• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkpen

Banned
jsnepo said:
I don't really care about their background. And for me, it's something Kojima could've gone away with. He didn't really have to explain everything to connect every single detail the games presented. And I don't miss Natasha. I even often forget about her since she's more of an optional character in MGS. You can actually play through the whole game without even talking to her in the codec.
So basically you're of the position that MGS is a standalone game, and should have never gotten any story sequels, ever, since you seem to deem such little importance in minor characters like Nastasha and character backgrounds. By that logic, we could have had the most shallow characters and story development, with an assortment of stereotypical cultural rainbow of a cast, as long as they all stuck with their roles and had some mildly entertaining dialogue, and you would have been ok with that. Alright.

jsnepo

Darkpen said:
So basically you're of the position that MGS is a standalone game, and should have never gotten any story sequels, ever, since you seem to deem such little importance in minor characters like Nastasha and character backgrounds. By that logic, we could have had the most shallow characters and story development, with an assortment of stereotypical cultural rainbow of a cast, as long as they all stuck with their roles and had some mildly entertaining dialogue, and you would have been ok with that. Alright.

Nope. When I say background, I mean the small details like... well... the accent. I don't know why you came to the conclusion that I don't want sequels. I just like the accent and don't care about Nastasha. Please don't hurt me. :lol

Darkpen

Banned
jsnepo said:
Nope. When I say background, I mean the small details like... well... the accent. I don't know why you came to the conclusion that I don't want sequels. I just like the accent and don't care about Nastasha. Please don't hurt me. :lol
So you like culturally stereotypical characteristics that validate your narrow view of the breadth of people that someone like Mei Ling represents, just to justify your desire for what you percieve as a charismatic asset to what defines her as a Chinese-American. Ok.

my two main critic points of TS:

- Gameplay: 1:1 Levels, item-positioning, Enemies etc. etc. from MGS1 ... combined with the movement/gameplay possibilities of MGS2 or items like the tranquilizer gun.
-> pretty much ruins the complete (sneaking) gameplay (still a fun game obviously, but... no, just, no). A full DS1/2 button-layout on a gc pad was also awkward imo.

- the over the top cutscenes. I don't care if Kojima approved them, I just can't stand Snake jumping back and throwing a grenade (!) at some steel girder flying towards him because of an explosion. The grenade explodes on impact and saves Snake, yay.
All in in slowmotion and what would be like 0,3 seconds in real time.

I just think the "normal" MGS games have over the top cutscenes, but Kojima somehow nails it in them, so it still is mostly believable inside the MGS-Universe (plus Snake is not a Cyborg Ninja and why he has not any of these cool moves in TS gameplay anyway, i.e. the Ninja-fight?).
another example:
Raiden breakdancing some of the mechs around in MGS4 is not physically possible in the real word, but besides him being a cyborg, it just LOOKs believable (and therefor "cool"). Kinda like Hollywood-movieaction, most of the stunts/moves would i.e. kill the hero in reality (like because of impact-force etc.), but you don't mind that during the movie because when you not think about the physics, you may just suspect it to be possible in reality under the movie-circumstances. (except when the movie does the same "mistakes" like TS did).

I have to say though, that it is a I-played-the-"real"-game thing. You have a different view about it, because you notice these attached cutscenes or changed gameplay-mechanics and automatically rate them as stupid.
I think this is similar to opinions about Hollywood remakes like the The Ring.

For me, TS is a failure and not what I would like to see as a remake or DC of a game. But that's not automatically true for someone who starts with TS instead of MGS1. If you can get over the graphic-difference (btw. , that was not a good effort, the earlier released MGS2 on PS2 looked WAY better), I would still suggest playing the PS1-Version.

btw:
as I'm new here, I give you something quick to put me in a category :p
I played MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4 on their release dates

best story&characters:
- MGS2

best gameplay-mechanics:
- MGS3

best handling&variety:
- MGS4

best story-development:
- MGS1 (is just builds up and up, you have a nice climatic ending part etc.)

and I like all four ^^

jsnepo

Nope. I just didn't pay too much attention and glory to Mei Ling saying she was born and raised in America. I mean I'd rather Kojima just change or forget that line instead to keep her accent which I prefer. Same thing can be applied with Liquid Ocelot saying that Big Boss was already in his late 50s when the clones were created... then MGS3 happened.

By the way, which is canon now? The digital graphic novel of MGS2 or MGS2 itself? Because as far as I know, in the graphic novel, it is Snake that rescued Emma. Am I correct?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Darkpen said:
Mei Ling's TTS voice is far superior.

Yeah... NO.

Mei Ling's accent in the original added to her character. Yes, it's out of place given her background but I wouldn't have Mei Ling any other way.

Darkpen

Banned
jsnepo said:
Nope. I just didn't pay too much attention and glory to Mei Ling saying she was born and raised in America. I mean I'd rather Kojima change or forget that line instead just to keep her accent which I prefer. Same thing can be applied with Liquid Ocelot saying that Big Boss was already in his late 50s when the clones were created... then MGS3 happened.
No, the difference here is you're retconning something that was a technical fluke in how Kim Mai Guest was directed during he original recording sessions, in comparison to actual plot retconning that occured starting with MGS3. You seem to forget that MGS1 wasn't voiced only in English, unlike the RE series. Its a pipedream that never was, nor will be.

Darkpen

Banned
TheSeks said:
Yeah... NO.

Mei Ling's accent in the original added to her character. Yes, it's out of place given her background but I wouldn't have Mei Ling any other way.
Are you kidding me? Her original recording sounds terrible. It doesn't hold a candle to the TTS recording. You're listening with a rose-tinted sound-aid.

Now, Snake, on the other hand, is a different story. In ways, Snake's character in the original VS TTS is fundamentally different in both voice and behavior/development. Mei Ling isn't so fortunate as to have as much space to play in as Snake does.

jsnepo

Darkpen said:
No, the difference here is you're retconning something that was a technical fluke in how Kim Mai Guest was directed during he original recording sessions, in comparison to actual plot retconning that occured starting with MGS3. You seem to forget that MGS1 wasn't voiced only in English, unlike the RE series. Its a pipedream that never was, nor will be.

What's so bad about retaining a technical fluke to add character or in your words dimension to a character? It's not really that bad.

I have a regret for mgs4...

In mgs 1, I loved how part of the story was told by many codec calls and codec characters... But in mgs 4 the codec is sooooo empty....

(And I prefered old-school codec )
mgs_codec.jpg

jsnepo

JonStark said:
I have a regret for mgs4...

In mgs 1, I loved how part of the story was told by many codec calls and codec characters... But in mgs 4 the codec is sooooo empty....

(And I prefered old-school codec )
http://www.xenocoder.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/mgs_codec.jpg

I guess it's because a lot of people (including me) hated the VERY long and out of paced codec sequences in MGS2 so Kojima decided not to put much of the story being told through the codec. I do wish MGS4 had some codec moments like MGS.

Darkpen

Banned
JonStark: Totally. MGS4's sheer lack of codec calls was a major disappointment. It was one of the aspects of the MGS games that I loved the most, and to find that it was practically neutered to the state it was left in was disappointing

jsnepo said:
What's so bad about retaining a technical fluke to add character or in your words dimension to a character? It's not really that bad.
Did you remotely read what I wrote? Did you? Look harder. If Kojima was fluent in English, or was a western developer, your case would be arguable, but seeing as how he is neither, you're asking for something that would have never happened in anyone's smallest of expectations.

You also seem to not remember the volume of codec calls there were in MGS3, either. It wasn't just MGS2. People seem to forget that.

jsnepo

Darkpen said:
Did you remotely read what I wrote? Did you? Look harder. If Kojima was fluent in English, or was a western developer, your case would be arguable, but seeing as how he is neither, you're asking for something that would have never happened in anyone's smallest of expectations.

I did. And I asked what's so bad about keeping it.

Darkpen

Banned
jsnepo said:
I did. And I asked what's so bad about keeping it.
Its not a question of whether it'd be so good or bad. Its an issue of "why." There is no real reason for her to retain her crappy accent, mostly considering that Kojima probably doesn't really care about the fact that there was a flaw that people actually latched on to. Doesn't really seem to be the man's style, and even if he were aware, it'd only be of his domestic audience, where in which there was no accent flaw, at least none worth noting.

Its ultimately a non-issue that was dealt with, and there's nothing you can do about it.

The most Kojima has expressed his appreciation of the English cast is Hayter's presence as a norm, along with Quinton Flynn's performance as Raiden over his Japanese counterpart.

jsnepo

Darkpen said:
Its not a question of whether it'd be so good or bad. Its an issue of "why." There is no real reason for her to retain her crappy accent, mostly considering that Kojima probably doesn't really care about the fact that there was a flaw that people actually latched on to. Doesn't really seem to be the man's style, and even if he were aware, it'd only be of his domestic audience, where in which there was no accent flaw, at least none worth noting.

Its ultimately a non-issue that was dealt with, and there's nothing you can do about it.

The most Kojima has expressed his appreciation of the English cast is Hayter's presence as a norm, along with Quinton Flynn's performance as Raiden over his Japanese counterpart.

Because like I said, it added character to her? It's probably nothing to you because you seem to hate it. Anyway, I just said I prefer Mei Ling and Naomi to have their accents retained.

Darkpen

Banned
jsnepo said:
Because like I said, it added character to her? It's probably nothing to you because you seem to hate it. Anyway, I just said I prefer Mei Ling and Naomi to have their accents retained.
See? That wasn't so hard. After you cut all of the bullshit, you come down to a very simple opinion that I disagree with, but don't really care either way.

jsnepo

Darkpen said:
See? That wasn't so hard. After you cut all of the bullshit, you come down to a very simple opinion that I disagree with, but don't really care either way.

Which is what I said in the first place. :lol

Darkpen

Banned
jsnepo said:
Which is what I said in the first place. :lol
No, the difference is that before, you were throwing in a bunch of nonsensical qualifiers and questions that had no answers. Saying that you liked Naomi and Mei Ling's original voices (which I disagree with) is a more brief argument.

jsnepo

Darkpen said:
No, the difference is that before, you were throwing in a bunch of nonsensical qualifiers and questions that had no answers. Saying that you liked Naomi and Mei Ling's original voices (which I disagree with) is a more brief argument.

To support what I call an opinion. It doesn't matter to me really what you think of it or if you disagree. But somehow, it does to you. Odd.

Hm thanks for the feedback. I think I will play the "original" MGS1 sometime in the future (Maybe after completing MGS4). But I think TTS isn't that bad if you don't know the original. I just wanted to start with MGS2 anyways, but I was forced to play them in order :D

jsnepo

Tryckser said:
Hm thanks for the feedback. I think I will play the "original" MGS1 sometime in the future (Maybe after completing MGS4). But I think TTS isn't that bad if you don't know the original. I just wanted to start with MGS2 anyways, but I was forced to play them in order :D

Yup. Twin Snakes isn't that bad if it's your first time in the series.

Darkpen

Banned
jsnepo said:
To support what I call an opinion. It doesn't matter to me really what you think of it or if you disagree. But somehow, it does to you. Odd.
You put out an opinion on the internet, you're bound to get a response. Also, your sentence does not make sense.

Really doesn't.

But seriously though, stereotype Mei Ling voice with bad audio compression is lame as hell.

jsnepo

Darkpen said:
You put out an opinion on the internet, you're bound to get a response. Also, your sentence does not make sense.

Really doesn't.

But seriously though, stereotype Mei Ling voice with bad audio compression is lame as hell.

You asked so I answered. I have no problem with that. I wasn't even complaining. And sorry about the sentence structure. :lol

I still prefer the accent. And Naomi losing her accent in Twin Snakes made her sound monotonous IMHO.

SolidusDave said:
For me, TS is a failure and not what I would like to see as a remake or DC of a game. But that's not automatically true for someone who starts with TS instead of MGS1. If you can get over the graphic-difference (btw. , that was not a good effort, the earlier released MGS2 on PS2 looked WAY better), I would still suggest playing the PS1-Version.

Bolded the biaised part :lol

MGS2 :
mgscreen0057lp.jpg

VS

TS :
ME0000320285_2.jpg

Okay, TS had framerate issues.

But IMO

MGS2<TS<MGS3 is more objective.

jsnepo

I prefer the visuals of MGS2 to TTS. I don't know why. It's probably because when I played MGS2 and TTS, the PS2 is connected using component cable and the Gamecube using composite.

Roto13

Look at the TS and 2 character closeups. 2 looks way better than TS.

But I'd still rather play TS than the original version of 1.

JonStark said:

well, you are right if you want to compare the surroundings (both have bad/"no" textures anyway), but just look at the character models in each game, i.e. Solid Snake.
and not only the model itself, facial animations etc. are better in MGS2.
This may mostly show in the (realtime) cutscenes of course, but for me it was a very big difference in the overall visual quality of these games (I would argue that stuff like new effects/shadows etc, rain/water-effects, object-destructibility, tons of Rays, bigger backgrounds, more soldiers/characters and so on are a plus for the visual appeal of MGS2, too. But some of that is due to it being different games obviously, can't just include a second Rex in the remake ^^)

rvy

Banned
TTS has lower polygon character models than MGS 2 and framerate issues, it's not an opinion that it looks worse than MGS 2, it's a fact.

Anyway, I downloaded the GENE + MEME + SCENE pack yesterday, it's so hard to get into a Survival match. I tried to join 10 different teams and was kicked out 10 times, why are people such assholes and ranking whores? I had to create my own team to play the damn thing. Pretty cool mode none the less, new characters are nice too.

Is there a PAL MGO GAF clan? I'd like to play against/with some of you guys.

ilikeme

I don't know if I like this game. It's like I hate half of it but I kinda think the other half is genious. I don't know what to think. :/

The FUCK. The thread was bumped so a few of you can argue about the ending/story/which act sucks? REALLY?

Anyway. For those who dislike the ending, try to think about it with one of my points of view. Maybe Snake
DID pull the trigger and seeing BB was the tell tale sign that he is indeed "on the other side" and they were waiting for Zero. So BB IS dead and Snake is now dead as well

It may not make the most sense, but it's one way to think of it.

SCReuter

JonStark said:

MGS2 :
[Sons of Liberty]

VS

TS :
[Twin Snakes]

Twin Snakes has serious frame rate issues considering what little is ever actually going on onscreen. Sons of Liberty in comparison is silk smooth at all times. Heck, even when there's over three dozen characters on screen, you may experience a little tearing but that's it.

I also want to say that Metal Gear Solid 2's interiors are generally more detailed. Think back to the tanker, with all the reflective surfaces and such.

SCReuter said:
Twin Snakes has serious frame rate issues considering what little is ever actually going on onscreen. Sons of Liberty in comparison is silk smooth at all times. Heck, even when there's over three dozen characters on screen, you may appearance a little screen tearing but that's it.

I also want to say that Metal Gear Solid 2's interiors are generally more detailed. Think back to the tanker, with all the reflective surfaces and such.

I agree with some points argued here. I still think that progressive scan and better antialiasing made the experience smoother to me, but I didn't intend to make a debate about the two games ;)
It was just my opinion about what I remember (maybe I would be disapointed if replaying TS :( )

KAOz

Short bus special
Does anyone know if there is any site out there that has shitloads of Shinkawas art for Metal Gear Solid 4? Not any of the ones of Snake infront of GEKKOS and stuff, but more "proper" like the cover to US Special Edition and so on.

Really need to find something like that. <_<

Darkpen said:
Also, your sentence does not make sense.

Really doesn't.

But
seriously though, stereotype Mei Ling voice with bad audio compression is lame as hell.

I find it interesting that you're questioning his ability to construct a sentence properly, all the while you're typing in fragments. Hell, you even started a sentence with, "but".

Honestly, I don't have a problem with what either of you are saying, but the fact that you attacked a fellow forum goer about grammar is just amazing.

LET THE INTERNET BE PRAISED!

Finally got the game couple of days ago :D

My aunt surprised me with it, pretty awesome.

I need help though.

I'm stuck on the boss Ocelot. It's the level right after Bolshaya Past Base. Just can't kill him

Omikaru

mario ate my burger said:
Finally got the game couple of days ago :D

My aunt surprised me with it, pretty awesome.

I need help though.

I'm stuck on the boss Ocelot. It's the level right after Bolshaya Past Base. Just can't kill him
Try shooting the hornet nests on the trees when he's hiding behind cover (it draws him out), and keep moving. Staying in one spot when he's firing off bullets is deadly to you as he almost always hits still targets.

You'll get used to it. I've heard people have trouble with that first boss, and then pick up the game fine after that - just keep it at it!

JonStark said:

MGS2 :
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o159/POLLODH/mgscreen0057lp.jpg

VS

TS :
http://cdn.cnetnetworks.fr/gamekult-com/images/photos/00/00/32/02/ME0000320285_2.jpg

But IMO

MGS2<TS<MGS3 is more objective.

Is that the worst MGS2 screenshot you could find? I mean, it has to be a very early one considering Snake isn't seen in that section at all, or maybe in the additional chapters in Substance (given the on-screen indicators). Also, the characters are missing their shadows, which are prominent in the final game.

Anyway, not only the character design is by all means less inspired and detailed in TS, but from what I've seen of it, no section looks and feels like MGS2 areas at all, mostly taking into account the Metal Gears animations and object physics in some places like the first encounter with Fortune. And I don't remember about the cutscenes, but in MGS2 there were very neat depth of field effects and the Tanker intro probably has nicer effects than anything in TS.

I feel like I'm the only person who thinks that MGS2 is ugly from an art standpoint. Sure the tech is good, but it's very unpleasant to look at, imo. Twin Snakes looks a little better, but that's mostly because Shadow Moses is cooler than The Big Shell.

Everything in MGS2 just looks too "baby-smooth." raiden's face looks like it was carved out of butter and the general color scheme of that game makes me feel kinda sick.

is anyone with me on this?

autobzooty said:
I feel like I'm the only person who thinks that MGS2 is ugly from an art standpoint. Sure the tech is good, but it's very unpleasant to look at, imo. Twin Snakes looks a little better, but that's mostly because Shadow Moses is cooler than The Big Shell.

Everything in MGS2 just looks too "baby-smooth." raiden's face looks like it was carved out of butter and the general color scheme of that game makes me feel kinda sick.

is anyone with me on this?

No

BigBoss

autobzooty said:

Are you just completely skipping the Tanker?

metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-20040720021852496.jpg

BigBoss said:
Are you just completely skipping the Tanker?

metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-20040720021852496.jpg

I did like the Tanker, especially the rainy outdoor bits, but it's a pretty short segment and hardly a good sample for what the game generally looks like.

autobzooty said:
I did like the Tanker, especially the rainy outdoor bits, but it's a pretty short segment and hardly a good sample for what the game generally looks like.

So you're also saying that you think the Big Shell at sunset is also bad art/tech? Give me a break. Truly ahead of it's time back then and still looks fantastic to this day.

nickrempe said:
There was a lot of stuff that I didn't understand, but I didn't pursue it if I couldn't grasp what was going on in MGS4. I have played through MGS1 about 6 times and once they allow me to play MGS2/3 on my PS3, I will dive into them and try my best to understand what was going on. By then, I should have most of that "WTF?" information out of my head by then, replay MGS4 and be totally fine.
Sony already developed an Emotion Engine emulator which is used in PS3's which have the GS chip but not EE. There are some slowdowns in MGS3 when theres a lot of characters but otherwise it works okay.

If you have a PS3 without PS2 backwards compatibility right now don't hold breath for an update which allows it. The GS has more bandwidth than whats in the PS3 so its pretty much impossible for the PS3 to emulate.

You can pick up a PS2 for $100 now I believe :)

Roto13

I think if you're going to compare MGS2 to anything, you have to mostly look at the Big Shell since that's where the vast majority of the game takes place.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
So you're also saying that you think the Big Shell at sunset is also bad art/tech? Give me a break. Truly ahead of it's time back then and still looks fantastic to this day.

not bad tech, just bad art. and gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom