• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
harSon said:
Looks like I found the game that will rekindle my interest in gaming. Over the last 8 or so months, I've probably played less than 5 hours of games. I saw this game sitting on my shelf unopened and decided to give it a whirl a few days ago.

I just finished Act 2 and I'm having a blast. About the only complaint I can come up with are the ridiculously lengthy cut scenes, but other than that, it has been a flawless gaming experience.

D:

Your opinion on this game will change very soon.

Eliciel

it won't Kojima did an outstanding take on that one. The story is groundbreaking and whoever says the opposite : "Go out make a game and deliver something more vibrant than kojima did"

and that's the end of the line 'cause Kojima brought something unique to the table.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
harSon said:
Looks like I found the game that will rekindle my interest in gaming. Over the last 8 or so months, I've probably played less than 5 hours of games. I saw this game sitting on my shelf unopened and decided to give it a whirl a few days ago.

I just finished Act 2 and I'm having a blast. About the only complaint I can come up with are the ridiculously lengthy cut scenes, but other than that, it has been a flawless gaming experience.

Good, good.

DMeisterJ

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Don't listen to the haters. Gonna hate.

Definitely not a hater. Love this game to pieces.

Chemo said:
Or, it won't.

Some of us actually love this fucking game. Give him a chance to make his own decision.

I love it too, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how good Acts I and II are, and then not mention how acts III, IV, and V fail to live up to the standard of the first two. I'd go into detail, but it's nothing that hasn't already been discussed to death.

harSon said:

I should have clarified my statement. You will find enjoyment out of III - V, but it won't be as much as I-II. In as non-spoiler as I can get, the gameplay flaws begin to show up, and the length of the cutscenes gets more ridiculous if you thought the ones in I and II were bad.

With that said, the game is still AFW... Would play a gazillion times (and even more if trophies were in this game) over again. Greatest experience this gen.

DMeisterJ said:
Definitely not a hater. Love this game to pieces.

I love it too, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how good Acts I and II are, and then not mention how acts III, IV, and V fail to live up to the standard of the first two. I'd go into detail, but it's nothing that hasn't already been discussed to death.

I should have clarified my statement. You will find enjoyment out of III - V, but it won't be as much as I-II. In as non-spoiler as I can get, the gameplay flaws begin to show up, and the length of the cutscenes gets more ridiculous if you thought the ones in I and II were bad.

With that said, the game is still AFW... Would play a gazillion times (and even more if trophies were in this game) over again. Greatest experience this gen.

Well that's different even though I disagree with you about acts 3-5 (particularly 4).

harSon

Banned
Act 3 was pretty bad to be honest, I felt like my watch to play ratio was somewhere around 10:1. And most of the game play came from the sneaking mission, which was cool initially but dragged for way to long. I'll start Act 4 later today, hopefully it's more like Acts 1 and 2 in terms of game play...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
harSon said:
I'll start Act 4 later today, hopefully it's more like Acts 1 and 2 in terms of game play...
It's not.

harSon said:
Act 3 was pretty bad to be honest, I felt like my watch to play ratio was somewhere around 10:1. And most of the game play came from the sneaking mission, which was cool initially but dragged for way to long. I'll start Act 4 later today, hopefully it's more like Acts 1 and 2 in terms of game play...

I know... stealth being the focus in a metal gear game... booooring. Get to the run and gun already old man! (sarcasm)

I loved Act 3. Especially when my dumb ass realized I could switch to octocam and have fun with the soldiers. But playing without it felt like a real spy movie which was just as fun.

jett

D-Member
harSon said:

You were warned.

Hollywood loves talking money — salaries, budgets, you name it. The game industry doesn't.

Some developers have been very open about how much their titles cost to produce. Other developers have not revealed their budgets. As Kotaku mentioned earlier when posting the Digital Battle.com list of games with the biggest budgets: "The sticky part of video game budgets is that some developers will not confirm the actual budgets, and there is some speculation in these numbers."

Metal Gear Solid 4 producer Ken Imaizumi has stated that he claim that the PS3 exclusive cost $60 million is incorrect.

"It's being written in recent news that MGS4's budget was over 5 billion [yen] or 7 billion [yen]," Imaizumi tweeted. "It didn't cost that that much." If it cost that much, Imaizumi added, the game would've become multi-platform.

Then how much did it cost?

Reuters indirectly quoted former Kojima Productions Associate Producer Ryan Payton as saying that the game was so expensive to develop, that it needed to sell a million copies on launch day to turn a profit. (Payton later stated that he had been misquoted, and that the information was incorrect.)

Then, that brings me back to: How much did it cost? Movie producers and directors have no problem talking about how much was spent on making a feature film and neither should game developers.

Kotaku has reached out to Kojima Productions for a comment.

(今泉) kojima_pro [Twitter]

old?

http://kotaku.com/5479974/kojima-productions-on-mgs4-budget-claims

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
TTP said:
Same. Albeit that would bring my playthrough count to 7. :p
Exact same number as me :lol

kinggroin

Banned
Just completed this game an hour ago. Still have to let it all sink in, but it was definitely my favorite in the series. I even enjoyed the overly long and overly corny cutscenes :lol

If I could, I'd have this game be in the running for GOTY, it was that good. Acts 4, 5 and final battle in particular were the stuff of legends and easily highlights for the series.

Also till this day, this game's visuals during cutscenes (the realtime ones anyway), are unmatched by any other game on the planet. Choreography and cinematography were amazing, the artstyle was fantastic, music was suitable and moving at times.... the whole thing just masterfully woven together.

Story is still incredibly ridiculous and convoluted, like most good animes :lol

Kimosabae

Banned
kinggroin said:
Also till this day, this game's visuals during cutscenes (the realtime ones anyway), are unmatched by any other game on the planet. Choreography and cinematography were amazing, the artstyle was fantastic, music was suitable and moving at times.... the whole thing just masterfully woven together.

Story is still incredibly ridiculous and convoluted, like most good animes :lol

I'm assuming you've only recently gotten a PS3, which is why it has taken you so long to come across MGS4. Based on this assumption, I'd further deduce that you have not played Uncharted 2.

kinggroin

Banned
Kimosabae said:
I'm assuming you've only recently gotten a PS3, which is why it has taken you so long to come across MGS4. Based on this assumption, I'd further deduce that you have not played Uncharted 2.

Your ability to deduce, sucks :D

I've had a PS3 since launch, only recently moving to the slim this year (there was a 2 month period last year where I had neither as I saved up). It's taken me this long to get to MGS4 because I own two other consoles and a helluva PC.

And yes, I have played Uncharted 2, and while the in-game (you control the character) visuals are tops on the system, the in-game realtime cutscenes (both games, believe it or not, have FMVs for a few cutscenes; they're just compressed well) are still tops in Kojima's game.

Of course, I'm also much more partial to the art style and character designs, so yeah.

kinggroin

Banned
ryan-ts said:
Act 4 and 5 are nowhere near as good as 1 and 2. I can deduce that you suck.

You also seem like a bit of a douchebag.

While you're quite adept at being an assuming asshole, you're also the only person to deduce anything correctly (I can be a bit of a douche; NOT that acts 4 or 5 aren't as good as the first two) :lol

ryan-ts

kinggroin said:
While you're quite adept at being an assuming asshole, you're also the only person to deduce anything correctly (I can be a bit of a douche; NOT that acts 4 or 5 aren't as good as the first two) :lol

Hahaha, you're awesome.

Man I just saw this great commercial for a bra store....

So uh MGS4, yeah I guess I don't really care about it enough to argue.

kinggroin

Banned
ryan-ts said:
Hahaha, you're awesome.

Man I just saw this great commercial for a bra store....

So uh MGS4, yeah I guess I don't really care about it enough to argue.

What's there to argue anyway ryan? We're on page 500-something for shit's sake. All the arguing has been done for us ; )

rvy

Banned
ryan-ts said:
Act 4 and 5 are nowhere near as good as 1 and 2.
Correct. It probably has something to do with being able to play the game instead of watching a terrible and cheesy batch of endless cutscenes unfold, while you press X at specific parts to watch some shitty 2D artwork.
Fucking around with the enemies and being in the middle east (Act 1 anyway), which is what I was expecting from the beginning, is mad fun and great gameplay.

Also, people whining about Trophyless bump in 3, 2, 1...

ryan-ts

kinggroin said:
What's there to argue anyway ryan? We're on page 500-something for shit's sake. All the arguing has been done for us ; )

It really has, I bet you somewhere in this thread we can find two other people saying the exact same thing as us, word for word.

JJD_BR

Banned
Jesus Christ at the scope os this thread!!!

I hope the guy who made it isn't banned forever...he should make all my favorite games threads!

jsnepo

Anyone here thinks that a closer camera would've helped the experience to be better? It bothers me that whenever I make Snake run, the camera zooms out. Same reason I played the game crouching most of the time since the camera is closer to Snake when crouching.

Act 1&2 great

Act 3 shit except for the boss, that was cool.

Act 4 Bowling balls in my Shadow Moses ... smh

Act 5 short and uninteresting (yes even the microwave oven thing).

It took them this long to finally give us a decent control system instead of the broken mess called MGS2&3 !!

Not really interested in Metal Gear Gaiden but would like to see a proper console based MGS that fixes the problems with MGS4 (they already fixed the biggest one being Control/Camera)

Mikey Jr.

TheThunder said:
Act 1&2 great

Act 3 shit except for the boss, that was cool.

Act 4 Bowling balls in my Shadow Moses ... smh

Act 5 short and uninteresting (yes even the microwave oven thing).

It took them this long to finally give us a decent control system instead of the broken mess called MGS2&3 !!

Not really interested in Metal Gear Gaiden but would like to see a proper console based MGS that fixes the problems with MGS4 (they already fixed the biggest one being Control/Camera)

Yeah, 1 and 2 were good.

Act 3 would have been better if it was just "Go from point A to point B anyway you want" but you cant use stealth camo and ammo is limited. They made this entire city, but forced me down a specific pathway. Why?

Act 4 was stupid as well. Why couldnt they have had guards? Ocelot controls an entire fucking army yet we have bowling balls, haha.

Act 5 started out great. The ship was a little messy and didnt have a great flow, but was a good start. As soon as you go through the door, act 5 was pretty much over. The fuck?

Beowulf28 said:
Fuck you people I thought the bump was for trophy patch :(
because that would make the game better and worth replaying?

besides, if you expect a trophy patch you should probably expect a couple threads dedicated to it popping up at the same time, no?

Teetris said:
I played it over the past two days and I really enjoyed it. I was in just the right mindset and really enjoyed the cutscenes and tying up of loose ends. My favorite after MGS3, real talk.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Beowulf28 said:
Fuck you people I thought the bump was for trophy patch :(
I look forward to these posts the most after each bump. GullibleGAF never fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom