• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Amon-

mr_nothin said:
MGS4 is for ppl who've always wanted to like MGS but couldnt get into them because they preferred other game's play styles. He also tried to stay true to MGS as much as he could but it failed overall. I find that ppl that couldnt get into the MGS series, absolutely loved the game. "Hardcore" MGS fans have a much lower Like:Hate ratio when it comes to MGS4 (in favor of Hate/"Think it's the worst of the series").

I've finished all the solids at least two time each ... and speaking of controls i think that MGS4 is the best by a mile. And Kojima made this game (story wise ) for the people that played and knew anything about the past mgs games.

Don't really think kojima made 4 to suck in people that in the past did not play the first tree ....

Doc Evils

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Methinks it'll be like Substance, and be a multi-platform release for the 360 owners who finally get an MGS game, Rising, to play the bridging-storyline game there then get their MGS4 fix via expanded rerelease.

No.

jsnepo

I actually want a SUB MGS4. The reason? I just want the river cinematic to be edited. The color of Snake's vest in that cinematic is khaki and doesn't reflect what the color should be in that act which is supposed to be black... or blue. I can't remember it exactly.

jsnepo said:
I actually want a SUB MGS4. The reason? I just want the river cinematic to be edited. The color of Snake's vest in that cinematic is khaki and doesn't reflect what the color should be in that act which is supposed to be black... or blue. I can't remember it exactly.

... really? -.-

jayb

jsnepo said:

I've only played through that part once, but I remember the cutscenes keeping the same camo that you had Snake equipped with when the scene starts. Is that not the case with the river scene?

EDIT: nevermind...just read the "prerecorded" comment above.

dalyr95

I'd really like MGS to return to stand alone plots like MGS. An amazing cast of villians and allies who we discover their motivations while Snake completes his mission objective. The Patriot story is so convoluted now I believe they are redundant.

Even Snake must of had a couple of ordinary missions to complete.

Oni Jazar

Shikashi said:
They've never set a date, no, but a Konami rep has said that Trophies are coming. Counting the Podcast, 2 times they've said that Trophies are coming. Why they don't just cut the bullshit and either set a date or say it'll never happen is beyond me. It's like they're toying with people, for no obvious reason.

You gotta prove with a link that anyone from Konami said that trophies are coming. The only thing I remember was from a PS Blog comment where they said something like "We hear your issues loud and clear" or something which was referring to both trophies and Konami ID crap. That's hardly an announcement that trophies are coming though.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I think they'll announce MGS4: Subsisistence at TGS with trophies, and patch in trophy support for the original MGS4, not unlike how The Force Unleashed is getting patched with trophies, and The sith Edition comes with it.

rvy

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
You gotta prove with a link that anyone from Konami said that trophies are coming. The only thing I remember was from a PS Blog comment where they said something like "We hear your issues loud and clear" or something which was referring to both trophies and Konami ID crap. That's hardly an announcement that trophies are coming though.

Konami hasn’t committed to adding support quite yet, and a Sony representative recently held that non-committal line in response to a fan inquiry on the PlayStation blog. “On the subject of MGS4/MGO trophies and Konami ID - we hear you,” he wrote. “We have been circulating these issues internally, and we will report back as soon as we are able.”

You are right, I really thought I remembered him saying something different.

mr_nothin

Banned
-Amon- said:
I've finished all the solids at least two time each ... and speaking of controls i think that MGS4 is the best by a mile. And Kojima made this game (story wise ) for the people that played and knew anything about the past mgs games.

Don't really think kojima made 4 to suck in people that in the past did not play the first tree ....
I think he did. The story in MGS4 could stand on it's own for 'newcomers' and then they could go back and play the others to find out more about the MGS universe. Ryan Payton was brought onboard to specifically help "westernized" the game. MGS4 was to bring in newcomers but also tried to be faithful enough for the mgs hardcore. I think Kojima did the best he could without it getting too out of hand and by no means is MGS4 a bad game. It just lost the essence of what made it MGS because there were tons of people who really wanted to get into MGS but couldnt and Kojima caved in and gave them what they wanted. I bet he also did it to sell more. It was more of a Splinter Cell than a MGS...there was a reason why I liked MGS over Splinter Cell and Kojima lost that.

DMeisterJ said:
I think they'll announce MGS4: Subsisistence at TGS with trophies, and patch in trophy support for the original MGS4, not unlike how The Force Unleashed is getting patched with trophies, and The sith Edition comes with it.
Seems possible. They are taking forever to put trophies in for some reason.

topofuji

Banned
DMeisterJ said:

It would have to be one or the other, they wouldn't do both. I sure would hate having to choose which Trophy list entry to devote myself to, as the "Substance" version would more than likely have trophies for thew new content.
(knowing me I'd go for Platinum in both :lol )

It's very interesting that you guys brought up MGS4:S possibly being unveiled at TGS 2009. It does make sense if there was to be a Q4 release (my guess late November or early to mid December - or worse, a few months into 2010). TGS is late September, so it definitely makes sense. Just before the big fall rush begins.

Also: I actually booted up MGS4 to listen to the last Podcast (13), thinking I would hear something about Trophies, but nope, I was mistaken and you guys meant the online Podcast, not the in-game one. :lol Any quotes of exactly what was said in it, or perhaps a link to the podcast?

Artofwar420

Don't forget they're working on that Raiden game, whatever that's going to be. And that PSP game which is supposed to be an actual cannon sequel.

So maybe time is not that abundant for them at the moment.

dojokun

Banned
They will announce MGS4: Submachine Guns of the Patriots, this time with a naked Naomi Hunter figurine.

EDIT: This was a joke post. Here's the emoticon to prove it: :lol

MrPliskin

Banned
mr_nothin said:
Kojima made this game for you ppl.
And I hate that!

MGS4 is for ppl who've always wanted to like MGS but couldnt get into them because they preferred other game's play styles. He also tried to stay true to MGS as much as he could but it failed overall. I find that ppl that couldnt get into the MGS series, absolutely loved the game. "Hardcore" MGS fans have a much lower Like:Hate ratio when it comes to MGS4 (in favor of Hate/"Think it's the worst of the series").

I totally appreciate your opinion, but don't try to depreciate anyone's thoughts and "devalue' their opinions because you think they aren't "hardcore". It's stupid. Opinions are opinoins. I consider myself to be pretty "hardcore" about Metal gear (as in I'm an avid fan and followed the series since I was first introduced to it) and I loved MGS4.

Just my two cents.

I was pretty hardcore about the MGS series, and I too loved MGS4. There were a few complaints I had, but I think, for the most part, they were few and far between.

topofuji said:
It would have to be one or the other, they wouldn't do both. I sure would hate having to choose which Trophy list entry to devote myself to, as the "Substance" version would more than likely have trophies for thew new content.
(knowing me I'd go for Platinum in both :lol )
You and me both. They could even make some stupid online ones and I'd play for as long as I'd have to to get them.

I'm quite a Metal Gear Solid whore.

Talon

dalyr95 said:
...what am I looking at?

plasmasd

Actually I loved MGS4, and I'm a diehard fan of all the games. Back when the English MSX2 version of Solid Snake came out I played that for 50 hours and loved it more than MGS. When I played MGS4, I was reminded of my favorite part of Soild Snake, chasing the green beret. It blew my mind that we got to play another chasing sneaking mission with Snake even in a Gillian Seed type outfit. My only complaint is the very end should've been like For Few Dollars More. Oh well, that's the way it will always be in my head.

Playing it at the moment and i am in Act 3
I just met Big Mama and the story got explained a bit (genius!) and damn, poor Big Boss, I hate you Zero!!!

So far this game is so good, i can't even describe it :D And my friends keep telling me it gets better and better to the end!

Blablurn

stuburns said:
You people are crazy. Act 1 and 2 outclass the others, by a mile.

i liked the first act in the beginning. but the more i replayed the game (and i replayed it a lot) the more i prefered the other chapters. i especially dislike the first entcounter against the frogs. it sucks that you have to wait for the others. i fucking hate this part :lol

stuburns said:
You people are crazy. Act 1 and 2 outclass the others, by a mile.

Only if you don't like stealth games. In my second playthrough I loved 3 to 5 (I already did) but I got bored in 1 and 2 except when I took the stealth approach. Storyline wise, 3 is a lot more interesting too.

RichardAM said:
They're wrong.

They're right.

StuBurns

Banned
Philanthropist said:
Only if you don't like stealth games. In my second playthrough I loved 3 to 5 (I already did) but I got bored in 1 and 2 except when I took the stealth approach. Storyline wise, 3 is a lot more interesting too.
I couldn't disagree more, the stealth in the first two acts is better than three and four, the start of five is good, but it's super short, and the pacing is terrible at that point.

I can't believe anyone would think those acts had more stealth. Maybe if you play it like a shooter, then for some reason decide to play the last two acts stealthy. But that person would just be being inconsistent. That's hardly the game's fault.

stuburns said:
I couldn't disagree more, the stealth in the first two acts is better than three and four, the start of five is good, but it's super short, and the pacing is terrible at that point.

I can't believe anyone would think those acts had more stealth. Maybe if you play it like a shooter, then for some reason decide to play the last two acts stealthy. But that person would just be being inconsistent. That's hardly the game's fault.

The first two acts force you to interact with the rebels sometimes, even if you don't have to kill anyone. I guess some players have the skills to avoid them as well, even though I'd swear it's mandatory to walk through their sites in both 1 and 2. That's not stealth gaming, I would have preferred to avoid that as well.

It was kind of funny how the alerts jumped when they first saw me in the underground tunnels in 1. I'd rather be able to pass by unnoticed, thank you.

StuBurns

Banned
Philanthropist said:
The first two acts force you to interact with the rebels sometimes, even if you don't have to kill anyone. I guess some players have the skills to avoid them as well, even though I'd swear it's mandatory to walk through their sites in both 1 and 2. That's not stealth gaming, I would have preferred to avoid that as well.

It was kind of funny how the alerts jumped when they first saw me in the underground tunnels in 1. I'd rather be able to pass by unnoticed, thank you.
You can complete the game without killing anyone, and without being spotted with the exception of bosses and the frogs. You can go thru by using stealth. You are never forced to interact with the rebels.

Facism

stuburns said:
You can complete the game without killing anyone, and without being spotted with the exception of bosses and the frogs. You can go thru by using stealth. You are never forced to interact with the rebels.

going through the rebel base on the way to Drebin without being spotted was fun :D

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Philanthropist said:

Can't you just wear the disguise? You get it halfway through the rebel base anyway.

theluma

stuburns said:

I get the sense that your are encouraged to play stealthily a lot more in the 3rd and 4th act, at times even forced. But ironically, the parts where you are forced to be stealth have worse stealth gameplay than the parts where you could just play it as a shooter. (but please, don't folks...it's much more fun being stealthy:D )

I started playing this recently and I'm really enjoying it. So I'm kind of hungry to get some more MGS.

- Never played 1 (Has this aged very bad or is it still playable?)
- Played 2, liked it
- Tried to play 3, but the horrendous amount of talking pissed me off. Also the gameplay in the regular version turned me off. Maybe subsistance is better? Should I give it another go?

Also from a story perspective I understand that it's not very good to finish 4 now. Should probably start with 3?

schennmu said:
I started playing this recently and I'm really enjoying it. So I'm kind of hungry to get some more MGS.

- Played 2, liked it
- Tried to play 3, but the horrendous amount of talking pissed me off. Also the gameplay in the regular version turned me off. Maybe subsistance is better? Should I give it another go?

Also from a story perspective I understand that it's not very good to finish 4 now. Should probably start with 3?
Pick up "Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection" and play all of them from the beginning. It includes both MGS2:S and MGS3:S (with the updated free control 3D camera). The first game is still amazing and should definitely not be skipped.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
schennmu said:
- Played 2, liked it
schennmu said:
- Tried to play 3, but the horrendous amount of talking pissed me off.
Does NOT compute.

spats

Every time this thread gets bumped I think the trophy patch has come out :I

schennmu said:

- Played 2, liked it

3 is arguably the best one. Give it another go. I still find the first one playable. Super cinematic for its time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
spats said:
3 is arguably the best one. Give it another go. I still find the first one playable. Super cinematic for its time.
Yep, felt like replaying it (after maybe 4 years) and bought it on PSN (15 bucks or something, very worth it). Soooo good.

Got it for my PSP last week. beat it in about 2 days .. still impressed with how hard that Rex fight can initially be.. even when you know exactly how the whole fight goes down.

Still remember being completely blown away i could snap peoples necks :lol

mgs1 love +1

Edit: Playing the series in chronological order is a hoot. 3-Portable-1-2-4

Also: Stuburns got it straight. Acts 1 and 2 are far and away the more intense stealth experience. The entire game takes on a different feel if you play it completely stealth or completely shooter... but sliding between buildings, into windows and through apts, through grass and past executions only occasionally using the tranq gun is maybe the best part about the whole game. Also the house just before Laughing Octopus.. i sneaked my way into a corner in the front courtyard and just watched the two armies fight for like 20 minutes the first time i played. Just beautiful.

the last level tho... i died SO MANY TIMES on my first playthrough and my BB run... That shit is just insanely tight sight lines overlapped with crazy fucking patrol routes.

Yoshichan

Tryckser said:
Just finished it and i really don't understand the hate or disappointments thrown at the game here at GAF....
It was awesome, from start to finish.
When something gets hyped, there will always be hate. Always.

Charles said:
It was NeoGaf game of the year by an embarrassing margin, there's a lot of love here.
Yeah, but in every MGS related thread you look nowadays I see only hate. Thats sad because maybe we will never get an experience like the MGS Saga again. And it was the perfect ending for the perfect Saga!

rvy

Banned
Tryckser said:
And it was the perfect ending for the perfect Saga!
MGS is far from perfect and, if anything, MGS 4 is the worst ending ever. A wedding, a coward and a Zombie. What else could you ask for, right?

Yeah Shikashi, it was cliché, but after a 50 hour epic-saga you can't hit the players faces with a ending
where the hero dies and everything is fucked up. This ending completed the story as a whole, there will (hopefully) be no direct sequels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom