• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dever

Banned
Even though the score is a 9.5, these reviews are starting to make me worried. :( Especially that part about the boss fights not being as good as The End or The Sorrow.

Guled

Klone.K said:
*Cutscenes make up around one half of the game and the pacing is un proportionate. There are points in the game where the gameplay outweighs the cinematics, however during the second half of the title the cutscenes become numerous and extremely long with little gameplay time meshed in between.
How come this is always being said by reviewers, there is 9 hours of cinematics and around 20 hours of gameplay. That doesn't sound like a 50/50 split to me.

BeeDog

Dever said:
Even though the score is a 9.5, these reviews are starting to make me worried. :( Especially that part about the boss fights not being as good as The End or The Sorrow.

Since when was The Sorrow ever a good boss? :S

You guys worry for nothing, AND/OR your expectations are really unrealistic.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Dever said:
Which reviews have said that about the boss fights?

Dever said:

IGN said in one of their podcasts that there is a boss fight that downright surpasses The End battle in MGS3.

Dever

Banned
Guled said:
How come this is always being said by reviewers, there is 9 hours of cinematics and around 20 hours of gameplay. That doesn't sound like a 50/50 split to me.

The gameplay length depends on the player.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
BlockBastard said:
IGN said in one of their podcasts that there is a boss fight that downright surpasses The End battle in MGS3.
Thats good to hear. MGS boss battles get better with each MGS. I expect there to be more than just one boss fight that will be as good or surpass The End boss battle.

Guled

psycho_snake said:
Thats good to hear. MGS boss battles get better with each MGS. I expect there to be more than just one boss fight that will be as good or surpass The End boss battle.
I wonder if the (potential boss spoiler?)
metal gear fight is still in, where you control REX and fight Liquid who is in RAY. You can see it in the TGS trailer

zoukka

Eh I have had no hype for the boss fights from the moment they revealed them. So uninspired design and the video in which they appeared was the crappiest of all MGS4 trailers. And I really doubt they could exceed The End. But if they will, I'll piss honey.

In the beginning I dreamed of bosses which could almost decimate the whole place you fight 'em. You know, like chasing you through walls and crumble whole buildings. Then we learned the destructo-enviroments went out of the window so I guess they are more traditional.

The End style urban freefight with Vamp. Make it so.

Will it be possible to finish the full game without killing anyone? Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.

Of course.

BeeDog said:
Will it be possible to finish the full game without killing anyone? Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.

i doubt you'll progress if you don't kill a boss now and then... but in between, yeah, i think so.. but doubt i will be able to resist using one of the great weapons available :p

Cyberia

Some better shots from EU LE :D

1212489028_1_3.jpg

1212489028_0_3.jpg

Pure sex.

http://www.jeux-france.com/news27763_old-snake-en-figurine-dans-metal-gear-solid-4.html

Rainy Dog

Sorry all, just didn't want the score to be the focal point. Just read the review...definitely the best read (for me and where I'm approaching the game from) so far. Puts anticipation levels into perspective whilst still pointing towards something very, very special. Didn't realise it was the same as the Gamesradar review though...or is it the PSM3 UK review?

Rainy Dog said:
Thanks Cyberia. Looks superb. Don't suppose by any chance if anybody knows whether the Blu-ray disc is region coded or not? Got the UK/EU edition preordered at Play, but have a US PS3.

I'm wondering if the US Blu-Ray would play on a PAL PS3. The Metal Gear Saga discs aren't region-locked which gives me some hope but it's hard to be sure.

Rainy Dog said:
Thanks Cyberia. Looks superb. Don't suppose by any chance if anybody knows whether the Blu-ray disc is region coded or not? Got the UK/EU edition preordered at Play, but have a US PS3.

Yeah, i want to know this too.

Woo, finished paying off my LE yesterday. I don't know what to play to pass the time! Maybe I'll just start watching the cinematics of MGS3 through 2.

C&VG said:
When Hideo Kojima is no longer around to make games of this calibre, then this wilfully rambling, frustratingly piecemeal, lovingly crafted, rallying cry for 'hardcore' games, will receive the inspection, and potential reverence, it deserves. It's at once forward-looking and nostalgic. And endings don't come much finer than that.

:')

Rainy Dog

Darkpen said:
this just begs to stay in the box

Which is why I've ordered the regular edition too ;) And the Gun Metal PS3...though I'm wondering whether thats a step too far considering I don't need the game or the machine :/ Thinking it could be an investment if anything, though...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh yeah I'm back! What happened to the Europe LE :(?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BlockBastard said:
I dunno, but it looks a lot better than the LE available in the US.
Yeah... but I will miss that white/green cover :(

Seiken said:
Yeah... but I will miss that white/green cover :(

I'm pretty sure those DVD cases don't go into that figurine box over there, so maybe these new pictures are meant to show off the contents of the EU LE. I'm pretty sure they're not just gonna tape those two Blu-ray cases together. :p

KBox said:
Is it too late for me to get the PS3 bundle? Where can I got in NYC, to get it?

You mean the PS3 with MGS4? According to Kagari, stores aren't going to be doing pre orders for it. They'll be available on the 12th so it's basically going to be a first come first serve type of thing.

Yoshichan

SamuraiX- said:
I really do hope that's a joke. lol

The box art on the US Limited Edition pwns all. :D
:lol

Here's a new interview with Ken and Ryan. It's mostly about the development of MGS4, so there aren't any spoilers.

Now that you've completed and ship the game, how do you feel about the PlayStation 3, now that you've completed development on a full-fledged game for the platform. How do you feel about its performance and its development environment?

KI: It's hard. Just kidding. I mean, really hard, that's true. But you know, the first year, we tried lots of stuff, but that was not easy. We tried to find a way to solve those problems, and we found it. Now, we feel like we can try to do something else for next-gen. Maybe we can try to make better-quality graphics for something new.

Right now, I feel like I'm really more comfortable with the PlayStation 3 than before. The first year, it was really like a giant monster, or something like that. But now it's like a friendly platform. And Sony was very supportive, too.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18875

Gen-X

Banned
SamuraiX- said:
I really do hope that's a joke. lol

The box art on the US Limited Edition pwns all. :D
IT DOES but that's for the case that holds both the game and the blu-ray disc case. The game box is ok at best, let me replace this *Talking about Old Snake looking at you with the realistic CGI*
mgs%20box%20arts.jpg

with the Japanese Game case cover it's much more sexyyyyy
itemVT007-J1p1_1.jpg

Yoshichan

I usually don't care for Gamespot reviews, but I'm kinda interested in what they'll give it.

I cannot stress how excited i am for this game.. i spent all weekend watching MGS1 and 2 playthoughs on youtube.. all that intake in such a deep story had me dreaming about the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom