• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
NeoUltima said:
2yovpk3.gif

autobzooty said:
I would love to see some VR missions as DLC for MGS4. With leaderboards, it'd be great.

Also there's about a thousand small changes I want made to MGO, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Most of all I just wish that headshots weren't the only shots that count. Sneaking mode is the most creative thing I've even seen in an online shooter, but I never wanna play when I remember how annoying it is to kill a person even when you sneak up on them.

Even though I enjoy playing MGO, it needs a ton of changes.

Movement and atmosphere
I bet the overall atmosphere and how players move around in the game would be less jarring if the 3d camera was removed and the camera was set to over the shoulder the whole time like in GRAW 1 & 2.
Right now the game looks stupid with box dog fighters and people turning their backs 180 degrees while getting instant headshots.
I wish people actually played like in the first trailers for mgo. It looked more realistic and tactical than the exploits people are doing now.

Control change
Switching weapons and items in mgo may be good for single player but it is still not intuitive for a multiplayer match. If it were up to me I would have it so you could change your weapons with the d-pad. Up - primary weapon, right -secondary, down - knife, and left - support.
I would also make it so that the cross hairs dont always appear in the center but randomly around it, so those who cheat by putting stickers on the center of their screens can't exploit the system.

The first person mode should be reassigned. I might be the only one but I dont think the triangle button is a good spot to switch to fpv. Its a bit far when you want to zoom into a target and when you try to get into fpv it interrupts the flow. It would've been better if they made aiming your weapon pressure sensitive so that pressing L1 hard will quickly switch you to fpv.

I'm crossing my fingers for a remake of MGS1-3 in the MGS4 engine. Playing MGS3 with crouch walking and in HD would be bliss. That actually is the only reason why I'd want a 360 port of the series.

GeneralIroh said:

Movement and atmosphere
I bet the overall atmosphere and how players move around in the game would be less jarring if the 3d camera was removed and the camera was set to over the shoulder the whole time like in GRAW 1 & 2.
Right now the game looks stupid with box dog fighters and people turning their backs 180 degrees while getting instant headshots.
I wish people actually played like in the first trailers for mgo. It looked more realistic and tactical than the exploits people are doing now.

Control change
Switching weapons and items in mgo may be good for single player but it is still not intuitive for a multiplayer match. If it were up to me I would have it so you could change your weapons with the d-pad. Up - primary weapon, right -secondary, down - knife, and left - support.
I would also make it so that the cross hairs dont always appear in the center but randomly around it, so those who cheat by putting stickers on the center of their screens can't exploit the system.

The first person mode should be reassigned. I might be the only one but I dont think the triangle button is a good spot to switch to fpv. Its a bit far when you want to zoom into a target and when you try to get into fpv it interrupts the flow. It would've been better if they made aiming your weapon pressure sensitive so that pressing L1 hard will quickly switch you to fpv.

Yeah, I think it'd benefit from a constant over-the-shoulder camera also, but they'd have to REALLY bump up the movement speed when you scroll around. It's way too slow if you're constantly moving around like that, and I have it at max. Players using Snake should keep the third person view, though.

Also I think they should rerelease MGO on the Playstation Store as a separate download (and lose the Konami ID bullshit, ffs). Make the game readily and easily available (not to mention integrated with the standard PSN protocol) and more people might actually play. They should also make the expansion packs free because right now, the community is rather small so creating paid content is just dividing a small player group into even smaller player groups. Paid DLC is fine when millions of people are playing no matter what, but sometimes I literally have no choice but to host a game playing SNE because there are NO OTHER ROOMS playing that game. Seriously? That's no good, Konami.

Darkpen

Banned
GeneralIroh said:

Movement and atmosphere

Control change

God dammit. They're doing that? Again? Augh! It looks like I'm actually not missing much when it comes to not playing MGO :/

worldrevolution said:
Never played an MGS in my life until a month ago, beat 1, 2, 3 over the last few weeks and finally started 4 yesterday. I finally understand the hype this series gets. It's absolutely incredible. Really liking 4 so far but in the end I think 3 will end up being my favorite. The game oozed so much atmosphere, so much emotion. It also helps I'm a complete Bond freak.

I also realized something really interesting. Had I been a fan following the series throughout the years, until MGS4 the last time I would have played as Solid Snake was in 2001, 7 years ago! That's a pretty long time to wait to play the main character of a series.

Anyway, if this game were to have trophies announced I think it would be the most perfect title on the PS3 by far.
For me, I started with playing MGS2, so I've been waiting to play as Raiden again for even longer :<

infinityBCRT said:
I'm crossing my fingers for a remake of MGS1-3 in the MGS4 engine. Playing MGS3 with crouch walking and in HD would be bliss. That actually is the only reason why I'd want a 360 port of the series.
I am too but I don't think it's going to happen (at least not for a while anyway). From what they've said they're not putting their resources into re-doing the old games.

smik

has this happened to anyone with MGS2?

I remember my first play through with MGS2 in 2001, somehow it skipped the entire tanker sequence of playing Snake and started me with Raiden on the Big Shell?

i was so confused playing MGS2 with the story as i didnt see Solid Snake and the first tanker sequence, and then having him show up as Plisken really mind fucked me :lol i had no clue what was going on

after i had completed it and then having the game start me with Snake i was like WTF, then the story started making sense when i played my second playthrough :lol loved every minute though but it just confused the fuck out of me why i didnt play as snake first.

never happened again though after 7 playthoughs....i think those questions at the start had something to do with it..

also this was before i was on the internet forums/sites so i dint know anything about MGS2 and its game features only having played the OG on the PS1

Darkpen

Banned
smik said:

I remember my first play through with MGS2 in 2001, somehow it skipped the entire tanker sequence of playing Snake and started me with Raiden on the Big Shell?

i was so confused playing MGS2 with the story as i didnt see Solid Snake and the first tanker sequence, and then having him show up as Plisken really mind fucked me :lol i had no clue what was going on

after i had completed it and then having the game start me with Snake i was like WTF, then the story started making sense when i played my second playthrough :lol loved every minute though but it just confused the fuck out of me why i didnt play as snake first.

never happened again though after 7 playthoughs....i think those questions at the start had something to do with it..

also this was before i was on the internet forums/sites so i dint know anything about MGS2 and its game features only having played the OG on the PS1
You selected Plant mission, instead of Tanker-Plant? Maybe? Or maybe you had completed MGS2 save that auto-loaded the option for the separate mission areas.

Dre

The game skipped the tanker level if you stated that this was your first MGS experience in the initial question (those questions that determined your difficulty settings).

smik said:

I was mindfucked by the start of Plant chapter even having played Tanker, first. Colonel starts addressing me as Snake, but I have a different voice... it was all so odd. But awesome.

Also odd but awesome was when I go, "Did you just say NERD?!" And Colonel's all, "NODE, not NERD."

Just weird.

Blablurn

smik said:

didn't you see the famous e3 trailer with the tanker before playing the game?

smik

Blablurn said:
didn't you see the famous e3 trailer with the tanker before playing the game?

no, but i remember snake being playable from a mag i had read so thats all that mattered to me....

I was just totally confused thinking who the fuck is Plisken!! did i miss a completely new game or something? and i remember having watched all these flash backs cutscenes of the tanker mission and it really had me going "WTF" who is OLGA, How did Revolva... where the fuck is snake?

at the time it didn't really matter because i still had a great time with it, just looking back at it kinda makes me laugh & pisses me off at the same time. man i feel dumb, how could i screw things up so bad to a game i waited so long to release :(

ahh funny times, go figure though MGS2 is still in my top 3 games of all time

Imagine if back in the days of MGS1 someone told you that the saga of Snake was going to end with Meryl getting married to the dude she beat up, you would have every right to tell them to go and fuck themselves.

wRATH2x

Banned
igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
Imagine if back in the days of MGS1 someone told you that the saga of Snake was going to end with Meryl getting married to the dude she beat up, you would have every right to tell them to go and fuck themselves.
The only thing I don't like about MGS4.

The worst thing about that scene was how unattractive Meryl looked in that wedding gown with the pistol holster and everything. She looked much hotter in her BDU.

PuppetMaster said:
The worst thing about that scene was how unattractive Meryl looked in that wedding gown with the pistol holster and everything. She looked much hotter in her BDU.
Imagine how Johnny must have felt about that, Meryl looked like was on the football team.

smik said:

I think this happens if you select the 'I've never played Metal Gear Solid' option. It happened to a mate of mine. I was very confused when he started asking me questions about the opening area..

Darkpen

Banned
freethought said:
I think this happens if you select the 'I've never played Metal Gear Solid' option. It happened to a mate of mine. I was very confused when he started asking me questions about the opening area..
wait, that was an option in mgs2? I thought that was from MGS3. I only own Substance, but a friend lent me MGS2 originally, and I don't remember that.

Dre

Darkpen said:
wait, that was an option in mgs2? I thought that was from MGS3. I only own Substance, but a friend lent me MGS2 originally, and I don't remember that.
Both have similar initial questions.
In MGS3 it affects the mask Big Boss is wearing.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
PuppetMaster said:

that was hot yo

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
GeneralIroh said:

Movement and atmosphere

Control change

anything but this imo, you may think boxes make the gunfights look unrealistic but the persistent over the shoulder cam in games like socom and graw make shootouts look a lot worse. The fast moving 3rd person camera always gives you a chance to retaliate and shoot your way out of tough situations.

Darkpen

Banned
PuppetMaster said:
...i don't know who thought it'd be a good idea to emphasise her shoulders :S

Some of you need to get over Meryl's design. They didn't want to make her look hot, and you have Naomi and the beauties for that already. She looks exactly like she should. Now cry about Olga's armpits.

You need to remember what she was like in MGS1. She acted like a male soldier, even though the way she walked gave her away :p

Philanthropist said:
Some of you need to get over Meryl's design. They didn't want to make her look hot, and you have Naomi and the beauties for that already. She looks exactly like she should. Now cry about Olga's armpits.

You need to remember what she was like in MGS1. She acted like a male soldier, even though the way she walked gave her away :p
Is bad to oversexualize female characters, but showing them exactly how they would be in Real Life is also... you know

Philanthropist said:

Please Meryl was a sexy bitch in MGS. There is a reason why when chasing her into the female toilets I always make it straight after her, yeh boi, welcome to the no pants party.

SCReuter

Question unrelated to MGS4:

Is the Essential Collection version of MGS1 known to have sound irregularities on PS3? Tonight I popped the game into my 60GB for the first time and there's loud static during the opening Sony logo and pitter-patter noises that randomly show up during the cut scenes. It's the same for both discs.

Sucks because I'm pretty sure my EBgames receipt is expired too.

SCReuter said:
Question unrelated to MGS4:

Is the Essential Collection version of MGS1 known to have sound irregularities on PS3? Tonight I popped the game into my 60GB for the first time and there's loud static during the opening Sony logo and pitter-patter noises that randomly show up during the cut scenes. It's the same for both discs.

Sucks because I'm pretty sure my EBgames receipt is expired too.

Essential ver. of MGS1's the same as any MGS1 disc we got in the U.S. Might be an issue with your PS3.

Philanthropist said:
Now cry about Olga's armpits.

So hot when she flashes that armpit hair. Whenever my gf is like, "It's getting a little long..." I'm like, "Oh, no, baby, it looks fine!" secretly wanting it to grow out like Olga.

No. Lie.

Darkpen

Banned
Turk said:
I miss MGS1 snake.

This Snake:
2v3phsn.jpg

I don't know who this guy is:
konami_revs_metal_gear_solid_silent_hill-11.jpg

He's not the Snake I knew.
my only beef is that young snake head model w/ bandanna doesn't have his hair thingy in the front like how non-bandanna model does :( (excluding Act 3)

Movement

PuppetMaster said:
I agree I always thought she liked a man, her shoulders were so fucking huge she looks disgusting. Which is a shame because she's fucking hot in her combat outfit.

Darkpen

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
Dudes, she's a soldier. What do you expect? :lol
Oh, I don't know, a better DRESS?? I mean, fuck, according the credits, that dress design is a real wedding dress, but if this dress was demoed at all on her actual physical body in real life, fuck me if she would actually go through with picking that one. I bet you whoever demoed this dress to Kojima or Shinkawa or both totally did not have Meryl's build.

It is not tasteful, and does not make her pretty.

Its form-fitting in the wrong way!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Pai Pai Master said:
Dudes, she's a soldier. What do you expect? :lol
Exactly. The Boss would probably look the same as well. That's how a tough-ass female soldier would look. C'mon, guys.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Darkpen said:
Oh, I don't know, a better DRESS?? I mean, fuck, according the credits, that dress design is a real wedding dress, but if this dress was demoed at all on her actual physical body in real life, fuck me if she would actually go through with picking that one. I bet you whoever demoed this dress to Kojima or Shinkawa or both totally did not have Meryl's build.

It is not tasteful, and does not make her pretty.

Its form-fitting in the wrong way!
About as tasteful as the pistol strapped to her waste :p Meryl's clueless :lol

But seriously, accentuating her beefy physique was kinda cool to me. Bucking the stereotype yadda yadda.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
What kind of dress SHOULD she wear? One that covers her up totally, so that you can maintain your dirty little imagination of a perfect female body underneath, completely devoid of muscles?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Le fuk?!
Just be glad they didn't give Meryl Chun Li SFIV hands. Although I wouldn't mind the thighs though. ;P

Zen

Banned
evil solrac v3.0 said:
losers, of course Meryl is going to have a buff physique, what'd you expect?

I don't think he's complaining about her physique so much as that the dress doesn't suit said physique.

Zen said:
I don't think he's complaining about her physique so much as that the dress doesn't suit said physique.

i think almost anything would show off that body of hers. and she really didn't look like a man at all. typical GAF over-reaction.

Catalix

evil solrac v3.0 said:
i think almost anything would show off that body of hers. and she really didn't look like a man at all. typical GAF over-reaction.
Nah, appropriately muscular female soldiers should be thoroughly ashamed of their physique and cover it up as much as possible.

It's far too intimidating and presents a concerted effort to attack every aspect of my manhood!

281yib5.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom