• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffdraul

SolidusDave said:
uhm,
but the Wolf Boss fight is before the fight with the Gekkos near Rex

Uhm,
the gekko encounter that was being discussed was the one that comes from the elevator in warhead storage while Otacon is trying to unlock the door.

Muffdraul said:
Uhm,
the gekko encounter that was being discussed was the one that comes from the elevator in warhead storage while Otacon is trying to unlock the door.

whoops sorry, somehow I read it as the other fight, my bad.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
TTP said:
The beauty of MGS4 (as well as any recent MGS actually) is you can get back to it multiple times and keep discovering new stuff. Not talking just items or secrets, but new strategies and events. I did play Uncharted 2 twice (on Hard and Crushing) and I don't feel compelled to play it again a third time.

I completed MGS4 SIX TIMES.

I honestly feel sorry for those that completed it only once. So much left on the plate...
If trophies were there, more people would have realized this I guess.
10 times here, which is funny considering of my collection of 30+ PS3 games I've only ever finished 4 of them. MGS4 really was that special to actually make me commit to the game.

The absolute worst is not punishing people who run and gun and instead build the game around this to encourage FPS players of getting the game. Should've learned from MGS3 imo. Still you can't say the old school stealth approach has suffered from this, they did an amazing job implementing both.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Teetris said:
10 times here, which is funny considering of my collection of 30+ PS3 games I've only ever finished 4 of them. MGS4 really was that special to actually make me commit to the game.

The absolute worst is not punishing people who run and gun and instead build the game around this to encourage FPS players of getting the game. Should've learned from MGS3 imo. Still you can't say the old school stealth approach has suffered from this, they did an amazing job implementing both.

74 times, this includes the Japanese, PAL and N/A versions.

Arucardo

Liquidus said:
74 times, this includes the Japanese, PAL and N/A versions.
Uh, wow! Have you played any other games since this was released :lol ? I've only played through the game once since I don't own a PS3, yet. I'll play through it again when I eventually buy a PS3.

Darkpen

Banned
MGS4 suffers from the whole "let's make our game as overly hand-holding as possible so that EVERYONE can beat the game" fad that the industry as a whole had an epiphany of a while ago, which completely wrecked any sense of importance on balance and pacing.

TTP said:
The beauty of MGS4 (as well as any recent MGS actually) is you can get back to it multiple times and keep discovering new stuff. Not talking just items or secrets, but new strategies and events. I did play Uncharted 2 twice (on Hard and Crushing) and I don't feel compelled to play it again a third time.

I completed MGS4 SIX TIMES.

I honestly feel sorry for those that completed it only once. So much left on the plate...
If trophies were there, more people would have realized this I guess.
The problem with MGS4 is the fucking install times. If I didn't need to install, I would have probably gone back to MGS4 several times more than the 8 playthroughs that I've had with the game, and that's not including the few times I've screwed around without saving, either.

More importantly, I barely, if ever, touched MGO. I played the shit out of it during the beta, but fuck if the Konami ID shit needed to be yanked out.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Dave1988 said:
Wow...just wow.

Compared to MGS2, that's nothing. I've replayed MGS2 over 1000 times... and I really wish I could be kidding about that. I usually replay it once a week since release though I went insane in the first two years with replays... man that was such an amazing game. Kind of makes you think what if? (insert MGS3/PO/4 hate here).

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Liquidus said:
Compared to MGS2, that's nothing. I've replayed MGS2 over 1000 times... and I really wish I could be kidding about that. I usually replay it once a week since release though I went insane in the first two years with replays... man that was such an amazing game. Kind of makes you think what if? (insert MGS3/PO/4 hate here).
No fucking way :lol There probably isn't a square inch you don't know about, when did you stop finding new things?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
:lol I stopped finding new things in MGS2 in the first two weeks but given how pretentious and (at times) bat-shit insane it is, it will always be my game of all time.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Liquidus said:
You are my hero.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Liquidus said:
default.jpg

Liquidus said:

Ever made a speed run? I bet you could make a single segment with ease.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The only speed run I did was for the Foxhound (or Big Boss, can't remember) ranking which took 2 and a half hours i think. Never doing that again, ever. That ruined my life for a bout 2 weeks:lol

master15

Apologizes for bumping this thread, but I picked up about a week ago. I am a new PS3 owner and this was the 3rd game for the system I've played.

I have to admit I have some big issues with the game, really a lot of my annoyances steaming from story elements and just the amount of fan service that was included. (And I mean that not in a good way).

Still I had a lot of fun in the early chapters and despite some glaring issues I do plan on going back to the game and replaying it just to mess around and do some of the cool stuff I've read through this thread.

On a side note any Gaffers still play MGO? I started playing this afternoon for the first time. Initially I couldn't find any games in automaking lobby as my level was zero (Waited 3 times for over 10 minutes before being kicked). I eventually joined some games in progress and even though some people were 5-6 levels above me I often found myself in the middle of the table by end of the games and had a huge amount of fun.

If anyone is up for a game please let me know and add me on PSN.

I really want to play the game again before sharing my full thoughts on single player.

Miburou

I really need to replay this game. I played Act 1 again, but then stopped. I love the MGS games to death, but to me it's more about the experience the first time you play it than the actual playing. And I find it weird that people single out MGS4 for making stealth less important when it's actually MGS3 that first ditched the puzzle like layout and gameplay of the series.

Solo

master15 said:
I have to admit I have some big issues with the game, really a lot of my annoyances steaming from story elements and just the amount of fan service that was included. (And I mean that not in a good way).

Its the worst Metal Gear game by a longshot. They finally got the gameplay right, but then they fucked everything else up. The epilogue is the most vomit inducing crap Ive ever seen.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Solo said:
Its the worst Metal Gear game by a longshot. They finally got the gameplay right, but then they fucked everything else up. The epilogue is the most vomit inducing crap Ive ever seen.
Damn, always so harsh buI I love it . I thought the ending was okay but like with most of Kojimas cutscenes, it was way too long. There is too much that is overexplained and he always has about 6 or 7 too many twists, it makes me wonder why he spends so much time telling a story when a twist says it's all bullshit in the end. But I still believe Guns is a great game, it's a shame that I probably won't be able to play his next.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Solo said:

Pretty much exactly this. Most disappointing game I have EVER played.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, so much hate considering it was GAF goty last year, I wonder what happened to all the people that voted for it. Off topic, but what's the deal with these fuckin ads, I don't have any herpes but they're always here at night.
2zrfa5f.jpg

Siaynoqq

I just finished the game and I personally think it is of the best gaming experiences out there. I think it did an amazing job wrapping up the plot, perfecting the MGS gameplay experience, and overall improving on the presentation package MGS has been known for. Some of the presentation, especially, is just LEAGUES beyond anything else out there.

I can't believe it took me this long to finally play it (lack of funds for a PS3 was the biggest factor). Games like MGS4 will help make headway in finally making gaming appreciated as a legitimate artform, imo.

And if anyone wants to play some MGO, let me know.

rvy

Banned
S1lent said:
If the trophies haven't come by now, they aint coming, unless in some new version of the game.
Pretty much.

o0200026610290392932.jpg

Look at him, does he look like he wants to add Trophies? No! He looks like he wants to watch some Twilight.

o0320024010294155094.jpg

YoungHav

Banned
S1lent said:
If the trophies haven't come by now, they aint coming, unless in some new version of the game.
That's alright, if Hideo wants to keep dicking around and not giving a final answer then Kojipro is never getting a retail purchase from me again. Used games ftw!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I was waiting for trophies to show up before I started playing the single-player campaign, but I guess this ain't gonna happen, so I'll just start it once I finish BioShock =P

Snuggler said:
Damn, so much hate considering it was GAF goty last year, I wonder what happened to all the people that voted for it.
It's the crowd psychology, prominently evident in GAF. Many will say that MGS4 is good and magically it becomes GOTY 2008 (having being released 6 months before so no excsuses for initially misguided hype). Now, after so many hate threads it has become the worst MGS to date, it has a horrible plot, horrible gameplay, so horrible that we'd be better off if it had never been released. :lol

Bit-Bit

Snuggler said:
Damn, so much hate considering it was GAF goty last year, I wonder what happened to all the people that voted for it. Off topic, but what's the deal with these fuckin ads, I don't have any herpes but they're always here at night.
2zrfa5f.jpg

It seems this game gets hated on because whenever this thread gets bump, the people who click on it are the ones who hated it to begin with. Otherwise, it's love by the majority.

Steiner_Zi said:
It's the crowd psychology, prominently evident in GAF. Many will say that MGS4 is good and magically it becomes GOTY 2008 (having being released 6 months before so no excsuses for initially misguided hype). Now, after so many hate threads it has become the worst MGS to date, it has a horrible plot, horrible gameplay, so horrible that we'd be better off if it had never been released. :lol

So a lot of people thought it was GOTY so it became GOTY? Yeah, some really strange logic there...

hamchan

Just finished the game. Basically all the gameplay parts and fan service were fantastic but some of these cutscenes are terrible.

You get occasional good ones like Raiden killing the Geckos and Snake vs Liquid Ocelot but then some others either make me fall asleep at how long and boring they are or make me groan at how cheesy and lame they are.
It's a real shame because there are so many awesone moments in the game but the lows bring it all down.

MGS 1 and 3 still remain the top games in the series. This really is the worst MGS and I'm amazed it won GAF's GOTY >_<

Fady K

Siaynoqq said:
I just finished the game and I personally think it is of the best gaming experiences out there. I think it did an amazing job wrapping up the plot, perfecting the MGS gameplay experience, and overall improving on the presentation package MGS has been known for. Some of the presentation, especially, is just LEAGUES beyond anything else out there.

I can't believe it took me this long to finally play it (lack of funds for a PS3 was the biggest factor). Games like MGS4 will help make headway in finally making gaming appreciated as a legitimate artform, imo.

And if anyone wants to play some MGO, let me know.

Damn - FINALLY some positive stuff on the game right there - I personally felt the same way - even if the ending stretched it a bit - they wrapped it up SO well and the ending song was perfectly fitting. <3 Kojima.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bit-Bit said:
If they release MGS4 again without installs, I'd buy another copy. Maybe a digital version?

The install was your complaint, so you'd rather play a version where the entire thing is on your HDD?

Fady K said:
Damn - FINALLY some positive stuff on the game right there - I personally felt the same way - even if the ending stretched it a bit - they wrapped it up SO well and the ending song was perfectly fitting. <3 Kojima.

Same here. I was actually tearing up a bit during the end scene. It was just so beautiful
shut up, I get emotional sometimes
. Also, I nominate
microwave scene
for best scene in a video game ever.

Fady K

cosmicblizzard said:
Same here. I was actually tearing up a bit during the end scene. It was just so beautiful
shut up, I get emotional sometimes
. Also, I nominate
microwave scene
for best scene in a video game ever.

Same here, I even teared up when
Solid tries to attack Big Boss who stops him and instead, hugs him...father and son....that was beautiful. After all the fighting, it was good to see them reconcile.

TTG

Just got a ps3 bundle on black friday, so MGS4 is the third game I'm playing. I guess, I should mention I am not the biggest MGS fan. Played about an hour of the original and another 3 of the second, skipped 3 altogether. Just started this one today and did not put it down until I finished the first act. I know it's probably been mentioned a million times, but I'm really enjoying it so far, so what the hell?

I remember the big comparison between MGS2 and Splinter Cell for the best stealth game out there... those times are long gone, but it's been replaced by a good variety and excellent pacing. We have some very obvious stealthy scenarios and close quarter shootouts connected via a sort of "find the easiest path by these bad guys"bits. All enjoyable and very well paced. Couple that with a great sense of humor and it makes for a very enjoyable, stress free experience, the long cutscenes just add to that rhythm. The main thing I have to point out though is the absolute insane attention to detail.

The detail put into every object and the quality of animation is nothing short of jaw dropping. Just the arbitrary scene where Snake checks out the M4 Drebin throws his way, the amount of effort and the craftsmanship that had to go into one little part of a long cutscene in a much longer game, insane. The way he inspects the rifle is more impressive than whole game's worth of animation work in some supposedly triple A games. Then, there's the scene where jonny(is that raiden? it has to be) shits his pants as a shootout unfolds. Anyway, I have to play some more tomorrow. :D

TTG

The list of reasons to replay this are growing. A question about the Octopus fight:
The second part of the "battle", I'm guessing you could spare the girls life or just avoid shooting her? Does a different cutscene play, or are you just force to execute her anyway? I'm too much of a pussy so I didn't let her get close.

Vek

TTG said:
The list of reasons to replay this are growing. A question about the Octopus fight:
The second part of the "battle", I'm guessing you could spare the girls life or just avoid shooting her? Does a different cutscene play, or are you just force to execute her anyway? I'm too much of a pussy so I didn't let her get close.
Do you mean when
you're both in the white room? You have a fair number of options really. Putting comedy and perveted options aside you can either end the battle by stunning, killing, or letting the timer run out. The last two options kill her and leave you with nothing as far as I remember, but stunning her unlocks {ACT3 spoiler in spoiler} her face as face camo. Doesn't affect the game outside of that, except for feeling good about not killing pretty people.

Darkpen

Banned
Vek said:
Do you mean when
you're both in the white room? You have a fair number of options really. Putting comedy and perveted options aside you can either end the battle by stunning, killing, or letting the timer run out. The last two options kill her and leave you with nothing as far as I remember, but stunning her unlocks {ACT3 spoiler in spoiler} her face as face camo. Doesn't affect the game outside of that, except for feeling good about not killing pretty people.
Pretty much. I don't understand people who
chose to just kill the beauties. Stamina kill onry, ever. Its not very hard. Stun grenades say hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom