• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lonestar said:
You can add me to the "Be hated" club :p though I haven't found the actual game disk, I did finish watching said "Theater DVD" of the game.
Does that mean I get extra hated because I have Limited Editions of 2 & 3. :lol

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Yoboman said:
I suppose it comes down to how it's delivered, but there's a point where that sort of thing just gets in the way of the story. MGS2 had a lot of that, from Rose and Raiden to EE and to Stillman's stories. They kind of just got in the way

True, except EE and Stillman weren't important characters in the overall story who had ties to all the main characters that needed to be resolved/explained. Raiden, Naomi, Otacon, Vamp, Meryl, Campbell, EVA, Sunny, and yes, even Rosemary are much less extraneous than the incidental MGS2 characters.

Note that Kojima didn't give us extended backstory on minor characters like Sokolov in MGS3. I think he knows to stick to the characters he's already established for the most part. We might get backstory for the new Foxhound members, but I can deal with that. Other than that, he'll have his hands full with the legacy characters, so I doubt it'll have that "why do I give a shit about this character?" feeling of some of MGS2.

Yoboman

HomerSimpson-Man said:
See here's the thing, it doesn't matter how the cutscenes are paced, some reviewers simply aren't going to get over the fact there is a large quantity of the cutscenes in a Metal Gear Solid game in general anyway. It's been said be some reviewers for the past three games and this is no different, in which case it doesn't reflect to me barely worth a damn to me on that issue.
I don't think it's that, it's that they're so long that they take away some of the impact it could've had

But it's true, it doesn't matter what reviewers say, it'll be the fans who decide if Kojima's done right.

Acid08

Banned
Darkpen said:
lol, what's with the sudden MGS love in? We need some haters to balance this shit out :lol
Do you think it's possible people will be discussing spoilers in the line at the PS Store? That would be awful :(

Yoboman

MollyMillions said:
True, except EE and Stillman weren't important characters in the overall story who had ties to all the main characters that needed to be resolved/explained. Raiden, Naomi, Otacon, Vamp, Meryl, Campbell, EVA, Sunny, and yes, even Rosemary are much less extraneous than the incidental MGS2 characters.

Note that Kojima didn't give us extended backstory on minor characters like Sokolov in MGS3. I think he knows to stick to the characters he's already established for the most part. We might get backstory for the new Foxhound members, but I can deal with that. Other than that, he'll have his hands full with the legacy characters, so I doubt it'll have that "why do I give a shit about this character?" feeling of some of MGS2.
I don't think it's necessary to give them all stories. It's one element that Kojima has always lacked compared to Hollywood and that's subtlety. The back-characters can have subtle stories, but they should always be in the background compared to the story of Old Snake and only tie in when it has specific relevance to his story

Darkpen

Banned
Acid08 said:
Do you think it's possible people will be discussing spoilers in the line at the PS Store? That would be awful :(
oh god, I didn't even think about that D:

I hope people won't, lol D:

Yoboman

One thing I noticed is that MGS4 is getting unanimous props for it's gameplay, yet it seems like that's not even important to a lot of the reviews

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Klone.K said:
Actually about Rose and Raiden the official Konami site confirms that
they have broken up and are no longer together

Oh, cool, I hadn't read that. Although really that only highlights the potential for drama between them. At the very least it's more compelling than "I know you're battling nuclear-armed terrorists but, like, I'm feeling insecure about our relationship, let's talk about how we first met."

That was totally autobiographical on Kojima's part, I'm convinced. I'm willing to bet he based the Rose/Jack codec conversations on nagging phonecalls from Mrs. Koji about why he has to spend yet another night sleeping at the KCEJ offices. :lol

25fq9z4.jpg

Klone.K

Yoboman said:
One thing I noticed is that MGS4 is getting unanimous props for it's gameplay, yet it seems like that's not even important to a lot of the reviews

That's true. But a lot of MGS fans play the series simply for its storyline and most of the thought and creative talent really went into the script on Kojima's part. The story is such an enormous, if not the largest aspect of the game that reviewers are compelled to focus on it. So far it seems that the storyline will be a hit or miss in many peoples eyes just like MGS2 was.

MollyMillions said:
Oh, cool, I hadn't read that. Although really that only highlights the potential for drama between them. At the very least it's more compelling than "I know you're battling nuclear-armed terrorists but, like, I'm feeling insecure about our relationship, let's talk about how we first met."

That was totally autobiographical on Kojima's part, I'm convinced. I'm willing to bet he based the Rose/Jack codec conversations on nagging phonecalls from Mrs. Koji about why he has to spend yet another night sleeping at the KCEJ offices. :lol

*crawls out of blackout* When it comes to Mrs. Koji, there's no place for Hideo.....Zing!
*crawls back into blackout*

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Yoboman said:
I don't think it's necessary to give them all stories. It's one element that Kojima has always lacked compared to Hollywood and that's subtlety. The back-characters can have subtle stories, but they should always be in the background compared to the story of Old Snake and only tie in when it has specific relevance to his story

You're right, it's absolutely not necessary. MGS would make, honestly, a terrible film, because Kojima's storytelling is so bloated and not at all stream-lined. But he's not a frustrated film-maker, to my mind. He's a gaming auteur, and I think he sees MGS as an epic novel, or manga. The backstories and tertiary details aren't as distracting when you view his story-telling in those terms.

If you look at MGS from the standpoint of cinematic narrative, though, it is a mess.

Um, I know I'm super late, but where can I get the images for the Snake Eye + 'stache avatars so I can make one? I've been looking for a while but can't find anything. >.< Unless I overlooked it...

Yoboman

MollyMillions said:
You're right, it's absolutely not necessary. MGS would make, honestly, a terrible film, because Kojima's storytelling is so bloated and not at all stream-lined. But he's not a frustrated film-maker, to my mind. He's a gaming auteur, and I think he sees MGS as an epic novel, or manga. The backstories and tertiary details aren't as distracting when you view his story-telling in those terms.

If you look at MGS from the standpoint of cinematic narrative, though, it is a mess.
Which is part of what made MGS3 so strong in my opinion. It was a simple narrative, not bogged down with the distractions. And if there were other story elements to be had, they're relegated to codecs, not cutscenes. I was hoping MGS4 would continue down this path, but it seems to have stepped back towards MGS2 territory.

Klone.K

Is it just me that likes Kojima's bloated storylines and prefers it over streamlined Hollywood movies?

Whenever I watch a movie I always pick on and go over every little detail or character unexplained. I hate it when the story isn't thorough to the point of obsession. I suppose that's one of the appealing factors about Kojima for me. He's so obsessed with detail that he could turn a flyer into a 300 page novel.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Yoboman said:
Which is part of what made MGS3 so strong in my opinion. It was a simple narrative, not bogged down with the distractions. And if there were other story elements to be had, they're relegated to cutscenes. I was hoping MGS4 would continue down this path, but it seems to have stepped back towards MGS2 territory.

Maybe. And if so, I'll be disappointed. But without knowing whether or not these reviewers also found MGS3's story-telling compelling or self-indulgent, it's hard to know whether or not to take them seriously when it comes to evaluating the storyline.

In general, you have to take game journalist opinions on narrative with a grain of salt. they're not film critics. We all remember the "Oscar-caliber" storyline that GTA IV was supposed to have. I read game criticism for gameplay criticism, not story analysis.

I think MGS4's plot will be less "simplistic" than MGS3's, but I don't think it will be as confusing/convoluted as MGS2's. MGS2's plot is only really hard to understand because of the way it tries to explain who/what the Patriots are, and several things such as how many "versions" of the S3 Plan are explained near the end of the game :lol

MGS2 is easy to understand when you get the bigger picture on everything that is going on. But I think MGS4 will be easier to follow.

Yoboman

MollyMillions said:
Maybe. And if so, I'll be disappointed. But without knowing whether or not these reviewers also found MGS3's story-telling compelling or self-indulgent, it's hard to know whether or not to take them seriously when it comes to evaluating the storyline.
True. Like I said, the fans will decide if Kojima succeeded. I don't think I even remember an MGS3 review mentioning how powerful the ending was, it wasn't until the fans started mentioning it that it became acknowledged.

MollyMillions said:

That's simply because videogames are the perfect medium to meld all he wants from cinematics, storytelling, and gameplay, and load it to the brim with nuances and details you can expect from Kojima Productions. All what makes MGS work would be lost in translation in things like film or even books, since they are entrenched to their classic presentational perspectives, but videogames are so much more free form in how it can combine so many aspects of entertainment media into one package. It's not trying to tie down a narrative in 2 hours like a film, it's tying a narrative that is reflective on how long it takes the player to go through it all, with the fantastic variable of having the player control their approach to a situation and setting.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Klone.K said:
Is it just me that likes Kojima's bloated storylines and prefers it over streamlined Hollywood movies?

Whenever I watch a movie I always pick on and go over every little detail or character unexplained. I hate it when the story isn't thorough to the point of obsession. I suppose that's one of the appealing factors about Kojima for me. He's so obsessed with detail that he could turn a flyer into a 300 page novel.

Well, it's not just mainstream Hollywood movies that are streamlined. Cinema itself is by its nature a detail-light mode of storytelling. It's a "show don't tell" medium.

Gaming, as I think Kojima understands, is a unique medium in that it can accommodate both the audiovisual aspects of film and the detail-oriented, multiple perspective, historical scope of literature.

Koji is definitely pretentious and self-indulgent in making this leap, but that's why he's one of a few singular voices in an otherwise generic industry.

Klone.K

Yoboman said:
True. Like I said, the fans will decide if Kojima succeeded. I don't think I even remember an MGS3 review mentioning how powerful the ending was, it wasn't until the fans started mentioning it that it became acknowledged.

I doubt fans can truly decide that. To this day it seems half the fanbase dislikes MGS2 while half of them love it. Whose right?

I'm personally hoping MGS4 is as much as MGS4 as possible, I was disappointed with MGS3's storyline.

zoukka

EDIT: Thanks. Though damage is already done.

Isn't this a fucking spoiler :mad: EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK IT JUST KEEPS GOING CHANGE ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT............132131321

I rike it, but it's no substitute for movies. Like Homerman here said it's a totally different medium and Kojima has much more time in his disposal to tell a story. You could make movies last +4 hours but it wouldn't work very well. Games can be played for longer because you do something while you're at it.

"Deep" movies often require a lot from the viewer or they can feel very heavy.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Costanza said:
They say it'd be the greatest game ever if there were less cutscenes...
That probably applies to people who are not huge MGS fans. A lot of MGS fans love the cutscenes, so for most of us those lengthy cutscenes make the game better.

Klone.K

psycho_snake said:
That probably applies to people who are not huge MGS fans. A lot of MGS fans love the cutscenes, so for most of us those lengthy cutscenes make the game better.

Exactly. I could take up to 20 hours of cutscenes and like it.

I hope the game really is as much of a self indulgent mindfuck as reviewers are making it out to be, I need my MGS2 fix.

psycho_snake

eso76 said:
they can be skipped though, oh well, but you'd miss parts of the story.

They should have thought of a way to implement codec conversations without the game having to pause, though.
They could have done it so that the codec conversation appears at the bottom of the screen and you can still carry on playing. The only problem is that its difficult to keep track of whats being said and still carry on playing.

psycho_snake

Klone.K said:
Exactly. I could take up to 20 hours of cutscenes and like it.

I hope the game really is as much of a self indulgent mindfuck as reviewers are making it out to be, I need my MGS2 fix.
I'd love that too. I thought MGS2's story was absolutely brilliant.

EDIT: Isnt Ploids avatar a spoiler?
EDIT 2: He changed it now.

Ploid 3.0

Ok Fine, I removed my avatar. It was just a picture of
Raiden
and a quick animation clip from the This Summer trailer. I had the avatar since that trailer came out. I can't wait until you guys get out of black out. It seems painful.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh please, it's from the KojiPro/Ryan Payton sanctioned theatrical trailer. Believe me you guys will be fine having seen a second of Ocelot laughing.

Klone.K

Hey, I found this over at the *banned site* forums. Someone saying he had a conversation with a reviewer whose finished the game posted some details. Nothing really new though.

Dunno if I can link to it?

Some interesting bits with semi-spoilers.

*Otacon is a central character of MGS4. From the nerdy and often burdensome character he's been in previous chapters of SS's saga, he is now a grown and mature man and one of the true heroes of MGS4.

*Aside from Snake, Raiden's character will be central to some of the games most emotionally intensive scenes. His is a truly shocking tale that pulsates with highs and lows of pure energy, emotion, shock and disbelief.

*Cutscenes make up around one half of the game and the pacing is un proportionate. There are points in the game where the gameplay outweighs the cinematics, however during the second half of the title the cutscenes become numerous and extremely long with little gameplay time meshed in between.

*There is plenty of codec conversations available for players to trigger, however the codec appears very rarely during the main story line.

*He felt under whelmed by the ending. The emotional impact was diluted from a bewildering, at times overly indulgent and lengthy exposition that divided Sons of Liberty players, and felt unsuitable as the emotional curtain call of Solid Snakes Saga.

*The gameplay is phenomenal. There is an incredible variety of missions that wouldn't feel out of place in even a GTA game. Gamers will be taken on a roller coaster ride of unpredictable scenarios that spin the entire MGS series on it's head and back.

*Gamers are aware of less than 10% of the game. There are incredible amounts of surprise characters, easter eggs and special features that easily drive the possible playtime into the months. Kojima has kept such an astounding amount of content secret that players will be blown away weeks after launch, still discovering new things.

*The game needs to be played multiple times to fully understand and appreciate the story line. There is a great deal of sub plots and layers of themes that are impossible to intake in a single playthrough.

*The script is enormous, possibly surpassing that of all three Metal Gear games combined. Every character has their story line and very few are left undeveloped. There are numerous characters that have not yet been announced to the public.

*The game is an overall masterpiece. He felt extremely satisfied with the entire product, though noted that the ending scenes may divide or fail to reach the expectations of some.

Klone.K said:
Hey, I found this over at the *banned site* forums. Someone saying he had a conversation with a reviewer whose finished the game posted some details. Nothing really new though.

Dunno if I can link to it?

Some interesting bits with semi-spoilers.

Ahh i was casually spoilering the first two sentences :/
Thanks for posting. Good summary.

psycho_snake

Rez>You said:
Oh please, it's from the KojiPro/Ryan Payton sanctioned theatrical trailer. Believe me you guys will be fine having seen a second of Ocelot laughing.
There was more than ocelot laughing in that avatar. That avatar showed different clips, one of which revealed a character I hadn't seen before.

Klone.K

*The gameplay is phenomenal. There is an incredible variety of missions that wouldn't feel out of place in even a GTA game. Gamers will be taken on a roller coaster ride of unpredictable scenarios that spin the entire MGS series on it's head and back.

Anyone else notice this one? I don't care much for MGS' gameplay but that does have me a little intrigued, it def. sounds exciting.

Klone.K said:

Anyone else notice this one? I don't care much for MGS' gameplay but that does have me a little intrigued, it def. sounds exciting.

The part that made me squeal is this:

*Gamers are aware of less than 10% of the game. There are incredible amounts of surprise characters, easter eggs and special features that easily drive the possible playtime into the months. Kojima has kept such an astounding amount of content secret that players will be blown away weeks after launch, still discovering new things.

:D

Oh and i read the spoiler. Nothing biggy but thanks for warning the hardcores.

Acid08

Banned
Klone.K said:

That's weird considering GTA doesn't have much for mission variety :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom