• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silkysm00th said:
Edit: Playing the series in chronological order is a hoot. 3-Portable-1-2-4

Ok, cool. I own portable ops but my save game got corrupted after putting a lot of hours into it :(. Was fun though!

Seiken said:
Does NOT compute.

Dunno, I guess I was not in MGS mood when I tried to get into 3. The story seemed extremely cheesy (Campbell really pissed me off) and the camera did the rest (Need subsistance I guess). Will probably pick it up now, but it's kind of expensive at ebay.

spats said:
3 is arguably the best one. Give it another go. I still find the first one playable. Super cinematic for its time.

Thx!

rvy

Banned
Tryckser said:
Yeah Shikashi, it was cliché, but after a 50 hour epic-saga you can't hit the players faces with a ending
where the hero dies and everything is fucked up. This ending completed the story as a whole, there will (hopefully) be no direct sequels
Oh, come on, dude... what do you think that that ending was designed for? Sequels. Konami needs money.

Snake is a terrorist, moreover Snake is going to contaminate people around him for being alive. He pussied out, that's just... it. And the sad part is how much he changed from 2 to 4. In one, he's this badass motherfucker, who destroys MGs for fun and saves the World. Full of ideals, wise words and shit. In the other, he's this old uncle, useless soldier that can't even kill himself knowing the consequences of that.
They killed the character alright, he just didn't pull the trigger.

Shikashi said:
Oh, come on, dude... what do you think that that ending was designed for? Sequels. Konami needs money.

Snake is a terrorist, moreover Snake is going to contaminate people around him for being alive. He pussied out, that's just... it. And the sad part is how much he changed from 2 to 4. In one, he's this badass motherfucker, who destroys MGs for fun and saves the World. Full of ideals, wise words and shit. In the other, he's this old uncle, useless soldier that can't even kill himself knowing the consequences of that.
They killed the character alright, he just didn't pull the trigger.
But you got that the virus killing of everyone else is not reproducing and is no threat? He isn't a terrorist or a walking time bomb anymore? And in 4 he is just beaten, torn down by war, and old soldier in a different world, where he has no place anymore. The game does the character progression perfectly

rvy

Banned
Tryckser said:
But you got that the virus killing of everyone else is not reproducing and is no threat? He isn't a terrorist or a walking time bomb anymore? And in 4 he is just beaten, torn down by war, and old soldier in a different world, where he has no place anymore. The game does the character progression perfectly
We'll agree to disagree then.

jsnepo said:
I just came up with, possibly, the best description of MGS 4's ending. :lol

Just finished it.
Wow, epic fight with Liquid gave me goosebumps. LOL @ two hour epilogue und Big Boss's long speech.
Great and epic game, but it could have been longer, took me 20 hours.

schennmu said:
- Never played 1 (Has this aged very bad or is it still playable?)
- Played 2, liked it
- Tried to play 3, but the horrendous amount of talking pissed me off.

schennmu said:
Dunno, I guess I was not in MGS mood when I tried to get into 3. The story seemed extremely cheesy (Campbell really pissed me off) and the camera did the rest (Need subsistance I guess). Will probably pick it up now, but it's kind of expensive at ebay.

The bolded parts are not coherent at all, as already mentioned. Do yourself a favor and play 3 when you really, really are in the mood because you missed the best one. MGS1 is a must as well, it hasn't really aged all that much, if at all.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
schennmu said:
Great and epic game, but it could have been longer, took me 20 hours.
Loaded up my first save, took me 62 hours. Man I must've taken my sweet ass time (I used to call everyone on my codec every 50-100 meters to be sure I didn't miss anything)

Tannhauser

Neo Member
I can acknowledge the faults this game has; in regards to narrative, plot and structure/gameplay but I wouldn't be honest if I said that I was cognizant of these while playing it (I've only played it the one time). I think the biggest factor was that I was so engrossed into the characters (the protagonist really) that I sub-consciously forgave everything else. I cannot say that I liked the storyline - certainly not as much as the other games,
[especially the reveal of the Patriots as your ex-team]
yet I watched every minute of the cutscenes and I could have taken a lot more (in fairness, the fact that they were fucking gorgeous helped quite a bit). There were many other things about it that I feel are inferior to the other MGS games.

It is fair to say that I enjoyed it in a different way to other videogames. It was far more personal than anything I'd previously played. In this regard the game definitely took off in Act 3 and peaked in Act 5. It was basically the finalé of a saga that we'd been playing for some 20 years, and it felt like it was actually produced in that vein. While playing it I was wondering whether other gamers/MGS fans would be feeling similarly about the experience, since it was a fairly busy time then which meant that I had not read a single review/impression of it until after I had finished it. I knew immediately that it was an experience I'd remember for a while. I still feel that the critiques of the game, though they may be valid are possibly missing the point. This game is far, far more than the sum of it's parts.

jsnepo

Going back to my question, what happened to Meryl's cute behind in this game?

Sorry to bump this thread and not delivering trophy news.

3dmodeler

After beating this game on the highest difficulty level and getting the boss extreme emblem, I actually think the first two acts were the worst part of the game. Not that those acts are bad but after several playthroughs I'm starting to like the level designs in the last three acts better. The first 2 acts is essentially an MGS3 expansion pack which is cool and all but I already played MGS3 and want something new and more diverse.

I'm not surprised that people hated act 3, I hated that level at first but on my Boss extreme run, I actually felt that level was less restrictive and moved at a really fast pace if you know what you're doing. I was prepared this time and used the Beauty and beast mask so I didn't have to crouch or crawl around like the first two acts. Now the main reason I don't like the first two acts as much is because I keep getting discovered if I don't crawl or crouch a lot.

To be honest I thought all the acts after two were more fun, less repetitive and they actually fly by really fast. Act 4 especially had the most variety in the gameplay. I was starting to get tired of sneaking past humans so it was a real pleasure blasting the scaraabs and gekkos and even better I get to control a metal gear. Crying wolf is actually a really fun boss fight, if you don't hide under the truck which is what I did on my first playthrough.

Is anyone else like me and actually acquired a stronger appreciation for the last 3 acts in subsequent playthroughs?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
JonStark said:
Yes, old.

BTW Between two warriors/brothers, the kiss is a symbol of respect / death.
Yeah but still! Especially after the whole MGS line :lol

VegaShinra said:
Spoiler that or at least warn people it's a potential major spoiler.
Oh right, sorry

ZeroRay

Decided to replay again. My God, this game is awesome but I thought the same after I finished Act 2 the first time. In Act 3 now and this is when the game lost some of its impact for me. An almost one hour cutscene followed by a slow shadowing section kills the feeling you got after finishing Act 2. Bad pacing Kojima, bad pacing.

NeoUltima

Looking back...the biggest flaw with MGS4, imo, is the ability to buy ammo at any time from Drebin...made it too damn easy. Having to keep an eye on your ammo always seemed like an important part of MGS to me. Until I played on Boss Extreme, I didn't even care if I got seen cause I could just blast my way through. I know some people like that though so w/e. Still one of my favorite games of all time.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
sorry for the bump

so I want to replay parts of the game again , I don't want to make sandwiches every time , anyway , here is the thing .

I have many accounts on PS3 and the save work on all of them ( pre trophies good old sharable save :lol ) , so can I let the game install one Act in each account ( so if I want to go to act 3 I just switch the account and load the save without waiting for a long install ) ? or PS3 won't allow me to do this ?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Totobeni said:
sorry for the bump

so I want to replay parts of the game again , I don't want to make sandwiches every time , anyway , here is the thing .

I have many accounts on PS3 and the save work on all of them ( pre trophies good old sharable save :lol ) , so can I let the game install one Act in each account ( so if I want to go to act 3 I just switch the account and load the save without waiting for a long install ) ? or PS3 won't allow me to do this ?
Game Data Utility folder is system wide; you can't install a game twice to the system.

Violater

Having to install each chapter is the sole reason I have not picked this game back up.
I wish I could just do one mega install and play from there.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Totobeni said:
sorry for the bump

I think you can install all the chapters the same time on the same account if you have a save after each install though I'm not sure

jett

D-Member
Violater said:
Having to install each chapter is the sole reason I have not picked this game back up.

Really? It's not that big of a deal. Only the first install is long(like 7 minutes), subsequent installs are less than 2 minutes. Like loading up a GTA game. :p

Teetris said:
I think you can install all the chapters the same time on the same account if you have a save after each install though I'm not sure

Nope.

Sascha23

Banned
Violater said:

Really? It takes two bloody minutes to install most chapters..

Sounds like an odd excuse to not partake in MGS magic.

Mets39

jett said:
Really? It's not that big of a deal. Only the first install is long(like 7 minutes), subsequent installs are less than 2 minutes. Like loading up a GTA game. :p

Whoa, you are defending the game :eek:

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, finally getting to play the game now, on Act 3. I am shocked at all there reactions to hearing "Wait, we aren't exact clones of Big Boss :O" I mean, I can see Snake MAYBE being surprised about it, but Otacon didn't realize it ether? Solid and Liquid are visibly different from on anther even.

I am just going to pretend they explain Solidus later in the game and don't just ignore him.

jett

D-Member
Mets39 said:
not harsh enough, i'm still shocked that this was your GOTY last year. I mean, you hate it so much :p

It just means 2008 was a shitty year. :p

Nah I don't hate the game, just heavily disappointed with certain aspects of it.

Violater

jett said:

Ok I might be waiting to see if trophies will ever be patched in as well :lol

Mets39

jett said:
It just means 2008 was a shitty year. :p

Nah I don't hate the game, just heavily disappointed with certain aspects of it.

Yeah i saw that. Personally, i thought it lacked of the epicness of the other games, it was too much focus on explanation but you guys have already talked about that billions times, it's dead meat now :p

It's an amazing game but I wouldn't think badly of anyone who didn't like the narrative flow. Amir0x and jett have been very vocal in bashing the game's plot structure, and while jett doesn't have his Mr. Negativity badge for no reason, at least the complaints are sensible. Personally I just enjoy watching the cutscenes and I guess I just like the story and characters enough to not really care, but if you're looking for pacing and tight storytelling, look elsewhere. I don't think anyone in their right mind, not even the most hardcore of hardcore fans would ever try to defend MGS4's plot execution, but that doesn't mean you can't like it and enjoy it. Which I do, quite a bit but I don't think people are crazy for not liking it.

I also think MGS4 has by far the best stealth gameplay of the franchise. Many think that it's just a run and gun game, and it can be on easier difficulties, but if you're playing on the harder difficulties and you're going for a no-kill game, well that's when the stealth mechanics really shine. It's quite brilliant actually.

rc213

What are these masks I read about? Are there infinite ammo weapons and other goodies to unlock like in previous MGS games?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I just started playing this game and want to avoid all FAQ sites until I pass it once.

jayb

rc213 said:
What are these masks I read about? Are there infinite ammo weapons and other goodies to unlock like in previous MGS games?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I just started playing this game and want to avoid all FAQ sites until I pass it once.

keep playing the game and you'll find out about the masks. :D

rc213

jayb said:
keep playing the game and you'll find out about the masks. :D

Alright thanks, I'm loving it so far. Just one last questions, Does this game have anything like MGS2 Dogtag collecting? I loved that.

I really wish I could see MGS2 redone in the MGS4 engine. The intro to the tanker level with the bridge jumpoff would be epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom