• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love this game, didn't care about its flaws.

It was fantastic from start to finish, and I enjoyed every moment.
That said, I don't expect a Trophy patch.

Wouldn't mind some MGS3-style "Nightmare" DLC with Raiden though.

Blader

brandonh83 said:
It's an amazing game but I wouldn't think badly of anyone who didn't like the narrative flow. Amir0x and jett have been very vocal in bashing the game's plot structure, and while jett doesn't have his Mr. Negativity badge for no reason, at least the complaints are sensible. Personally I just enjoy watching the cutscenes and I guess I just like the story and characters enough to not really care, but if you're looking for pacing and tight storytelling, look elsewhere. I don't think anyone in their right mind, not even the most hardcore of hardcore fans would ever try to defend MGS4's plot execution, but that doesn't mean you can't like it and enjoy it. Which I do, quite a bit but I don't think people are crazy for not liking it.

Yeah, I love Metal Gear and would rank it as one of my favorite game franchises of all time (second only to Zelda), but I'd never defend the plot execution in MGS4--or any MGS game--as being good. Not that it bothers me, though, since I always found those "flaws" as part of the charm. For me, the more crazy and convoluted the story is, the better. :D

Thaedolus

So this is the one game I own for PS3. I don't own a PS3, but my roommate had one a little over a year ago when it came out, so I bought it, played it for a few days until I beat it, haven't touched it since. With the PS3 Slim and price drop, I'm planning on starting a MGS Marathon this week. MGS, MGS2, MGS3 and hopefully I'll be ready for 4 by the time my slim gets here.

I'm gonna be basically starting MGS4 from scratch, as I don't have any saves from last time and don't remember much of the actual gameplay (just story bits.) Any advice?

I'm thinking about replaying this now, the first time I went through I know I missed loads of neat secrets, anything specific I should look out for or try on my next playthrough?

Blader5489 said:
Yeah, I love Metal Gear and would rank it as one of my favorite game franchises of all time (second only to Zelda), but I'd never defend the plot execution in MGS4--or any MGS game--as being good. Not that it bothers me, though, since I always found those "flaws" as part of the charm. For me, the more crazy and convoluted the story is, the better. :D

Honestly, if you ask me, the worst, and I mean the worst thing about MGS4 is the globe-trotting plane. Seriously. It's incredibly lazy and boring. I wish the transition between acts weren't all in the stupid Scooby-Doo plane. All of them. All they do is fly. They tried to help it out with the item collecting and camera-angle freedom but it wasn't enough. Either you listen to the conversations or drive Mk. II around and miss what they're saying.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Snake's on a Plane

If it weren't for this I would think MGS4 flows ten times better. Why not:

Act I: Snake gets captured during climax, hauled off to South America
Act II: Naomi frees Snake from imprisonment, Act II plays out as normal except Meryl's Foxhound shows up and saves them, Raiden fights Vamp, they get away in whatever transportation Foxhound came in
Act III: Snake goes with Foxhound to Europe. Same events after that. Ocelot goes crazy on boats, kills shit, ratatatatattatttttataattt!!! and then drags Snake off to Shadow Moses to rub his plans in his face because he's a dick
Act IV: Snake wakes up in the torture bed from MGS1, you do that part again, Snake escapes from the very same cell, act proceeds as usual
Act V: Ocelot drags Snake out of the battle wreckage and beats the fuck out of him some more and they get on Fat Arsenal Gear Mt. Rushmore Edition and Raiden/Foxhound infiltrates, all hell breaks loose, Snake crawls through the microwave, uploads the virus killing the hell out of JD, final battle, ending

I mean that's how I would have did it. I was just getting tired of all these snakes on this mother fucking plane. Other than that MGS4 is the shit and my favorite.

So, I finally got the Platinum editon and the cover looks horrible. I read somewhere that you can download game covers and print it out. Does somebody have a good looking MGS4-cover?

ZeroRay said:
Decided to replay again. My God, this game is awesome but I thought the same after I finished Act 2 the first time. In Act 3 now and this is when the game lost some of its impact for me. An almost one hour cutscene followed by a slow shadowing section kills the feeling you got after finishing Act 2. Bad pacing Kojima, bad pacing.
yeah... the game got more and more cutscene heavy as it went on... act 3-5 only felt like a fraction of the gameplay of earlier acts

brandonh83 said:
It's an amazing game but I wouldn't think badly of anyone who didn't like the narrative flow. Amir0x and jett have been very vocal in bashing the game's plot structure, and while jett doesn't have his Mr. Negativity badge for no reason, at least the complaints are sensible. Personally I just enjoy watching the cutscenes and I guess I just like the story and characters enough to not really care, but if you're looking for pacing and tight storytelling, look elsewhere. I don't think anyone in their right mind, not even the most hardcore of hardcore fans would ever try to defend MGS4's plot execution, but that doesn't mean you can't like it and enjoy it. Which I do, quite a bit but I don't think people are crazy for not liking it.

I also think MGS4 has by far the best stealth gameplay of the franchise. Many think that it's just a run and gun game, and it can be on easier difficulties, but if you're playing on the harder difficulties and you're going for a no-kill game, well that's when the stealth mechanics really shine. It's quite brilliant actually.
It is a run and gun game. If you put someone used to playing shooters in front of MGS1,2,3 they'd keep dying if they tried to rambo it and they'd be forced to sneak around to get through the game. In MGS4 you put yourself at a bigger disadvantage if you don't run and gun because as soon as an alert goes off when you're in deep you're screwed. Its easier just to kill everyone you see.

infinityBCRT said:
It is a run and gun game. If you put someone used to playing shooters in front of MGS1,2,3 they'd keep dying if they tried to rambo it and they'd be forced to sneak around to get through the game. In MGS4 you put yourself at a bigger disadvantage if you don't run and gun because as soon as an alert goes off when you're in deep you're screwed. Its easier just to kill everyone you see.

But the choice is there, and that's pretty cool.

I showed a buddy this thread a couple days ago, today, he texts me saying he bought it because of the thread.:lol GJ BruceLeeRoy even after 15 months. :lol

Darkpen

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
One of the biggest flaws of MGS4 is that they never explain that the significance of neutral or blue/green names, versus red names. Put a controller infront of someone who didn't follow MGS4 preview coverage, and they'll kill the militia. Guaranteed. Not only that, but they will run and gun, and ultimately, that's what Very Easy and Easy is for. Its impossible to watch someone play that way when they're clearly not doing it to clown around, and its their honest approach to how they assume to play the game.

I haven't read hardly any replies, but it almost seems as though you guys actually like MGS4. Did you guys even play MGS1 and 2? MG1 and 2? Those are good games, and I would recommend buying them and/or saving your money on MGS4.

Piece of poop game. I'm a hardcore MGS gamer and I've yet to see even one good thing about this game. nuff said.

jett

D-Member
Johnny Sasaki said:
I haven't read hardly any replies, but it almost seems as though you guys actually like MGS4. Did you guys even play MGS1 and 2? MG1 and 2? Those are good games, and I would recommend buying them and/or saving your money on MGS4.

Piece of poop game. I'm a hardcore MGS gamer and I've yet to see even one good thing about this game. nuff said.

I lulz at your username. That game nearly ruined MGS4 singlehandedly.

-Winnie-

Johnny Sasaki said:

You bumped the thread for this? Don't think you're special for hating on MGS4, I think it's quite clear a lot of people didn't like the game.

I don't think it's bad at all, it's very Metal Gearish but for many reasons I don't think they'll ever top MGS3. I'm afraid the hate comes mostly from people who can't accept it's a different kind of MGS game or from those who can't assume they just can't simply shoot their way through it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
It's a funny game this is. From being quoted to best current gen game ever to worst MGS. I'm still of the opinion the haters either aren't playing right or just plain don't like MGS.

NIGHT-

Teetris said:
It's a funny game this is. From being quoted to best current gen game ever to worst MGS. I'm still of the opinion the haters either aren't playing right or just plain don't like MGS.

It's indeed the worst MGS game.

NIGHT- said:
It's indeed the worst MGS game.

Many games would love to be the worst MGS. But is it inferior to Portable Ops? (Yes, it counts)

But if I think about it, I think I enjoyed the storyline development in MPO better. Maybe because it is more to the point.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Teetris said:

I would have to disgree with you on that one. Compared to the best game of all time (MGS2 of course), MGS4 is nothing what I wanted or what it should be. After 2 it went downhill pretty fast. Terrible story, terrible music, too americanized, LOADING SCREEN, terrible presentation, nanomachines, LOADING SCREEN, PMCs,
Snake living at the end and Ocelot faking it

Bit-Bit

Johnny Sasaki said:

Dude just play the game. And saying you're a hardcore MGS gamer doesn't change your shitty opinions.

The game was good, even great for some. It won game of the year at many places. Does the game have faults? Yes. But the good far outweigh the bad. But to call it a "piece of poop" game is just ridiculous.

rvy

Banned
jett said:
I lulz at your username. That game nearly ruined MGS4 singlehandedly.
Oh, God... why did you have to make me remember that dreaded wedding scene.

Replaying the game as we speak, Act 3. I guess I'm pretty harsh on it, but whatever. It's not as terrible as I make it out to be, but it's not any decent either, by MGS standards.

21e3ms2.gif

u7aqe.gif

This was pretty cool though. Excuse the shitty quality, YouTube rips, not my fault.

Matchew

I just don't get all the hate that MGS4 gets. Act 4 was the best Act I have every played in my life it was just awesome, I would just run around at the beginning of Act 4 with the biggest fucking smile on my face:D . Ya there were ton of movie scenes, but damn they were great. I would agree that Act 5 was a disappointment and that the ending could have been better, but damn Act 4 was great.

ronito

Darkpen said:
One of the biggest flaws of MGS4 is that they never explain that the significance of neutral or blue/green names, versus red names. Put a controller infront of someone who didn't follow MGS4 preview coverage, and they'll kill the militia. Guaranteed. Not only that, but they will run and gun, and ultimately, that's what Very Easy and Easy is for. Its impossible to watch someone play that way when they're clearly not doing it to clown around, and its their honest approach to how they assume to play the game.
hahaha!

I just started MGS4 and didn't pay any attention to the coverage. And yes I've killed militia when they're in my way. :(

Luckily I'm only about an hour in (just found Drebin) but still....

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
This discussion is going to be revived a trillion more times, but hell, I'll put my two cents in anyways.

Crazy convoluted storyline with too much story exposition, and ridiculously impossible scenarios? That's exactly what I play MGS for. I wouldn't have enjoyed MGS4 if it wasn't so ridiculous.

Even though MGS1 is my favorite Metal Gear (not because it is the most tame), I can't help but LOVE MGS4. It's exactly what I wanted from the final chapter of Snake's journey. It is, bar none, the most EPIC game of the generation. I can't say I'm in love with every decision Kojima has made in terms of tying up loose ends -- but I can say I am in love with the whole package.

This is an incredible game. Angry fanboys will run rampant on every big official game thread. We've seen it for Halo. We've seen it for Gears. We've seen it for Final Fantasy. You can't make everyone happy.

<3 MGS4

shinshero

ProudClod said:
This discussion is going to be revived a trillion more times, but hell, I'll put my two cents in anyways.

Crazy convoluted storyline with too much story exposition, and ridiculously impossible scenarios? That's exactly what I play MGS for. I wouldn't have enjoyed MGS4 if it wasn't so ridiculous.

Even though MGS1 is my favorite Metal Gear (not because it is the most tame), I can't help but LOVE MGS4. It's exactly what I wanted from the final chapter of Snake's journey. It is, bar none, the most EPIC game of the generation. I can't say I'm in love with every decision Kojima has made in terms of tying up loose ends -- but I can say I am in love with the whole package.

This is an incredible game. Angry fanboys will run rampant on every big official game thread. We've seen it for Halo. We've seen it for Gears. We've seen it for Final Fantasy. You can't make everyone happy.

<3 MGS4

This.

MGS 4 is still my game of the generation, with Act 4 not being able to be touched by none.

(PS: Although Uncharted 2 so far seems like it might be a contender!)

rvy

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
Kind of like Nintendo with Mother series...
Correct. The Japanese seem to enjoy trolling us this generation, God knows why.
If you're not gonna patch it, then stop commenting on the issue, it's easier for everybody involved.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Shikashi said:
Correct. The Japanese seem to enjoy trolling us this generation, God knows why.
If you're not gonna patch it, then stop commenting on the issue, it's easier for everybody involved.

They're just enjoying the westernised game industry strategies. "Not ready yet? Fuck it, ship it. We can always patch it later."

And when they're prompted for said patch they'll be like "Naw, we're on coffee break. Maybe later."

I've been on the fence on replaying MGS4 for the longest time now, but I don't want to do it if a trophy patch is on the way. Wouldn't want to delete game data or whatever just to implement trophies. Better to wait. :/

rvy

Banned
Sword Familiar said:
They're just enjoying the westernised game industry strategies. "Not ready yet? Fuck it, ship it. We can always patch it later."

And when they're prompted for said patch they'll be like "Naw, we're on coffee break. Maybe later."

I've been on the fence on replaying MGS4 for the longest time now, but I don't want to do it if a trophy patch is on the way. Wouldn't want to delete game data or whatever just to implement trophies. Better to wait. :/
Dude, after 1 year and a few months, I think it's pretty safe to assume it's bullshit and the Trophies patch is not coming. Replay the game, but don't bother getting the emblems.

Anyway, why the fuck is there such a lack of Chaff grenades? I'm at Shadow Moses and only have (had), 2 or whatever it was. The scarabs are annoying enough with the Chaff Grenades... I think there's only 3 or 4 spots in the game where you can get them, this is bullshit.

-Winnie- said:
You bumped the thread for this? Don't think you're special for hating on MGS4, I think it's quite clear a lot of people didn't like the game.

I don't think I'm special, I bumped it for a little drama. We get WAY too much of it over at TUS and I was seeing none of it here. So I attempted to add some. It worked.

I was serious though, MGS4 is one of the worst games I've ever played, and I've been gaming since the first Nintendo and have had almost every console there was to be had since. Some of them twice.

WARNING: SPOILERS!!!!!!

Why? Have any of you even played MGS1? Like, seriously played it, or just fucked around with friends in the room and didn't really take in the whole story. Because I've played them all like 50 times each (with exception to the shitty MGS4) including the ones for MSX and NES, and not only did the story suck, but (with a little help from MGS3 and MPO) completely screwed over the rest of the previous games.

How? It explained too much, and it did so extreamly poorly and cheesly.

For example: Eva being Snakes mother? Really? C'mon guys, cut me a little fucking slack. That's the best they could come up with? Shrinking the MGS universe once again. I believe there has been a total of like ten characters in all of the MGS games, including the Ac!d's. On top of that, they brought back Zero? For fucks sake, they did it again! Now he's the head of the Patriots or whatever? Great, and old guy in a wheelchair. Think about that the next time you play MGS2 and tell me it's still as cool. I expected big dogs from congress or fortune 500 companies (with the exception of Otacon telling snake they were all dead for over a hundred years at the end of MGS2, but they could still include people like Thomas Jefferson and Benjanin Franklin or something) I'll accept that I guess, but Big Boss brings him to a graveyard just to pull the plug on him there? Now we got three old guys huddled in a graveyard, and two of them die within a minute of eachother, from what would look like old age to the untrained eye. Wow, I'm in awe.

Then the B&B core was a joke to say the least, Liquid-Ocelot didn't have the same voice actor for Liquid and he was apparently faking the whole thing. Awesome again, that totally ruins MGS2's suspense. Ocelot isn't supposed to die btw, he's supposed to be invincible and all knowing. That was his character in case you didn't notice. And then he up and dies. Vamp didn't really have any powers IT WAS ALL TEH NANOMAHSHINES!!!101!!1!! Yay. Nanomachines were pretty much the explanation for everything in MGS4. Got a question that needs answering from a previous game? It was the nanomachines.

So I suppose Decoy Octopus must have got his powers from nanomachines then, and the rest of all the bosses from all the previous games? How am I supposed to take any of that seriously when I clearly remember all of them taking a half hour to die whilst explaining their entire past? They all conveniently forgot to mention how their parents fed them nano breakfast.

A microwave tunnel? Johnny getting married to Meryl? Drebin? Raiden a new cyborg ninja with his entire body replaced with machinery?

And I'm sure there's more I'm missing. Taking all that into account, I'm pretty sure I couldn't have made this game any worse if I tried. What do could you people possibly like?

Darkpen

Banned
Wow, so basically you're throwing shit at the wall just because it was nice and clean? Screw you, man. You can take your drama back to TUS. We already had our share of arguments in this thread, and the official thread has remained as a place to post your LTTP thoughts and small bits of news rather than a place to rage like an idiot.

Yes, MGS4 isn't the best game ever, but screw you. I'm not even going to read your entire post. Just glancing over it makes me lose brain cells. This isn't GameFAQs, bro. Take that shit and gtfo.

Darkpen said:

i've beaten the game three times and I still don't know what that means.

i kill anyone who tries to kill me, and that's pretty much how i play through the game each time. i only use non-lethal methods unless i'm in alert mode. game is most fun that way, i think. CQC is so fucking fun.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Johnny Sasaki said:
I don't think I'm special, I bumped it for a little drama. We get WAY too much of it over at TUS and I was seeing none of it here. So I attempted to add some. It worked.

I was serious though, MGS4 is one of the worst games I've ever played, and I've been gaming since the first Nintendo and have had almost every console there was to be had since. Some of them twice.

Why? Have any of you even played MGS1? Like, seriously played it, or just fucked around with friends in the room and didn't really take in the whole story. Because I've played them all like 50 times each (with exception to the shitty MGS4) including the ones for MSX and NES, and not only did the story suck, but (with a little help from MGS3 and MPO) completely screwed over the rest of the previous games.

For example: Eva being Snakes mother? Really? C'mon guys, cut me a little fucking slack. That's the best they could come up with? Shrinking the MGS universe once again. I believe there has been a total of like ten characters in all of the MGS games, including the Ac!d's. On top of that, they brought back Zero? For fucks sake, they did it again! Now he's the head of the Patriots or whatever? Great, and old guy in a wheelchair. Think about that the next time you play MGS2 and tell me it's still as cool. I expected big dogs from congress or fortune 500 companies (with the exception of Otacon telling snake they were all dead for over a hundred years at the end of MGS2, but they could still include people like Thomas Jefferson and Benjanin Franklin or something) I'll accept that I guess, but Big Boss brings him to a graveyard just to pull the plug on him there? Now we got three old guys huddled in a graveyard, and two of them die within a minute of eachother, from what would look like old age to the untrained eye. Wow, I'm in awe.

Then the B&B core was a joke to say the least, Liquid-Ocelot didn't have the same voice actor for Liquid and he was apparently faking the whole thing. Awesome again, that totally ruins MGS2's suspense. Ocelot isn't supposed to die btw, he's supposed to be invincible and all knowing. That was his character in case you didn't notice. And then he up and dies. Vamp didn't really have any powers IT WAS ALL TEH NANOMAHSHINES!!!101!!1!! Yay. Nanomachines were pretty much the explanation for everything in MGS4. Got a question that needs answering from a previous game? It was the nanomachines.

So I suppose Decoy Octopus must have got his powers from nanomachines then, and the rest of all the bosses from all the previous games? How am I supposed to take any of that seriously when I clearly remember all of them taking a half hour to die whilst explaining their entire past? They all conveniently forgot to mention how their parents fed them nano breakfast.

A microwave tunnel? Johnny getting married to Meryl? Drebin? Raiden a new cyborg ninja with his entire body replaced with machinery?

And I'm sure there's more I'm missing. Taking all that into account, I'm pretty sure I couldn't have made this game any worse if I tried. What do could you people possibly like?

Excellent speech post my friend. I've been saying this since the 3rd day after release but it always falls on deaf ears:(

Let us progress... MGS: PW for the redeption?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
A microwave tunnel?
What? The most amazing, dramatic video game experience in my 20 year old life.

Liquidus said:
Let us progress... MGS: PW for the redeption?

almost definitely if the rest of the game is like the demo. Controls need to be changed/added in a few places, but it feels like a return to form for Metal Gear to me. And I'm super stoked for the story, too.

tass0

Banned
Johnny Sasaki said:

Great post. I agree, MGS4 is a joke for a Metal Gear game. But we must accept it, our beloved franchise is turning into shit. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker and Rising? No thank you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom