• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBo42

Yoboman said:
34? I'm sure Japanese gamers are far less perceptible to the difference in a good FPS and an average one then Westerners
But then what does that say about MGS4 since it's been increasingly westernized? :lol Just playing devil's advocate.

Yoboman

KTallguy said:
It's entirely possible that he continued a save file with another review copy (it may or may not be incompatible between builds). Or maybe KP supplied him with one.

In any case, the 2 week thing was more of a "It will probably still be fun if you play two weeks straight" hyperbole. I don't think famitsu editors have time to play games for 2 weeks straight (unless they're doing a strategy guide thingie).
He's talking about playing it twice, obviously.

Yoboman

DrBo42 said:
But then what does that say about MGS4 since it's been increasingly westernized? :lol Just playing devil's advocate.
Nothing? MGS4's main basis of comparison will still be how it stacks up to the previous games, even if the controls have been improved.

DrBo42

Yoboman said:
Nothing? MGS4's main basis of comparison will still be how it stacks up to the previous games, even if the controls have been improved.
That's for the reviewer to decide. Maybe that's your own main basis of comparison.

Ephemeris

Hmm. My expected delivery date of the Limited Edition Collector's Guide from Amazon.com has shifted to June 16th (with 2day shipping). Oh well.

Actually, I would have been more distraught if I got it days before the game, spoilers and all.

Yoboman

DrBo42 said:
That's for the reviewer to decide. Maybe that's your own main basis of comparison.
That's how all the fans will approach it. Really, has there even been a TPS of this calibre at all this gen? The last one I can think of is RE4

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
To me, MGS4 is this generations first real "FFVII," if you understand what I mean. The first truly epic, truly next-generation experience people have been waiting for.

Kagari said:
To me, MGS4 is this generations first real "FFVII," if you understand what I mean. The first truly epic, truly next-generation experience people have been waiting for.

Actually, that would be GTA IV

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Ephemeris said:
Hmm. My expected delivery date of the Limited Edition Collector's Guide from Amazon.com has shifted to June 16th (with 2day shipping). Oh well.

Actually, I would have been more distraught if I got it days before the game, spoilers and all.

That's probably a good thing

play the game without it ya pansy! :D

BlueTsunami said:
GTAIV but that game fell flat on its face. Lets see if MGSIV can do better

it's MGS4, not MGS IV. :D

And don't even get my started about how much of a disappointment GTA IV was. I think I even have a post here praising the shit out of it because of the initial launch-hype. I will never delete that post - it will always be a reminder to me how hype can cloud my puny human mind.

zoukka

Of course it's MGS4. It was Sons of Liberty for PS2 and MGS for PS1.

When I first saw the first trailer I said to myself that this is the game that will show what can be done with Playstation 3. And now it will be the first game I'll buy for that console *sob*

PS4 am doomed.

Kagari said:
Not really.

It's epic, it's 'truly next gen', is the highest rated game of all time, and it sold more than any other game (so obviously, what the people were waiting for). To claim it's anything other than the definitive next gen title is foolish. Whether you like it personally is irrelevant.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
GauntletFan said:
It's epic, it's 'truly next gen' and it sold more than any other game (so obviously, what the people were waiting for). To claim it's anything other than the definitive next gen title is foolish. Whether you like it personally is irrelevant.

Yes, but does it really show what the PS3 can do? Not really. It was also very flawed from what I played and all around ugly in general.

MGS4, on the other hand, is pushing the system like no game ever has yet. It's the first true representation of the PS3 as well as its true first BIG exclusive.

daegan

GauntletFan said:
It's epic, it's 'truly next gen', is the highest rated game of all time, and it sold more than any other game (so obviously, what the people were waiting for). To claim it's anything other than the definitive next gen title is foolish. Whether you like it personally is irrelevant.

Have you personally talked to everyone who's played it or something?

I know plenty of people who feel varying degrees of disappointment on it, myself included. It's iterative instead of innovative.

Kagari said:
MGS4, on the other hand, is pushing the system like no game ever has yet.

How so? it obviously isn't pushing the machine from a technical perspective.. aliasing problems, simple shaders and poly counts. MGS has awesome art direction, always has, but isn't pushing the system in the same way something like Uncharted or Ratchet does.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
GauntletFan said:

It's funny that you say this because most people that I know who bought the game, are bored with it now. More of the same for 3 different sequels.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
GauntletFan said:
How so? it obviously isn't pushing the machine from a technical perspective.. aliasing problems, simple shaders and poly counts. MGS has awesome art direction, always has, but isn't pushing the system in the same way something like Uncharted or Ratchet does.

But how many next-gen non-RPGs are ~30 hours long? How many of them have as much sheer content that MGS4 has?

Dante

GauntletFan said:

Wow....

Yoboman

I was not disappointed with GTAIV at all. MGS4 is going to be an equivelant jump to next gen as GTAIV, so I'd taper your expectations if you're calling GTAIV "iterative" and not expecting MGS4 to be

GauntletFan said:

I haven't played MGS4 yet, but it seems to be doing a lot more than Uncharted, without the framerate problems and terrible v-sync. I don't think the game will have the same immediately impressive WOW factor that Uncharted has, because of the lower-res textures and subdued palettes, but I think the overall effect will be better and more consistent when you factor in performance and art direction.

HAI GUYS! MIYAMOTO IS LIKE... YOU KNW... TEN TIMES BETTER THAN KUTARAGI!
LIKE... PFFT! ZELDA IS THE SHIT YOU KNOW...

Oh what? Oh sorry.. I thought the thread title said "Official System War and Sony Bashing Thread"

GauntletFan said:

its a difference of opinion...

For me GTA is a nex gen imagining of GTA 3....its in no way the definitive nex gen experience...crysis fills that space far more for me....the gameplay in GTA IV is still pretty damn linear...you can go anywhere but the missions play out so similarly ever time.

The fact that gta is the highest rated game of all time is a joke however....its a great game, it is, IN MY OPINION, nowhere near the greatest game of all time. I've found all the previous iterations to have rather repitive core mechanics, and this seems to be the same. Still, the narrative and visual presentation elevate it above previous installments

I've lost all motivation to go to class. I'd rather just sit on my ass the whole day and watch the clock tick closer and closer towards MGS4's release. Ah, despair.

Ephemeris

g35twinturbo said:
That's probably a good thing

play the game without it ya pansy! :D

:lol :lol

This would be the first strategy guide I've ever bought. :D

1) I just want it because of its features (Containing original and exclusive artwork, and boasts a hard cover and a frame-ready 8 x 10 lithograph) :p
2) You're just
picking on me cause I'm the inferior one :( .. or am I? DUN DUN DUN!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BlockBastard said:
I've lost all motivation to go to class. I'd rather just sit on my ass the whole day and watch the clock tick closer and closer towards MGS4's release. Ah, despair.

SCHOOL'S OUT FOREVER

BlockBastard said:

I have a midterm on "Entreprenuership and Innovation/Technology Management" worth 25% in 14 hours and i haven't studied one bit... :/

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Ephemeris said:
:lol :lol

This would be the first strategy guide I've ever bought. :D

1) I just want it because of its features (Containing original and exclusive artwork, and boasts a hard cover and a frame-ready 8 x 10 lithograph) :p
2) You're just
picking on me cause I'm the inferior one :( .. or am I? DUN DUN DUN!

:lol

we have been doing this for 2 days lol

scan=ban!

if there ever was a game that EARNED its long cutscenes, its Metal Gear Solid 4.......provided that the cutscenes are well done, engaging, and WILL ANSWER EVERY FREAKIN QUESTION EVER POSED BY A METAL GEAR CHARACTER.

seriously, after 20 long years of the solid snake era, its finally drawing to a close and solid snake can finally retire in peace or die or get shot out into space or whatever as long as its a fitting yet epic conclusion this should be Solid's finest hour.

Rainy Dog

revolverjgw said:
I have a question about MGO. I used to play Subsistence Online, and it was awesome, but one thing bugged me... if you looked directly at somebody, or aimed at them, their nametag would pop up, even if they were obscured from view, such as crawling in grass or under a box. Is that still in the game?

By default, yes. But it can be turned off when setting up a game/room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom