• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Darkpen said:
The gameplay:cutscene ratio was out of whack, even in comparison to MGS3

Huh? MGS3 has probably the least amount of cutscenes in the entire series.

I think MGS1 had the perfect balance of gameplay and story. MGS2 and 4 were heavy on the latter, while MGS3 was pretty light.

Not that I'm complaining, I've always played MGS for it's story first and foremost, so the more cutscenes the better. :D

Alcor

Neo Member
So, the "In memory of a patriot" wallpaper at the very start of this thread isn't accessible. It's the one I really wanted, and it's the only one that apparently isn't actually on the internet (broken link, and the directory folder doesn't contain any wallpaper with the number 4 at the start, which is that one).

Can someone fix the broken link? I'd really like that wallpaper -- it's neat! :)

Erebus

Alcor said:
So, the "In memory of a patriot" wallpaper at the very start of this thread isn't accessible. It's the one I really wanted, and it's the only one that apparently isn't actually on the internet (broken link, and the directory folder doesn't contain any wallpaper with the number 4 at the start, which is that one).

Can someone fix the broken link? I'd really like that wallpaper -- it's neat! :)

Well, until the OP fixes the link this should keep you happy:

http://i32.tinypic.com/zton6.jpg

Oh and welcome to NeoGAF, by the way.

Acid08

Banned
BAAAAWWWWWW CUTSCENES BBBBAAAAAWWWWWWWWW

If you honestly didn't go into this game expecting ridiculous amounts of cutscenes, what the fuck were you expecting? It's weird to still see that as a complaint people have.

I just finished it again. Weird how the mind remembers some things differently than what they are, as I'd swear some cutscenes had different camera angles, particularly at the very end. Not saying that I liked it better or worse, it's just that I probably idealised them after a while and I created a different memory of them.

Probably a different opinion than many here, but I liked acts 3 to 5 better than 1 and 2. I can only understand the hate for act 3 if you're a third person shooter player, because it was great and still refreshing to play again. 4 was a delicious tribute to fans, incredible stuff. And I was amazed again with 5's end fight.

On a rather unrelated note, I find funny the parallelisms between Prison Break's fourth and final season and MGS4. Whether they're intentional or not, there are some coincidences, particularly the flashbacks of previous seasons and returning characters from season 1, and even one of the main characters had the same side of their face burnt. There are probably more, but whatever.

Oh, and truly great thread. Can't stop going through the first posts again from time to time.

How many gigs did Metal Gear Solid 4 actually take up in UNCOMPRESSED form? I have been told, strictly by Sony fanboys, that the game took up all 50GBs of a dual-layered Blu-ray disc.

However, I am led to believe that the game only used up around 30GBs of uncompressed space, according to reasonable users I have spoken to throughout video game forums.

The reason why I am asking this question is because they (the fanboys) always use this argument as a reason why MGS4 could never be ported to the Xbox 360. They say that Konami would have to split the game up into too many DVD9s (6 discs total).

With the 30GBs of uncompressed data, it would actually be 4 DVD9s. And once the data is compressed, it would only take 2-3 DVD9s. That would hardly be a problem. When it comes to switching discs, well, let's just say it sure beats mandatory installs.

BTW- I already own a PS3 and MGS4 (and have beaten it), so it's not like I'm some butthurt Xbox 360-only owner still wishing for the game to be ported. It's just that, if it did happen, I'd be willing to double-dip; ESPECIALLY if a Master Chief costume somehow made its way in the 360 version...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
cantstanja said:
How many gigs did Metal Gear Solid 4 actually take up in UNCOMPRESSED form? I have been told, strictly by Sony fanboys, that the game took up all 50GBs of a dual-layered Blu-ray disc.

However, I am led to believe that the game only used up around 30GBs of uncompressed space, according to reasonable users I have spoken to throughout video game forums.

The reason why I am asking this question is because they (the fanboys) always use this argument as a reason why MGS4 could never be ported to the Xbox 360. They say that Konami would have to split the game up into too many DVD9s (6 discs total).

With the 30GBs of uncompressed data, it would actually be 4 DVD9s. And once the data is compressed, it would only take 2-3 DVD9s. That would hardly be a problem. When it comes to switching discs, well, let's just say it sure beats mandatory installs.

BTW- I already own a PS3 and MGS4 (and have beaten it), so it's not like I'm some butthurt Xbox 360-only owner still wishing for the game to be ported. It's just that, if it did happen, I'd be willing to double-dip; ESPECIALLY if a Master Chief costume somehow made its way in the 360 version...

id double dip for mgo. but rising makes a mgs4 360 pretty unlikely

man i hope rising has a new mgo on it

cantstanja said:

The main misconception is that MGS4 contains uncompressed data: it doesn't. The audio format is Dolby Digital 5.1. Some argue it also outputs PCM 7.1, but even in that case it would be lossless, which must not be confused with uncompressed (which is always the ridiculous fanboy argument, from either side). Anyway, there are no references to any kind of lossless sound output either in-game or in the manual, so I'm not so sure about these claims.

In any case, all signs have always pointed at that MGS4 will never be ported. At this point, only hopeless fanboys are still insisting on it. Only a minority of them actually want to play it though. It's been a while since that "debate" became pointless, even if some don't want to let it die already.

jett

D-Member
cantstanja said:

who gives a shit

WTFing

Banned
cantstanja said:

BTW- I already own a PS3 and MGS4 (and have beaten it), so it's not like I'm some butthurt Xbox 360-only owner still wishing for the game to be ported. It's just that, if it did happen, I'd be willing to double-dip; ESPECIALLY if a Master Chief costume somehow made its way in the 360 version*...

*- lol :lol NEVER! It's funny when 360 fanboys still praying and hoping for METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS.

Switching discs? Like the X-Ecutioners? :lol

Talon

WTFing said:
*- lol :lol NEVER! It's funny when 360 fanboys still praying and hoping for METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS.

Switching discs? Like the X-Ecutioners? :lol
So you don't think any reasonable 360 owners that don't have a PS3 would like to see MGS4 on their console of choice? Some people just own one console.

I don't see why so many take such hard offense to the idea of a multiplatform release. I can somewhat understand if it's backlash from assholes that call a game "shit" just because it's on console X, but nobody has to dip to the fanboys' levels.

WTFing

Banned
Talon- said:
So you don't think any reasonable 360 owners that don't have a PS3 would like to see MGS4 on their console of choice? Some people just own one console.

I don't see why so many take such hard offense to the idea of a multiplatform release. I can somewhat understand if it's backlash from assholes that call a game "shit" just because it's on console X, but nobody has to dip to the fanboys' levels.
I think that any reasonable watch owner that don't have a PS3 would like to see MGS4 on their watch of choice. ;) Yes, I know that some people just own a single watch, others own many, and some people don't.
I was just messing with the xbot I was responding to, nothing serious.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Darkpen

Banned
kbear said:
is it ok if i read wiki summaries of mgs 2 and 3 and then play mgs4?
NO

good god no

you need to atleast play 2 if you want to keep your head screwed on by the end of 4. I'm sure you could find it for cheap at $5 or less used, Substance might be more.

cantstanja said:
They say that Konami would have to split the game up into too many DVD9s (6 discs total). With the 30GBs of uncompressed data, it would actually be 4 DVD9s. And once the data is compressed, it would only take 2-3 DVD9s.
DVDs on 360 have a large area reserved for security, giving them a capacity of about 7GBs. Even the real-sized MGS 4 would take 5 discs. As mentioned, there's probably already plenty of compression used, but even if you could get benefit that way, you'd lose it and more because each disc would also have to include all the data that's shared across the whole game. It would almost certainly be on more discs than any previous 360 game.

cantstanja said:
When it comes to switching discs, well, let's just say it sure beats mandatory installs.
Who's to say there wouldn't be both? The game installs on PS3 because it can't stream everything from disc, but contrary to popular belief the 360's DVD drive really isn't any faster. You might have to perform smaller installs every time you switch discs.

kbear

Darkpen said:
NO

good god no

you need to atleast play 2 if you want to keep your head screwed on by the end of 4. I'm sure you could find it for cheap at $5 or less used, Substance might be more.
i only have a non-bc ps3

WTFing said:
I think that any reasonable watch owner that don't have a PS3 would like to see MGS4 on their watch of choice. ;) Yes, I know that some people just own a single watch, others own many, and some people don't.
I was just messing with the xbot I was responding to, nothing serious.

67us6c.jpg

Liabe Brave said:
Who's to say there wouldn't be both? The game installs on PS3 because it can't stream everything from disc, but contrary to popular belief the 360's DVD drive really isn't any faster. You might have to perform smaller installs every time you switch discs.
Just like you do in Blue Dragon?

Oh wait... there aren't any mandatory installs for each disc swap.

BeeDog

Talon- said:

Tell that to the xbots that unleash massive rage as soon as some PS3-only gamer ask if there's a possibility for a PS3 version of even the most miniscule Live Arcade game. The fact is, fanboys with strong afflictions to their "side" are simply bummed when others ask about potential ports, this fact shouldn't have escaped you on GAF by now.

Ashour

Darkpen said:
NO

good god no

plus MGS3 is the best MGS IMO, I'm sure someone around you owns a PS2 try borrowing it.

Talon

BeeDog said:
Tell that to the xbots that unleash massive rage as soon as some PS3-only gamer ask if there's a possibility for a PS3 version of even the most miniscule Live Arcade game. The fact is, fanboys with strong afflictions to their "side" are simply bummed when others ask about potential ports, this fact shouldn't have escaped you on GAF by now.
So since they act like dicks it's necessary for reasonable posters to fling shit back at them?

It seems silly to me to give fanboys of any ilk any sort of attention. Don't waste your energy: ignore them.

Just keep in mind, these are games that must be experienced. Go get MGS1 off PSN, and buy a cheap PS2 and get MGS2 and 3 for cheap.

Or you could watch a Let's Play and hold the controller pretending to play :x

How About No said:
Just keep in mind, these are games that must be experienced. Go get MGS1 off PSN, and buy a cheap PS2 and get MGS2 and 3 for cheap.

Or you could watch a Let's Play and hold the controller pretending to play :x

Pretty much this.

The main misconception is that MGS4 contains uncompressed data: it doesn't.

This too. There are numerous links about this, the 7.1 audio, etc.

And the port wishful thinking is old shit.
I want to play Splinter Cell, and I don't have a 360 (nor plan to get one). I don't hop into threads and speculate on if a PS3 port is coming. Hell, I wanted a PS2 version of Otogi and never got that or Panzer Dragoon Orta. Get over it.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Does MGS4 have image quality issues? I was playing it on a 46 inch Bravia and noticed a pattern of almost translucent squares during certain cut scenes along with some slight dithering, I believe. It might have been during actual gameplay too. I imagine that it's due to compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom