• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTG

Darkpen said:
Pretty much. I don't understand people who
chose to just kill the beauties. Stamina kill onry, ever. Its not very hard. Stun grenades say hi.

Yea, it was obvious that there was more to it than that, but my gaming habits took over. :lol I'll look for some other ways when the next one comes around. Anyway, overall the second act was quite a bit of a downgrade from the first. Hopefully things heat up again soon.

EXGN

TTG said:
Yea, it was obvious that there was more to it than that, but my gaming habits took over. :lol I'll look for some other ways when the next one comes around. Anyway, overall the second act was quite a bit of a downgrade from the first. Hopefully things heat up again soon.

Game completely changes from here on out. If you haven't played the other games in the series, you're probably gonna be really lost after Act 3.

hamchan

This bumped thread reminded me I have to replay the whole series. I'm definitely skipping the cutscenes in MGS4 though. I still can't believe how badly they turned out.

Edit: Double post :p Left unchanged so TTP's post still makes sense.

hamchan

This bumped thread reminded me I have to replay the whole series. I'm definitely skipping the cutscenes in MGS4 though. I still can't believe how badly they turned out.

TTG

EXGN said:
Game completely changes from here on out. If you haven't played the other games in the series, you're probably gonna be really lost after Act 3.

Like I said, I've tried along the way, it just hasn't worked out. I think the rollerblading, bomb setting fat dude in the bomb squad outfit put the MGS series on hold for me, until now.

Act 2 was weak in terms of gameplay compared to act 1 and that is a problem, but hopefully it will change for the better. The cutscenes I don't mind at all because I'm not taking them too seriously. It has a good sense of humor to it and the over the top soap opera style, it's entertaining.

TTG

What was bland gameplay bits to carry the story in Act 2 has deteriorated into what I can only describe as an interactive soap opera for Act 3. This train is derailing and fast. :lol

On the upside, I did manage to tranq the second beauty but nothing different happened. Not that I wanted a reward, I just couldn't tell the difference.

sonicmj1

TTG said:
What was bland gameplay bits to carry the story in Act 2 has deteriorated into what I can only describe as an interactive soap opera for Act 3. This train is derailing and fast. :lol

On the upside, I did manage to tranq the second beauty but nothing different happened. Not that I wanted a reward, I just couldn't tell the difference.

I found Act 4 to be a bit of an improvement over Act 3, but it's pretty much all downhill from there.

MGS4 never manages to top its first act, but that act is really damn good, and few games are as good as its weaker acts.

sonicmj1

SmokyDave said:
I was convinced that this topic being back at the topic meant a trophy patch had been confirmed :(

The thread title needs to be changed to "Metal Gear Solid 4 Official Thread - Still No Trophy Patch"

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SmokyDave said:
I was convinced that this topic being back at the topic meant a trophy patch had been confirmed :(

I wish it would, but I don't expect it to ever happen. I would rebuy this game if they did a substance/subsistence release, but it doesn't seem like that will happen at this point with Koji working on the PSP game and the rest making MGSunny.
By the way, Act 4 is great, even without the nostalgia. Play it on a hard difficulty, sneaking by the bot's beams is fuckin intense, best stealth gameplay this gen. Same goes for act 3, it's a lot better when you're forced to play it stealth. Really, that goes for the whole game...it's incredible if you play it as a sneaking mission but if you go guns blazing you kind of ruin the whole experience, even though they allowed you to play it however you want this time.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
SmokyDave said:
Why do you keep doing this to yourselves, guys? :/

TTG

sonicmj1 said:
MGS4 never manages to top its first act, but that act is really damn good, and few games are as good as its weaker acts.

It was a solid(hurr hurr) beginning, the game was off to a good start. It's taken a nose dive since, a lot of what they've tried to do is downright amateur. All I see are a varied array of very simple gameplay mechanics, rough around the edges and easy to break, implemented as a palate cleanser between the episode long cutscenes.

I managed to finish dinner, make a couple of posts and I'm about to start a podcast and the game has been "playing" all this time :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Well, there is no better way to experience the game than while having dinner, posting on GAF and podcasting at the same time. You might be able get a little bit more enjoyment out of it if you actually payed attention to it, but the cutscenes are SO SO LONG, you probably can't stay focused.

TTG

Snuggler said:
Well, there is no better way to experience the game than while having dinner, posting on GAF and podcasting at the same time. You might be able get a little bit more enjoyment out of it if you actually payed attention to it, but the cutscenes are SO SO LONG, you probably can't stay focused.

that's what I meant by playing. I've been watching the cuscenes at the end of act 3 and the briefing leading into act 4. I think things are wrapping up though...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I get that. I can understand why people are bothered by the long cutscenes, but it's the fuckin finale to the Metal Gear Solid series, what else do you expect? The long cutscenes shouldn't be a criticism, but an expectation. If you just ignore the game during the cutscenes, you're gonna miss out on a context of the whole game. Long cutscenes are in every Metal Gear. It can be hokey, over the top and even ridiculous, but I love it anways. Play Metal Gear 1-3 then 4, it's a fuckin great finish, at least for me. I noticed that you said you aren't a big MGS fan, which is fine, but that pretty much says that there is no way you'll be able to enjoy this game the way it's intended.

And...as I tried to say earlier, the game is much improved from playing on a higher difficulty. I like that they tried to encourage multiple styles of play, but when you try to shoot your way through the game it;s kind of sucky and clunky compared to playing it as a sneaking mission, which is pretty damn fun if you actually give it a chance.

TTG

Snuggler said:
I noticed that you said you aren't a big MGS fan, which is fine, but that pretty much says that there is no way you'll be able to enjoy this game the way it's intended.

My only gripe with that comment is that "game" should be replaced with cutscenes. The bigger point, ofcourse, is that those clips seem to be the overwhelming focus of MGS4. I've given them a fair chance, I haven't skipped a single one even though I did tune out the latest mission briefing. I don't share the view that cutscenes have no place in videogames either. But, like I said, the gameplay in Act 2 and 3 felt like they were simply a palate clenser and they were designed that way. A whole buffet of very simple gameplay concepts that are easily breakable with the slightest deviation(spawn points all around Act 2 resulting in the game having a brain fart if you got slightly ahead of the rebels and those turret/chase sequences for example). Anyway, I'm not giving up on the game yet.

hamchan

Snuggler said:
Yeah, I get that. I can understand why people are bothered by the long cutscenes, but it's the fuckin finale to the Metal Gear Solid series, what else do you expect? The long cutscenes shouldn't be a criticism, but an expectation. If you just ignore the game during the cutscenes, you're gonna miss out on a context of the whole game. Long cutscenes are in every Metal Gear. It can be hokey, over the top and even ridiculous, but I love it anways. Play Metal Gear 1-3 then 4, it's a fuckin great finish, at least for me. I noticed that you said you aren't a big MGS fan, which is fine, but that pretty much says that there is no way you'll be able to enjoy this game the way it's intended.

The thing is MGS1-3 had interesting cutscenes while MGS4's were boring. This is coming from a huge Metal Gear fan as well.

The actual game bits were fantastic though, especially if you try and stealth it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Eh, well I guess both MGS fans and non-fans can't agree on this game. But did you see Akiba pooping in the oil can? That was a very integral scene, I hope you didn't miss that.

TTG

Made it through Act 4, a definite improvement over the last 2. Sneaking by the bots and geckos was fun, boss fights were cool... good shit over all. And holly crap at the "dream" sequence on the plane. What a cool thing to do, kudos to Konami for that one. I didn't even play the original all the way through and I thought it was an amazing thing to do.

Darkpen

Banned
The trouble with MGS4 was that even for an MGS game, the pacing was out of whack, and the game to cutscene ratio was tipped far more than even MGS2 or 3. All it needed was at least 20 minutes to an hour of more gameplay time, but that was stolen away by the cutting room floor
(I'm talking about the sewers in Act 3)

sonicmj1

TTG said:
Made it through Act 4, a definite improvement over the last 2. Sneaking by the bots and geckos was fun, boss fights were cool... good shit over all. And holly crap at the "dream" sequence on the plane. What a cool thing to do, kudos to Konami for that one. I didn't even play the original all the way through and I thought it was an amazing thing to do.

Glad you enjoyed Act 4. It's different, but it's a very interesting act. Pretty fun.

If you thought Act 3's cutscenes were bad, you will hate what's coming.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Playing through this right now over the course of the past month in between the newer PS3 games I have. I just got up to
controlling Rex after Raiden killed Vamp and Naomi offed herself
and going through that whole area with a new coat of HD paint was excellent.

One question - how do you even play through this using stealth entirely on a second play through? I played MGS3 several times and on the second or third time through I did all stealth, with no kills, and even used the MK22 on all of the bosses. How the hell would that even work in this? The game seems way, way more action oriented than prior installments and there are entire protracted sequences where enemies know exactly where you are (on top of Drebin's truck, on the motorcycle, etc). On top of that I've gotten all of the beauty face camos so far by shooting them with regular guns during the main battle and then using the MK22 during whatever those bizzaro sequences are after each fight. Do you actually miss anything by not putting them down with tranqs for the initial battle? There are so many guns with so many attachments that it would seem like I'm missing half of the game just using the MK22 and stun grenades.

Octo camo is awesome. I never minded switching camos in MGS3 but between that and what you can carry with you this seems like the first Japanese game in ages where I can play for a long time and not have to be in a menu. I'd have to say the boss fights have been universally underwhelming so far, particularly after how incredible the bosses in MGS3 were. Overall I still like MGS3 the best but if this is the last main game chronologically it is a great send off.

This is also the most 4th wall breaking game I have seen in a long time, even compared to the previous entries in the series. The white suit following me in Europe was freaking me out, and the "dream" wasn't as surprising as the one in MGS3 but it was placed perfectly. :lol Playing through the familiar area with 1998 face was great too.

leroidys

The boss fights in this game are so awesome. I just beat this game a couple weeks ago and am now going to try and get all the stupid rewards. Like all MGS games, I'm excited to play the game again skipping all the shit cutscenes and story. :D

sonicmj1

Mooreberg said:
\

One question - how do you even play through this using stealth entirely on a second play through? I played MGS3 several times and on the second or third time through I did all stealth, with no kills, and even used the MK22 on all of the bosses. How the hell would that even work in this? The game seems way, way more action oriented than prior installments and there are entire protracted sequences where enemies know exactly where you are (on top of Drebin's truck, on the motorcycle, etc). On top of that I've gotten all of the beauty face camos so far by shooting them with regular guns during the main battle and then using the MK22 during whatever those bizzaro sequences are after each fight. Do you actually miss anything by not putting them down with tranqs for the initial battle? There are so many guns with so many attachments that it would seem like I'm missing half of the game just using the MK22 and stun grenades.

There are no alerts during the chase sequences, so it's not a big deal, kinda like the bike chase in MGS3. It's not always as simple this time as just shooting everything with the Mk22, but it's very doable.

If you clear the first stage of a boss battle using tranqs, a boss statue will show up in the area during the next stage. Grabbing all of them unlocks a cool gun when you finish the game.

TTG

Mooreberg said:
Playing through this right now over the course of the past month in between the newer PS3 games I have. I just got up to
controlling Rex after Raiden killed Vamp and Naomi offed herself
and going through that whole area with a new coat of HD paint was excellent.

Octo camo is awesome. I never minded switching camos in MGS3 but between that and what you can carry with you this seems like the first Japanese game in ages where I can play for a long time and not have to be in a menu. I'd have to say the boss fights have been universally underwhelming so far, particularly after how incredible the bosses in MGS3 were. Overall I still like MGS3 the best but if this is the last main game chronologically it is a great send off.

This is also the most 4th wall breaking game I have seen in a long time, even compared to the previous entries in the series. The white suit following me in Europe was freaking me out, and the "dream" wasn't as surprising as the one in MGS3 but it was placed perfectly. :lol Playing through the familiar area with 1998 face was great too.

So far, in every situation I've been(and I am right where you are) it's easy enough to avoid killing anyone. The non lethal arsenal is very robust, especially if you get to keep your weapons the second time around, which I assume you do. I don't think it's even all that possible to die through the chase/turret stuff, so that's not a problem either.

And I agree with your points on the weapon selection and boss fights. MGS4 is very open or flexible or whatever you want to call it, and it's almost a detriment in certain situations. Take Crying Wolf for example.
I got through that fight by basically climbing on top of one of the towers and lobbing granades at her until she croaked. The minions she had didn't really follow me up there, I got hit with her rail gun twice, but it wasn't a big problem. Later on, I'm reading the FAQ and apparently there's a whole hunting sequence to this fight. She can smell you so the direction of the wind matters, she locates you via the minions. YOU can track her down by following footsteps etc. etc. All of this was completely useless for me
Now, you might say that it's up to me to figure this stuff out and take advantage of it just the same way I give every new weapon I find atleast one chance. And, certainly MGS has been giving me cues on what to do, stealth is encouraged, helping out the rebels is too. But if you do decide to just shoot the boss in the face or run ahead of those rebels, the game shows it's rough edges.

The "4th wall breaking" as you called it, has been the highlight of the game for me. It's very well aware of the fact that it's a game and I like that, it doesn't take itself too seriously. That is oh so important in a game where I'm watching some soap opera like melodrama. Just looking back at the games I've played recently, Killzone and Infamous could really use a lighter touch. Also, the "dream" sequence, ipod, barrel, compresses... all brilliant.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
TTG said:
So far, in every situation I've been(and I am right where you are) it's easy enough to avoid killing anyone. The non lethal arsenal is very robust, especially if you get to keep your weapons the second time around, which I assume you do. I don't think it's even all that possible to die through the chase/turret stuff, so that's not a problem either.
I saw this sentence and instantly had post-traumatic flashbacks of playing it on Extreme mode. :lol

I think the stealth gameplay really shines when you try to go for the Big Boss emblem (Extreme mode, no kills, no alerts, etc.). It raises the stakes dramatically and forces you to be more resourceful.

Are you considering it after you finish it the first time? IIRC, all your money/weapons carry-over to higher difficulties as well.

TTG

Act 5 was great, lived up to the hype and then some. Absolutely one of the best levels I've played this year. Some final thoughts... considering I've posted a lot about the shortcomings, I should talk about what I thought MGS4 did well.

I've been thinking about what stands out about mgs4 that a lot of games don't try to do. It's a wink and a nod, a point to make and occasionally a dialogue to strike up with the player. For that reason alone, I'm glad I got to play this game. The
Mantis
fight especially, encapsulates what I'm trying to describe. Seeing the
The strings attached to Snake, beautiful.
Beyond that, the game is not afraid to try some very different things. Some worked better than others, but you can't say it got boring. :lol I've been complaining a lot, but I'm not sure I would trade in those wonky moments for Act 1 stamped 5 times over.

Anyway, I might give Big Boss Extreme difficulty a whirl sometime later. Maybe during the summer drought.

trk_rkd

Banned
Catalix said:
I saw this sentence and instantly had post-traumatic flashbacks of playing it on Extreme mode. :lol

yeah the act III motorcycle escape sequence was probably the hardest part of the game on extreme...

EDIT: if going for big boss emblem, no health packs etc.

DiddyBop

I just finished the game a few days ago and i have mixed feelings.. the gameplay was great but the cut scenes just weren't up to par with the other games int he series, they weren't exciting and they did not push me to look forward to the next one like the first 3 games did. The epilogue was completely unnecessary and I think Kojima just got tired of solid snake's story but was forced to run it dry by konami. the game just lacks something that the previous games had.

i know alot of technical effort was put into this game but something special was lost during the transition between mgs3 and 4. i really feel like kojima went all out for mgs3 and mgs4 is the result of a producer being burnt out from what has been his break and butter for so many years. the story and character interaction in this game was pretty meh, same with the boss fights.

MGS3 still stands as the best in the series and one of the best games ive ever played.

that little flashback during the shadow moses part makes me realize that i have to go and download mgs1 later this week

eh I've been playing through Big Boss Hard mode today and I don't think any game has come close to beating MGS4's cutscene quality, at least when it comes down to character expression, cinematography, lighting, editing, etc. I don't even think Uncharted 2 has better camerawork.

54-46!

trk_rkd said:
yeah the act III motorcycle escape sequence was probably the hardest part of the game on extreme...

EDIT: if going for big boss emblem, no health packs etc.
I just spammed flash grenades like a crazy person :lol

Dragnet

I know this is a horrible bump and the reason for it is quite dirty and scabby, so I apologize in advance, I just thought this might be relevant to the interest of some MGS fans.

As a student, I'm struggling for money at the moment so I've been digging out stuff to sell and found a few MGS themed Kubrick dolls, released in celebration of the 20th anniversary of MGS. Thought they might be worth a little since they're no longer being made. Anyway, I did have the whole set on sale (I bought 60 in bulk) but now I only have a few left..

MGS3 Snake (x3)..

MGS4 Old Snake (x2)..

MGS4 Raiden (x1, rare!)..

Like I said, I used to have MGS1 Snake and MGS1 Grey Fox (mega rare!) but they're all gone. Sorry to be so shameless, just thought it might interest some people in this thread, I know there are some hardcore MGS fans out there :D And even if you're not in the UK, I'm sure we can agree on a shipping price.

Sorry again!

Edit: My bad! Didn't know it existed, thanks!

Effect

Okay I've never been a huge Metal Gear Solid fan. I enjoyed the first on the PS1 (I think I even played th e first but I don't think I ever finished Metal Gear Solid 2. Didn't bother with the games that came after it. My interest is and was peaked regarding MGS4 because I heard one didn't actually have to play it as a stealth only game if they didn't want to. Though on the higher settings you have to as it becomes that hard it seems. Not a problem as I usually work my way up difficulty settings. However what was off putting to me was the long cutscenes. However I didn't have PS3 when it originally came out it wasn't a big deal to me. However now that I do I I keep wanting to pick up the game.

So is it true one doesn't have to stealth through the game but can play the game as if it's a normal third person shooter on the lower settings if they wished?

If there any option to play as other characters and not just Snake? Or is it Snake all the time?

Also exactly how does multiplayer work? Is it pretty much a standard death match affair but in 3rd person? Is it popular still?

Is there backtracking to areas or do you keep moving forward from one new area to another? Also does the game contain information on the past games to get a new player up to speed storywise? Not in game but in the menu system.

Thanks.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Effect said:
So is it true one doesn't have to stealth through the game but can play the game as if it's a normal third person shooter on the lower settings if they wished?
Yes, you can even do it on higher difficulties, obviously you die more but instead of just shooting everything up you might have to find a hiding place every now and then

Effect said:
If there any option to play as other characters and not just Snake? Or is it Snake all the time?
Just Snake

Effect said:
Also exactly how does multiplayer work? Is it pretty much a standard death match affair but in 3rd person? Is it popular still?
I personally loved it. It might seem like a standard MP game at first sight but it's different. You can play it as a standard 3rd person shooter, or you can sneak up on people like in SP. It's not as popular as it used to be though the game does get played. About the whole Konami ID thing - It's annoying but not as bad as people make it out to be. All in all you should be able to get at least 10 hours of good playtime out of it

Effect said:
Is there backtracking to areas or do you keep moving forward from one new area to another? Also does the game contain information on the past games to get a new player up to speed storywise? Not in game but in the menu system.
Check out this to get up to date on the story. There is no backtracking either, which is an aspect a lot of fans like in previous MG(S) games, Kojima didn't include it in this chapter.

Effect said:
Okay I've never been a huge Metal Gear Solid fan. I enjoyed the first on the PS1 (I think I even played th e first but I don't think I ever finished Metal Gear Solid 2. Didn't bother with the games that came after it. My interest is and was peaked regarding MGS4 because I heard one didn't actually have to play it as a stealth only game if they didn't want to. Though on the higher settings you have to as it becomes that hard it seems. Not a problem as I usually work my way up difficulty settings. However what was off putting to me was the long cutscenes. However I didn't have PS3 when it originally came out it wasn't a big deal to me. However now that I do I I keep wanting to pick up the game.
If you want my honest opinion, I don't know the price of the game nowadays but if you're going to play it rushed don't pay more than 15-20 bucks for it. Game can be played that way but shouldn't, which is really apparent. Anyhow, check out at least some of action cut scenes, you might enjoy them. Normally I'd advise you to stay away from the game but hey, everyone should experience such a high production game when they have a PS3. I know people who enjoyed it playing like a 3PS, so you might like it since you enjoyed the first

Effect

Thanks for the response Teetris. I figured I'd look for the game at a low price to start as I wasn't sure how I'd like it. This really helps.

leroidys

Is there an official MGO thread? I started playing MGO a couple weeks ago to get the 10 hour badge for single player, and after initially hating it, i have come to love the online. It is strategic, varied, fun, and there are always tons of people online. The controls took me a while to get used, but once I realized to never ever use the iron sights, it was smooth sailing. Also, it seems that all the assholes have left the building. I played for over 20 hours before I ran into my first asshole yelling into the mic, and then I just took 3 seconds to mute him. Is the gaf clan still active? I would love to have some more people to play this game with.

Leunam

There is an MGO topic in the online section, but nothing past that, I think. I still play from time to time and it's always been enjoyable to me.

leroidys said:
Is there an official MGO thread? I started playing MGO a couple weeks ago to get the 10 hour badge for single player, and after initially hating it, i have come to love the online. It is strategic, varied, fun, and there are always tons of people online. The controls took me a while to get used, but once I realized to never ever use the iron sights, it was smooth sailing. Also, it seems that all the assholes have left the building. I played for over 20 hours before I ran into my first asshole yelling into the mic, and then I just took 3 seconds to mute him. Is the gaf clan still active? I would love to have some more people to play this game with.

The clan is pretty much as dead as leaves. I tried looking for the thread in the online section, but it seems to have disappeared (unless I missed it). I play sometimes, but I stopped playing ranked matches because the cheating and lag is ridiculous. Survival and Tournaments are absolute bullshit because of it.

-Winnie-

Is it still even possible to update MGO? I lost all my files when upgrading my HDD, and when I tried to update MGO (both P2P and direct), the progress meter wouldn't move at all after 10 minutes.

harSon

Banned
Looks like I found the game that will rekindle my interest in gaming. Over the last 8 or so months, I've probably played less than 5 hours of games. I saw this game sitting on my shelf unopened and decided to give it a whirl a few days ago.

I just finished Act 2 and I'm having a blast. About the only complaint I can come up with are the ridiculously lengthy cut scenes, but other than that, it has been a flawless gaming experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom