• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
dr3upmushroom said:
Good to hear, I haven't see much of them expect for the typical pre release stuff at Gamestop.

Basically, the entire store front windows have huge MGS4 posters. The PS3 demo unit is MGS4 themed, there's MGS4 box art everywhere, and on the cabinets there's a MGS4 poster. It is truly awesome.

Kagari said:
Basically, the entire store front windows have huge MGS4 posters. The PS3 demo unit is MGS4 themed, there's MGS4 box art everywhere, and on the cabinets there's a MGS4 poster. It is truly awesome.

Except for the fact that you're only getting 3-5 bundles. =(

Kagari said:

pics.

Darkpen

Banned
JPBrowncoat said:
Just watched the Kojima interview with new footage and man does the animation look awesome when Snake is shooting enemies. It almost makes me want to forget about trying to do a no-kill run.
it looked like whoever was playing was playing on the easiest difficulty level, lol D:

Acid08

Banned
Auron_Kale said:
This is why we should have a meet-up of some sorts. After being burned twice by the Final Fantasy events (even though I got a t-shirt at one of them), having some form of organized group is the way to go as there are always people coming/going for various things - learned that when I went to the Nintendo SSBB tournament with friends.

So...who's up for making the thread for the meet-up?
Yeah we really should do a meet up. I really hope they give out MGS4 shirts there lol.

But yeah, I'm not sure about what time I'm going. My friend is really lazy and doesn't like to leave for places until late. I'll just go earlier than him probably. No way in fucking hell I am missing this.

Yoboman

distantmantra said:
Only seven games so far have received perfect scores. They are listed in chronological order:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
2. Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)
3. Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., Ltd., for PlayStation)
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo for Nintendo GameCube)
5. Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
6. Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)

Games that received a near-perfect score of 39 include:

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991, Nintendo, for Super Famicom)
2. Virtua Fighter 2 (1995, Sega, for Sega Saturn)
3. Ridge Racer Revolution (1995, Namco, for PlayStation)
4. Super Mario 64 (1996, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
5. Tekken 3 (1998, Namco, for PlayStation)
6. Cyber Troopers Virtual On Oratorio Tangram (1999, Sega, for Dreamcast)
7. Final Fantasy X (2001, Square Co., Ltd., for PlayStation 2)
8. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (2001, Sony Computer Entertainment, for PlayStation 2)
9. Resident Evil (2002, Capcom, for Nintendo GameCube)
10. Dragon Quest VIII (2004, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
11. Gran Turismo 4 (2004, Sony Computer Entertainment, for PlayStation 2)
12. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (2005, Konami, for PlayStation 2)
13. Dead or Alive 4 (2005, Tecmo, for Xbox 360)
14. Kingdom Hearts II (2006, Square Enix and Buena Vista Games, for PlayStation 2)
15. Ōkami (2006, Capcom, for PlayStation 2)
16. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (2007, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
I thought Brawl got 39?

Sorry im late everyone apologies.

countdown8.jpg

40/40 are you fu@#$ing kidding me!
Oh man that is so so awesome.

Darkpen

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Nintendodogs and FFXII make Famitsu irrelevant
the only bad thing about 12 was that the ending sucked. The development hell that the game went through really shows through. Its pretty depressing, because so much of the game is fun.

Now if only they'd release the god damned international version :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
duhhh of course it got a 40/40

MGS4 is a matter of national pride at this point. it's the "next-gen" japanese equivalent of the mayan invention of the number 0

Don't make me kill you all about ffxii. seriously.

and bt, you mention ffxii but not wind waker? pew pew in your face, mister.

BlueTsunami said:
Nintendodogs and FFXII make Famitsu irrelevant

Seriously man, don't put mother****ing Nintendogs next to Final Fantasy XII. Jesus Christ, even if you disliked FFXII, that's still bullshit!!

Don't make me beat you to death with my cock, BlueTsunami!

Yoboman

Vagrant Story makes the whole list relevant, regardless of what else you disagree on

Now that's called having refined taste

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Y2Kev said:
and bt, you mention ffxii but not wind waker? pew pew in your face, mister.

Oh god, I think I've mentally blocked the combination of the words Wind and Waker. But yeah, that didn't deserve a 40

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Don't make me beat you to death with my cock, BlueTsunami!

;_;

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
surprisingly, despite nintendogs and famitsu being for sale, that's a pretty good list imo. i'd definitely enjoy owning all those games (I think i do most of them).

Yoboman

Don't Famitsu only play like 30% of a game before reviewing it? I can see why FFXII scored like that if they do

BlueTsunami said:
Oh god, I think I've mentally blocked the combination of the words Wind and Waker. But yeah, that didn't deserve a 40

;_;

I'm sorry man, famitsu isn't something deserving for me to get anger over.

Come here, I'll just beat you in a friendly manner instead.

zoukka

Someone still gives a shit about Famitsu? Didn't they rate the release Gundam game for PS3 VERY high? Moneyhats... sombreros.

DrBo42

Klone.K said:
This review;
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=189974

8 more days til Kojima's collective mind rape of society,

CVG said:
By the end, it's like Hideo Kojima is writing from his deathbed and insisting the notes be published unedited. To its credit, the game touches on the most important themes of human existence – not a claim you could level at Saints Row 2

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots/review/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots/a-20080602125952203027/g-20051216153655522074/p-3

gamesradar said:
By the end, it's like Hideo Kojima is writing from his deathbed and insisting the notes be published unedited. To its credit, the game touches on the most important themes of human existence – not a claim you could level at Saints Row 2

PSM UK said:

Can we make sure these triplicate reviews (all done by the same guy) aren't counted? There's already 2 in the OP. Just count the PSM UK version and delete gamesradar.

zoukka

Himuro said:
lmao @ famitsu

If this is on par with Final Fantasy XII I don't even want to bother. :lol Whenever Famitsu gives a game a 40/40 these days I get so damn cautious.

I'm sure MGS4 will be more enjoyable than FF12 though. There hasn't been a bad Metal Gear yet.

Except Portable Ops (well not bad, but definately not great).

And the 39-list kills the 40-one.

NeoUltima

DrBo42 said:

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots/review/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots/a-20080602125952203027/g-20051216153655522074/p-3

Can we make sure these triplicate reviews (all done by the same guy) aren't counted? There's already 2 in the OP. Just count the PSM UK version and delete gamesradar.
The thing I don't get is...it got a 9.5 in PSM, but only a 9 at Gamesradar.

Ephemeris

"It's me... Yes, I've seen the official thread... What's that about japan?... 40/40? I see.. Hmm?... Yes sir, only 8 more days... uh huh.. yes.. I agree.. everything is going according to plan... What should I do about GAF? ... Yes sir. I'll keep them under surveillance... Yes. Thank you. Good-bye..

..Mr. President."

10nc7eq.gif

KTallguy

Banned
creamsugar said:
40/40 (from 2ch, unconfirmed)

Editor A
圧倒的すぎるクオリティーとボリューム。シリーズのファンはもちろん
本作から始めても十分楽しめる親切な仕様も多くて◎。アクションが多
少苦手でもぜひやってほしい作品。本編に加え、『メタルギア オンラ
イン』も内容、サポートともに充実しており、まったく死角が見当たらない。

Editor B
おなじみのスニーキングアクションや、仕掛けが盛りだくさんのボス戦
は健在。何より新たな要素である武装の購入やカスタマイズが楽しい!
 注目のデモシーンもほかに類を見ないほどの大ボリュームで超充実で
す。さらに仲間との連繋を重視したオンライン対戦もできてオトクすぎ!

Editor C
膨大なデモに、新旧合わせたネタの数々。少々くどいと思える部分もあ
るが、最期まで見応え十分。また、自由にプレイスタイルが選べ、やり
込み要素も多いので、2週目以降も楽しい。オンラインは本編の設定を
活かしたシステムやルールは◎で、こちらもくり返し遊びたくなりました。

Editor D
自動で擬態する”オクトカム”は、初心者にもわかりやすいシステム。
デモシーンのクオリティーも文句なし。ただし、1~3作目からの登場
人物が多いので、ストーリーを十分に楽しみたいのなら要予習。オンラ
インは一般兵VSスネークなと、本シリーズならではのルールもあるのが○。

My shot.

Editor A
An overwhelming amount of quality and volume. Thanks to a lot of great features, long time fans of the series and neophytes alike will be able to enjoy the game. Even if you’re not so great at action games, we really recommend you give this a try. Furthermore, the content in the Metal Gear Online mode is an excellent addition to the main story. A game with seemingly no weak points whatsoever.

Editor B
The familiar sneaking action triumphantly returns, along with boss battles full of tricks and surprises. But even more fun is the ability to purchase and customize equipment with new abilities! The popular cutscenes are also back in huge numbers, leaving you immensely satisfied. Finally, playing the online versus mode with your buddies and linking up is just too awesome!

Editor C
Within the massive amounts of cutscenes there are numerous easter eggs, mixing both the old and the new. Some parts get a little verbose and wordy, but the end is really worth it. Also, because depending on your style of play, many different gameplay elements emerge, the second straight week of play is still fun. Another great point: the Online mode’s rules and system are carried over from the single player. You’ll want to play it over and over again.

Editor D
“Octo-Cam” allows players to automatically blend in, a system easy for even beginners to understand. We have no complaints about the quality of the cutscenes at all. However, many characters from the previous games appear, so if you want to get the most out of the story, you’ll need a bit of preparation. In the Online Game, modes like “Snake vs Soldiers” are truly unique to this series.

Schrade said:
SDP: http://sdp.ppona.com/

Works great for ripping live streams and streams that Orbit Downloader can't get.

Danke.

DrBo42

KTallguy said:
My shot.

Editor A
An overwhelming amount of quality and volume. Thanks to a lot of great features, long time fans of the series and neophytes alike will be able to enjoy the game. Even if you’re not so great at action games, we really recommend you give this a try. Furthermore, the content in the Metal Gear Online mode is an excellent addition to the main story. A game with seemingly no weak points whatsoever.

Editor B
The familiar sneaking action triumphantly returns, along with boss battles full of tricks and surprises. But even more fun is the ability to purchase and customize equipment with new abilities! The popular cutscenes are also back in huge numbers, leaving you immensely satisfied. Finally, playing the online versus mode with your buddies and linking up is just too awesome!

Editor C
Within the massive amounts of cutscenes there are numerous easter eggs, mixing both the old and the new. Some parts get a little verbose and wordy, but the end is really worth it. Also, because depending on your style of play, many different gameplay elements emerge, the second straight week of play is still fun. Another great point: the Online mode’s rules and system are carried over from the main story mode (?). You’ll want to play it over and over again.

Editor D
“Octo-Cam” allows players to automatically blend in, a system easy for even beginners to understand. We have no complaints about the quality of the cutscenes at all. However, many characters from the previous games appear, so if you want to get the most out of the story, you’ll need a bit of preparation. In the Online Game, modes like “Snake vs Soldiers” are truly unique to this series.

Danke.

From the looks of those editor snippets, I don't think they really beat the game. Their responses are almost exactly the same. There's no real detail either, too cookie-cutter for me to take it seriously.

KTallguy

Banned
DrBo42 said:
From the looks of those editor snippets, I don't think they really beat the game. Their responses are almost exactly the same. There's no real detail either, too cookie-cutter for me to take it seriously.

How do you figure? They say the end is worth it, and you can play for two weeks without getting bored.
You don't think they played it at that event that Konami held?

Famitsu reviews never go into too much detail.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DrBo42 said:
The fact that they mention MGO, when the servers assumably aren't up yet, it a bit suspect.

Druff

Banned
DrBo42 said:

I take it you're not really familiar with Famitsu reviews. That's how they all are. Very brief, very to the point, very little detail.

Yoboman

KTallguy said:
How do you figure? They say the end is worth it, and you can play for two weeks without getting bored.
You don't think they played it at that event that Konami held?

Famitsu reviews never go into too much detail.
Famitsu editors have a bad record of not finishing games, even their 40 games. But unless they went to the Konami event and walked out half-way before beating it, they would've completed this.

DrBo42

Yoboman said:
Famitsu editors have a bad record of not finishing games, even their 40 games. But unless they went to the Konami event and walked out half-way before beating it, they would've completed this.
This is from a mag right? I can't understand the math on this. How long does it take for an article to go to print and then newstands? One of them is saying it's still fun the 2nd week..so that rules out the Konami event. How did he get a review copy more than 3 weeks ago?

Yoboman

DrBo42 said:
This is from a mag right? I can't understand the math on this. How long does it take for an article to go to print and then newstands? One of them is saying it's still fun the 2nd week..so that rules out the Konami event. How did he get a review copy more than 3 weeks ago?
They were invited to the Konami event in Japan and played through, then again to the one in Paris a few months later. I'm guessing

KTallguy

Banned
DrBo42 said:

It's entirely possible that he continued a save file with another review copy (it may or may not be incompatible between builds). Or maybe KP supplied him with one.

In any case, the 2 week thing was more of a "It will probably still be fun if you play two weeks straight" hyperbole. I don't think famitsu editors have time to play games for 2 weeks straight (unless they're doing a strategy guide thingie).

DrBo42

KTallguy said:
It's entirely possible that he continued a save file with another review copy (it may or may not be incompatible between builds). Or maybe KP supplied him with one.

In any case, the 2 week thing was more of a "It will probably still be fun if you play two weeks straight" hyperbole. I don't think famitsu editors have time to play games for 2 weeks straight (unless they're doing a strategy guide thingie).

40/40 Famitsu review, 2 years ago..the whole thing stank. But our noses had been left in the cold too long.

Yoboman

BlueTsunami said:
As far as Famitsu goes, theres also the issue about the score they gave to Haze :S
34? I'm sure Japanese gamers are far less perceptible to the difference in a good FPS and an average one then Westerners

Aggelos

SolidSnakex said:
Here's the newest MGS4 ad for Japan

http://www.jp.playstation.com/movie/cm/asx/cm_mgs4_fan.asx

Warning: it does include footage of a new location, so unless you've watched the cinematic trailer don't bother watching this.

This is an awesome cm.
Especially the moment where the MGS fan has to choose between Metal Gear Solid 4 and the proposal from his girlfriend. And he chooses MGS4 over a connubial life with his girlfriend.....:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom