• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klone.K

Acid08 said:
That's weird considering GTA doesn't have much for mission variety :/

lol, maybe they were talking about the VC & SA days. Though I can't imagine Snake hijacking a taxi and then doing drive by's of random hookers. Or chasing Liquid on foot, then on bycicle and finally through the alleyways on a Harley Davidson :O

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Acid08 said:
That's weird considering GTA doesn't have much for mission variety :/

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that refers to some kind of vehicular section, as in missions that are similar in structure to GTA missions, not that the level of mission variety is similar to GTA.

Impressions sound totally sexeh. Even with a supposedly ambiguous or drawn-out ending, the suggested depth of gameplay and story makes it sound like an incredible experience.

Klone.K said:
*The gameplay is phenomenal. There is an incredible variety of missions that wouldn't feel out of place in even a GTA game. Gamers will be taken on a roller coaster ride of unpredictable scenarios that spin the entire MGS series on it's head and back.

Anyone else notice this one? I don't care much for MGS' gameplay but that does have me a little intrigued, it def. sounds exciting.

http://www.konami.jp/mgs4/us/top.html

looks like it has actual in game footage proceed at your own risk

at first i thought i was watching a real person (otacon)

Klone.K

MollyMillions said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that refers to some kind of vehicular section, as in missions that are similar in structure to GTA missions, not that the level of mission variety is similar to GTA.

Impressions sound totally sexeh. Even with a supposedly ambiguous or drawn-out ending, the suggested depth of gameplay and story makes it sound like an incredible experience.

I forget which review mentioned, but I recall there being assassination missions, stalking missions and protecting some side-kick mission being confirmed in MGS4. Definitely sounds interesting.

Ristlager

Klone.K said:
*The gameplay is phenomenal. There is an incredible variety of missions that wouldn't feel out of place in even a GTA game. Gamers will be taken on a roller coaster ride of unpredictable scenarios that spin the entire MGS series on it's head and back.

Does this mean I have to do frickin chase missions over half the time in this game as well?

Darthvaderno.gif

zoukka

Heh that avatar just showed how well I have been blocking all spoilers. It's gonna be a blast. I watched every trailer with Snake Eater and it did hurt the experience a little. I mean you saw the shagohod fight and all in the trailers etc...

Those impressions while great are nothing new. I still discover new things in Snake Eater so the massive amount of content was always a fact. And while I love the cut-scenes it's clear that many players will not like them. It will be outlined by the new and improved gameplay-sections where players just want to get controlling Snake instead of watching him kick ass :) I know I don't mind stuff like that, but many people will. And this will show in future reviews too.

BTW Just ordered my PS3 and MGS4 too. I feared I couldn't play it on 12th, but HUMAN WILL can achieve anything :)

Momar

aka Ryder
So I spoke with a lady at Gamestop and she said that the bundles definitely would not be for sale at the midnight release, and that it probably won't even be in that day, but some time that week. Say it ain't so!! Someone, please!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ryder said:
So I spoke with a lady at Gamestop and she said that the bundles definitely would not be for sale at the midnight release, and that it probably won't even be in that day, but some time that week. Say it ain't so!! Someone, please!

Wha...

As far as I know, they are streetdated for the 12th. That means, we will probably get them before then, IE by the 11th. OR if not, they will FedEx to be there on the morning of the 12th.
If I were to bet, I would say they are shipping before the 12th.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Whoa, I just now caught that Jennifer Hale is doing the voice of both Naomi and
Rosemary
. Does anyone know why
Lara Cody
isn't returning?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Metroidvania said:
Rosemary
. Does anyone know why
Lara Cody
isn't returning?
LE FUCKING SIGH! SPOILER TAG THE VA IMMEDIATELY!

Dot50Cal

Banned
Fuck this shit!

bailoutre5.gif

See you in a few weeks, MGS4 threads.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Metroidvania said:
(winces)

Sorry.

....That you knew who she was and who she voiced just from one glance is impressive, though.
I already knew said person was in the game (thankyou very much official MGS site), but I'm sure many a hardcore MGS fan on blackout might have been able to put two and two together.

Momar

aka Ryder
Kagari said:
Wha...

As far as I know, they are streetdated for the 12th. That means, we will probably get them before then, IE by the 11th. OR if not, they will FedEx to be there on the morning of the 12th.
If I were to bet, I would say they are shipping before the 12th.

If it's street-dated, why isn't it posted on the website yet? Or are those two unrelated?

This is making me very sad :(

edit: nevermind, if it was online that would mean you could pre-order it, which you can't. Phew!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ryder said:
If it's street-dated, why isn't it posted on the website yet? Or are those two unrelated?

This is making me very sad :(

The website is very much separate from the retail stores.

Klone.K said:

Anyone else notice this one? I don't care much for MGS' gameplay but that does have me a little intrigued, it def. sounds exciting.

All the reviews are talking about it, the game we think is MGS4, is only a half the game. The second half is something different. I have come to grips that we are getting an MGS2 like story, the gameplay is what really matters and the second half will probably make it or break it. (Most likely make it cause its Kojima and he is a god.)

so i've thought about it, and i'm pretty sure the LE's extra blu-ray disc and selection soundtrack aren't worth another $25

regular edition come to me!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Metroidvania said:
Rosemary
. Does anyone know why
Lara Cody
isn't returning?
I seriously think it's just a mistake. It's not unprecedented. They screwed up the VO credits for Crying Wolf when the site first went live like a month ago. For a while, the site said she was voiced by
Maula Gale (Fortune's VO)
instead of
Debra Wilson
. It wasn't corrected until recently.

Rosemary
definitely sounds like
Lara Cody
to me. Not doubting Hale's range or talent though ;)

FFObsessed said:
W....W...W....WOW! There was a MGS3 Metal Case???? Does anyone know where this was released, it's PAL but I don't think it was released here in UK??

Seriously I MUST HAVE IT! I'm a sucker for those steelbooks! :lol

edit: dabookermaaaaaaaaan!!!

Yo. I got that from Ebay a year ago or so for like £15. It is as perfect condition as you can get. I don't actually know how you could get one before ;x
I assume it's really rare though because I never see it.

Rainy Dog

We've only seen 10% of the game...?

i'd heard even less :O

Really hope this is true...but can't help but feel we've been shown a tad too much now. Before the flashback and Courage is Solid trailers then maybe...but wish we hadn't seen those.

Still, hope I'm wrong of course.

Aggelos

BlockBastard said:
OST SPOILERS

Metal Gear Theme is in the OST guys.

No it's not, period.
I don't know if it is in the game, but on the official MGS4 OST it is not featured

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Klone.K said:
Sounds great. I've always liked MGS gameplay, but it sounds like they've gone all out on this one to make it really special

*Gamers are aware of less than 10% of the game. There are incredible amounts of surprise characters, easter eggs and special features that easily drive the possible playtime into the months. Kojima has kept such an astounding amount of content secret that players will be blown away weeks after launch, still discovering new things.
Only 10%?! Thats crazy.

There was a point where I was worried that the game wouldnt be that big. In the trailers we kept seeing the same location and I thought that its because there wasnt much else to show us. If its true that we've only seen as little as 10%, the I was completely wrong about the game not being that big. Very wrong.

*The game needs to be played multiple times to fully understand and appreciate the story line. There is a great deal of sub plots and layers of themes that are impossible to intake in a single playthrough.
No surprise if its like MGS2. That took a while to understand what was going on.

*The script is enormous, possibly surpassing that of all three Metal Gear games combined. Every character has their story line and very few are left undeveloped. There are numerous characters that have not yet been announced to the public.
No surprise either. i read this interview with hayter where he said that Voice recordings for MGS3 took about 3 months and for MGS4 it took about 9 months.

Frog

Catalix said:
For a while, the site said she was voiced by
Maula Gale (Fortune's VO)
instead of
Debra Wilson
. It wasn't corrected until recently.

Whoa...I wonder if this means that person is in the game? How else could they accidentally post that person's name? KojiPro may have leaked an interesting spoiler.

Also, Debra Wilson is in the game? KojiPro sure loves MadTV actors. :lol

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I still dunno if I want the regular edition or LE.
I want the blu-ray bonus disc, but 25 bucks extra...i dunno.

hmmm....

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
A bunch of secret shit and easter eggs and how their often placed in Metal Gear Solid games is one of the reasons I love them. You WANT to explore that out of the way room, you WANT to get into that little nook that requires you to drop down from another level, just to see whats in there. It sounds like MGS4 puts all 3 other games to shame in that regard. I can't believe this all started out with just a Bandana that gives you Infinite Ammo and a Stealth Suite :D

Now we've got all these weapons, Octocamo and various Gadgets, its literally my video game wet dream.

BlueTsunami said:
A bunch of secret shit and easter eggs and how their often placed in Metal Gear Solid games is one of the reasons I love them. You WANT to explore that out of the way room, you WANT to get into that little nook that requires you to drop down from another level, just to see whats in there. It sounds like MGS4 puts all 3 other games to shame in that regard. I can't believe this all started out with just a Bandana that gives you Infinite Ammo and a Stealth Suite :D

Now we've got all these weapons, Octocamo and various Gadgets, its literally my video game wet dream.

Indeed, it's the attention to detail and the little optional quirks that make me play these games over and over. In MGS3, I spent many hours calling every available support character on my Codec every time I reached a new area, picked up a new weapon or item or camo, encountered a new character, caught a new animal, etc. It just blew me away how much info and funny dialogues they crammed in there. And there were so many ways to use your gear that weren't obvious or necessary.

Hard to believe but it sounds like MGS4 is just going to be even more stacked full of fun touches.

Rainy Dog

C&VG Review. Maybe spoilers as haven't read in full as yet. Reason I've posted is because it looks like it might be the first review by a genuine fan thats also not afraid to tell it like it is :-

MGS4 is a masterpiece, arguably the best in the series and - though many will fiercely disagree - ever so slightly disappointing.

About 40% through, our notepad was scarred with breathless superlatives like 'Genius', 'Amazing' and 'Wow!!!' but by the game's conclusion, they'd given way to considered criticism and stark cries of 'WTF?'. Will you enjoy it? Yes, definitely, but while most hardcore fans will adore it, a tiny minority may be left slightly deflated by the weight of their expectations, despite the game's unarguable quality.

First, a disclaimer: this isn't a 'standard' review. Kojima Productions are so obsessed with spoilers, there's a two page document outlining what we can't say, covering basic plot developments, plus a bullet-point list of forbidden items. Restrictive? Certainly, so excuse the lack of detail. There's also insufficient room, or merit, in explaining control nuances, or button presses - refer to one of the hundreds of online previews, or Side B of our DVD for specifics. Note that we've finished MGS4 twice: once on 95% complete code in Japan (see PSM100), and again on retail code - trust us, no one's played it more.

Oddly, we liked it more second time around - cut-scenes we initially hated reveal self-referential depth that borders on third-level genius. Or perhaps we're over-thinking it. And that's MGS4's triumph - the game is so layered, the question isn't whether you should buy it, but how you'll debate it when the credits finally roll on gaming's most philosophical, frustrating and inspired series.

MGS4 operates on so many levels, it's easy to forget the dumbest of all - as a beautiful-looking, gung-ho shoot-'em-up. On one hand, it's a game where a likeable, ageing soldier shoots countless enemies in some of the most exciting console action sequences ever; on the other, a meditation on war, society, politics, technology and, well, everything.

A heated debate
The game' so rich and contentious, we've had five separate 30-minute discussions about MGS4's merits and failings. One journalist, who played the game stone-faced, turned around at the end and blurted "I think it's amazing|, waxing lyrical about how Producer Hideo Kojima is the master of the medium, and how all talk of Kojima being a frustrated film director is rubbish. Another reviewer, a former film student who'd studied scriptwriting, tore into the wasteful dialogue, despite conceding the game's overall quality. Another, like us, was mumbling about giving the game a perfect '10' for two days, but was so incensed by the final act, he wanted to slash the score and physically confront Kojima.

Our problem? The game doesn't conclude on an emotional swell, but fades out in a way that makes the 'Gandalf on a boat' finale to Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King look like flash-frame editing. Some themes from the early trailers - like Snake choking on his pistol, aren't fully developed, and appear almost in obligation. Kojima has to resolve too many character arcs and plot threads, so the conclusion feels like it's happening around you, rather than through you. Given that it's the last chapter in our favourite game series ever, we expected to be moved to tears - but it's got far less impact than, say, the intensely personal, shocking ending of Half Life: Episode 2.

MGS4, as ever, is mired in huge cut-scenes - you can skip or fast-forward them, but that's missing the point. You want to know what's going on, but don't want to endure clumsy scripting, or needless exposition. MGS4 could be hours shorter, and be considerably better for it. While we adore Kojima's unflinching vision, and attention to detail, if someone had bravely asked him to edit more carefully, we wouldn't be talking about MGS4 as a contentious masterpiece, but the greatest game ever. More confusingly, it might be just that - but only time will reveal its depths, or place its eccentricity in context.

Damn, maybe that is MGS4's genius - its uncompromising peaks and troughs, tied to a level of self-awareness that verges on brilliance. Some of its overarching themes are that of power, responsibility and corruption; which could be read as a veiled confession that Kojima - with a position of almost unparalleled creativity in the games industry - is wilfully abusing his power, but mindful of doing so.

European union
Typically, the game you expect - of Snake battling side-by-side with Militia/PMCs - ceases to exist a third into the plot. It apexes with an assault on a Power Station in South America (with you sniping distant PMCs and firing RPGs at enemy choppers), then, suddenly, it's gone. After a sequence of three or four epic, breathless, set pieces that perfect everything MGS3 set out to achieve, the game downshifts into Europe with a stunning return to core MGS values. We can't reveal where it goes from there - diehard fans could guess - but, let's say, one nostalgic moment is perfectly handled, you get to live out a fantasy and your deadliest foes aren't PMCs, but robot bowling balls.

Sadly, after South America, the game ceases to flow, and instead becomes a staccato showreel of bite-sized gameplay chunks, glued together by mammoth cut-scenes. The components are impeccable - and the game does return to relatively seamless action - but the disconnection is somewhat jarring. You end up shunted between locations and gameplay styles in a fashion that betrays everything the epic five-minute ladder climb in MGS3 set out to achieve in terms of pacing, continuity and scale.

The core sneaking/shooting mechanics are relatively intuitive, but fiddly for newcomers, and abruptly introduced. It isn't until about six hours in that you feel any mastery, and in our first two completions, we largely neglected stealth and the variety of sleeping gas mines, evasion items (like sexy magazines) and the remote-control Mk II. When you finish the game, you're awarded ranks like 'Pig' (for using multiple health items), but, tellingly, we've only unlocked six of the 40. The ultimate reward is for finishing the game with no kills, tripping only three alerts. When you consider we killed 518 people, tripping 110 alerts on our second completion, you begin to understand the game's gargantuan scale and depth.

The PMC/Militia side-switching dynamic works well, but changing allegiance is as simple as who you shot last. The weapon customisation is superb - just adding a Grip to your M4 makes a dramatic improvement to stability. The later weapons - again, protected by spoilers - are immensely satisfying, reducing once-impossible battles to one-shot takedowns. Finish the game, and you'll unlock even more amazing weapons - including some very special tranquilizer darts.

Boss loss
It's easier than MGS3, with some disappointingly literal, if atmospheric, early boss battles. Despite some incredible use of sound, and cute touches, the first encounter with Laughing Octopus is an elaborate shoot-'em-up. There's nothing to rival the scale, or invention of, say, the battles with The End or The Sorrow in MGS3. Two climactic scraps come close - the last is especially thrilling, for reasons that'll become clear - but we'd have appreciated more oblique solutions, or ingenious shortcuts.

Still, with a game this exceptional, it feels like criticising the Venus de Milo for having no arms. The mechanics are fine-tuned to perfection (bar the wonky auto lock-on), the production values are unprecedented (the intro movie is stunning, while certain 'on-rails' sections made our skin prickle with sheer cinematic glee) and the story sporadically leaves you reeling, or hanging on every word. The frustration - and it bites harder given the breathless pace of earlier scenes - is that all the brilliant gameplay, plotting, philosophy and detail gets swamped in the 'noise' of unnecessary content. For every killer line, there's ten of filler, and the conclusion feels like an "Oh, and another thing..." fan-pleasing trawl, rather than the bold finale we hoped for.

The last rites
By the end, it's like Hideo Kojima is writing from his deathbed and insisting the notes be published unedited. To its credit, the game touches on the most important themes of human existence - not a claim you could level at Saints Row 2 - but would benefit from stern self-inspection and bolder choices. Kojima hinted that the game's original ending was vetoed by staff members, but we suspect it was truer to his original vision. The 'new' ending suffers under the obligation of tying up all the loose ends, and some needless indulgence.

The most anticipated game in history isn't perfect. It isn't even as good as we hoped . But... we wanted it to be the Best Game Ever, and anything less was always going to be a comedown. Truth is, if we've reduced your expectations, if not made you a little sad about MGS4: good. No game could survive such a hideous weight of expectation. MGS4's final judgement won't - or rather, can't - be passed today, by knee-jerk critics or fans, but by history. When Hideo Kojima is no longer around to make games of this calibre, then this wilfully rambling, frustratingly piecemeal, lovingly crafted, rallying cry for 'hardcore' games, will receive the inspection, and potential reverence, it deserves. It's at once forward-looking and nostalgic. And endings don't come much finer than that.

As MGS's biggest fans, if we owe the series anything, it's unburdening it from the weight of expectation and our own hype. Nothing, nothing, would make us happier than being told we're wrong - in fact, we're resenting our gut reaction as we type, and keen to finish it again despite all our minor grievances - but either way, it's a journey we implore every gamer to take, regardless of their feelings for the series - because while the destination won't be to everyone's taste, the route is paved with gold. Damn. Now we're sad.

If you want the score, go to the site.

''While we adore Kojima's unflinching vision, and attention to detail, if someone had bravely asked him to edit more carefully, we wouldn't be talking about MGS4 as a contentious masterpiece, but the greatest game ever. More confusingly, it might be just that - but only time will reveal its depths, or place its eccentricity in context.''

Fascinating.

Doc Evils

Rainy Dog said:
C&VG Review. Maybe spoilers as haven't read in full as yet. Reason I've posted is because it looks like it might be the first review by a genuine fan thats also not afraid to tell it like it is :-

For those lazy, CVG gave it a 9.5

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Rainy Dog said:

your post does so many things wrong

-post a link to the article
-don't quote a huge chunk or an entire review
-post the score

edit: thank you

Status