• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
GeneralIroh said:
I found ocelot's personality to be really inconsistent because in mgs2 he was basically the patriot's bitch and then all of a sudden he trying to free the world. Seemed retarded that he wasted his time with solidus when in the end he was accomplishing the same thing solidus tried to do.
It seemed like they tried to force the anti hero thing onto ocelot.

He was never anyone's "bitch"!
He works for everybody...and never gets caught...and slowly but surely gets what he wants. Everyone is his bitch! :lol

Going back to the "Portable Ops doesn't fit with MGS4" debate, in PO, Zero uses Big Boss as insurance and in MGS4, The Patriot's use Snake as insurance.

hirokazu said:
OK...

...so where are these all week long announcements then?

Today's was Metal Gear Solid for PSOne, it's on PSN.

Tomorrow is the last day of this "week of announcements", hopefully Konami will announce a MGS4 trophy patch.

magus

So all these lame announcements made me replay through MGS4 again. Man act 3 sucks when you're trying to do a no kill run :lol .

Metal Gear Online... man the patches are huge. I've never seriously attempted to play MGO but I guess I'll try now.

Dibbz said:
I guess there was no trophy patch announced. What was though?
A tournament for people who bought the latest paid content. Yeah.

I may as well put on the MGS FANBOI THEORYZ hat one last time and say that perhaps Kojima Productions didn't put in a Trophy Patch on purpose. The ranking system was the established badge-of-honor system they had from MG all the way to MGS3, and they diluted it into the Emblem system that is basically Trophies but without the synchronization to PSN. We all know that these things don't have any meaning or tangible benefit to ourselves as gamers (with maybe the exception of in-game unlocks but those have been an inherent part of Metal Gear as well) so KojiPro's basically framing these Emblems in reference to how MGS would interpret Trophies. We're getting in-game rewards for these Emblems which are much more valuable to playing the game than a *plink* sound with a Trophy icon that obscures the clock on the in-game XMB and stokes our game-boners for a little bit. If you wanted Trophies so bad, you'd have gotten all of the Emblems by now and you wouldn't be caring.

magus

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:

I may as well put on the MGS FANBOI THEORYZ hat one last time and say that perhaps Kojima Productions didn't put in a Trophy Patch on purpose. The ranking system was the established badge-of-honor system they had from MG all the way to MGS3, and they diluted it into the Emblem system that is basically Trophies but without the synchronization to PSN. We all know that these things don't have any meaning or tangible benefit to ourselves as gamers (with maybe the exception of in-game unlocks but those have been an inherent part of Metal Gear as well) so KojiPro's basically framing these Emblems in reference to how MGS would interpret Trophies. We're getting in-game rewards for these Emblems which are much more valuable to playing the game than a *plink* sound with a Trophy icon that obscures the clock on the in-game XMB and stokes our game-boners for a little bit. If you wanted Trophies so bad, you'd have gotten all of the Emblems by now and you wouldn't be caring.

Seems it could be implemented easily though. Just add some hooks to the emblem system and its done. Similar to how Uncharted already had an achievement-like system prior to the trophy system.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:

so f'ing true. All this drama about no trophies is stupid.

epmode

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
If you wanted Trophies so bad, you'd have gotten all of the Emblems by now and you wouldn't be caring.
Head in hands.

Besides, tying a trophy system to the emblems is a horrible idea. Achivement systems which require so many playthroughs to get everything are broken. Mass Effect, for example.

BigBoss

GeneralIroh said:
so f'ing true. All this drama about no trophies is stupid.

Only Kojima Productions is to blame, they should just come out and say they aren't working on a trophy patch instead of hinting for months that a trophy patch was coming.

So I picked up MGS4 back a couple weeks ago after the price drop. I started it 2 days ago and just finished Act 2. So far I have to say I'm disappointed.

I know cut scenes are a part of Metal Gear but it is getting kinda ridiculous. In 6 1/2 hours I've probably played the game an hour and a half. Worst of all, the plot really hasn't gone anywhere.

Also the first boss battle in the game isn't very good either. 10 minutes of shooting followed by a 5 minute cutscene of Octopus' ass. Followed by the second part of the battle which was lame as well.

But it's not all bad. The graphics, sound, and presentation are second to none. And all of Metal Gears zaniness is intact. But I wish there was more gameplay and that the plot would finally start resolving itself.

NameGenerated said:
I just finished MGS1 again, earlier tonight. Probably going to go through all of them again.

I'll probably go through MGS3 before I play Peace Walker, come to think of it the only 2 MGS I don't own are MGS2 and PO, I'll buy PO whenever it's available on PSN and maybe I'll buy MGS2 to complete the collection as well.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
So I picked up MGS4 back a couple weeks ago after the price drop. I started it 2 days ago and just finished Act 2. So far I have to say I'm disappointed.

I know cut scenes are a part of Metal Gear but it is getting kinda ridiculous. In 6 1/2 hours I've probably played the game an hour and a half. Worst of all, the plot really hasn't gone anywhere.

Also the first boss battle in the game isn't very good either. 10 minutes of shooting followed by a 5 minute cutscene of Octopus' ass. Followed by the second part of the battle which was lame as well.

But it's not all bad. The graphics, sound, and presentation are second to none. And all of Metal Gears zaniness is intact. But I wish there was more gameplay and that the plot would finally start resolving itself.

If you're disappointed after the first 2 acts you may as well burn it.

Cartman86

Banned
This might sound like i'm being an ass but, I really really want to know what people who disliked Metal Gear's story think of games like Bionic Commando, Halo, Gears of War etc. Games who's stories I personally find extremely throw away. While the cutscenes may be much shorter in these games I feel far more pain sitting through them than I do with MGS. With MGS I know it's headed somewhere, but these other games really went nowhere. Hell Uncharted (best characters in any game in my opinion) had a great story up until the end. It felt like the uselessness of Gears of War and these other games.

RpgN

^
Agreed. It's like a popcorn game :p It wouldn't be a MGS game without those long entertaining cutscenes. But honesty, the codec talks seems to be shorter and less important here.
Bearillusion said:
If you're disappointed after the first 2 acts you may as well burn it.

I don't agree with this. Act 2 is the weakest one in my opinion. In Act 3 it picks up story wise and there's more stealth and riding vehicles involved. Act 4 being a legendary one. Hehe, I'll start with Act 5 soon.

I think MGS2 had the greatest amount of cutscenes and the balance was off (correct me if I'm wrong, it has been 6-7 years ago). MGS3 was just right, it had the least amount of cutscenes (but it build up in the end). MGS4 has more cutscenes than MGS3 (not sure about 2) but it's the end of Snake and that chapter in general, it has to answer and explain everything throughout the franchise.

He doesn't sound like much of a MGS fan, despite him knowing what to expect with the cutscenes.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
RpgN said:
I don't agree with this. Act 2 is the weakest one in my opinion.

I'm the complete opposite, the second is my favourite in the whole game- huge wide-open play areas, multiple paths, the gameplay of act 1 mixed with the scenery/stealth of MGS3, I love it.

I can't remember much of the 3rd Act, I thought it was over waay too quickly.

RpgN

RichardAM said:
I'm the complete opposite, the second is my favourite in the whole game- huge wide-open play areas, multiple paths, the gameplay of act 1 mixed with the scenery/stealth of MGS3, I love it.

I can't remember much of the 3rd Act, I thought it was over waay too quickly.

Bearillusion said:
Act 2 is fantastic. What is wrong with you?

I didn't like the enemies respawning the whole time, yet at the same time you were given choice to help the militia. The first area you were able to make a difference and completely wiped out the PMCs. But after that it didn't make a difference. It was like you were being forced to stealth and wouldn't make an impact on the battle. I felt that part was tedious. You got all those weapons, but it didn't matter if you use them. I liked it after that part with Naomi, laughing octopus and the rest.

Darkpen

Banned
But I liked Halo cutscenes, and Uncharted's ending :< Though yeah, Gears of War has some really lame cutscenes, its hard to not to want to skip them.

Even as an MGS fan, MGS4 had some really absurdly long cutscenes. The gameplay:cutscene ratio was out of whack, even in comparison to MGS3, and the lack of importance in the codec was a disappointment, considering MGS3's sheer depth. You can't help but wonder about the things they had to leave out on the cutting room floor, for one limitation reason or another, like the deleted sewer sequence that there was supposed to be with EVA in Act 3. The lack of true involvement and "openess" of the battlefield that Kojima promised was a disappointment too.

The fact that the game never actually tells you that you can help the militia is disappointing as well. Watching someone play the game who doesn't know about the fact that you can side with them will kill them outright, constantly being on alarm mode, is terribly cringe-worthy.

They said they had even more script work in MGS4 than they did with the previous games, yet I feel like there was even less dialogue than there was in MGS3, considering the lack of random codec calls. Sure, MGS4's cutscenes are pretty long, but not as long as the hours upon hours of codec calls there have been in previous games.

Ashour

Even though I finished MGS3 last year again I want to play it again, it's my favorite so far.

Fix The Scientist said:
I've been a huge Metal Gear fan but havent been able to buy a PS3 until today and will pick it up tomorrow oh man i pumped!

Congrats on the PS3, MGS4 is amazing.

Philanthropist said:
I started replaying yesterday :D

Me too. Though I've beaten the game 4 or 5 times, this will only be the second time I play through without skipping cutscenes and dialogue.

So, so glorious.

anddo0

Philanthropist said:
I started replaying yesterday :D

I'm about to as well. I just finished up MGS again, last night.. Screw waiting for a trophy patch that may never come. Its time to start my second run at this game.

Raiden - "It was never going to work out for me...it even rained the day I was born"

Snake - "You've got it all wrong, you were the lightning in that rain, you can still shine through the darkness"

Best lines ever :)

I didn't like the enemies respawning the whole time

So you killed everything in sight then :D I'm amazed by how many don't realize that non lethal take downs can stop a war dead. In Act 2 if you
help the Rebels destroy the generators,
after the Drebin cut scene you can just walk straight through...and pick up some tasty weapons.

And MGS4 has by far the most cut scenes. I remember thinking the Peter Stillman cut scene (MGS2) was really long...it isn't...it was at the time.

RpgN

Ballistics said:
So you killed everything in sight then :D I'm amazed by how many don't realize that non lethal take downs can stop a war dead. In Act 2 if you
after the Drebin cut scene you can just walk straight through...and pick up some tasty weapons.

And MGS4 has by far the most cut scenes. I remember thinking the Peter Stillman cut scene (MGS2) was really long...it isn't...it was at the time.

I helped the generator getting destroyed the first time before meeting up with Drebin. But after that, the other areas didn't have that. I kept killing at their base, more came and the militia got easily killed. Are you sure after Drebin it's also possible?

RpgN said:
He doesn't sound like much of a MGS fan, despite him knowing what to expect with the cutscenes.

Yeah, I'm more of a casual fan. I never played the first. Absolutely loved the second. And played the third but never bothered to finish it.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
Fix The Scientist said:
I've been a huge Metal Gear fan but havent been able to buy a PS3 until today and will pick it up tomorrow oh man i pumped!

Get yourself ready for a great game!
Enjoy the normal campaign and then up the difficulty for an even greater ride through act 3.

RpgN said:
I helped the generator getting destroyed the first time before meeting up with Drebin. But after that, the other areas didn't have that. I kept killing at their base, more came and the militia got easily killed. Are you sure after Drebin it's also possible?

If you kill someone they will be replaced (mostly...some aren't), that goes for both sides (the Rebels are always replaced). But if you tranquillise them that stops them from being replaced. This slows down the battle. But it's not without it's difficulties, because explosions kill the soldiers you tranquillise, so it's hard to knock out everybody...but I'm sure it can be done. And they come from many different places.
It's something to try ;)

Darkpen

Banned
Ballistics said:
Raiden - "It was never going to work out for me...it even rained the day I was born"

Snake - "You've got it all wrong, you were the lightning in that rain, you can still shine through the darkness"

Best lines ever :)

oh, no, its pretty darn long. I played 2 again recently, and yeah, it was long and boring. What's fun to do is swivel the camera and look at Plisken when he talks. Dude has some blinking problems, IIRC.

I never knew you could move the camera until the other week :D And you can't skip it either...which is annoying when you're seeing how fast you can complete it ;)

It turns out that you can't stop every war. But there's always some sort of cause to help the rebels with.

Sansana

Neo Member
Whoah, just finished the game; I'm speechless. Been waiting for this moment for so long (ever since I've finished MGS3 long time ago) ! Kojima has ended the Metal Gear Solid saga in a truly outstanding way.

Thank you Snake for all the missions we have successfully accomplished together... ;_;

TalonsOfJustice

Neo Member
g35twinturbo said:
I'm starting to get the itch again :D

I want to get back to the point where Rex/Ray is having fun.

God that part of the game was so fucking good. The controls are simple, but fun as hell at the sametime. I love this game :D

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
TalonsOfJustice said:
God that part of the game was so fucking good. The controls are simple, but fun as hell at the sametime. I love this game :D
with the music, the bass, the andreneline of the story at that point, that part was soooOOOoooOOO good

dalin80

Banned
help needed guys!

ive just started again after a while out and iam trying for a no kills run, unknown to me the game switched to a lethal gun in a cutscene causing me to kill a guy.

if i kill myself and restart at the last checkpoint will the game forget about that kill or will i have to restart the whole level?

Grayman

dalin80 said:
help needed guys!

ive just started again after a while out and iam trying for a no kills run, unknown to me the game switched to a lethal gun in a cutscene causing me to kill a guy.

if i kill myself and restart at the last checkpoint will the game forget about that kill or will i have to restart the whole level?
exit to the menu and load your save

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom