme and why.

I played MGS4 on "Solid" difficulty the first time around. This was nice because it allowed me to enjoy the story without getting so frustrated by the difficulty that I would walk away for a while. It kept me playing straight through to the end.

After this, though, I realized I unlocked "The Boss" difficulty. For some reason, I genuinely wanted to play again, no more than a few days after I'd already beaten it, quite an uncommon occurrence for me, even years after I first beat a game. So I pumped up the difficulty all the way, sat down, and did it again. I got stuck many times, but it was okay because I had already beaten it once. Playing on this higher difficulty also forced me to be more sneaky, which felt awesome.

Also, similar to watching a movie or reading a book a second time, I had a deeper and more profound understanding of the story. Everything about the story felt stronger and better the second time through.

The first time I played the game in the part in Act V where
Snake is crawling through the microwave hallway, my sister was in the room. I had to suck it up and not get too emotional while she was there to save some face. The second time, though, I was alone in the house as I was mashing Triangle. I was seriously tearing up and getting ready to cry from emotional overload (especially because of the amazing song that plays in this part), which made it especially difficult to mash that button with any amount of speed. Suddenly, in a weird way, Snake's struggle became one with my own; as it got more and more difficult for him to drag himself across the hall, it also became harder and harder for me to mash the button as I started losing it and crying. :lol

I've never felt so connected to the game I was playing before, and that simple section of Act V is perhaps the most brilliantly conceived piece of gameplay I've ever had the privilege to experience.

Rez>You said:
Hi, I'm the trophy patch. I'm hiding in MGS4: Substancixisiton. Look forward to me Q3 '09!
Is there a director's cut ending where we aren't fed
nanomachine and impersonation bullwackery
?

It really kills me that
the transcending rivalry between Solid and Liquid is rendered nonexistent in MGS4. That was one of the main things I enjoyed about the series.

U K Narayan said:
?

It really kills me that
the transcending rivalry between Solid and Liquid is rendered nonexistent in MGS4. That was one of the main things I enjoyed about the series.

that rivalry ended for me after MGS1. Liquid Ocelot is NOT Liquid Snake. Not in my heart.....!

Darkpen

Banned
U K Narayan said:
?

It really kills me that
meeeeh

autobzooty said:
I played MGS4 on "Solid" difficulty the first time around. This was nice because it allowed me to enjoy the story without getting so frustrated by the difficulty that I would walk away for a while. It kept me playing straight through to the end.

After this, though, I realized I unlocked "The Boss" difficulty. For some reason, I genuinely wanted to play again, no more than a few days after I'd already beaten it, quite an uncommon occurrence for me, even years after I first beat a game. So I pumped up the difficulty all the way, sat down, and did it again. I got stuck many times, but it was okay because I had already beaten it once. Playing on this higher difficulty also forced me to be more sneaky, which felt awesome.

Also, similar to watching a movie or reading a book a second time, I had a deeper and more profound understanding of the story. Everything about the story felt stronger and better the second time through.

The first time I played the game in the part in Act V where
Snake is crawling through the microwave hallway, my sister was in the room. I had to suck it up and not get too emotional while she was there to save some face. The second time, though, I was alone in the house as I was mashing Triangle. I was seriously tearing up and getting ready to cry from emotional overload (especially because of the amazing song that plays in this part), which made it especially difficult to mash that button with any amount of speed. Suddenly, in a weird way, Snake's struggle became one with my own; as it got more and more difficult for him to drag himself across the hall, it also became harder and harder for me to mash the button as I started losing it and crying. :lol

I've never felt so connected to the game I was playing before, and that simple section of Act V is perhaps the most brilliantly conceived piece of gameplay I've ever had the privilege to experience.

Big girl. :D

Joe211

KTallguy said:

This passage requires only one thing: luck

worst part of the game.

autobzooty said:
that rivalry ended for me after MGS1. Liquid Ocelot is NOT Liquid Snake. Not in my heart.....!
He was in Liquid Snake in MGS2. They just retconned it so that it was always Ocelot's doing. Pretty flimsy work, in my opinion.

Raist

Banned
U K Narayan said:
He was in Liquid Snake in MGS2. They just retconned it so that it was always Ocelot's doing. Pretty flimsy work, in my opinion.

I don't see why it would be retconned

autobzooty said:
The second time, though, I was alone in the house as I was mashing Triangle. I was seriously tearing up and getting ready to cry from emotional overload (especially because of the amazing song that plays in this part), which made it especially difficult to mash that button with any amount of speed. Suddenly, in a weird way, Snake's struggle became one with my own; as it got more and more difficult for him to drag himself across the hall, it also became harder and harder for me to mash the button as I started losing it and crying. :lol

apigds.gif

Raist

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Did you play Metal Gear Solid 2?

Yes, beaten thrice.

And unless I have forgotten, I don't think there is a single element in the plot
that proves that Ocelot wasn't faking being controlled by Liquid

I think the him not being Liquid thing is the part I most didn't like about MGS4 and how everything ended up, somehow it seemed (crazy I know) even lamer than the idea that a magic hand was controlling someone else... but, I dunno, just to get all that way then Ocelot was just like lolz I was just kidding, its actually not Liquid but its me! Lets fight with the same meaning that Liquid and you would have had! :\

I get that Ocelot was a big part of the series, and has a connection with Big Boss etc I know I know.

Just, I dunno, I guess as far as SNAKE'S story goes I just always held on to the MGS thing of Snake VS Liquid being the main rivalry thing and everyone else was just filler bad guys.

*shrugs*

Raist said:
Yes, beaten thrice.

And unless I have forgotten, I don't think there is a single element in the plot
that proves that Ocelot wasn't faking being controlled by Liquid
His arm twitching, veins bulging... his voice. I think it was pretty obvious that Liquid was in control.

His arm isn't even organic in MGS4. It's a prosthetic one.

It's pretty obvious that they retconned it along with other things due to questionable logic.

Raist

Banned
U K Narayan said:
His arm twitching, veins bulging... his voice. I think it was pretty obvious that Liquid was in control.

It's pretty obvious that they retconned it along with other things due to questionable logic.

Nanomachines. Hell, for arm twitching and veins bulging, you don't even need nanomachines. As for the arm, there are several possible explanations. One being that they took it back to reconstruct BB's body, and him a synthetic one

Raist said:
Nanomachines. Hell, for arm twitching and veins bulging, you don't even need nanomachines. As for the arm, there are several possible explanations. One being that they took it back to reconstruct BB's body, and him a synthetic one
Basically, retconned.

He still had Liquid's voice.

-Winnie-

U K Narayan said:

Wait,
I always thought that in MGS2, he really was Liquid, but in MGS4 he had Liquid's arm removed and THEN did all the nanomachine doppleganger stuff.

Raist

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Basically, retconned.

He still had Liquid's voice.

Okay, once again, nano-fucking-machines. Those shits can make some almost immortal, cure cancer in a heartbeat, tag you to a weapon. Why wouldn't they be able to modify your voice ?

Seriously, there's a lot of shit that "doesn't make sense" (as in, not in par with the real technology) in MGS, so I don't see why this wouldn't be any less believable.
I find it really more believable than
"omg, his spirit lived through his arm"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom