• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkpen

Banned
Her dress is shit.

No, I'm not suggesting we hide her physique. I'm pointing out the fact that there are ways to accentuate a woman's curves to make her overall body image far more attractive in clothes than the body-hugging top-heavy-impression crap she wears as a wedding dress.

Its not a dress designed with her body in mind. In fact, I think maybe some more leg room and a shawl would have done fucking wonders.

netguy503

Ok, I just beat this game for the first time.

Question: Can I get Snake Eater so I can play it on my ipod in game? It hurts that it is at the end but not on my ipod. :(

Btw, trophies would be sweet. In a way, I'd like to earn them all again but in another way I hope they are retroactive and when I update my game and turn it on for the first time I will see all these trophies rapidly flash before my eyes (lol, I've heard of it happening but never witnessed it myself).

Can't wait until E3. :)

RPS37

I just finished it today to make sure I could give inFAMOUS my full attention.
I loved it. Even though it was almost just a movie.
It was my first Metal Gear. I was late for work. I missed the cutscenes after the credits, how do I re-watch them? Should I?

Lord Phol

Beat it some weeks ago, and just gotta say that it's probably the game I've enjoyed the most in years. All thanks to the great compelling story.
Had a bit of hard time getting into it the first 2 acts but then it just got better and I couldn't stop playing, loved the ending.

Really hope this new mgs announcement proves to be as great, and hopefully a refinement in the gameplay department. Really feels dated at times.

.GqueB.

Banned
Darkpen said:
Oh, I don't know, a better DRESS?? I mean, fuck, according the credits, that dress design is a real wedding dress, but if this dress was demoed at all on her actual physical body in real life, fuck me if she would actually go through with picking that one. I bet you whoever demoed this dress to Kojima or Shinkawa or both totally did not have Meryl's build.

It is not tasteful, and does not make her pretty.

Its form-fitting in the wrong way!
Christ man listen to yourself...

RPS37 said:
It was my first Metal Gear. I was late for work. I missed the cutscenes after the credits, how do I re-watch them? Should I?

That sucks, but you probably should play some of the previous games before watching the real ending.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Sorry, this isn't the right thread to ask this in, but I don't know where to ask it and I don't want to start a new thread or anything.

My question: How outdated is Metal Gear Solid for Playstation? Could I still play it and get into it do you think? I'm thinking of picking up the collection, but I can get the better versions of the second and third games for a cheap price than the collection.

I'm guessing I'll need to play the first for story anyways though. Basically, I just don't want to be disappointed. Please tell me as it really is: is Metal Gear Solid too outdated to be enjoyed by someone who never played it?

Fantastical said:
Sorry, this isn't the right thread to ask this in, but I don't know where to ask it and I don't want to start a new thread or anything.

My question: How outdated is Metal Gear Solid for Playstation? Could I still play it and get into it do you think? I'm thinking of picking up the collection, but I can get the better versions of the second and third games for a cheap price than the collection.

I'm guessing I'll need to play the first for story anyways though. Basically, I just don't want to be disappointed. Please tell me as it really is: is Metal Gear Solid too outdated to be enjoyed by someone who never played it?
No, it's completely playable...

The collection includes the Substance/Subsistence versions (the "better versions") of of MGS2 and MGS3 as well. So you get the side missions in MGS2 and the 3D camera in MGS3... what you miss out on is the Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 MSX2 ports that were originally included in the second disc of MS3:Subsistence.

Houston3000 said:
No, it's completely playable...

The collection includes the Substance/Subsistence versions (the "better versions") of of MGS2 and MGS3 as well. So you get the side missions in MGS2 and the 3D camera in MGS3... what you miss out on is the Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 MSX2 ports that were originally included in the second disc of MS3:Subsistence.
The collection went out of print within weeks of the MGS4 release... I literally bought the last copy in the Greater Toronto Area. Searched a ton of stores to find a copy, I checked the online stock of the Source and found one copy which they basically lost and it took them 20 minutes to find it in their storage room. I also picked up Subsistence from EB Games to get the 2nd disc.

Fantastical said:

it can be hard at first, but you'll get used to it very quickly if you just muscle through.

alternatively, you can pick up The Twin Snakes on gamecube. it's MGS1 running on the MGS2 engine with better sound/script/controls/graphics. It's better in every way except that it doesn't really instill nostalgia.

ToyMachine228 said:
With all the Metal Gear hype flying around I'm really tempted to play through MGS4 again. Maybe I will start a new game this weekend.

i've started my third playthrough just recently.

Old Snake's opening monologue still gives me chills.

autobzooty said:
it can be hard at first, but you'll get used to it very quickly if you just muscle through.

alternatively, you can pick up The Twin Snakes on gamecube. it's MGS1 running on the MGS2 engine with better sound/script/controls/graphics. It's better in every way except that it doesn't really instill nostalgia.

While it might be easier on the eyes, dumping the MGS2 controls into the MGS1 levels totally kills the games difficulty. I'd recommend playing the original to experience the game the way it was meant to be played.

Plus autobzooty is obviously just butthurt over the raping TTS gets every time it's mentioned so his opinion's not exactly unbiased.

I want to play MGS4 again but I will wait a couple weeks at least, firstly because I have tests to pass, and secondly because there's a chance my second playthrough could be more desirable after the first anniversary in case they release some kind of new content, trophies or whatever. I still wonder what they meant with more surprises nearing that day.

NeoUltima

Shalashaska said:
I've started another playthrough again as all the Integral Podcasts are now released.
I'm still hoping for trophies before I playthrough again any time soon(6 six times in a year is enough I think). Of course if there is no trophy announcement at e3, I will give up hope. Don't know why they just don't turn the emblems into trophies :(.

BigBoss

NeoUltima said:
I'm still hoping for trophies before I playthrough again any time soon(6 six times in a year is enough I think). Of course if there is no trophy announcement at e3, I will give up hope. Don't know why they just don't turn the emblems into trophies :(.

Wait until June 12th, Konami says there will be a special announcement on the PS Blog concerning MGS4.

Just finished my third playthrough of the game (UNTAGGED SPOILERS HO!). Now that Metal Gear Solid: Rising has been announced, I noticed a minute detail about the end.

The final image the game shows you before showing you your end score is Sunny's eggs and she says something to the effect of "They look yummy! Kind of like the sun. It's rising again..."

RISING?!

Anywho...it's amazing how every time I play this game, something different strikes me in a new way. During Snake's climactic battle with Liquid, there is a great choreographed fight scene, and after they both knock each other away, Snake screams up at the sky "GRAAAHHH LIQUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID!" I just now realized that this is very unlike Snake and is an interesting development of his character. Snake almost never gets angry. We see him get serious and even shout occasionally, but it's almost never out of anger, much less this pure rage and hatred that he displayed at this moment. I thought it was interesting.

And I know I've been saying this a lot lately, but god damn, I really can't believe how terrible the last scene of the game is. If the game just ended right after the first credit roll, and the last thing we see is Otacon and Sunny beginning their new lease on life while looking out into the sunset, it would have been such an amazing ending. I've heard people say that Snake killing himself is too cliche, but it doesn't seem cliche at all to me, especially in a video game. No one ever seems to have the balls to just make it a sad ending, and it would have been an appropriate and dramatic death for a legend like Snake. But instead, he's going to die a few months later curled up in a death bed too frail to even feed himself. It's just a poor image for Snake.

AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON BIG BOSS.

I can't really complain too much though. I mean, with the ending I wanted, the game would have been a 20/10 GOTF, but instead now it's just a mere 10/10 GOTY. It's just that it's getting really hard to pretend that the final scene didn't happen. :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
autobzooty said:
Just finished my third playthrough of the game (UNTAGGED SPOILERS HO!). Now that Metal Gear Solid: Rising has been announced, I noticed a minute detail about the end.

The final image the game shows you before showing you your end score is Sunny's eggs and she says something to the effect of "They look yummy! Kind of like the sun. It's rising again..."

RISING?!
That motherf-

And I know I've been saying this a lot lately, but god damn, I really can't believe how terrible the last scene of the game is. If the game just ended right after the first credit roll, and the last thing we see is Otacon and Sunny beginning their new lease on life while looking out into the sunset, it would have been such an amazing ending. I've heard people say that Snake killing himself is too cliche, but it doesn't seem cliche at all to me, especially in a video game. No one ever seems to have the balls to just make it a sad ending, and it would have been an appropriate and dramatic death for a legend like Snake. But instead, he's going to die a few months later curled up in a death bed too frail to even feed himself. It's just a poor image for Snake.
It really would have been, but Kojima's been teasing that scene for so long you just knew it wasn't going to happen. I mean, it's in the menu ffs. Everyone should have known then.

Blader

autobzooty said:

There's your sad ending. =P

rocK`

Banned
autobzooty said:

RISING?!

mind =/....

well you get the drift.

BigBoss said:
Wait until June 12th, Konami says there will be a special announcement on the PS Blog concerning MGS4.

Did they now?

Watch them regurgitate everything they already said during E3

Kinda funny their free online song/camo downloads petered out, and they still have half a gig of space to spare.

Just watched Gran Torino (fucking amazing film) and I couldn't help but think of Old Snake the whole time. The grunting and groaning and being told not to smoke lol. So spot on.

Blader5489 said:
There's your sad ending. =P

I know you're baiting me, but I'm gonna bite anyways :lol

my point is that for Snake's life to end in that way (the way that so many ordinary folks' lives end) is still somewhat sad, but the sadness is sort of overwhelmed by how pathetic it is. you end up just feeling pity instead of sadness.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
autobzooty said:

my point is that for Snake's life to end in that way (the way that so many ordinary folks' lives end) is still somewhat sad, but the sadness is sort of overwhelmed by how pathetic it is. you end up just feeling pity instead of sadness.
Pathetic... or strangely uplifting? He broke the cycle :)

I have very mixed feelings about the whole ending, myself :(

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Just beat the game myself tonight.

...eh. I knew the ending wasn't going to be anything mind blowing so I wasn't really disappointed by it. I will say that the gameplay was very disappointing though. I never once felt the need to actually be stealthy and the last couple of chapters don't even feel like a game.

Overall, I liked it because I really enjoy the MG universe but it really could have been so much better.

autobzooty said:

He broke the cycle of violence that he was born into.

He earned his peace.

That's the point.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
neoism said:
Isn't there going to be some kind of an announcement the 12th for this game! Trophies maybe!
*fingers crossed*

Ysiadmihi said:

...eh. I knew the ending wasn't going to be anything mind blowing so I wasn't really disappointed by it. I will say that the gameplay was very disappointing though. I never once felt the need to actually be stealthy and the last couple of chapters don't even feel like a game.

Overall, I liked it because I really enjoy the MG universe but it really could have been so much better.

Go back and play it on extreme difficulty. You HAVE to be stealthy then, because if you're seen, you're immediately overwhelmed. The game was much better for me when I turned up the difficulty on my second play through.

AnonymousNoob said:

He earned his peace.

That's the point.

It's not fucked up enough. It's a poor way to end Snake's life I think. Maybe it fits perfectly with whatever point Kojima wanted to make, but I guess I just don't care for the point he was making, especially since he threw almost all of the high-points of the game out the window in the process.

And once again, it comes back to what Kojima originally wanted the ending to be, like it usually does in these conversations. He wanted Snake and Otacon to be put on trial and hanged for terrorism or something, but his staff thought it was too depressing I think. That "original" ending doesn't really jive with "the point."

Blader

AnonymousNoob said:

He earned his peace.

That's the point.

Exactly.

autobzooty said:
It's not fucked up enough. It's a poor way to end Snake's life I think. Maybe it fits perfectly with whatever point Kojima wanted to make, but I guess I just don't care for the point he was making, especially since he threw almost all of the high-points of the game out the window in the process.

"Breaking the cycle" was a major point of the entire game, not just the ending. It's not like it came out of nowhere.

Ysiadmihi said:

I played stealthily not because the game forced me too, but because I found it way more fun. I'd recommend doing a playthrough on extreme and forcing yourself to be stealthy at all times. Never power through to the next area and don't go rambo. In my opinion the stealth gameplay is the best it's ever been. For instance, in act 2 don't help the rebels and leave the power plant online. Then after the Drebin cutscene instead of following the road, find the little mountain path. That's a great little area for some proper old school tactical espionage action.

Also, try and get through the first area on act 5 without raising an alert (and if you're feeling really sneaky, try doing it without interfering with the enemies at all). I really don't have enough praise for that section.

Either way, replay the game. There are probably entire areas you didn't find the first time, especially in the first part of Act 2.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
autobzooty said:

RISING?!

Anywho...it's amazing how every time I play this game, something different strikes me in a new way. During Snake's climactic battle with Liquid, there is a great choreographed fight scene, and after they both knock each other away, Snake screams up at the sky "GRAAAHHH LIQUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID!" I just now realized that this is very unlike Snake and is an interesting development of his character. Snake almost never gets angry. We see him get serious and even shout occasionally, but it's almost never out of anger, much less this pure rage and hatred that he displayed at this moment. I thought it was interesting.

AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON BIG BOSS.

I can't really complain too much though. I mean, with the ending I wanted, the game would have been a 20/10 GOTF, but instead now it's just a mere 10/10 GOTY. It's just that it's getting really hard to pretend that the final scene didn't happen. :lol

Otacon and Snake were originally supposed to turn themselves in and be trialed and executed (basically, officially considered anarchists/terrorists but having actually saved the world, a fate similar to
The Boss
). But the rest of the team didn't like that, so Kojima changed it. The ending theme "Here's to you" is still about that original ending. Check the lyrics if you want.

Catalix

freethought said:
I played stealthily not because the game forced me too, but because I found it way more fun. I'd recommend doing a playthrough on extreme and forcing yourself to be stealthy at all times. Never power through to the next area and don't go rambo. In my opinion the stealth gameplay is the best it's ever been. For instance, in act 2 don't help the rebels and leave the power plant online. Then after the Drebin cutscene instead of following the road, find the little mountain path. That's a great little area for some proper old school tactical espionage action.

Also, try and get through the first area on act 5 without raising an alert (and if you're feeling really sneaky, try doing it without interfering with the enemies at all). I really don't have enough praise for that section.

Either way, replay the game. There are probably entire areas you didn't find the first time, especially in the first part of Act 2.
Very good advice all around.

I also gotta chime in on the depth of Act 2. All the different routes and alternate areas I missed on my first couple playthroughs was pretty surprising! Nice amount of exploration.

And like you said, the beginning of Act 5 made for a memorable stealth gameplay experience. Wish there was more of that later in the act.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
You know...I bought the MGS4 bundle last year and I haven't played more than 20 mins of this game. I need to put this at the top of my list to play and finish.

Oni Jazar said:
Trophies.
Downloadable VR missions.
MGO on PSN.
I'm hoping for a trophy patch like many others. But just thinking about it I have a feeling this 'announcement' is going to be Metal Gear Solid on PSN because I don't believe it has actually been officially announced yet. With the announcement being on the PS Blog and not from Konami, on the Friday before MGS is going to go on the store, I have a suspicion that's what it is.

edit: Maybe not, has it been officially announced yet? I think Konami might have but there's been nothing on the PS Blog about it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Catalix said:
Very good advice all around.

I also gotta chime in on the depth of Act 2. All the different routes and alternate areas I missed on my first couple playthroughs was pretty surprising! Nice amount of exploration.

And like you said, the beginning of Act 5 made for a memorable stealth gameplay experience. Wish there was more of that later in the act.

It was a bit retarded IMO,
you're on a really narrow hyper-hightech warship full of hightech soldier-ninjas and bio-walking-tanks and they still can't prevent a guy from crawling all the way to the front door.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ether_Snake said:
you're on a really narrow hyper-hightech warship full of hightech soldier-ninjas and bio-walking-tanks and they still can't prevent a guy from crawling all the way to the front door.

Snake is not "a guy".

Catalix

Ether_Snake said:
Well if you're gonna put it like that, the entire series is pretty dumb in that department. :lol

On that note, ever noticed how horrible Snake is at being sneaky during cutscenes? That scene where he clumsily made his way behind a stack of boxes when "Tatyana" was leaving the room where Sokolov was being held. His body was still sticking out in plain sight. If Eva turned her head just a few degrees to the right, he would've been spotted easily.

That's just one of many instances involving both Solid and Naked Snake's half-assed attempts at "stealth." Their tactics are fucking lame. Great soldiers, horrible spies.

netguy503

Some people are saying the people in the latest podcast were talking about something coming to this game on Friday. Can some people look/ confirm this? If so when does MGO update- Thursday with the store or another day of the week? If it's not MGO, we could be getting trophies this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom