• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You'll thank me when you reach act 4. Keep on playing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
+ 1 for keep playing, I'm a big MGS fan and I <3 4. Both 3 and 4 have some really great stealth parts. It has alot more combat and action than the other games but 3 and especially 4 have some awesome stealth gameplay. Don't stop. It's become popular to hate, but it was the GAF GOTY last year for a reason, if you're a fan of the series it really is a great conclusion.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Solo said:
He'll only thank you if hes the type to get swept up in nostalgia.
There's a difference in nostalgia (playing MGS1 and get all swept up) and nostalgia he'll get while playing MGS4. It's not the same thing.

Solo

Its exactly the same thing. They obviously designed Act 4 as pure fan service, to get long time fans to recall MGS1.

All it ended up accomplishing for me in the end was making me want to play MGS1 instead of 4.

rvy

Banned
Seiken said:
There's a difference in nostalgia (playing MGS1 and get all swept up) and nostalgia he'll get while playing MGS4. It's not the same thing.
Definitely, in MGS 4, that nostalgia will be ruined by scarabs and Gekkous. :lol

Yoshichan

Solo said:
Its exactly the same thing. They obviously designed Act 4 as pure fan service, to get long time fans to recall MGS1.

All it ended up accomplishing for me in the end was making me want to play MGS1 instead of 4.
You got to play your MGS1, remember ;)?

Oh and Shikashi, Gekkos were genius and interesting to fight.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
With or without nostalgia, Act 4 has some great steal gameplay.
Sneaking by the red eyesight beams was intense, there were some parts later on that are really intense you if you try to go stealthy through them. Of course if you just try to shoot down the Geckos it's gonna be retarded, but if you sneak and crawl and wait MGS style it's a blast to play.

Yoshichan

Snuggler said:
With or without nostalgia, Act 4 has some great steal gameplay.
Sneaking by the red eyesight beams was intense, there were some parts later on that are really intense you if you try to go stealthy through them. Of course if you just try to shoot down the Geckos it's gonna be retarded, but if you sneak and crawl and wait MGS style it's a blast to play.
Agreed, also...
the part where Otacon, the bastard, is saying that the two Gekkos in the snow field where you beat Vulcan Raven (Tank) in MGS1, are dead... and sweet jesus, they weren't, god damn it scared me to hell.

rvy

Banned
Seiken said:
Oh and Shikashi, Gekkos were genius and interesting to fight.
In the first 2 acts, yeah, they just provided a bigger challenge than if it was just the PMCs, but in act 4, they're just bad design choices. Exactly like the scarabs, a very annoying enemy.

Deploying a PMC in Shadow Moses, or FROGS even, would have made it much better.

Yoshichan

Shikashi said:
In the first 2 acts, yeah, they just provided a bigger challenge than if it was just the PMCs, but in act 4, they're just bad design choices. Exactly like the scarabs, a very annoying enemy.

Deploying a PMC in Shadow Moses, or FROGS even, would have made it much better.
I never noticed if they were annoying the first time I played through the game because I fucking rocked so I don't blame you for letting them notice you ;)

Chaff Grenades baby. Gotta know your MGS right, son!

rvy

Banned
Seiken said:
I never noticed if they were annoying the first time I played through the game because I fucking rocked so I don't blame you for letting them notice you ;)

Chaff Grenades baby. Gotta know your MGS right, son!
I already complained about the lack of Chaff grenades a few pages ago. You can only get them in 3 or 4 spots in the whole game.

Besides, I can't toy with soldiers in act 4.

Yoshichan

Shikashi said:
I already complained about the lack of Chaff grenades a few pages ago. You can only get them in 3 or 4 spots in the whole game.

Besides, I can't toy with soldiers in act 4.
You're right, the lack of Chaffs were annoying but for some reason I hadn't used them up until Act 4... ;D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, they were annoying if you set off alerts and tried to fight them, but if you were a true Snake you would be able to sneak through their beams like a pimp and not have to deal with that shit in the first place. In my first playthrough, I did set them off and it sucked, but the second time I managed to sneak by their line of sight like a bad ass and I never had to bother with fighting them, same with the geckos.

P.S. I didn't even know there were Chaff's in MGS4, I guess you learn something new everyday.

Yoshichan

Snuggler said:
same with the geckos.
The part
where Otacon needs to open up the door and you're there protecting him from a Gekko is what defines the word "intense".
Damn I want to replay this game again.

rvy

Banned
Seiken said:
The part
where Otacon needs to open up the door and you're there protecting him from a Gekko is what defines the word "intense".
I'll admit, that was pretty cool.

Yoshichan

Shikashi said:
I'll admit, that was pretty cool.
Hell yeah, you know what I'm talking about!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
What about the split-screen part with raiden vs vamp on one side and snake dealing with gekkos on the other one?

What about the Ray vs Rex fight?

So many awesome moments.
2hx3bpg.gif

Seiken said:
Hell yeah, you know what I'm talking about!

It wasn't intense for me once I figured out an exploit in the Gekko's AI. Every time I ran up the times, it would jump up onto the next level to stop me. All I had to do was run back downstairs and it would jump back down onto the floor. The whole entire time, I just ran up and down the stairs.

onken

heliosRAzi said:
It wasn't intense for me once I figured out an exploit in the Gekko's AI. Every time I ran up the times, it would jump up onto the next level to stop me. All I had to do was run back downstairs and it would jump back down onto the floor. The whole entire time, I just ran up and down the stairs.

Or you could just kill it in 2 hits with the .50 sniper rifle.

Yoshichan

heliosRAzi said:
Why would you want to exploit an AI the first time through?

Blablurn

damn it, i love it when you bump this thread. so many good memories <3 too bad i never got into metal gear online. i regret it that i let it drop so fast..

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
TTP said:
What about the split-screen part with raiden vs vamp on one side and snake dealing with gekkos on the other one?

So many awesome moments.
2hx3bpg.gif
People here seem to forget very quickly. I'm willing to bet most of them finished it under 10 hours and then never touched it again.

rvy

Banned
TTP said:

So many awesome moments.
2hx3bpg.gif
I hate how the choreography for the Raiden vs Vamp fight on top of REX was so badly used. I can never pay enough attention to it since I'm busy with the Gekkous and it's really awesome to look at.

REX vs RAY, I did not care much for.

Snake vs Ocelot on top of Outer Heaven is where the money's at. Amazing integration of cutscenes and gameplay during the fight, good enough animation and jaw-dropping background.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Teetris said:
People here seem to forget very quickly. I'm willing to bet most of them finished it under 10 hours and then never touched it again.

The beauty of MGS4 (as well as any recent MGS actually) is you can get back to it multiple times and keep discovering new stuff. Not talking just items or secrets, but new strategies and events. I did play Uncharted 2 twice (on Hard and Crushing) and I don't feel compelled to play it again a third time.

I completed MGS4 SIX TIMES.

I honestly feel sorry for those that completed it only once. So much left on the plate...
If trophies were there, more people would have realized this I guess.

jett

D-Member
Seiken said:
The part

yeah...it'd be intense except for the fact that the gekko goes down from a couple of rpgs. :p Being able to buy ammo from Drebin at any point during the game, and Drebin himself, is one of the dumbest things Kojima could have added to MGS4. Cheapens the entire game. I guess he loved RE4's merchants. :p Only Drebin is so much worse.

rvy

Banned
jett said:
yeah...it'd be intense except for the fact that the gekko goes down from a couple of rpgs. :p Being able to buy ammo from Drebin at any point during the game, and Drebin himself, is one of the dumbest things Kojima could have added to MGS4. Cheapens the entire game. I guess he loved RE4's merchants. :p Only Drebin is so much worse.
Even if he loved RE 4's merchant, the merchant had specific locations and you couldn't just press start at any point and stock up on ammo... actually, you couldn't even buy ammo.

jett

D-Member
Shikashi said:
Even if he loved RE 4's merchant, the merchant had specific locations and you couldn't just press start at any point and stock up on ammo... actually, you couldn't even buy ammo.

That and you end up collecting a MASSIVE amount of money in MGS4. You buy ammo over and over and all the weapons you want because shit, you have cash to spare. And all that cash and weapons stick with you even if you choose another difficulty level. So fucking broken.

if you needed to buy ammo at any point in the game you played it wrong anyway
seriously...

besides at this fight
you have a Rail Gun anyway that oneshots the Gekkos ;P

edit: uhm, the money carries over on game+ because there is bonus stuff&weapons to buy etc... how does that break the game :lol
you are free to start a new game any time if you don't want to unlock everything ;)

SCReuter

jett said:
That and you end up collecting a MASSIVE amount of money in MGS4. You buy ammo over and over and all the weapons you want because shit, you have cash to spare. And all that cash and weapons stick with you even if you choose another difficulty level. So fucking broken.

Yeah, and in previous Metal Gear installments, I didn't even need cash because, shit, floating ammunition boxes just magically reappeared everywhere I stepped.

But maybe I wasn't supposed to bring up that little inconvenient truth... FUCK METAL GEAR SOLID 4.

jett

D-Member
SolidusDave said:
i
edit: uhm, the money carries over on game+ because there is bonus stuff&weapons to buy etc... how does that break the game :lol
you are free to start a new game any time if you don't want to unlock everything ;)

Should be done exactly like RE4, your game carries on only on the difficulty level you finished it on. Shit, MGS3 does it like that too.

Yeah, and in previous Metal Gear installments, I didn't even need cash because, shit, floating ammunition boxes just magically reappeared everywhere I stepped.

Not even remotely the same.

rvy

Banned
SolidusDave said:
if you needed to buy ammo at any point in the game you played it wrong anyway
seriously...
I don't get this. Does this mean that Kojima wants people to play the game the wrong way then? :lol

There's no right way, or wrong way, in MGS 4. You can just shoot your way through it and be done with it or waste your time and sneak around. It's kinda obvious that Kojima doesn't really care which way you play it.

Shikashi said:
I don't get this. Does this mean that Kojima wants people to play the game the wrong way then? :lol

There's no right way, or wrong way, in MGS 4. You can just shoot your way through it and be done with it or waste your time and sneak around. It's kinda obvious that Kojima doesn't really care which way you play it.

Then why do you complain about Drebins Shop?
It's your choice if you want to buy ammo.

while you can play ANY MGS game the way you want (that's a good thing), you obviously will want to try the stealth way (and I would even recommend to NOT use the tranquillizer if possible) if only because otherwise you will miss a lot of stuff and the gameplay shines if you don't shoot everyone in the head or run around with your MG on auto fire.
You won't see many interactions with the guards and eastereggs etc. if you run straight forward on alarm mode, so I would even go so far to say that Kojima has a specific playing style in mind but wants also the casuals/shooterfans to finish his game.

I've seen people playing MGS games on very easy and I bet you would agree that it's really painful to watch :lol (though to be fair: if you play stealth you actually make the game harder for yourself on purpose on the lower difficulty levels but it's also way more fun/intense)

SCReuter

jett said:

I just replayed Sons of Liberty. Ammunition appears and reappears in every corner of every room and hallway of Discovery and Big Shell. During certain boss battles, I literally had ammunition boxes regenerating directly where I was standing. Want to take a guess if I ever ran out of bullets?

SolidusDave said:
while you can play ANY MGS game the way you want (that's a good thing), you obviously will want to try the stealth way (and I would even recommend to NOT use the tranquillizer if possible) if only because otherwise you will miss a lot of stuff and the gameplay shines if you don't shoot everyone in the head or run around with your MG on auto fire.
You won't see many interactions with the guards and eastereggs etc. if you run straight forward on alarm mode, so I would even go so far to say that Kojima has a specific playing style in mind but wants also the casuals/shooterfans to finish his game.

And isn't there a medal system in place? As far as I know, it's not possible to get the highest ranking by going all Rambo.

Muffdraul

SolidusDave said:
besides at this fight
you have a Rail Gun anyway that oneshots the Gekkos

Not the first time through the game.
The door you're trying to open there is the door that leads to the Wolf boss battle, and defeating her is what gets you the rail gun.

rvy

Banned
SolidusDave said:
Then why do you complain about Drebins Shop?
It's your choice if you want to buy ammo.

I've seen people playing MGS games on very easy and I bet you would agree that it's really painful to watch :lol (though to be fair: if you play stealth you actually make the game harder for yourself on purpose on the lower difficulty levels but it's also way more fun/intense)
Because it's just something else that shows how this game is not meant to be played one way or another.

You can't play the other MGS games with the same lack of interest regarding stealth as you play MGS 4. The game almost invites you into killing PMC troops. Look at Arsenal Gear for example, you're running around naked with no weapons, you can't go around shooting people, especially in higher difficulty settings. Not unless you're a retard that doesn't understand that this isn't your everyday shooter.

Choices are fine, I don't dislike that, but there's a difference between choice and the game using mechanics designed to help you kill people.

The difference, in MGS 4, is that the game wants you to kill people. The amount of weapons, improved shooting mechanics and so on is all the proof you need. Now, I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that you couldn't do the same in MGS, MGS 2 and MGS 3, you could, but you'd get fucked if you did. There wasn't enough ammo to begin with (and don't say Bandanna, FFS.) and the areas weren't big enough for you to do that. MGS and MGS 2 are set on corridors and tight areas. MGS 3 is more open-ended, but not enough. MGS 4 is just open battlefield, basically.

Is this bad? Not really, I even enjoyed the first 2 acts more than the rest of the game, but don't tell me that MGS 4 is just like the other games.

jett

D-Member
BigBoss said:
That Gekko deflects any rocket you shoot at it, so you couldn't have killed it with an RPG.

If it wasn't an RPG it was one of those anti-tank missiles then, same difference. I KNOW they go down with those rockets at least, it's what I use to kill them in the drebin truck chase, so no they don't deflect all rockets, in fact I've never seen them deflect anything. You can also instakill them with the 50cal sniper rifle. Point is they pose no threat at all.

Raziel

SCReuter said:
Yeah, and in previous Metal Gear installments, I didn't even need cash because, shit, floating ammunition boxes just magically reappeared everywhere I stepped

jett said:

magic respawning ammo boxes during boss fights are just as silly, unrealistic, and "broken" as being able to buy ammo on the fly. there's really no difference at all.

jett

D-Member
raziel said:
magic respawning ammo boxes during boss fights are just as silly, unrealistic, and "broken" as being able to buy ammo on the fly. there's really no difference at all.

There's a pretty massive difference. It's not about being unrealistic or silly either, I don't care about that. In MGS2 for example during the 20-Ray bossfight it serves the game to have respawning ammo boxes, otherwise the fight itself would be broken. It'd be literally impossible to finish it. In MGS4 you have access to an unlimited arsenal of weapons any time you want during any situation in the game. There's zero tension during the game, and by game I mean the first two acts, because you can virtually buttfuck any pack of soldiers coming your way, no matter the difficulty level. How is that the same? I mean just a few posts above I just described an easy way to totally break a scene in the game that should be pretty intense, but in the end it really isn't and lasts all 5 seconds for me.

BigBoss

jett said:
If it wasn't an RPG it was one of those anti-tank missiles then, same difference. I KNOW they go down with those rockets at least, it's what I use to kill them in the drebin truck chase, so no they don't deflect all rockets, in fact I've never seen them deflect anything. You can also instakill them with the 50cal sniper rifle. Point is they pose no threat at all.

The Gekkos in the Drebin chase scene don't have the deflectors. At the end of Act 2 when you're running through the marketplace to the chopper a Gekko is blocking the path at the end, it will deflect any rocket whether its from an RPG or a Javelin. The same goes for that Gekko in Shadow Moses when Otacon is trying to open the door, you can't hit it with any type of rocket.

Raziel

jett said:
There's a pretty massive difference. It's not about being unrealistic or silly either, I don't care about that. In MGS2 for example during the 20-Ray bossfight it serves the game to have respawning ammo boxes, otherwise the fight itself would be broken. It'd be literally impossible to finish it. In MGS4 you have access to an unlimited arsenal of weapons any time you want during any situation in the game. There's zero tension during the game, and by game I mean the first two acts, because you can virtually buttfuck any pack of soldiers coming your way, no matter the difficulty level. How is that the same? I mean just a few posts above I just described an easy way to totally break a scene in the game that should be pretty intense, but in the end it really isn't and lasts all 5 seconds for me.
what i mainly saw you harp on with regards to drebin is being able to buy ammo over and over which - yes - is exactly the same as respawning ammo boxes. imagine no respawning ammo boxes during the ray fight in mgs2, you have to buy it from a drebin menu instead - the same.

i cant really argue about being able to buy a bunch of different weapons because what someone is able to buy and when is going to vary from playthrough to playthrough and person to person. not everyone could afford multiple rpgs and several rifles at any point in the game.

jett

D-Member
BigBoss said:
The Gekkos in the Drebin chase scene don't have the deflectors. At the end of Act 2 when you're running through the marketplace to the chopper a Gekko is blocking the path at the end, it will deflect any rocket whether its from an RPG or a Javelin. The same goes for that Gekko in Shadow Moses when Otacon is trying to open the door, you can't hit it with any type of rocket.

I just suffered through one of MGS4' act-loads to see if my mind was playing tricks on me. Loaded up a marketplace save and I can confirm that you can kill all of the Gekkos in the marketplace with rockets, except that last one. Weird how it's the only one that deflects shit. :p I guess it's more of a barrier to the end of the level than an enemy. You can kill it with the 50 cal though...just like the act 4 gekko, so...same difference.

Muffdraul

jett said:
I just suffered through one of MGS4' act-loads to see if my mind was playing tricks on me. Loaded up a marketplace save and I can confirm that you can kill all of the Gekkos in the marketplace with rockets, except that last one. Weird how it's the only one that deflects shit. :p I guess it's more of a barrier to the end of the level than an enemy. You can kill it with the 50 cal though...just like the act 4 gekko, so...same difference.

Again, the 50 cal rifle isn't available at that point in the game the first time through. That's what counts. Replaying the game using the über weapons you unlocked the first time through to mow down tough opponents is a bonus reward for completing the game. Can't really argue that it breaks the game when you always have the option to start a new file.

Muffdraul said:
Not the first time through the game.
The door you're trying to open there is the door that leads to the Wolf boss battle, and defeating her is what gets you the rail gun.

uhm,
but the Wolf Boss fight is before the fight with the Gekkos near Rex

SolidusDave said:
uhm,
but the Wolf Boss fight is before the fight with the Gekkos near Rex
He's talking about after
the bit in the computer lab in the nuclear warhead storage building where Mk. III has 2 minutes or so to unlock the door and a Gekko comes in from the elevator and you need to take it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom