• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
_dementia said:
I played it over the past two days and I really enjoyed it. I was in just the right mindset and really enjoyed the cutscenes and tying up of loose ends. My favorite after MGS3, real talk.
Yeah, it's hard to trump MGS3, for some people Kojima did for others he didn't.

pix said:
I just bought this game today. Fuck is it difficult. Not used to MGS anymore.
Embrace it dude. Don't get caught by guards! Learn a trick or two from the internet if you have to but don't wuss out and start shooting like Rambo and then end up hating the game.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Im about to start the game, so I should avoid going all Rambo on it? good.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
dgenx said:
Im about to start the game, so I should avoid going all Rambo on it? good.
Yeah don't do that. Ever. If you get caught try to escape searching every corner and alleys, whatever possible. Play as if your life depended on it. Would you shoot everyone on sight or be as sneaky as possible?

Anyway, have fun! If you decide to pen down your experiences and opinions I'll gladly listen.

jsnepo

I've been playing MGO again for a week now and feel that the game engine is really underrated. The textures are incredible. I feel bad that the single player game will never be this good looking.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Well 2 hours into the game, I'm surprised how funny it could be, I laughed when the PMCs detected me by my smell because I was in a dumpster moments ago:lol

its true this game looks liek ithas too many things to use, maybe the fun is to use them once in a while.

Also Im trying not to kilanyone and not going all rambo,when I set an alarm off I usually run like agirl and octocamo myself

all in all Im likin the game, oh looks beautiful!:lol

I can't wait to use the playboy!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Yeah, the replay value on this is insane. If you're not doing multiple runs you should try out as many things as possible while you can!

What difficulty are you playing on?

dgenx

Zen

Banned
jsnepo said:
I've been playing MGO again for a week now and feel that the game engine is really underrated. The textures are incredible. I feel bad that the single player game will never be this good looking.

One thing people might not know is that when Kojima Productions was patching MGO they weren't just cleaning up net code and tweaking variables, you'd also see the textures for all the levels had been entirely redone/touched up patch after patch. The IQ is also hugely improved from how it was when the game launched, so much that I'm pretty sure they bumped it up to 720P from being SUB HD.

I don't know what the game looks like now, but if there's a group of people in NA server region who are actually playing semi regularly I might get back into it for a bit.

rvy

Banned
jsnepo said:
It looks good, yeah, but it has a ton of issues. It's broken and full of exploits.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
rvy said:
It looks good, yeah, but it has a ton of issues. It's broken and full of exploits.

Yup, that's the reason I stopped playing. Kind of sucks being killed numerous times after dying and not being able to spawn.

jett

D-Member
Liquidus said:
Yup, that's the reason I stopped playing. Kind of sucks being killed numerous times after dying and not being able to spawn.

hahaah WAT

I had awesome fun with MGO during the beta...never really cared for the actual release for some reason.

thechemist

jett said:
hahaah WAT

I had awesome fun with MGO during the beta...never really cared for the actual release for some reason.

Same, I loved it during the BETA, cause it was easy to boot from the xmb to get into playing the game didnt take long, whereas in the actual game it took me at least 10 minutes to find a game, due to me getting through the 50 million menu screens and the ID thingy.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
jett said:
hahaah WAT

Yup.

The Beta was awesome though, I was ranked number 1 by over 20,000 points at the end at BASE.

dgenx

just finished :(

here's to you Boss

Alastor

Does anyone have the Master ArtWorks MGS4 "Setting document compilation", that was released in Japan late last year? Is it worth buing for someone who is not a die-hard fan, but appreciate the art & design of the game?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Alastor said:
Does anyone have the Master ArtWorks MGS4 "Setting document compilation", that was released in Japan late last year? Is it worth buing for someone who is not a die-hard fan, but appreciate the art & design of the game?

It's alright but that's coming from someone who hates every single thing about MGS4. It has some nice concept art and a few awesome pictures of Rex but having almost no space for Ocelot made me a sad panda. If I wasn't a Kojima whore I wouldn't buy it.

EDIT- Whoops are you talking about the artbook?

Alastor

Liquidus said:
EDIT- Whoops are you talking about the artbook?

I'm talking about the book with ISBN 9784797357257, 191 pages, full japanese, first out in the middle of december ;) It that the one you have?

Alastor said:

I own that book. It's superb in every way. It is as good as the MGS1 , 1.5, and 2 art books.

vqgyfk.jpg

35cq6w9.jpg

wloi04.jpg

vbc7q.jpg

rasuok.jpg

_Xenon_

Banned
Finished the game last night ... my impression of the game is pretty much mixed.

The good:

1. The story is deep and interesting. This is probably the most satisfied story to conclude the whole MGS series.
2. Some of the most impressive stages I have ever seen. The final fist fight on top of the ship is just amazing.
3. The gameplay is fun and full of freedom, which I like the most. But it would have been even better if they could let you customize the button mapping. Aim/shoot with L1/R1 is so out of date.
4. The boss battles are remarkable and I love the background of these boss characters. Hell, actually most of the characters of the game are interesting and memorable. I think this is the best part of the MGS series.

The bad:

1. The graphics is a mess TBH, even by the standard of 2008. The framerate is not even locked wtf. Oh well .. it's KONAMI so what do you expect?
2. I'm sorry but the cut scene is unbearable (except the fighting ones and endgame ones) to me. I thought the scenes in FF13 were cheesy and annoying enough but this one beats FF13 hands down. This is how it turns out if you give kojima too much money and fame: huge amount of expensive and necessary motion capture cut scenes instead of locked framerate and better texture. I think this guy is more suitable to develop PSP games instead of HD games.
3. Installing chapters ... WTF IS THIS SHIT? If I want to play the chapters I've already finished I have to install it again? Whoever programmed this shit needs to be fired STAT. This basically kills all my motivations to play the game again, plus the lack of trophies doesn't help either.

My score of the game: 7/10

-Winnie-

^ Whaattt? Man, and so close to Peace Walker's release. That's a bummer. :(

[edit]And all this talk of MGO has me really hoping for a rerelease or sequel with all the bugs and stupid shit fixed up. Goddamn, MGO was really fun while it lasted.

rvy

Banned
jett said:
What? Why?

I blame MGS4.
You're not wrong, actually. TUS has been a mess since MGS 4 was shown at TGS '06. Old members stopped giving a shit and just fucked around, new members were crucified for enjoying MGS 4 and so on.
Not to mention Pavel promised improvements to the site/board and never delivered on them.

Everyone moved on to KPN.

rvy said:
You're not wrong, actually. TUS has been a mess since MGS 4 was shown at TGS '06. Old members stopped giving a shit and just fucked around, new members were crucified for enjoying MGS 4 and so on.
Not to mention Pavel promised improvements to the site/board and never delivered on them.

Everyone moved on to KPN.
It got messed up because there were a vocal few (*cough*The Prince II*cough*) who thought MGS2 was the best game in the series and everything else since then was garbage and would be impossible to have a decent conversation with.

rvy

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
It got messed up because there were a vocal few (*cough*The Prince II*cough*) who thought MGS2 was the best game in the series and everything else since then was garbage and would be impossible to have a decent conversation with.
Eh, Prince likes every MGS and MG game prior to 2. The fanbase just got extremely divided, more so with MGS 4.

And you can no longer have conversations about MGS. It's more volatile than religious arguments.

Good riddance, that place should've been died years ago. I don't think I've ever seen a gaming forum with more pretentious assholes and morons with tin-foil hats.

rvy said:
Eh, Prince likes every MGS and MG game prior to 2. The fanbase just got extremely divided, more so with MGS 4.

And you can no longer have conversations about MGS. It's more volatile than religious arguments.
I don't think the mainstream divided... the mainstream likes 1 & 3 and likes the gameplay mechanics of 4 but think the story got out of wack in 2 & 4 (talking arms!).

rvy

Banned
Pavel said:
I was planning not to visit this forum and write here anymore, since almost everyone hates me already willing to piss on my bald head and shit in my Civic, but when somebody told me my name is 100 000 000 times mentioned here, I think I have to post one more time.

First of all, sorry for my previous rude post. I didn't know the whole "killing TUS" situation in details and was misleaded once again by random theories people had talking to me.

Ryan wrote to me and explained some things, so I am sorry.

On another note... I am not some crazy bulgarian dude during The Cold War. I've always tried to support MGS websites which demanded affiliation and I wish all the good luck to KPN too. I wish good luck to everyone who think this is the right place with the right freedom to create content with their MGS passion.

Second of all though, I have not changed my mind about the way some of you tried to harm TUS - by endless spamming and messing with the forum script. This was not the right way to get in touch with me demanding updates. This was a way to express that you don't care about the site even if you've been part of it for the last 4-5 years. Like I said to Ryan, this can only makes me glad that I had doubts and didn't give full website control to most of the staff with the latest version. I cannot imagine the damages if I was...

And this was the problem with Joomla in the way I have set it up in the latest TUS. You either had control to everything, or you got almost no control. It's not that I didn't want to give the right power to the admins and the moderators, I just couldn't. Because even I gave Error access to the backend administration and explained "where to touch", it still looked super complicated and messy for someone who just wants to warn and ban people and have never been a web master with the right coding knowledge before.

Yes, I admit I've made mistake by choosing Joomla, but this mistake was not in the CMS itself but in my vision for TUS. I wanted a system with one unified login to the website and the forum, with user pages, friend system, user content submissions (news, articles, pictures and later downloads) etc. Joomla is by far the best CMS to do all this and have a future potential in the same time without screwing up the content and starting all over (like what happened with TUS V3 content because of it CMS). I think I managed it and I still think this version was the best TUS has ever had. Because after all, TUS is not NeoGAF - it's not just the forum and it's veterans. It's a major MGS fansite and the visitors deserves more than just blog updates + forum.

I've made a mistake thinking that people would like to write articles about the games they love and share them on the site. Or just express their opinion about the MGS games in one simplified forum. I've made a mistake that the staff will care about publishing and approving user submitted articles, insted of comparing their dick size and mod powers in the forum.

Some people were satisfied with the version, yeah...

You the regulars however, weren't. Most of you even didn't like Metal Gear. You wanted non-MGS boards in a MGS forum. You kept spamming continiusly with pictures and personal remarks in the serious discussions. Many new members were asking me in the past what's going on with this board. A newbie comes and tries to talk about MGS and is welcomed by some imaginary veterans with jokes and bullshit. Even Ryan Payton called TUS a place full of MGS haters, because one couple of regulars were always starting the bullshit.

If you ask me, these people should have done their separate site/forum a long time ago... But no, they decided to "kill TUS" instead.

And what? For the whole five years I've always done my best to make something good for TUS, one month delay of the promised updates was enough for you to send me to fuck myself and even harm the website - some of mine and some of your work.

I feel like a politican, who's always remembered by the mistakes he has made and never for the achievements.

You know what? It's true, I have no interest in MGS anymore. But I've always liked TUS and cared about it and the people who are supporting and visiting it.

That's why I closed TUS now to fix the mess, do the promised updates and come up with cleaner, better working version. I've already updated Joomla, the components, the forum and almost implented the new interface and design, so the return is not that far in the future. Probably a week at most. Kunena, even faster than Fireboard, is still not good enough though, so I will probably go with PHPBB3 trying to keep the current content.

In the meantime, I am sorting out the staff situation and I will try to form a good team with new fresh and passionate people.

I felt obligated to tell what's going on with TUS to the people who still care. The others who don't: have a nice time here or whatever it is...

The Bulgarian - Out.

TUS. We know drama. :lol :lol :lol

dak1dsk1

Banned
I really wanted to get into the multi-player of MGS4. The learning curve was just too hard, since I hadn't put much time into the single-player campaign. Is there a tutorial-mode hidden in there somewhere?

Leunam

dak1dsk1 said:
I really wanted to get into the multi-player of MGS4. The learning curve was just too hard, since I hadn't put much time into the single-player campaign. Is there a tutorial-mode hidden in there somewhere?

There is a training lobby of sorts where you can practice on dummies (human dummies and targets). Honestly, you may be better off jumping into low level games to see how you do. That's what I did and while I'm no pro, I'm no slouch either.

rvy

Banned
jett said:
What did Payton say?
TUS is full of MGS haters. Not sure what was the context of said quote, but whatever. The guy was involved in making MGS 4, I don't really care about what he has to say.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Leunam said:
There is a training lobby of sorts where you can practice on dummies (human dummies and targets). Honestly, you may be better off jumping into low level games to see how you do. That's what I did and while I'm no pro, I'm no slouch either.
Thnx, I'll give it a shot.

infinityBCRT said:
I don't think the mainstream divided... the mainstream likes 1 & 3 and likes the gameplay mechanics of 4 but think the story got out of wack in 2 & 4 (talking arms!).

Exactly how I feel, but is this really the mainstream? It seems GAF's consensus opinion on MGS4 is completely negative.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
rvy said:
TUS is full of MGS haters. Not sure what was the context of said quote, but whatever. The guy was involved in making MGS 4, I don't really care about what he has to say.
i love pretty much everything about mgs4, but his big contribution to the game was the change in controls, which received pretty much universal acclaim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom