• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkpen

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
Ruliweb notes.

Ruliweb: "Quality and Volume is astounding. Fans will like it. Newbies are welcomed through many friendly systems.
Even Gamers that are bad at action games need to play it. MGS Online is included. Cant see a single flaw

(Spoiler contain bits on what the game is, a particular gameplay element being intact, some new game play element being fun. Mainly a spoiler that blackout people would complain to me about)
Espionage Action and Bossbattles are Intact. Buying Stuff and custumizing is fun
The Cutscenes are astounding and there are many of the,
Online Play is included which is nice

(A cutscene length comment in the spoiler)
I think there are a little too many cutscenes
Yet
You will watch them till the end
Many Extra Content
The Online plays like the main game
(Something about how MGO plays)
A lot of replayability

(The name of something snake use as armor)
Octocamo
is easy to use
Dont have any problems with the quality of the cutscenes
Too many characters
. You will need to play the previous games (amount of characters comment)
Online play is unique"

Is this ok to post?
rofl, none of that should be spoilered.

Green Shinobi said:
I guess my response is that I have no problem with someone saying that MGS4 will be the best game of this generation, or the most important game, or what have you.

I just don't think it's doing much more than some previously released games that qualifies as "next-gen." There have been so many games that pushed the medium already. Forza 2 had a combination of physics and A.I. that had never been seen before. Call of Duty 4 created the most intense battlefield ever seen in a game. Halo 3 took the sandbox shooter gameplay to a whole new level (the second Scarab battle would have never been possible on PS2/Xbox, and that should be obvious to anyone who has played all three Halo games). And as for storytelling, it would have to do a lot to beat out what Bioshock did as far as advancing storytelling in the medium.

I agree with you that MGS4 is definitely NOT the ''first next-gen experience'' or whatever, even though I think it'll be my favorite game ever. But what did Bioshock do to advance storytelling past anything System Shock 2/Deus Ex did?

zoukka

EazyB said:
For what it's worth I think you've been extremely level-headed and rational with your argument. It seems like many are just really wrapped up in the hype surrounding MGS4 that they must make absurd comments like "it's the first and only next gen game" and feel that because it's their opinion they are not accountable for backing up this claim. You can't win here.

Shinobi had some good examples but like I said it's pretty much subjective what games feel "next-gen" or this-gen or whatever to each of us. I think Dead Rising would have been impossible to do with last-gen machines.

For me the reasons come from; not being interested enough of HD games so far to buy a console for it and such. MGS4 just feels like a game I really have to play. I'm really hoping it will be as astounding, surprising and outstanding as Sons of Liberty in it's time. Technically it's not very good looking so I'm expecting leaps in other departments.

Darkpen

Banned
you know, seeing these reviews that mention the online mode makes me curious:

Is there something that's in the singleplayer story that might affect one's perception of the multiplayer? Something about war and killing and human life?

The reason I bring this up is because back when I went to the ziff davis offices for the MGO GAF vs Kojipro matchup, I remember Jeremy Parish coming up and saying that now that he'd finished the game, he was really curious to play the multiplayer. At the time, I figured he meant he was curious about how the gameplay mechanics and multiplayer dynamics apply in the battlefield, but something always pushed me wrong about how he said that, like there was something more to why he expressed this curiosity.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

God dammit, this game is taking too long to come out :(

revolverjgw said:
I agree with you that MGS4 is definitely NOT the ''first next-gen experience'' or whatever, even though I think it'll be my favorite game ever. But what did Bioshock do to advance storytelling past anything System Shock 2/Deus Ex did?
The whole third wall (or fourth wall, I don't remember) thing, really cutting to the heart of why we do things, etc. "Would you kindly" was pretty mindblowing.

zoukka said:
For me the reasons come from; not being interested enough of HD games so far to buy a console for it and such. MGS4 just feels like a game I really have to play. I'm really hoping it will be as astounding, surprising and outstanding as Sons of Liberty in it's time. Technically it's not very good looking so I'm expecting leaps in other departments.
I really agree with you on this one. If I hadn't bought a PS3 already, this would have been the game to do it. Ever since I first saw the Beauty and the Beast unit trailer, I knew I had to have this one.

Dante

Darkpen said:

Is there something that's in the singleplayer story that might affect one's perception of the multiplayer? Something about war and killing and human life?

The reason I bring this up is because back when I went to the ziff davis offices for the MGO GAF vs Kojipro matchup, I remember Jeremy Parish coming up and saying that now that he'd finished the game, he was really curious to play the multiplayer. At the time, I figured he meant he was curious about how the gameplay mechanics and multiplayer dynamics apply in the battlefield, but something always pushed me wrong about how he said that, like there was something more to why he expressed this curiosity.

I'm fukkin dying over here. 2:42 on a work night I'm jonesin big time.

Green Shinobi said:
The whole third wall (or fourth wall, I don't remember) thing, really cutting to the heart of why we do things, etc. "Would you kindly" was pretty mindblowing.

Pffffft, MGS broke the first wall in a more shocking fashion with the Psycho Mantis Battle :p

AKS

revolverjgw said:

A zillion scattered audio diaries is teh next level! :lol

SS2 was more impressive, especially the big twist. I am ______! Bioshock's twist was of pathetic meat and bone by comparison, albeit genetically enhanced. :D Also, Bioshock's story peaked too early. Bioshock was still obviously a terrific game overall, but the chatter about the writing was a bit overblown.

FirewalkR

Watch out with the Bioshock spoilers, guys, spoiler tag that shit.

Edit: I'm talking to Green Shinobi and Dante, who quoted him. Remember this is a PS3 thread, lots of people here didn't play the game, follow Darkpen's example.

Darkpen

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
The whole third wall (or fourth wall, I don't remember) thing, really cutting to the heart of why we do things, etc.
"Would you kindly"
was pretty mindblowing.

I really agree with you on this one. If I hadn't bought a PS3 already, this would have been the game to do it. Ever since I first saw the Beauty and the Beast unit trailer, I knew I had to have this one.
I dunno. If we start arguing about what's the first real "next-gen" game, then you have to ask what that's supposed to even mean.

Is "next-gen" defined by gameplay, control schemes, or graphics? Or is it merely hardware prowess?

I think we've had next-gen games for a while now, but MGS4 will definitely be the first of its kind for the next-gen systems, with FFXIII coming in to sit next to it when that comes out.

Halo 3, Bioshock, Uncharted, DMC4, Assassin's Creed, they're all "next-gen" games, certainly.

But then you have the Wii, and motion controls in general, or intuitive controls in general. Folklore comes to mind as a really enjoyable "next-gen" game, not just for the graphics and art direction, but really the intuitive motions that you use for pulling folk souls out.

What defines next-gen? I think a lot of things do, and in the end, no matter what people say, if a game looks better than its last-gen predecessor (if its a sequel), then I think its definitely a next-gen game.

I think Halo 3 is a next-gen game for many reasons. The lighting is stunning, the Forge is fascinating, the fact that they included so many features into the game is awesome. Replays should become a standard, and I'm happy to see that NG2 is making use of it.

Dante

FirewalkR said:
Watch out with the Bioshock spoilers, guys, spoiler tag that shit.

Edit: I'm talking to Green Shinobi and Dante, who quoted him. Remember this is a PS3 thread, lots of people here didn't play the game, follow Darkpen's example.

"Would you kindly" Is a spoiler? O_0 I fukkin played the game and don't remember that quote.....

Darkpen said:

these kind of comments are exactly why i think we will all be surprised and amazed when we finally get tp play the game. i can envision the game discussions going on for months about mgs the game and its place in gaming history. go back and read some of the comments from those that have played mgs4. its not the review scores that has me intrigued, but comments like yours that makes me wonder just how deep this game really is.

FirewalkR

Dante said:
"Would you kindly"
Is a spoiler? O_0

If you mention it specifically, it's enough for someone who didn't play the game to think "hmmm, why are those words so special?", then during the game the player might notice that he's hearing quite often... and start wondering...

Still a long shot but... spoiler tag that, play it safe. :)

FirewalkR

Doc Evils said:
Has it been posted Famitsu gave the game 10/10/10/10?

I was searching that too, seems like it was because I saw it on N4G and it referenced GAF. People must have read it, thought "it's just natural", and moved on. :lol

Tenbatsu

FirewalkR said:
I was searching that too, seems like it was because I saw it on N4G and it referenced GAF. People must have read it, thought "it's just natural", and moved on. :lol
Its real, saw the mag.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Ok, I havent played MGS: PO, so I have no idea of the stroy in the game. Does anyone know website that has a plot summary for it?

dmshaposv

I think what makes most us think a sequel is "next gen" is when the game has a drastically different look. You can't deny that everyone gives more importance to the face value. Halo 3 continues from Halo 2 and does do a lot of great "next gen" things, yet many consider it not as big a jump because of the similar look.

MGS4, much like MGS2 before it, had that "holy shit" factor for it. The jump from MGS to MGS2 was astounding because of the massive bump in production values. MGS4 was going to have high production values, that was a given. But in this case the "holy shit" factor came from the stylistic department (old withering snake, open battlefield) as well as the promise of being epic (last chapter, snake's final mission, Kojima claiming to step down as director, large cast, e.t.c.)

So to me a lot of MGS fans are at least basing their comments on face value - none of us have played the game. I'am obviously hoping that the game is mind-blowing and "GOTForever" or what have you (who doesn't mind a great game, particularly one that is of your favourite game series) - but the rational gamer in me also knows to keep the expectation levels in control. (note: GAF is prone to using hyperboles)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Dante said:
"Would you kindly"
Is a spoiler? O_0 I fukkin played the game and don't remember that quote.....

Either you weren't paying attention or you haven't finished the game. If I go by your gamertag you've finished it and how you could miss that plot point is beyond me honestly

About next gen experiences... it's hard to define what that really is. I don't think I've played anything that was completely different and a massive step beyond what we've seen last gen. Assassin's Creed had the scope, but incredibly repetitive gameplay. GTA IV put you in an incredibly immersive world, but in terms of gameplay was very similar to other games. Gameplay-wise the only thing that came close to blowing my mind this gen was mario galaxy

Cartman86

Banned
People aren't getting wrapped up in the hype of MGS4 for no reason. The reason why there are people who think MGS will advance gaming is because to them every game in the series has. MGS1 obviously did and has been said so by most people in the industry, but then 2 and 3 come out and very little is said in those regards. But the fans love em. The fans consider MGS2 and MGS3 to have advanced gaming in their own ways (I admit I am one of those fans). We aren't wrapped up in the hype because it's a PS3 exclusive or because magazines and online sites tell us to be. We are hyped up because we have reason to be based on the previous games. We've never been let down and don't expect to be.

But of course you never know. Maybe MGS4 will be a let down. Though I highly doubt that. Reviews are honestly not going to tell us much. Just what we know so far. It's going to be a polished game that some people just won't like. Looking at MGS3's reviews (mid 80's to low 90's) just proved to me that MGS is certainly not for everyone no matter how much I wish it was.

FirewalkR

Oh the 40/40 score is (or at least seems) real, scans are around the web. What I meant before was that N4G was referencing NeoGAF, which made me think it had been already talked about here.

Darunia said:
Either you weren't paying attention or you haven't finished the game

Quiet now... that was just a psychological trick on Dante's part. :lol

dmshaposv said:
I think what makes most us think a sequel is "next gen" is when the game has a drastically different look. You can't deny that everyone gives more importance to the face value. Halo 3 continues from Halo 2 and does do a lot of great "next gen" things, yet many consider it not as big a jump because of the similar look.

MGS4, much like MGS2 before it, had that "holy shit" factor for it. The jump from MGS to MGS2 was astounding because of the massive bump in production values. MGS4 was going to have high production values, that was a given. But in this case the "holy shit" factor came from the stylistic department (old withering snake, open battlefield) as well as the promise of being epic (last chapter, snake's final mission, Kojima claiming to step down as director, large cast, e.t.c.)

So to me a lot of MGS fans are at least basing their comments on face value - none of us have played the game. I'm obviously hoping that the game is mind-blowing and "GOTForever" or what have you (who doesn't mind a great game, particularly one that is of your favourite game series) - but the rational gamer in me also knows to keep the expectation levels in control. (note: GAF is prone to using hyperboles)

well said follow gaffer. if you look hard enough on the web there are some actual game play scenes from the movie (ops game) that you can experience. the first one that a saw i just stared at the screen not sure what i was seeing. a movie,a cut scene,a documentary, no it was the actual game play. shock and awe

Rainy Dog

Darunia said:
About next gen experiences... it's hard to define what that really is. I don't think I've played anything that was completely different and a massive step beyond what we've seen last gen. Assassin's Creed had the scope, but incredibly repetitive gameplay. GTA IV put you in an incredibly immersive world, but in terms of gameplay was very similar to other games. Gameplay-wise the only thing that came close to blowing my mind this gen was mario galaxy

Sums up my feelings nicely and was what I was trying to get across. Didn't mention SMG because I was keeping things to the 360/PS3. For me, the Wii is out there operating an on entirely different level in terms of innovation. SMG took that and fused it with past sensibilities and level design in a way unmatched by anything in years imo.

Darkpen

Banned
Srider said:
I also confirm 40/40 by famitsu.

All 4 reviewers mention the online mode giving the game high replayability.
which in turn, goes back to the IGN UK review, and the lack of even remotely mentioning the online mode (or did it?)

Because seriously, replayability was given a 9.5/10, and YES I'm still bitter about that :mad:

Dever

Banned
Darkpen said:
which in turn, goes back to the IGN UK review, and the lack of even remotely mentioning the online mode (or did it?)

Because seriously, replayability was given a 9.5/10, and YES I'm still bitter about that :mad:

I think Famitsu is the only one so far. It's really unfair though. I'm usually against this sort of stuff, but I really think that the early reviews should be altered to include MGO. "Starter pack" or not, it comes on the same bloody disc and is a part of the MGS4: Guns of the Patriots product. How should consumers make a purchase decision based on reviews that don't review the full thing?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
From the Famitsu Wikipedia page.

Wikipedia said:
Only eight games so far have received perfect scores. They are listed in chronological order:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
2. Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)
3. Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., Ltd., for PlayStation)
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo for Nintendo GameCube)
5. Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
6. Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)
8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for Playstation 3)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famitsu

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ephemeris said:
"It's me... Yes, I've seen the official thread... What's that about japan?... 40/40? I see.. Hmm?... Yes sir, only 8 more days... uh huh.. yes.. I agree.. everything is going according to plan... What should I do about GAF? ... Yes sir. I'll keep them under surveillance... Yes. Thank you. Good-bye..

..Mr. President."

10nc7eq.gif
:lol :lol :lol Oh my god!

Guled

Dever said:
I think Famitsu is the only one so far. It's really unfair though. I'm usually against this sort of stuff, but I really think that the early reviews should be altered to include MGO. "Starter pack" or not, it comes on the same bloody disc and is a part of the MGS4: Guns of the Patriots product. How should consumers make a purchase decision based on reviews that don't review the full thing?
They might be reviewing it as a different game, or the servers wasn't up yet?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Seven days and one hour left here. :D

SO CLOSE!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Wow, another game leaked early in the UK and they wonder why most games are delayed there.

Yes I am bitter and jealous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom