• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
is it ok if i read wiki summaries of mgs 2 and 3 and then play mgs4?

You really should pick up a PS2 for cheap, it's worth it...not just to catch up on the MGS storyline, but because they're classic games. I just got one again recently, and MGS3 alone justified the purchase. You can find the essential collection for only 20 bucks.

Raist

Banned
This thread is a fucking minefield.

Also, congrats cantstanja, you somehow managed to get a pic shittier than PS3 slim pics. Calling fake on your PS3 & MGS4 copy. It's obviously 'shop'd

glaurung

VegaShinra said:
Huelen is more like this:
istockphoto_2241766-scary-hand.jpg

Is that Madonna's hand?

Cartman86

Banned
kbear said:
is it ok if i read wiki summaries of mgs 2 and 3 and then play mgs4?

Really no it's not. I mean it's possible to still enjoy MGS4 without actually playing the previous games but if there was any game that ever existed where you really should play the previous games it is the Metal Gear series. And if you can't play them then watch every cutscene in order on Youtube. They are pretty easy to find.

danootz

I popped my MGS4 disc in yesterday to try and play the difficulty setting after Normal (Big Boss?) and it loaded up the info to the hard drive and then one of the live action videos started (the work out video) as soon as the video seemed to wrap up the image froze on screen and then on the upper left hand side of the screen there was a disc that flashed into an exclamation.

I stopped the game which caused my PS3 to restart and I tried the game again. Same steps, chose difficulty, no loading of info to hard drive this time though, and a video started (the who wants to be a millionaire looking vid). But the same thing happened, I got an error with the flashing disc.

I tried one more time thinking maybe I should skip the video but all I get when I press buttons is the changing channel sequence to new tv shows and the Hideo 2, Hideo 3 blank channels.

There are no noticeable scratches on my disc. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just a game the developers put in to mindf*ck players. Testing my patience.

I'm confused! (I'll have to test LBP today or any other disc because I haven't run one on the PS3 since i played mgs4 months ago. Maybe it really is the a dirty drive or something.

SonComet

Philanthropist said:
The main misconception is that MGS4 contains uncompressed data: it doesn't. The audio format is Dolby Digital 5.1. Some argue it also outputs PCM 7.1, but even in that case it would be lossless, which must not be confused with uncompressed (which is always the ridiculous fanboy argument, from either side). Anyway, there are no references to any kind of lossless sound output either in-game or in the manual, so I'm not so sure about these claims.

In any case, all signs have always pointed at that MGS4 will never be ported. At this point, only hopeless fanboys are still insisting on it. Only a minority of them actually want to play it though. It's been a while since that "debate" became pointless, even if some don't want to let it die already.
You do realize pcm is uncompressed. I've read that it outputs 5.1 pcm, but I've never seen hard proof of that.

jett

D-Member
danootz said:
I popped my MGS4 disc in yesterday to try and play the difficulty setting after Normal (Big Boss?) and it loaded up the info to the hard drive and then one of the live action videos started (the work out video) as soon as the video seemed to wrap up the image froze on screen and then on the upper left hand side of the screen there was a disc that flashed into an exclamation.

I stopped the game which caused my PS3 to restart and I tried the game again. Same steps, chose difficulty, no loading of info to hard drive this time though, and a video started (the who wants to be a millionaire looking vid). But the same thing happened, I got an error with the flashing disc.

I tried one more time thinking maybe I should skip the video but all I get when I press buttons is the changing channel sequence to new tv shows and the Hideo 2, Hideo 3 blank channels.

There are no noticeable scratches on my disc. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just a game the developers put in to mindf*ck players. Testing my patience.

I'm confused! (I'll have to test LBP today or any other disc because I haven't run one on the PS3 since i played mgs4 months ago. Maybe it really is the a dirty drive or something.

Press START to skip the intro.

You should try another game with videos ASAP, or a BD movie. If it's not the disc then your laser is dying.

cantstanja said:
Just like you do in Blue Dragon?

Oh wait... there aren't any mandatory installs for each disc swap.
You do understand that videogames use different game engines, right? "Being on multiple discs" is not what would affect whether installation is required or not. Disc read speed and the streaming technology of the engine are, and it's well within the realm of possibility that MGS 4 would still need installation. It also might not, but other games with different tech aren't evidence either way.

SonComet said:
You do realize pcm is uncompressed. I've read that it outputs 5.1 pcm, but I've never seen hard proof of that.

You do realize that I already explained that I know the difference between uncompressed and lossless and the fact that neither the game menu, the manual or the box mention anything other than Dolby Digital 5.1. If it really outputs PCM, I'm sure we would have lots of opinions and proof already.

Anyway, I guess it's hopeless to try to get this thread to discuss the game again instead of technical aspects and whether you'd prefer multiple discs or installs or if the sound needs 20 GB (lol), even considering it's never going to be ported.

Darkpen

Banned
jett said:
Press START to skip the intro.

You should try another game with videos ASAP, or a BD movie. If it's not the disc then your laser is dying.
you can't skip the intro:

:/

danootz

Darkpen said:
you can't skip the intro:

:/

Well I tried the Blu-Ray disc you get with the PS3. (I don't have any bluray movies)
It plays fine.

It's strange. Cuz I made it through the entire MGS4 without an error. Now it's acting up.

I don't think the laser is going. I just got the PS3 In April or something and I hardly use it to play DVDs or even games. (Been using it as a media center mostly for mp4 files)

SonComet

Philanthropist said:
You do realize that I already explained that I know the difference between uncompressed and lossless and the fact that neither the game menu, the manual or the box mention anything other than Dolby Digital 5.1. If it really outputs PCM, I'm sure we would have lots of opinions and proof already.

Anyway, I guess it's hopeless to try to get this thread to discuss the game again instead of technical aspects and whether you'd prefer multiple discs or installs or if the sound needs 20 GB (lol), even considering it's never going to be ported.

And what you said made no sense. "The audio format is Dolby Digital 5.1. Some argue it also outputs PCM 7.1, but even in that case it would be lossless." Dolby digital is by it's nature a lossy compressed format. Decoding DD and outputting it as PCM doesn't make it lossless.

Darkpen

Banned
danootz said:
Well I tried the Blu-Ray disc you get with the PS3. (I don't have any bluray movies)
It plays fine.

It's strange. Cuz I made it through the entire MGS4 without an error. Now it's acting up.

I don't think the laser is going. I just got the PS3 In April or something and I hardly use it to play DVDs or even games. (Been using it as a media center mostly for mp4 files)
at worst, you could try renting or borrowing someone's MGS4 to test, and if that doesn't work either, well :/

If that DOES work, something's wrong with your disc, and unless you bought MGS4 3 months ago or less, IIRC, that's out of the range of manufacturer's warranty.

Its also entirely possible that maybe you need to delete your MGS4 install and reinstall it.

XTERC

I can test the DD vs. PCM tonight, however what is really being argued here? In game audio samples are not in 'DD' format they are encoded by the game and output in DD format. The cutscenes are not FMV, so they are not streamed in the same way a Blu-Ray is (although the audio could be... I don't know).

I have DD and DTS disabled on my PS3 and have set it to output everything at 5.1 uncompressed. The reason I've done this is beause my amp has issues with DD streams, setting it to PCM solves these issues.

FYI... DD TruHD and DTS MA are lossless formats (irrelavent in this discussion as MGS is just DD).

danootz

Darkpen said:
at worst, you could try renting or borrowing someone's MGS4 to test, and if that doesn't work either, well :/

If that DOES work, something's wrong with your disc, and unless you bought MGS4 3 months ago or less, IIRC, that's out of the range of manufacturer's warranty.

Its also entirely possible that maybe you need to delete your MGS4 install and reinstall it.

I tested MGS4 again. I wiped it down pretty thoroughly. There was some white bits on the inner circle of the disc. The clear part. I didn't imagine anything there would effect playback as the rest of the disk is fine. I had to scrub hard to get it out with my soft shirt.

Seemed to do the trick. It hiccuped once but played without a hitch at least for the next 10-15 mins.

Thanks for the advice.

jett

D-Member
stuburns said:
There are two cutscenes which are video captures from the in-game engine.

There's also the TV cut-scenes at the beginning of the game. I think there's around 50 minutes of FMV total in the game. I wonder if they're encoded at 1080p.

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
There's also the TV cut-scenes at the beginning of the game. I think there's around 50 minutes of FMV total in the game. I wonder if they're encoded at 1080p.
One thing that is very strange about those is they look like crap at the start in the 'TV' mode. But if you leave the game on the main menu they'll play without the TV interface in much nicer quality. I have no idea why.

onijutsu said:
also there is the live action egg cooking scenes.
They should have put that on the box.

isucamper1

Neo Member
jett said:

I remember Ryan Payton saying in one of his podcasts that the videos at the start of the game are not encoded in 1080p, but they are on the bonus blu-ray.

isucamper1 said:
I remember Ryan Payton saying in one of his podcasts that the videos at the start of the game are not encoded in 1080p, but they are on the bonus blu-ray.

Thats true. Resolution was lost so that you can toggle through all the videos using the d-pad.

EDIT: Does any one have a scan of this movie style poster for MGS4? I would love to get it printed online, but the only shots of them are off camera.
http://jonathanpthomas.com/shadowmoses/wp-content/uploads/mgs4_theatre_style_poster_characters_1.jpg

Or i wonder if anyone has photoshoped this image to make it look like it. That would work just as well.
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/5254/521845-2akkxad.jpg

rvy

Banned
I guess I'm pretty late to the party here and I didn't enjoy the party much either.

Disappointed is the best way to put it. I could be here all night writing all the faults I think the game suffers from, but a few people already voiced a lot of my criticisms. Especially Chinner.
On the other hand, I really didn't expect anything out of the experience. The series was over after 2, it was the perfect sequel and the perfect ending.

Here's hoping that, if they decide to continue the series, all the characters and themes from the Solid saga aren't brought back.
I'm talking about a full fledged MG title here, not a PSP spin-off or a next-gen spin-off.

Sylarkiller

Neo Member
I finally finished MGS4, it was one of the first game I got with my PS3 in March.

A few things niggled at me.
First off, what is the incentive to play this game again? I really cannot sit through all those cutscenes again! It was soul destroying. You would play a really good piece of gameplay and think "shit yeah, I am having a blast" and suddenly the game would lead into a 15 minute cutscene and by then your so bored that you would save it after the cutscene and go play something else.

Secondly, why was the ending sequence 1 hour and 15 minutes long? There was no need for that. I felt like Hideo Kojima wanted to wrap everything up in a nice pink bow and give everyone the happy jolly ending.

And thirdly, does anyone else feel that the game would have had a better impact if Snake had died after his long slow crawl to the AI. Had his last act been uploading that virus, I think the impact of the game would have been awesome.
I mean that crawl, with the theme from MGS2 playing slowly in the background, whilst on top of the screen we see everyone fighting to give Snake more time then he uploads that virus and dies, I would have been chocked up and it would have been amazing.

Instead to tie up the liquid angle we get a fist fight that was okay, it was pretty good how they used all the music from the previous games but it felt very tacked on.

Sylarkiller said:
First off, what is the incentive to play this game again? I really cannot sit through all those cutscenes again! It was soul destroying. You would play a really good piece of gameplay and think "shit yeah, I am having a blast" and suddenly the game would lead into a 15 minute cutscene and by then your so bored that you would save it after the cutscene and go play something else.

Yeah, there are some long cutscenes, but to be honest the only boring ones are in the first two acts. As for the incentive, I can't reply to that with nice words.

Secondly, why was the ending sequence 1 hour and 15 minutes long? There was no need for that.
Yes, there was.

And thirdly, does anyone else feel that the game would have had a better impact if Snake had died after his long slow crawl to the AI. Had his last act been uploading that virus, I think the impact of the game would have been awesome.

Uh, not really.

I mean that crawl, with the theme from MGS2 playing slowly in the background, whilst on top of the screen we see everyone fighting to give Snake more time then he uploads that virus and dies, I would have been chocked up and it would have been amazing.

There would still be something left to do, so no.

Instead to tie up the liquid angle we get a fist fight that was okay, it was pretty good how they used all the music from the previous games but it felt very tacked on.
Hell, no. That fight is pretty much the highest gameplay moment in the game.

rvy

Banned
Sylarkiller said:
He should have died, yes, but not there. The ending would be much, much better if he had pulled the trigger. None of that wedding and Big Boss bullshit.

Either that or the "original ending".

IrishNinja

to argue with a friend, i went back & watched the ending again after getting BB emblem. the part where
Big Boss shows up is indeed amazing, and by my count (was drinking by now, in celebration of BBE, natch), the first twenty minutes to half hour or so - right up to the salute - is amazing.
i think if itdve ended there, most people woudlve had a much better take on the ending itself.

that, and if, you know,
either raiden, johnny or meryl
ate it in the ending. it was kinda crazy that everyone walked away from all that shit.

rvy

Banned
JonStark said:
What is it ?
Snake and Otacon turn themselves in for the acts of "terrorism" committed over the years.
Or at least that's what Kojima said he wanted to do in the first place, but was rejected by the development team and Konami executives.

Darkpen

Banned
Yes, he should have died, but not there. IMO, he should have either died via execution as was one of the previous ideas for an ending for the game before his co-producers shot it down, or he should have died when it looked like he was dying when Naomi's video was ending.

IIRC, they don't turn themselves in. Various governments accuse them for being responsible for acts of terrorism, and they're executed in whatever manner.

End song would have made more sense :(

The cutscenes do drag on for pretty long, though, more than MGS2 or 3, but I think they're entertaining on the first playthrough.

As for reasons for replay value, they have a bunch of secret guns you can unlock, along with camos and gear. Other than that, it has its own pre-trophy rewards.

Irishninja: Its The Boss Extreme, not Big Boss Extreme. Everyone gets this wrong every time. Its kind of annoying.

Shikashi said:
Snake and Otacon turn themselves in for the acts of "terrorism" committed over the years.
Or at least that's what Kojima said he wanted to do in the first place, but was rejected by the development team and Konami executives.

Oh okay thanks !

IrishNinja

Darkpen said:
Irishninja: Its The Boss Extreme, not Big Boss Extreme. Everyone gets this wrong every time. Its kind of annoying.

shit. ive been corrected on this before...you think after all that work (i think i ended up with like 4:17? not phenomenal, but good enough for government work), id remember. you're right, my bad.

rvy

Banned
They should just announce a ***tence version of the game. We need a cutscene viewer, we need to be able to play any act without it requiring a tedious installation (yes, it's 2 minutes, but, for people who like to just go to whichever act and try out new things, it gets pretty boring and kills an unfortunate HDD), we need more camos/face camo and we definitely need all those extras that Substance and Subsistence had.

Make it happen, Kojima!

Darkpen

Banned
I wish they masked the install with forced cutscenes, and they didn't. It pisses me off.

Shikashi said:
They should just announce a ***tence version of the game. We need a cutscene viewer, we need to be able to play any act without it requiring a tedious installation (yes, it's 2 minutes, but, for people who like to just go to whichever act and try out new things, it gets pretty boring and kills an unfortunate HDD), we need more camos/face camo and we definitely need all those extras that Substance and Subsistence had.

Make it happen, Kojima!
As suggested by a GAFer a long time ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senescence

Darkpen said:
I wish they masked the install with forced cutscenes, and they didn't. It pisses me off.
Actually, that would've made sense, and given the briefing sequences some more meaning, at the cost of interactivity via Mk. II but hey.

Darkpen said:
As suggested by a GAFer a long time ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senescence
Also makes sense, and sounds like 'Sense'. I'd be for this, but I'm burnt out on MGS4 now unless they seriously put in substantially new content.

Sylarkiller said:

How could it be tacked on? Every single MGS has ended with a one on one fist fight, why should this one be any different?

Darkpen

Banned
Shikashi said:
Forced cutscenes of what? I don't think there's anything they could do besides putting a cigarette in Snakes' mouth.

It fits really well actually. Nice one to whoever came up with it.
I don't know, the briefings? The fact that the game actually makes no sense if you don't watch the first briefing or if you've been following the previews for MGS4 up to its release is a huge detriment to comprehending the story, and it was taken out because they wanted to throw you in the game faster.

Worse yet, you can only view it through the main menu. Unless you actively seek it out, you won't ever know about its existence.

So i finally got a PS3 and played this and i'm slightly dissapointed. It felt like MGS2, the whole game just slowly went off the rails.

Some parts were awesome, all of act 1 and 4, snake crawling near the end.. but other times it was so crap. Act 3 only had 30 mins of gameplay for me, same with Act 5. The scene where Meryl and Johnny were fighting off the soldiers was so so so bad i felt embarrassed for Hideo, and it was right in the middle of the most dramatic part in the game.

I won't even start on the story. I just wish there were more moments when it played like typical Metar Gear, but the magic was hardly ever there.

Sylarkiller

Neo Member
freethought said:
How could it be tacked on? Every single MGS has ended with a one on one fist fight, why should this one be any different?

It felt tacked on because in my opinion the game should have ended after the slow crawl, that felt the climax of a movie to me.

For example in The Rock, Nicholas Cage destroys the last chip and crawls out and sets off the green smoke, that was the climax of that movie, they see the green smoke and the jet accidentaly releases the rocket. Everything about that was epic.

And Snake crawling and uploading the virus, maybe Liquid running to stop him and too late Snake uploads the virus. Something like that should have been the way it went.

Instead we see Snake near death and Liquid "magically" able to get Snake into a position to fight him, so of course we have the fight. Which I have no problem with HOW it was done, I enjoyed the fight but I felt it was unnecessary, they could have tied up the Liquid angle any number of other ways.

And I would argue about all MGS games finishing in a fist fight, the second game ended in a sword battle but that just semantics.

My entire sentiment of this game was of just dissapointment, it felt like it ran out of steam and was an excuse to tie up a lot of loose ends so they padded out the game as much as possible. There was flashes of brilliance but in the end most of it was wasted.

Darkpen

Banned
Seriously? Game had me by my balls, both story and gameplay wise, when I first played it.

As for your Act 3 complaint, its a known fact that they were in fact planning on letting you traverse the underground sewers in conjunction with above-ground, during both the stalking and post-raven fight, where you see them go down the manhole, so basically we lost at least 30 minutes to an hour's worth of playtime.

But seriously, the magic was there, at least for everyone who was there day 1.
Sylarkiller said:
It felt tacked on because in my opinion the game should have ended after the slow crawl, that felt the climax of a movie to me.

For example in The Rock, Nicholas Cage destroys the last chip and crawls out and sets off the green smoke, that was the climax of that movie, they see the green smoke and the jet accidentaly releases the rocket. Everything about that was epic.

And Snake crawling and uploading the virus, maybe Liquid running to stop him and too late Snake uploads the virus. Something like that should have been the way it went.

Instead we see Snake near death and Liquid "magically" able to get Snake into a position to fight him, so of course we have the fight. Which I have no problem with HOW it was done, I enjoyed the fight but I felt it was unnecessary, they could have tied up the Liquid angle any number of other ways.

And I would argue about all MGS games finishing in a fist fight, the second game ended in a sword battle but that just semantics.

My entire sentiment of this game was of just dissapointment, it felt like it ran out of steam and was an excuse to tie up a lot of loose ends so they padded out the game as much as possible. There was flashes of brilliance but in the end most of it was wasted.
Again, I disagree. You need to be more specific about where you'd want Snake to actually die: before Naomi's video, or after, when he starts to look like he's dying, and you hear Otacon's voice?

Regardless, I disagree with your sentiments.

IrishNinja

freethought said:

wait, i get MGS 1. 2....the sword fight with Solidus? and 3's was guns but that was some touching shit.

rvy

Banned
Darkpen said:
I don't know, the briefings? The fact that the game actually makes no sense if you don't watch the first briefing or if you've been following the previews for MGS4 up to its release is a huge detriment to comprehending the story, and it was taken out because they wanted to throw you in the game faster.

Worse yet, you can only view it through the main menu. Unless you actively seek it out, you won't ever know about its existence.
I get what you're saying, but for further playthroughs it wouldn't improve the situation, you'd just grow tired of the briefings.

The first briefing not being forced on the player is very weird though, it's like they forgot how important it was.
jsnepo said:
Where did you guys get your information about the original ending of MGS4?
Interviews.

Darkpen

Banned
IrishNinja said:
wait, i get MGS 1. 2....the sword fight with Solidus? and 3's was guns but that was some touching shit.
The entire idea and purpose behind MGS4's fistfight ending is threefold: 1) as homage to the way each game has ended, 2) a technical and story throwback to MGS1, which leads into the third point: Snake's old, Kojima's old, series is old, therefore the game plays like an older, more archaic (and difficult) game.

It sacrifices the climactic nature of the fight if you fuck up (though its actually interesting to press Quit when you get the Continue screen at that fight), but in exchange you're reminded of the annoying that fight with Liquid was, or just how old games used to be like.

Sylarkiller

Neo Member
Darkpen said:
Seriously? Game had me by my balls, both story and gameplay wise, when I first played it.

As for your Act 3 complaint, its a known fact that they were in fact planning on letting you traverse the underground sewers in conjunction with above-ground, during both the stalking and post-raven fight, where you see them go down the manhole, so basically we lost at least 30 minutes to an hour's worth of playtime.

But seriously, the magic was there, at least for everyone who was there day 1.
Again, I disagree. You need to be more specific about where you'd want Snake to actually die: before Naomi's video, or after, when he starts to look like he's dying, and you hear Otacon's voice?

Regardless, I disagree with your sentiments.

In all honestly, I wasn't there Day 1 because I didn't have a PS3, but the day I got a PS3 I bought MGS4 with it.
The first Metal Gear Solid games was, until recently, my number 1 game off all time.
When I purchased a PS2, it was the day Z.O.E. was released with the MGS2 demo and I played that to death, and I had MGS2 pre-ordered for the longest time and played that to death.

But I found that the game did not have the magic the previous games had, like I said flashes of genius.
Laughing Octopus fight was amazing and really really well done.
Snake running through the streets during those battles was good fun, tracking the footsteps was a bit tedious but it was new for the series so I went with it.
The return to Shadow Moses again was just amazing, Snake hearing the voices from the first game was spooky and there was a tinge of sadness to it all.

As for Snake's death, it should have been before the video from Naomi. His death should have been right after he uploaded the virus, but I know people will disagree so its just my opinion. Here is how I would have finished the game (and I know people will object):
Snake is crawling down the corridor, the microwaves pushing him to his knees, death is near, he coughs a few times bringing up blood, he enters the room holding the AI and crawls towards the console. Suddenly we cut to Liquid running down towards the AI room, he punches the code to enter the corridor and the microwaves shut off. He starts heading down the corridor.
Snake starts to upload the virus, he turns to see Liquid still hurtling down the corridor towards him, Snake takes out a cigarette and lights it and then as the virus is uploaded, the systems are under Otacons control and we see Otacon start up the microwaves and lock the corridor. Liquid sees whats happening to late and Snake just points at him, smiles and says "bang" and the doors close.
Snake dies at this point.

Again my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom