• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

KZObsessed

Mets39 said:
I have the metal case one! Got it on the launch of MGS3: Snake Eater (March 8, 2005 in EU)

What country are you from if you dont mind me asking?

I've scavenged through ebay but nothing :(

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Ephemeris said:

Let's team up.

But just this once. I'm still a little bitter over the fact
The only reason I exist is so they could create you.

Well I am
your Little brother or wait your Big brother :)
so we should for this once :)

Mets39

FFObsessed said:
What country are you from if you dont mind me asking?

I've scavenged through ebay but nothing :(

I'm from France. Don't know if it's hard to find, but IIRC there was plenty available on Launch.

Kagari said:
So uh... I read that GamesRadar review... what did I just read? Their negatives seemed a bit... eh...

the negatives MGS4 have are positives for the hardcore fanbase of the series. I expect this game to blow my fucking mind.

I can't wait.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BlockBastard said:
the negatives MGS4 have are positives for the hardcore fanbase of the series. I expect this game to blow my fucking mind.

I can't wait.

The game wasn't as good as they expected, wha...?

Ephemeris

g35twinturbo said:
Well I am
your Little brother or wait your Big brother :)
so we should for this once :)

Awesome. I'll take the lead. After all,
you DID fall that Master Miller act. Btw Snake, did you like my sunglasses?

jdnation

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Hideo: I want to take with me Yumi Kikuchi, to the European presentations.

Konami: So we'll have to pay her stay there then, but why?..., it she famous there?

Hideo: No.

Konami: Did she have a clue role in the development of the game?

Hideo: No.

Konami: Does she have any important relevance in the game?

Hideo: No, but don't fear no need to pay for another room, she can stay in my room.

Isn't Yumi Kikuchi one of the models for the bosses as well as the motion capture actress and voice actress for several roles?

Mets39

shagg_187 said:
Aww! Can i pinch your cheeks? :p

"Oh come one! I can't believe i'm being hit on by the famous shagg_187!" :D

But since i played the French version of MGS1, In my mind everytime i think of Mei Ling i want to slaps her :lol
It's too bad you guys will never ever know how horrible this version is :p

SRG01

Guys, some help here with MGS1:

Wasn't FOXDIE supposed to target the Genome soldiers as well? If I remember correctly, the targets were supposed to be the Genome soldiers too since it targetted BB/Snake's genes?

I got kind of confused reading the MGS2 backstory with the Document, because it states that all the Genome soldiers were placed in confinement.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
SRG01 said:
Guys, some help here with MGS1:

Wasn't FOXDIE supposed to target the Genome soldiers as well? If I remember correctly, the targets were supposed to be the Genome soldiers too since it targetted BB/Snake's genes?

I got kind of confused reading the MGS2 backstory with the Document, because it states that all the Genome soldiers were placed in confinement.

This is almost speculation on my part, they're not mentioned that often, but
I think the U.S. wants to retrieve them for their own uses. Liquid mentions that the genome soldiers are 'falling apart', and that's one of the reasons why he demanded Big Boss' remains, to prevent that from happening.

Yoboman

Costanza said:
They say it'd be the greatest game ever if there were less cutscenes...
Meh. I'm not against cutscenes per se, but it sounds like Kojima just went overboard like MGS2 again. That's not what I wanted, MGS3 had the perfect measure

Mets39 said:
"Oh come one! I can't believe i'm being hit on by the famous shagg_187!" :D

But since i played the French version of MGS1, In my mind everytime i think of Mei Ling i want to slaps her :lol
It's too bad you guys will never ever know how horrible this version is :p

Nah, I like my memories of cute voiced Mei Ling just fine. :p

I wonder how she would look like in MGS4, and considering how hot Meryl and especially Naomi are, I picture good things.

Metroidvania

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I wonder how she would look like in MGS4, and considering how hot Meryl and especially Naomi are, I picture good things.

It's been reportedly leaked that a picture of her has already been shown.

She's apparently the captain on the boat

Yoboman said:
Meh. I'm not against cutscenes per se, but it sounds like Kojima just went overboard like MGS2 again. That's not what I wanted, MGS3 had the perfect measure

Fuck that! I love me cutscenes :D

Metroidvania said:
It's been reportedly leaked that a picture of her has already been shown.

She's apparently the captain on the boat

Yep. She can be viewable (and heard) in the official MGS4 website. Be warned, they added another character that you might not know of is in the game.

(MGS2 Spoiler)
Rosemary

Ephemeris

I swore I read somewhere that you can pause the cutscenes this time. Can anyone confirm?

I'm usually not against the long cutscenes, but as I've been replaying MGS3 and now MGS2, it's kind of annoying when there's a scene playing and I have to go do something like answering the phone . :/

Yoboman said:

Well MGS3 was pretty heavy on cutscenes at the start of the game. From the way TTP described it, MGS4 seems like it'll have long cutscenes but there are large chunks of gameplay in between them most of the time. So it evens out because it's not a "stop and go" style that MGS2 had through the entire game.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
My internet died 2 weeks ago and I just got it back so this was my first read through of this thread.

My God, I cannot wait for this game. Spectacular thread too; I am all warm and fuzzy inside reading it. :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ephemeris said:
I swore I read somewhere that you can pause the cutscenes this time. Can anyone confirm?

I'm usually not against the long cutscenes, but as I've been replaying MGS3 and now MGS2, it's kind of annoying when there's a scene playing and I have to go do something like answering the phone . :/

Yes, you can pause them.

Yoboman

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Nah, I like my memories of cute voiced Mei Ling just fine. :p

We already saw how she looks a week ago

SolidSnakex said:
Well MGS3 was pretty heavy on cutscenes at the start of the game. From the way TTP described it, MGS4 seems like it'll have long cutscenes but there are large chunks of gameplay in between them most of the time. So it evens out because it's not a "stop and go" style that MGS2 had through the entire game.

Yeah, but I was just hoping his pacing and editing had improved yet again. Doesn't seem to be the case, especially in regards to the ending

Ephemeris said:

you can pause them

Yoboman said:

this is loosely taken from gamesradar reviews, but according to them, the problem with mgs4 cutscene is because there's a lot more character than previous mgs games and since it's the last game in the series, the game almost felt obligated to solve every characters stories instead of focusing on just snake, hence the long cutscenes to cover every character's stories

Kagari said:
Also, I would just like to say, GamesRadar's site is way too cluttered.

That's what happens when you run features like "Top 10 Gaming MILFs". And no, i'm not kidding they really have a feature called that.

Yoboman said:
We already saw how she looks a week ago

Yeah, but I was just hoping his pacing and editing had improved yet again. Doesn't seem to be the case, especially in regards to the ending

Well, I don't know. Was it a magazine scan or something? I've only stuck to officially release internet media.

Yoboman

Callibretto said:
this is loosely taken from gamesradar reviews, but according to them, the problem with mgs4 cutscene is because there's a lot more character than previous mgs games and since it's the last game in the series, the game almost felt obligated to solve every characters stories instead of focusing on just snake, hence the long cutscenes to cover every character's stories
They shouldn't have done that. They could've done with Old Snake and Raiden and it would've been fine

SRG01

Metroidvania said:
This is almost speculation on my part, they're not mentioned that often, but
I think the U.S. wants to retrieve them for their own uses. Liquid mentions that the genome soldiers are 'falling apart', and that's one of the reasons why he demanded Big Boss' remains, to prevent that from happening.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Still doesn't explain why FOXDIE hasn't killed them (Genome soldiers) all off yet. I remember arguing this in on the IGN MGS board a few years back too

Prothero

Neo Member
Kagari said:
The game wasn't as good as they expected, wha...?

QFT. I'm just as confused and bewildered as you are.

Seriously, Eurogamer and Edge made similar remarks, what exactly does that mean? What sort of preconceptions are floating around about MGS4 in some places?

Here's what I know:

Game opens in The Middle East. Massive shooting. Introduction to the game.

That's it.

Where has there been, in any trailer, a hint to some sort of alternate product? I don't get it.

Callibretto said:

Yes, yes, I like this just fine. Give me all of it, baby, all of it!!

SolidSnakex said:

Yes. That is SO key. I don't mind MGS2-length cutscenes, but there just wasn't enough gameplay sandwiched between them.

Yoboman said:
They shouldn't have done that. They could've done with Old Snake and Raiden and it would've been fine

I guess it depends on what side of the fence you fall on. Others who've completed it have said they were surprised at how well everything wraps up for all the characters. You have others that say it gets too complicated for its own good. It could just come down to your knowledge of the series. If you really don't understand everything that's gone on up till this point then what goes on in MGS4 probably isn't going to make complete sense to you.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
g35twinturbo said:
I hate you btw for having the MGS3 LE

You can add me to the "Be hated" club :p though I haven't found the actual game disk, I did finish watching said "Theater DVD" of the game.

Now HOW THE FUCK did i miss this?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/02/metal-gear-mondays-–-top-12-tips-for-mgs4/

Kojima Productions has packed MGS4 with an incredible range of hidden weapons and items, Easter eggs, dialogue sequences, post-game rewards and other such “optional” features. When you take the sheer number of tactical options into account, you realize that many players could reach the conclusion of MGS4 a dozen times, and still not have fully explored the possibilities on offer. There are gadgets and weapons that a player might completely neglect to try out (or, indeed, find), even after twenty or thirty hours of play; later, using some of them is a revelation as you realize the new strategic options they offer. Others are just fun, pure and simple.

SEX!!!

SolidSnakex said:
I guess it depends on what side of the fence you fall on. Others who've completed have said they were surprised at how well everything wraps up for all the characters. You have others that say it gets too complicated for its own good. It could just come down to your knowledge of the series. If you really don't understand everything that's gone on up till this point then what goes on in MGS4 probably isn't going to make complete sense to you.

/agree

I personally care about every MGS character that's in the game and having KP explain everything about them is appreciated on my end. Cut scenes don't bother me.

Sallokin

This week and next are shaping up to be pure Ocelot style torture... At least the headset, artbook and strat guide are coming out this week. I need an MGS fix.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
BlockBastard said:
I personally care about every MGS character that's in the game and having KP explain everything about them is appreciated on my end. Cut scenes don't bother me.

This, pretty much. I feel like there are plenty of memorable characters whose stories need to be wrapped up. Mei Ling is the only character whose appearance strikes me as fan service. Rosemary is a given because Raiden is in the game (as he should be...he's arguably the second most prominent MGS character), and I imagine that due to his incredibly altered state there will be some legitimate drama in their relationship...lite MGS4 spoilarz
her fiance is now just a head and spine in a cyborg body...serious Cronenberg-style body horror storytelling potential there

Although I do agree with the premise that MGS3's pacing of cutscenes was much smoother than MGS2's, reviews complained that there were too many there as well. As long as they're as well-directed as Snake Eaters, I'm all 'bout it.

Yoboman

BlockBastard said:
/agree

I suppose it comes down to how it's delivered, but there's a point where that sort of thing just gets in the way of the story. MGS2 had a lot of that, from Rose and Raiden to EE and to Stillman's stories. They kind of just got in the way

Klone.K

Actually about Rose and Raiden the official Konami site confirms that
they have broken up and are no longer together

See here's the thing, it doesn't matter how the cutscenes are paced, some reviewers simply aren't going to get over the fact there is a large quantity of the cutscenes in a Metal Gear Solid game in general anyway. It's been said be some reviewers for the past three games and this is no different, in which case it doesn't reflect to me barely worth a damn to me on that issue.

-COOLIO- said:
where's the 9 days banner?!?!?!?!?

Sorry, I was finishing up season 3 of LOST. That's a good enough reason, right? :lol

Tonight's might have to be a quick job since I have to be at work early. But I'll throw something together.

Metroidvania

Klone.K said:
Actually about Rose and Raiden the official Konami site confirms that
they have broken up and are no longer together

...Whoa. Didn't know that, but I suppose it fits.

...Now I'm curious as to how that'll resolve between the two....
Especially after Snake helps Raiden onto the heli, presumably after the Vamp fight....I'm assuming the two are going to meet again for the first time in a while...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
brandonh83 said:
Sorry, I was finishing up season 3 of LOST. That's a good enough reason, right? :lol

Tonight's might have to be a quick job since I have to be at work early. But I'll throw something together.

its just that......... i need a constant flow of anything mgs. YOUR BANNER HAS BECOME ESSENTIAL

*waits* O___O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom