• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvy

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
i love pretty much everything about mgs4, but his big contribution to the game was the change in controls, which received pretty much universal acclaim.
Kojima being a fan of Gears probably had more impact in his decision than that. You even have to push buttons to cover against the wall. Then again, who knows.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Eh, haven't been there in years. Surprising news, though.

Sure, the site was just a mess during the MGS4 period and was quite dead after. Hard to forget all the cool shit they offered the fans during their run though:

Their downloads section was the best source for MGS media. From actual in-game scenes from all solid games, audio, trailers, etc.

The articles were cool too, and the news was updated often leading up to the release of MGS 4.

My article about what I wanted to see in an MGS movie was posted in TUS last year too. You can read it here. Hey, that was before plans for the movie were canned.

The TUS podcast was a pretty good listen as well.

Sucks for the site, but the community as a whole was a mess.

RIP TUS.

rvy said:
You're not wrong, actually. TUS has been a mess since MGS 4 was shown at TGS '06. Old members stopped giving a shit and just fucked around, new members were crucified for enjoying MGS 4 and so on.
Not to mention Pavel promised improvements to the site/board and never delivered on them.

Everyone moved on to KPN.

sounds like every other fansite ;)

rvy

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
sounds like every other fansite ;)
The main difference is that it's about all KP games, not just MGS.

The Snake Soup is still the best anyway. Nothing can beat Ravi's articles, or his news section.

So lets see nearly two years since MGS4 came out.

Some random thoughts since then:
1. I still love the game, it (along with the Database, which is an amazing release and for free) actually took the time to resolve everything. Yeah, there is some retconing, but it never bothered me that much. Resident Evil 5 also did this and never gets enough credit for doing it (considering that series had some mindbending wonky shit to tie up)
2. I wish I could just install the game at once, I understand why they didn't do it, but I just wish later on they created a patch that allowed it as an option.
3. I just never did and still don't like the Sniper battle (the setup and look is great); I'm just not nuts about dealing with all the Outer Haven chicks. I realize other battles have additional enemies at the same time, but this one was just a bit more of a pain in the ass for me.
4. Sometimes I wonder if all the extra weapons and ease to get them, made the game a bit too easy (not counting Outer Haven).
5. Was the story goofy at times, a little, but nothing has and every will beat being told that Otacon did his stepmom in in MGS 2, in terms of weirdness and just creeping me out.
6. Still I love this game, every gameplay moment was bigger than the last and the end fight is still the one of the best of any game I've ever played. Some maybe more fun, but as an overall package and what it represented to the series, it's still one of the better gameplay moments I've ever had....

The best one is still crawling through the microwave room while all those other actions are going on. It's one of the few times I got emotionally involved in a story and started shouting, "Come On Snake, Come On, You Can Do it!" Not because I wanted to beat the game, but because I cared.

Only regret was some asshat on gamefaqs spoiling the major points two weeks ahead of time because he got the strat guide.

Sold my Limited Edition copy of the game yesterday (along with the LE hardcover guide)... That was perhaps the first game I sell since... my Mega Drive/Genesis collection! I needed money and I hated the game, so I pawned it :/

I popped MGS3 Subsistence in the PS3 today (also the LE edition, this I'd never sell) and was surprised/let down that it had no 16:9 option! For some reason I thought it did...

It got me thinking, I miss playing MGS, what are some great current-gen games that have a similar "feel" to them? I guess Batman Arkham Asylum is one, what else?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
rvy said:
The Snake Soup is still the best anyway. Nothing can beat Ravi's articles, or his news section.

I'll admit the Snake Soup is pretty good, but like the TUS (or whatever the members from there moved to), it's kinda... negative. I mean, if you don't like the series or the direction it's going anymore, why the fuck do you continue to run a site?

(Of course, Ravi/TSS is [at least I hope] being more satire than "OMFG KOJIMA SUCKS RAGERAGERAGE")

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just got the game...

Gotta love the cinematic feel, but I truly forgot how to be stealthy after years of not playing a MGS game =P

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Relix said:
Just got the game...

Gotta love the cinematic feel, but I truly forgot how to be stealthy after years of not playing a MGS game =P

yeah it will do it to you, wait later on though :)

I'm playing through it now (again)
Also, got back in with MGO, got my ass handed to me.

rvy

Banned
TUS was bought by some dude. He's bringing the site back, apparently. Not affiliated with any of the previous team btw.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
rvy said:
TUS was bought by some dude. He's bringing the site back, apparently. Not affiliated with any of the previous team btw.

Really? Because from the way the site writes, it sounds like the dude from the closedown is bringing it back. Maybe the new dude shouldn't write about the 2004-2010 era and just focus on the 2010 "this'll be a site for MGS fans" part. :/

rvy

Banned
TheSeks said:
Really? Because from the way the site writes, it sounds like the dude from the closedown is bringing it back. Maybe the new dude shouldn't write about the 2004-2010 era and just focus on the 2010 "this'll be a site for MGS fans" part. :/
Pavel sold it. It's a new guy. He even posted at KPN to announce it.

#Care.

TheSeks said:

Yeah, I thought the old team led by Pavel was bringing the site back. Kind weird. Who's the guy that bought it?

I've got MGS4 on the way, had to rebuy it with all the Peace Walker hype! :lol Anyone here still play online? Hopefully I can remember my Konami tag.

(Sorry not a trophy patch bump =P)

Square Triangle said:
I've got MGS4 on the way, had to rebuy it with all the Peace Walker hype! :lol Anyone here still play online? Hopefully I can remember my Konami tag.

(Sorry not a trophy patch bump =P)

One day I will find you and kill you until you're dead!

Installed this beast and updated it for the first time on m new PS3 and jumped into some MGO games yesterday.... HOLY FUCK was I terrible. I have completely lost all coordination with this game. It's been since the Uncharted 2 beta that I've stopped playing, maybe even before then. It hurts my ego a little but at the same time this was a game that made me visit the hospital for heart palpitations. I used to get so upset with the atrocious lag (among many other issues).

snack

I remember seeing a GAF thread where there were pictures of people photoshopped with the Solid Eye. Anyone have a link to that thread? Much appreciated, thanks.

sn00zer

Just finished this the other day...
Only complaint is the ratio of gameplay to cinematics...I loved the cinematics but instead of a 15hour game with 10hrs of cinematics why not just make the levels a bit longer to get half and half gameplay and movies?.... but its seriously a huge issue for me... I love MGS games. Let me play it
Feels like the original Mass Effect, as soon as I get a hang of the combat its over
EDIT: Loved the story with FOXDIE and whatnot, but the actual character interaction was really bad (seriously why the hell is the Colonel even in this game?)...also EASTEREGGS ALL OVER MY FACE WAAAHHH

sn00zer said:
Just finished this the other day...
Only complaint is the ratio of gameplay to cinematics...I loved the cinematics but instead of a 15hour game with 10hrs of cinematics why not just make the levels a bit longer to get half and half gameplay and movies?.... but its seriously a huge issue for me... I love MGS games. Let me play it
Feels like the original Mass Effect, as soon as I get a hang of the combat its over
EDIT: Loved the story with FOXDIE and whatnot, but the actual character interaction was really bad (seriously why the hell is the Colonel even in this game?)...also EASTEREGGS ALL OVER MY FACE WAAAHHH
20 hour game give or take an hour or so and the total cut-scene length is about 6 and a half hours or so plus codec lengths. There's a good 10-15 hours of game play depending on how fast/slow you go.

venom2124

Sorry for the bump without trophy news, but I've been thinking about a new Metal Gear Online recently. I'm hoping for an announcement at E3 and just wondering what others felt about MGO and what could be improved.

I used to love it, especially the tournaments and survival nights. It really was one of the more unique multiplayer games. There were a couple of things that caused me to give up that I would kill to have fixed in a sequel. Invincibility frames. Shooting games, especially shooting games billed as tactical action, should never have invincibility frames. That punishes players who shoot at center mass. That also led to my other gripe. Since body shots were ineffective, everyone used the M4 and sprayed for headshots. SMGs and LMGs were largely ignored becaused the M4 with AR skill had laserlike precision.

I think invincibility frames should be done away with entirely. No assault rifle should be a one shot headshot. I loved buying new gear with points, but it should be taken to the next level. A player that buys and equips a lot of body armor should get a health boost but take a serious reduction in speed and mobility. Conversely, a player that chooses minimal armor would be much quicker but have less health. The armor should also be body part specific. Helmets and masks should protect from headshots. Kevlar vests protect the torso and combat boots for the lower body.

One other thing that must absolutely be changed is the speed of getting into MGO. It actually became a grind to wait for the MGS4 menu to slowly come up, wait for MGO to then load up, then wait as it connected to online. Take a page out of Modern Warfare 2 and allow the player to get into multiplayer quickly.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I used to love this game and would love to see it improved. I hope some others here that used to play MGO (or still do) share their thoughts and ideas.

jsnepo

I want Konami to respond to the MGO community outside Japan.

* remove the Konami ID disaster
* fix glitches and not just pretend they don't exist.
* fix the net code

rvy

Banned
jsnepo said:
I want Konami to respond to the MGO community outside Japan.

* remove the Konami ID disaster
* fix glitches and not just pretend they don't exist.
* fix the net code
And I want cookies. Ain't gonna happen.

jayb

venom2124 said:
No assault rifle should be a one shot headshot

No, headshots should always be a one shot kill in every game IMO. But there is a need to make the headshot radius smaller/harder to hit in MGO.

venom2124

jayb said:
No, headshots should always be a one shot kill in every game IMO. But there is a need to make the headshot radius smaller/harder to hit in MGO.
The problem with this is that MGO players focus only on headshots. Hell, 70% of my kills were from headshots. That should never happen in any game. Looking at my stats from 3 call of duties, 2 resistances, and killzone 2, I average 1headshot kill for every 10 kills. Invincibility frames rendered every shot but headshots useless. I really feel sniper rifles should be the only 1shot headshot kill in MGO.

jayb

So what are the odds that a MGS4: subsistence (or whatever the name) will be announced at E3?

Also, if it is announced, I hope that would be available as both add-on DLC and on a "Game of the Year" disc version.

jayb said:
So what are the odds that a MGS4: subsistence (or whatever the name) will be announced at E3?

Also, if it is announced, I hope that would be available as both add-on DLC and on a "Game of the Year" disc version.
I hate you.

SamuraiX-

rvy said:
Not the Trophy patch bump, sorry.

qqtugp.jpg

MONSTROUS BIRTHS: A Formal Analysis of Metal Gear Solid 4

Wow. Can't believe I've missed this. These were the same guys that did the MGS2 analysis, right? I think I know Jerel. Didn't know he was working on this.

Thanks for the link. Need to read through that sometime. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom