• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope this isn't a trophy bump. Sorry folks :)

I've been trying to download the MGO latest patch and it keeps timing out at 50%. FUCK YOU KONAMI. Piece of shit.

I just wanted to see if anyone still played online. Peace Walker put me into major Metal Gear mode. Peer to Peer is basically useless right now right? I mean to download the patch? I chose the server option. Damnit.

jayb said:
So what are the odds that a MGS4: subsistence (or whatever the name) will be announced at E3?

Also, if it is announced, I hope that would be available as both add-on DLC and on a "Game of the Year" disc version.

How does MGS4: Malignance sound?

Kidding, I love MGS4 :p

S1lent

SamuraiX- said:
Wow. Can't believe I've missed this. These were the same guys that did the MGS2 analysis, right? I think I know Jerel. Didn't know he was working on this.

Thanks for the link. Need to read through that sometime. :D

Yeah, same main dude anyway. I think the MGS2 one was better, with this one he seems to grasp at straws when it comes to drawing some of the parallels to previous games, but still a good read nonetheless. Makes me respect MGS4's themes more (though not the actual plot).

O.DOGG

My cousin hooked me up with a PS3 for the weekend, and I spent it playing MGS4. That was the only game I want to play on the PS3 anyway. It's amazing. Not as good as MGS3 but it's still a masterpiece, an incredible experience. I wonder what Kojima's next game is going to be.

Suzzopher

O.DOGG said:
My cousin hooked me up with a PS3 for the weekend, and I spent it playing MGS4. That was the only game I want to play on the PS3 anyway. It's amazing. Not as good as MGS3 but it's still a masterpiece, an incredible experience. I wonder what Kojima's next game is going to be.

Should try and play Peace Walker too. It's an incredible game.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
So I just finished my second playthrough, about 2 years after the original and I've got some mixed feelings. Gameplay-wise, easily the best MGS. Story-wise, the ending dragged on way too long. My final (console) rankings for Metal Gear Solid games:

3 > 1 > 4 > 2

rvy

Banned
O.DOGG said:
Graphic adventure with lolis. I am not shitting you.

Chris R

Just finished. Really good game. I did have a few small gripes (triangle mash section, overly action based in some points, having to kill the BBs twice and then listen to Drebin, ect) but they are small compared to all the good the game does. Sure the graphics are hit and miss, but damn the whole section of rebels/pmc firing at each other in South America while you try to sneak by was just too damn fun. Almost missed out on the "real" ending because I went to go do laundry while the credits rolled only to go and get a drink and see there was more shit to go down :lol Pacing could have been better (didn't care for the whole section in Eastern Europe) too, but now after playing this I can't wait for Rising (assuming it takes place before MGS4). Going to have to go out and buy MGS5 with my next paycheck too. Only thing I'm really wanting now from the series is a game where you play as The Boss.

And sorry, I bumped it and there are no trophies (I think that is for the best, because I'd never be able to get the sub 4' no kill ect reward at the end of the game, and you know that would be a gold trophy :lol )

I'm watching a friend play through this (I've played through it twice already). This is actually one game I don't care if he skips cutscenes. I tell him if it's worth seeing or not, otherwise I just give him a summary. The Europe tailing part also pissed him off, and I could barely help because I couldn't remember shit from this part. He also tends to just run through and kill everyone. And then knife them in the balls. At least I got to see him blow up a helicopter :D

onken

SephCast said:
So I just finished my second playthrough, about 2 years after the original and I've got some mixed feelings. Gameplay-wise, easily the best MGS. Story-wise, the ending dragged on way too long. My final (console) rankings for Metal Gear Solid games:

3 > 1 > 4 > 2

Indeed, gameplay is without a doubt the best of the series, the controls are immaculate (though you might argue the buying ammo at will is a bit cheap).

Unfortunately the story is burdened with clearing up the mess that was MGS2 but oh well, I still enjoyed it.

Chris R

Oh and hopefully this is answered in the thread but I thought RAY was a pure counter to REX. If that is the case how did a broke ass REX beat a new RAY? :lol

onken said:
Unfortunately the story is burdened with clearing up the mess that was MGS2 but oh well, I still enjoyed it.

It seriously is ALL MGS2's fault. There was no way to explain shit like Ocelot's arm in a way that wasn't totally stupid.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
MGS4 is terrible because it tries to be a sequel to MGS2 and 3. In a sense MGS3 ruined the entire MGS canon.

I wish for MGS1, 2 and 3 remade with MGS4 engine. and MG 1, 2 and MGS PSP series as cut scenes in between. sell it for 60(each) and I would eat it like a fat kid would eat a whore made out of chocolate.

The series is so dependant on its presentation and its so spread out. I wouldnt want more Twin Snakes, but a genuine visually updated port. controls and combat from MGS4 please, as well.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
rhfb said:
Oh and hopefully this is answered in the thread but I thought RAY was a pure counter to REX. If that is the case how did a broke ass REX beat a new RAY? :lol
The same reason an inferior cloned soldier managed to beat his genetically superior twin.

Chris R

Catalix said:
The same reason an inferior cloned soldier managed to beat his genetically superior twin.
Nature vs Nurture, FOXDIE, personal training, ect.

I'm just talking machine vs machine, why one that was designed as a direct counter to the other is destroyed so damn easily, even by one that has lain dormant for so many years and is partially broken :lol

onken

rhfb said:

Because RAY didn't have motherfuckin Snake driving it, that's why.

Vigilant Walrus said:
I wish for MGS1, 2 and 3 remade with MGS4 engine. and MG 1, 2 and MGS PSP series as cut scenes in between. sell it for 60(each) and I would eat it like a fat kid would eat a whore made out of chocolate.

Man I would kill for an HD remake of MGS3 with MGS4 controls.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
rhfb said:
Nature vs Nurture, FOXDIE, personal training, ect.

I'm just talking machine vs machine, why one that was designed as a direct counter to the other is destroyed so damn easily, even by one that has lain dormant for so many years and is partially broken :lol
onken said:
Because RAY didn't have motherfuckin Snake driving it, that's why.

Snake simply has the will to win, regardless of the overwhelming technical odds stacked against him. That's just his thing.

It's cheesy and totally unrealistic, but the overt symbolism of the rex vs. ray battle conveys his "special skill" perfectly.

I still have this game in my backlog. I need to get the game started. I turn it on, just to turn it off. I do not know what causing me to not play this game. I heard wonderful things about this game. Also, Koijma had something to do with it. I loved his work in Snatcher.

onken

micster said:
Hell yes!

What?!

Yeah have you played MGS3 lately, the controls are diabolical. It basically impossible to do certain things effectively like capture + shoot (you have to hold circle and square at the same time, iirc). Sneak on the dpad when you have an analogue stick? (exactly the same speed, sound and animation, except one the guards can hear and the other they can't). Pressing CQC too hard slits the enemy's throat (bye bye, kill-free playthrough!). Still uses that awful hold-to-ready, release-to-fire system.

Urgh, seriously terrible controls and easily the worst thing about the game. At least they fixed the terrible camera with Subsistence.

micster

onken said:
Yeah have you played MGS3 lately, the controls are diabolical. It basically impossible to do certain things effectively like capture + shoot (you have to hold circle and square at the same time, iirc). Sneak on the dpad when you have an analogue stick? (exactly the same speed, sound and animation, except one the guards can hear and the other they can't). Pressing CQC too hard slits the enemy's throat (bye bye, kill-free playthrough!). Still uses that awful hold-to-ready, release-to-fire system.

Urgh, seriously terrible controls and easily the worst thing about the game. At least they fixed the terrible camera with Subsistence.
I'll shove it on in a bit because 3 and 4 are probably the two ive replayed the least, but I just remember 4 controlling horribly

CosmicGroinPull said:
Hmmm maybe having all the controls mapped to Snake's Sixaxis (TM) made it easier to control, hence giving Snake the advantage.

Haha.

But to add my answer to the question... wasn't Liquid Ocelot not really trying to win in the first place?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Vigilant Walrus said:
I wish for MGS1, 2 and 3 remade with MGS4 engine. l.

I don't want that , that engine is broken piece of snakes poop , if it was worth a damn Kojima will use it again ,Rising using new engine tell you how poorly coded that engine was, i'd rather see them remaking the old games on UE3 than the MGS4 engine,

Thrakier

Totobeni said:
I don't want that , that engine is broken piece of snakes poop , if it was worth a damn Kojima will use it again ,Rising using new engine tell you how poorly coded that engine was, i'd rather see them remaking the old games on UE3 than the MGS4 engine,

You are insane.

onken

micster said:
I'll shove it on in a bit because 3 and 4 are probably the two ive replayed the least, but I just remember 4 controlling horribly

How exactly can it control "horribly" when it uses the same controls as most popular actions games right now? The CQC takes a little while to get the hang of but once you've got it down, it's immaculate.

On the other hand, there's no getting used to the controls in 3 (I still fail to see how it's even possible to hold square and circle simultaneously, and then somehow aim with the RIGHT analog stick - 3 thumbs ftw), they're just plain bad.

Carlisle

Nonoriri said:
MGS4 is terrible because it tries to be a sequel to MGS2 and 3. In a sense MGS3 ruined the entire MGS canon.
In spite of the burning fanboy within me wanting to rail against you with all the might an internet connection can wield me, you speak truth. And I hate myself for admitting it.

MGS3 is unquestionably the best MGS game and, for me, the greatest game ever made. But you're right. In a sense MGS3 did fuck up MGS4 because MGS4 had to not only tie up the loose ends of MGS2's clusterfuck story, but those of MGS3's fuck awesome story as well. When I got into 4, I never expected to see
Eva or Big Boss
and I admit, getting to see those characters made my fanboy heart beat like a jackhammer. I ate up the fanservice... but in the end, I now see that it only made the story more unnecessarily convoluted.

Kojima submitted to the pressure of tying up every single loose end that's ever been brought up in the series canon. He needed to realize that it would have been okay to leave some answers open to interpretation and the personal belief of the player.

Catalix

onken said:
How exactly can it control "horribly" when it uses the same controls as most popular actions games right now? The CQC takes a little while to get the hang of but once you've got it down, it's immaculate.

On the other hand, there's no getting used to the controls in 3 (I still fail to see how it's even possible to hold square and circle simultaneously, and then somehow aim with the RIGHT analog stick - 3 thumbs ftw), they're just plain bad.
Wait, what move are you trying to describe here? Because if it's supposed to be that human shield CQC maneuver, you're doing it waaay wrong, man :p

Dries

So what the fuck is up with the respawning enemies? I'm in Act 1 and I'm supposed to
infiltrate Liquid's base
, but in that area when I kill a guard another one rushes into the area to take it's place. I'm trying to play this game as stealthy as possible (to kill every guy without anyone noticing) but the game is preventing me from doing that.

Are you not supposed to kill enemies or clear areas out? Please someone, clear this one up.

And also, is it just me or is the game kinda hard? I get spotted a lot. Either I accidentally walk to fast or my hold up fails. Sigh....

This is kinda bumming me up.

Catalix

Go for true stealth; infiltrate areas without killing guards. That avoids the occasional enemy respawn "issue"

Catalix

It's definitely a common gripe, but really not that big of a deal. It only occurs in a few specific areas throughout the game.

onken

Dries said:
So I wasn't the only one who had issues with this? Darn, I should have known this earlier.

That's just not how the game works. When patrols go missing the other guards/HQ will eventually notice and replacements are sent.

Catalix said:
Wait, what move are you trying to describe here? Because if it's supposed to be that human shield CQC maneuver, you're doing it waaay wrong, man :p

Quite possibly, just going off the documents section.

Dries

So how am I supposed to know when I can clear a camp out and when not? I started Act 2 now and the first section I could silently kill each guard and clear the whole camp. But now right after the part when
the rebels take over the power plant
each enemy I kill in the next camp is immediately replaced by a freshly respawned guard. So I guess I'm not allowed to clear this camp out?

Pretty much bullshit to me. I hate stupid design choices like this.

jett

D-Member
Dries said:
So how am I supposed to know when I can clear a camp out and when not? I started Act 2 now and the first section I could silently kill each guard and clear the whole camp. But now right after the part when
the rebels take over the power plant
each enemy I kill in the next camp is immediately replaced by a freshly respawned guard. So I guess I'm not allowed to clear this camp out?

Pretty much bullshit to me. I hate stupid design choices like this.

There's a few, annoying places where enemies will infinitely respawn.

Dries

jett said:
There's a few, annoying places where enemies will infinitely respawn.

Well, at least it's not the whole game. But it's also kinda annoying that you don't know in which areas the enemies have this strange sixth sense and where not.

Dries

So I just entered Act 3 and goddamn, this setting rocks. It's so fun that each Act has it's own separte feel and location. But what advantage those this new disguise give me? Ain't I much better off if I just stick to my Octocamo?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dries said:
So I just entered Act 3 and goddamn, this setting rocks. It's so fun that each Act has it's own separte feel and location. But what advantage those this new disguise give me? Ain't I much better off if I just stick to my Octocamo?
Pretty much the only good thing is that you can go all noir with it. Which is bad ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom