• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksamedi

chrisisawesome said:
Interesting...I tried playing through msg3 right before mgs4 came out and just couldnt push myself to play it.
I've played through mgs4 twice and I have to say it is the best game I've ever played.
Maybe I'll give the other metal gear games another try.

MGS3 is a true masterpiece. Maybe not as good as the top down ones but certainly my favorite 3D camera MGS. Act 2 of MGS4 strongly resembles MGS 3 but I felt that MGS3 had much better level design. Also the story is very good and the boss battles (especially the finale) are worth playing trough the game for at least onces. If you really liked MGS 4 I can't imagine you won't like 3 even if you think 4 is the better one.

ACE 1991

Hmmm... Maybe I'll try to stick with it. Also, the controls feel kind of complicated and I'm having trouble grasping them.

EDIT: Is anyone else in the same boat as I am, having never played an MGS game and jumping into MGS4?

Ok, so I am playing through MGS4 again and am currently at the end of ACT I. This is one of the best games I have ever played. Everything clicks for me and is definitely one of the games I will always come back to this generations hardware to play over and over.

BigBoss

I just finished listening to the newest Kojima Production's Report and once again they're hinting that trophies are coming.

AppleBlade

BigBoss said:
I just finished listening to the newest Kojima Production's Report and once again they're hinting that trophies are coming.
Why did they say specifically. I need to know because I am going to finish inFAMOUS any day now, and was planning on starting MGS 4, if trophies are definitely coming then I'll wait.

BigBoss

MrVargas said:
Why did they say specifically. I need to know because I am going to finish inFAMOUS any day now, and was planning on starting MGS 4, if trophies are definitely coming then I'll wait.

They really didn't say anything specific, heres what they said when someone asked if trophies would ever be implemented in MGS4.

Your voices are being heard, we hear everything you say, it's just that we can't say anything just yet. As soon as we have something to say, we will announce it.

If we can just ask everyone to be patient, we will give you an answer, but right now we cannot say anything. We ask for everyone's understanding with this, and remain patient and we will let you know.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I have only played through the first hour of MGS4 because of these trophy rumours...

I know it's sad...but it feels like a barrier as I do enjoy getting trophies not to the point where I go out of my way to get them but just the experience of when you beat the boss ora level and you get the trophy ping...

onken

F#A#Oo said:
I have only played through the first hour of MGS4 because of these trophy rumours...

I know it's sad...but it feels like a barrier as I do enjoy getting trophies not to the point where I go out of my way to get them but just the experience of when you beat the boss ora level and you get the trophy ping...

Tragic. Play the damn game.

I don't understand why people still wait for the Trophies.

Konami have no need to patch MGS4 when they can release a MGS 4 Subsomething at full price with trophies because they know people will buy the new edition juste for that.

F#A#Oo

Banned
UnluckyKate said:
I don't understand why people still wait for the Trophies.

Konami have no need to patch MGS4 when they can release a MGS 4 Subsomething at full price with trophies because they know people will buy the new edition juste for that.

That is seriously not going to happen...not the re-releasing part but the new retail package having trophies and existing copies being left non-patched.

-Amon-

Trophies for mgs4 ? Not so important, but good news if true ...

I'd like to see some VR missions with them for sure :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BigBoss said:
They really didn't say anything specific, heres what they said when someone asked if trophies would ever be implemented in MGS4.

Short version:
Your voices are being heard, we hear everything you say, it's just that we don't fucking care.

mr_nothin

Banned
chrisisawesome said:
Interesting...I tried playing through msg3 right before mgs4 came out and just couldnt push myself to play it.
I've played through mgs4 twice and I have to say it is the best game I've ever played.
Maybe I'll give the other metal gear games another try.
Kojima made this game for you ppl.
And I hate that!

MGS4 is for ppl who've always wanted to like MGS but couldnt get into them because they preferred other game's play styles. He also tried to stay true to MGS as much as he could but it failed overall. I find that ppl that couldnt get into the MGS series, absolutely loved the game. "Hardcore" MGS fans have a much lower Like:Hate ratio when it comes to MGS4 (in favor of Hate/"Think it's the worst of the series").

rvy

Banned
mr_nothin said:
And I hate that!

MGS4 is for ppl who've always wanted to like MGS but couldnt get into them because they preferred other game's play styles. He also tried to stay true to MGS as much as he could but it failed overall. I find that ppl that couldnt get into the MGS series, absolutely loved the game. "Hardcore" MGS fans have a much lower Like:Hate ratio when it comes to MGS4 (in favor of Hate/"Think it's the worst of the series").
You're going to get a lot of hate for this, but you're right. Guns of the Patriots completely fails as an MGS game.
Again, you are going to get a lot of hate for this. Mostly by "hardcore" fans who claim they loved all the other games too.

-Amon- said:
Trophies for mgs4 ? Not so important, but good news if true ...

I'd like to see some VR missions with them for sure :D

maybe MGS4 + VR missions re-packaged for the holiday? or MGS4: Sub_ w/ VR Missions and trophies and some new story stuff. I mean that's what I think is being hinted at maybe.....What the hell else is Konami releasing this holiday?

rvy

Banned
I missed the Trophy posts. It's nice to hear and all, but the same (not really) thing was said last year. They keep saying that Trophies are coming, but it never happens.

mr_nothin

Banned
Shikashi said:
You're going to get a lot of hate for this, but you're right. Guns of the Patriots completely fails as an MGS game.
Again, you are going to get a lot of hate for this. Mostly by "hardcore" fans who claim they loved all the other games too.
I know I am...it has happened before.

MGS simply has 'too much' in it and too many options. YEA YEA YEA...not forced to use drebin, W/E! It's in the game! But with the inclusion of the drebin system. They totally took out the fact that you had to search for weapons and get keycards to access rooms that had better guns for you and such. Yes, I know that there were a few instances where if you looked around then you would find a (pretty much useless) weapon or a silencer or w/e. I just loved the keycard system in MGS2 =]. I hate the way MGS4 progresses. It doesnt feel like you're getting more and more awesome as the game goes on.

I did LOVE act 1 and how hard it was to sneak around though! (1st time I played was on Extreme...I waited until my friend beat the game). Actually, I started the game on Hard but found it to be lacking in the challenge department so I waited for my friend to beat it so I could start on extreme.

I better stop typing before I type half a page of the "flaws" that MGS4 had (as a MGS game). I've already pointed out all of the "flaws" MGS4 had anyways!

rvy

Banned
Bearillusion said:
No they don't.
2 Times they've said Trophies are coming. Alright, it's not like they continuously claim it'll happen, but it's not like they never said no either.
I doubt they are coming anyway, if they were interested in patching them, we would have Trophies for a long time now. The fact that they keep this as vague as possible hints that Trophies are coming, but in a Director's Cut of GOTP.

Doc Evils

BigBoss said:

Interesting, I wonder if they are going to release MGS4 substance with trophies to milk more.

rvy

Banned
Philanthropist said:
I don't think they've ever been concrete.
They've never set a date, no, but a Konami rep has said that Trophies are coming. Counting the Podcast, 2 times they've said that Trophies are coming. Why they don't just cut the bullshit and either set a date or say it'll never happen is beyond me. It's like they're toying with people, for no obvious reason.

topofuji

Banned
Shikashi said:
They've never set a date, no, but a Konami rep has said that Trophies are coming. Counting the Podcast, 2 times they've said that Trophies are coming. Why they don't just cut the bullshit and either set a date or say it'll never happen is beyond me. It's like they're toying with people, for no obvious reason.

Said they were coming as in: "they acknowledge the demand for them"? That doesn't mean much, especially coming from a western Konami rep - in the end it's Konami Japan and Kojima Productions that decide, and from what I heard they are against trophies for some reason. Forget I said anything if you aren't talking about that Playstation Blog Konami rep comment response that was months ago.

But the hope is there for me...if not MGS4, a "Substance" edition of MGS4 is possibly among us in the future which would be forced to get trophies due to it being released after 2009.

What's the big deal about trophies? I hope they're not wasting time on implementing something pointless and are actually doing something worthwhile like adding new single-player content; even if it's just something like VR missions which re-use the existing levels.

I would like to see trophies added at some point but they shouldn't be a priority.

rvy

Banned
mr_nothin said:
I know I am...it has happened before.

MGS simply has 'too much' in it and too many options. YEA YEA YEA...not forced to use drebin, W/E! It's in the game! But with the inclusion of the drebin system. They totally took out the fact that you had to search for weapons and get keycards to access rooms that had better guns for you and such. Yes, I know that there were a few instances where if you looked around then you would find a (pretty much useless) weapon or a silencer or w/e. I just loved the keycard system in MGS2 =]. I hate the way MGS4 progresses. It doesnt feel like you're getting more and more awesome as the game goes on.

I did LOVE act 1 and how hard it was to sneak around though! (1st time I played was on Extreme...I waited until my friend beat the game). Actually, I started the game on Hard but found it to be lacking in the challenge department so I waited for my friend to beat it so I could start on extreme.

I better stop typing before I type half a page of the "flaws" that MGS4 had (as a MGS game). I've already pointed out all of the "flaws" MGS4 had anyways!

Ravi Singh @ TUS (Owner of The Snake Soup) said:
MGS2 was the perfect ending to the Metal Gear Solid Franchise. The main character had an ending, and the loose ends were better of not tied up. The last act where Solidus explains the "meme" theme to Jack, and then whispers something before falling to his death in the arms of George Washington's arms was FLAWLESS. I know I'm not the only one who got choked up when Solidus said, "Jack, you were always my son". Well, he did in the Japanese version, at least.

Bottom line is that the Metal Gear series was one of the greatest stories ever told. Hideo Kojima kept us guessing the whole time through the whole thing, but has he taken it to far now? Kojima has shat out a prequel, a sequel to a prequel, a sequel and just announced that he is making Metal Gear Solid Rising, and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker. These new games are just going to further complicate the Metal Gear Saga, and make it harder to make a decent story out of it. Am I the only one who thinks Kojima has lost his passion for MGS, and that he is just turning the franchise into a marketing Scheme?

There are 2 things that have brought me to this conclusion. One that Kojima made a westernized control scheme for MGS4, thus drawing a larger audience to the franchise, because we all have to admit MGS can be frustrating to play. The second is that we are going to have to pay for new maps in MGO. What Kojima is doing to Metal Gear Solid is exactly what George Lucas did to Star Wars and Indiana Jones, destroying it from the inside out. Kojima should just leave well enough alone.

I suppose MGS2 is the last of it kind. It is as if Kojima has created MGS2 because he fucking wanted to, as if he truly wanted to make it. But now he seems to be telling us "Its time for me and MGS to move on."

The problem is that Kojima has us by the balls. We are suckers for a new MGS game, and we will buy whatever Kojima throws at us.

Please do not be angry at what I said here. This is my opinion, and I'm excited to hear yours.

PS: The above works with MGS3 as well.

It probably sums up the feelings of a lot of people.

@topofuji, not actually, you are right, that's what I was mentioning. I though his comment was: - "They're coming, but we don't have a date."

Also, to the Trophies-hate brigade that is bound to show up, we get it, you don't care. Why you don't care and, yet, continue to show your dislike and disapproval about something that clearly doesn't bother you is what I'd like to have answered.

Biff

Slightly related topic:

So I was really LTTP on the Making Of MGS4 bonus bluray that came with my CE..

After watching it, I now entirely understand why trophies weren't included in the game. Kojima Productions were so incredibly far away from getting trophies within the deadline. Even without considering trophies, they were so close to missing that June release date - it was really eye-opening. The pile of energy drinks in front of every devs computer really speaks to the kind of hours they put in to make that deadline.

But, I also got see more into the genius that is Kojima. His attention to detail is so amazing.. Little things like disturbing dust as you shuffle across a ledge you're hanging on were picked up by Kojima as he played through his beta build for the nth time. According to the documentary, he often played the game for 7 hours a day in his office.

When they filmed the documentary (2-3 months before June, not exactly sure when), the bug team had discovered something like 14,000 bugs!

topofuji

Banned
I think a Q4 release for MGS4 "Substance" edition is at a small, small chance. It's already late and there's been no news it's even being worked on. But then again, that may have been because they didn't want to take away from the MG:Rising and Peace Walker announcement hype. I'd bet if MGS4:S were to come out, sometime like late 2010/2011.

Let's take a look at the history of the 'expanded' edition release dates compared to the standard first release:

MGS1: US - 10/21/98, JP - 9/3/98
MGS1: Integral US - no release, JP - 6/24/99
MGS1: VR Missions - US 9/30/99, JP - no release

MGS2: US - 11/12/01, JP - 11/29/01
MGS2 Substance: US - 3/3/03, JP - 12/19/02

MGS3 US - 11/17/04, JP - 12/16/04
MGS3 Subsistence US - 3/14/06, JP - 12/22/05

As you can see the trend for either JP or US special versions is a little after one year from the original release, give or take a few months.
MGS4 released June 2008 in the US. We're not TOO far after the one year point, so there is still a possibility for this year. Time will tell.
My guess would be that they are waiting to release it once the PS3 garners more sales once the supposed PS3 Slim will release, to "re-introduce" MGS4 and put it back into the spotlight, to get more sales out of the new PS3 buyers who never experienced MGS4.

Saiyu

mr_nothin said:
And I hate that!

Yeah pretty much. I was one of those that imported MGS 3 Subsistence for an early chance to play online and would follow the MGS IGN board religiously back in the "glory days". That said, I never could get into MGS4 - everything about it was sub MGS standard to me and I couldn't take the gameplay for more than hour, definitely something I wouldn't expect from an MGS game. Oh and the cutscenes were ridiculous even when you're expecting them.

Ploid 3.0

I hope a new edition of MGS4 don't come out. I was comfortable buying MGS4 because Kojima or whatever said there wouldn't be one. I never bought a MGS S because I already bought the originals, and I always felt burned when the better version hit. Cheaper and better.

topofuji said:
I think a Q4 release for MGS4 "Substance" edition is at a small, small chance. It's already late and there's been no news it's even being worked on. But then again, that may have been because they didn't want to take away from the MG:Rising and Peace Walker announcement hype. I'd bet if MGS4:S were to come out, sometime like late 2010/2011.

Let's take a look at the history of the 'expanded' edition release dates compared to the standard first release:

MGS1: US - 10/21/98, JP - 9/3/98
MGS1: Integral US - no release, JP - 6/24/99
MGS1: VR Missions - US 9/30/99, JP - no release

MGS2: US - 11/12/01, JP - 11/29/01
MGS2 Substance: US - 3/3/03, JP - 12/19/02

MGS3 US - 11/17/04, JP - 12/16/04
MGS3 Subsistence US - 3/14/06, JP - 12/22/05

As you can see the trend for either JP or US special versions is a little after one year from the original release, give or take a few months.
MGS4 released June 2008 in the US. We're not TOO far after the one year point, so there is still a possibility for this year. Time will tell.
My guess would be that they are waiting to release it once the PS3 garners more sales once the supposed PS3 Slim will release, to "re-introduce" MGS4 and put it back into the spotlight, to get more sales out of the new PS3 buyers who never experienced MGS4.
Methinks it'll be like Substance, and be a multi-platform release for the 360 owners who finally get an MGS game, Rising, to play the bridging-storyline game there then get their MGS4 fix via expanded rerelease.

topofuji

Banned
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Methinks it'll be like Substance, and be a multi-platform release for the 360 owners who finally get an MGS game, Rising, to play the bridging-storyline game there then get their MGS4 fix via expanded rerelease.

STOP right there! Never! Never!!

Zeona

Neo Member
topofuji said:

If they are working on such a release, which would explain their comments about trophies (either they come with the new pack or the patch releases on the same day), then we will hear about it no later than TGS, maybe even at GamesCom.

web01

Seems likely trophies are coming especially after what was said in that latest podcast.

Its likely more complicated than people think we could probably expect MGS4 and MGO to be considered as seperate games with their own platinums trophies especially considering MGO is sold as a standalone version.

topofuji

Banned
Zeona said:
If they are working on such a release, which would explain their comments about trophies (either they come with the new pack or the patch releases on the same day), then we will hear about it no later than TGS, maybe even at GamesCom.

You're right, this isn't something that is going to be released without trailers and a hype train. For MGS3:S as you can remember there were multiple trailers before it's release, and it was only unveiled shortly before it released.

rvy

Banned
topofuji said:
You're right, this isn't something that is going to be released without trailers and a hype train. For MGS3:S as you can remember there were multiple trailers before it's release, and it was only unveiled shortly before it released.
2 for each. E3 and TGS. Talking about both Substance and Subsistence here.

Facism

web01 said:
Seems likely trophies are coming especially after what was said in that latest podcast.

Its likely more complicated than people think we could probably expect MGS4 and MGO to be considered as seperate games with their own platinums trophies especially considering MGO is sold as a standalone version.

shit if they patch in trophies for mgo, i could see some of the GAFe Wasp unit going back into it.

mini-MGO revival D:

topofuji

Banned
web01 said:

Ironic that I was waiting to check out the Podcasts (And downloadble music) only once the game got trophies, for my Extreme playthrough once the game got Trophies. :lol

I can see MGS4 and MGO getting separate trophy entries, IF they were separate releases in all regions. Only in Japan was MGO released as a standalone option, all other regions it's within MGS4. There are many possibilities for MGO trophies, but I think it would be too broken and in general many people don't like multiplayer trophies. I'd rather have a full fledged challenging list of MGS4 single player trophies. (and not all copies of the animal rankings either, but that would be cool if it were a few trophies)

mr_nothin said:
And I hate that!

I agree. I partially blame Ryan Payton and Mark Macdonald.

-Amon-

MikeE21286 said:
maybe MGS4 + VR missions re-packaged for the holiday? or MGS4: Sub_ w/ VR Missions and trophies and some new story stuff. I mean that's what I think is being hinted at maybe.....What the hell else is Konami releasing this holiday?

i dont think we'll see some "new story stuff" for mgs4 in the future.... I tinnk that's more possible a psn dlc that adds VR missions plus trophy support.

10 bucks that lot's of people would be happy to pay......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom