• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
BruceLeeRoy said:
Sorry im late everyone apologies.

countdown8.jpg

is that meryl with her hair dyed white??

:lol

j/k......although when i first played MGS2 years ago, I thought that Raiden was a woman by looking at shinkawa's art in the MGS2 game manual.......until i got to the plant chapter and realized hes a dude! weird shinkawa art moment i suppose :D

frAntic_Frog said:
is that meryl with her hair dyed white??

:lol

j/k......although when i first played MGS2 years ago, I thought that Raiden was a woman by looking at shinkawa's art in the MGS2 game manual.......until i got to the plant chapter and realized hes a dude! weird shinkawa art moment i suppose :D
My friends who haven't played MGS since 2 were surprised when I corrected them about the "chick" that took over for snake.

Kagari said:
To me, MGS4 is this generations first real "FFVII," if you understand what I mean. The first truly epic, truly next-generation experience people have been waiting for.
Halo 3 and GTA4 already did that.

Jtrizzy

I don't see what Halo 3 or GTAIV did that was all that different from their predecessors. I haven't played Halo 3 thoroughly, but GTA seemed like the same old chase missions with better graphics.

Both of them are significantly bigger than their predecessors and have significantly more going on at all times.

I'm not doubting that MGS4 will be a serious GOTY contender, but calling it "the first truly next-gen game" seems like a bit of an overstatement to me. Dead Rising, Gears, Halo 3, Uncharted and GTA4 are all doing things that were impossible last-gen.

Barakov

Jtrizzy said:
I don't see what Halo 3 or GTAIV did that was all that different from their predecessors. I haven't played Halo 3 thoroughly, but GTA seemed like the same old chase missions with better graphics.

GTA 4 did away with the mandatory time(ie. story line) based missions. That alone made the game more enjoyable for me. In some ways GTA IV is the best in the series in other ways not so much. GTA 3 is still my all time favorite for better or worse.

Kagari said:
To me, MGS4 is this generations first real "FFVII," if you understand what I mean. The first truly epic, truly next-generation experience people have been waiting for.
SMG already beat it to the punch.

SamuraiX-

Halo 3 and GTA IV made a pretty good breakthrough in the graphics department, but as Ryan Payton has been saying for the past few months, MGS4 will be the first game that he truly believes will offer next-generation gameplay for the players.

Halo 3 is basically Halo 2 but more shiny. GTA IV is actually a downgrade in the gameplay department in the sense of less content, but it does introduce the cover system to the series, but this has been implemented in many last-gen games as well.

The +70 customizable weapons in MGS4 already offers more variety and innovation in gameplay than almost any other game this gen.

BeeDog

Will you guys shut the fuck up? Stop trolling and baiting potential Xbox fanboys into entering this thread and start trolling as well.

KTallguy

Banned
I don't think MGS4 is the first next gen experience or anything.

But I do know that it's the first next gen game that I actively anticipated and looked forward to from the beginning. This is the game that defines "next gen" for me.

BeeDog said:
Will you guys shut the fuck up? Stop trolling and baiting potential Xbox fanboys into entering this thread and start trolling as well.
I don't think it's trolling to point out that a statement like "MGS4 is the first title to feature truly next-gen gameplay" is ridiculous.

This gen is almost three years old, and there have already been a number of spectacular titles that have truly pushed the envelope in many areas.

It's cool if you think MGS4 is going to be GOTY, or even game of the generation, but you're pretty much trolling every other game on the PS3 and 360 by claiming that it's the only "next-gen" experience to date.

Green Shinobi said:
It's cool if you think MGS4 is going to be GOTY, or even game of the generation, but you're pretty much trolling every other game on the PS3 and 360 by claiming that it's the only "next-gen" experience to date.

So? If some don't feel that any game has really reached that mark then for them it will be the first "next-gen" experience. Just in terms of epic games this generation has been extremely disappointing so far.

zoukka

SolidSnakex said:
So? If some don't feel that any game has really reached that mark then for them it will be the first "next-gen" experience. Just in terms of epic games this generation has been extremely disappointing so far.

Excatly.

I might nominate Portal as the first next-gen experience for me, but it's not console exclusive so I'm not.

Rainy Dog

Green Shinobi said:
Both of them are significantly bigger than their predecessors and have significantly more going on at all times.

I'm not doubting that MGS4 will be a serious GOTY contender, but calling it "the first truly next-gen game" seems like a bit of an overstatement to me. Dead Rising, Gears, Halo 3, Uncharted and GTA4 are all doing things that were impossible last-gen.

Couldn't disagree enough. All those games could've been done on previous-gen consoles with scaled back graphics. Thats where the 360/PS3 are still disappointing me - they're capable of so much yet its all been about the graphics so far. For the most part, Nintendo are still the only ones bothering to truly change the way games are played.

But thats all for another thread :) Back to MGS4...while I'm not expecting it to revolutionize gaming by any stretch, its definitely the only thing so far on the 360/PS3 that truly feels like it matters. I mean on personal, emotional level. Alot of people felt the same about Halo 3 though, so there you go.

Yoboman

SolidSnakex said:
I don't see how Bioshock doesn't qualify for that

And GTA4 too, regardless of whether it deserves a 10

Tideas

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
I don't think it's trolling to point out that a statement like "MGS4 is the first title to feature truly next-gen gameplay" is ridiculous.

This gen is almost three years old, and there have already been a number of spectacular titles that have truly pushed the envelope in many areas.

so it's trolling when someone states an opinion they really believe in?

MCermak

SolidSnakex said:

For serious? I'm having a blast this generation. Oblivion, Gears, Bioshock, Resistance, COD4 Mass Effect, GTA 4, SMG, TP, Mp3 etc. And....we're not even half way into it.

I say stop being such a complainer. If you're that dissatisfied with all this gen has had to offer so far I don't think MGS4 is going to satisfy you either.

Okay, but if you're going to claim that all of those titles were possible on previous systems as long as the graphics were scaled back, couldn't you say the same about MGS4? Scale back the graphics, compress the hell out of the audio, etc? It wouldn't be the same game by a long shot though.

I'm pretty excited about MGS4. Hell, I tried to preemptively make the official thread for it. But I just don't get this whole "first truly next-gen experience" sentiment. What about it is so much more "next-gen" than those other titles I listed?

zoukka

MCermak said:
For serious? I'm having a blast this generation. Oblivion, Gears, Bioshock, Resistance, COD4 Mass Effect, GTA 4, SMG, TP, Mp3 etc. And....we're not even half way into it.

I say stop being such a complainer. If you're that dissatisfied with all this gen has had to offer so far I don't think MGS4 is going to satisfy you either.

Satisfied and blown away are different things.

zoukka

Green Shinobi said:
But I just don't get this whole "first truly next-gen experience" sentiment. What about it is so much more "next-gen" than those other titles I listed?

It's almost impossible to explain things so subjective and sensitive :b

I'd say it's the whole package of quality storytelling, gameplay and technics. For some people Resistance was a true next-gen title while for me it was just one more forgettable and generic shooter.

Dante

MCermak said:
So are satisfied and "extremely disappointed".

So are "extremely disappointed", and "extremely disappointed with epic games" :)

Not to be confused with:

"extremely disappointed" with:

5432_1.jpg

Tideas

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
. What about it is so much more "next-gen" than those other titles I listed?

Doesn't that depends on the person? You can tell me to look at Picaso and I'll say it's crap, and another will say it's the best piece of anything man has ever produced.

Doesn't mean I'm wrong, and doesn't mean the other person is wrong.

It's either the glass is half full, or half empty,

Rainy Dog

Green Shinobi said:
Okay, but if you're going to claim that all of those titles were possible on previous systems as long as the graphics were scaled back, couldn't you say the same about MGS4? Scale back the graphics, compress the hell out of the audio, etc? It wouldn't be the same game by a long shot though.

Obviously I've yet to play it, but from what we've seen then yes. And no it wouldnt be the same game, but you said impossible ;)

I guess my response is that I have no problem with someone saying that MGS4 will be the best game of this generation, or the most important game, or what have you.

I just don't think it's doing much more than some previously released games that qualifies as "next-gen." There have been so many games that pushed the medium already. Forza 2 had a combination of physics and A.I. that had never been seen before. Call of Duty 4 created the most intense battlefield ever seen in a game. Halo 3 took the sandbox shooter gameplay to a whole new level (the second Scarab battle would have never been possible on PS2/Xbox, and that should be obvious to anyone who has played all three Halo games). And as for storytelling, it would have to do a lot to beat out what Bioshock did as far as advancing storytelling in the medium.

Slamo

Green Shinobi said:
I guess my response is that I have no problem with someone saying that MGS4 will be the best game of this generation, or the most important game, or what have you.

I just don't think it's doing much more than some previously released games that qualifies as "next-gen." There have been so many games that pushed the medium already. Forza 2 had a combination of physics and A.I. that had never been seen before. Call of Duty 4 created the most intense battlefield ever seen in a game. Halo 3 took the sandbox shooter gameplay to a whole new level (the second Scarab battle would have never been possible on PS2/Xbox, and that should be obvious to anyone who has played all three Halo games). And as for storytelling, it would have to do a lot to beat out what Bioshock did as far as advancing storytelling in the medium.

Ok.

Bye.

EazyB

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
WTF was the point of that post?
For what it's worth I think you've been extremely level-headed and rational with your argument. It seems like many are just really wrapped up in the hype surrounding MGS4 that they must make absurd comments like "it's the first and only next gen game" and feel that because it's their opinion they are not accountable for backing up this claim. You can't win here.

Ploid 3.0

Ruliweb notes.

Ruliweb: "Quality and Volume is astounding. Fans will like it. Newbies are welcomed through many friendly systems.
Even Gamers that are bad at action games need to play it. MGS Online is included. Cant see a single flaw

(Spoiler contain bits on what the game is, a particular gameplay element being intact, some new game play element being fun. Mainly a spoiler that blackout people would complain to me about)
Espionage Action and Bossbattles are Intact. Buying Stuff and custumizing is fun
The Cutscenes are astounding and there are many of the,
Online Play is included which is nice

(A cutscene length comment in the spoiler)
I think there are a little too many cutscenes
Yet
You will watch them till the end
Many Extra Content
The Online plays like the main game
(Something about how MGO plays)
A lot of replayability

(The name of something snake use as armor)
Octocamo
is easy to use
Dont have any problems with the quality of the cutscenes
Too many characters
. You will need to play the previous games (amount of characters comment)
Online play is unique"

Is this ok to post?

Slamo

Green Shinobi said:
WTF was the point of that post?

That I agree with you but this has no place here.

You were called out, replied and lets leave it at that. There's no need to derail this any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom