• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Evils

Hideo Kojima Enters Guiness World Record

Hideo Kojima, the internationally acclaimed games designer, was in London this week to receive his Guinness World Record certificates, as listed in the Guinness World Record: Gamer’s Edition 2008. His achievements are for Metal Gear, the first video game to fully utilize stealth as part of the gameplay and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of liberty, the biggest selling stealth game on Play Station 2.

Earlier adventure games had used elements of stealth, such as hiding and disguises, but Kojima’s creation Metal Gear was the first game to concentrate solely on these elements, effectively creating the “stealth game” sub-genre.

Keith Pullin, Editor of the Guinness World Records: Gamer’s Edition 2008 book, was on hand to present the certificates and said ‘I would like to welcome Mr. Kojima to our family of gaming record breakers and we hope he breaks many more!’.

Kojima is the second videogame designer, after Firaxis Sid Meier, to get a Guinness World Record.

http://www.gamefocus.ca/?nav=new&nid=1095

Kojima overrated? I don't think so.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ahaha, I just got a call, those artbooks came in at my store :( but I don't want to use gas to go get mine when I'll be in at 1 tomorrow.

Volcynika

Kagari said:
Ahaha, I just got a call, those artbooks came in at my store :( but I don't want to use gas to go get mine when I'll be in at 1 tomorrow.

That shows lack of commitment!

But yeah, gas is too damn expensive

rulestitle.jpg

Feel free to repost anytime you guys wish.

Laurent

There's sort of a small character spoilers in the Fox News report near the end, even thought it was something revealed in one of the trailers...

BruceLeeRoy said:
reviewstitle.jpg

Feel free to repost anytime you guys wish.
Put that in the thread title please...

Doc Evils

Ariexv said:
Huh? how are either of those worth awards? Is bungie going to get an award for Halo/halo 2 being the highest selling FPS games on Xbox? or R* getting an award for the highest selling game period on the Ps2?

Earlier adventure games had used elements of stealth, such as hiding and disguises, but Kojima’s creation Metal Gear was the first game to concentrate solely on these elements, effectively creating the “stealth game” sub-genre.

I know you have a hard time reading, but sometimes it really pays off.

NeoUltima

purg3 said:
Got my MGS4 Artbook when I picked up my NG2 and Grid reserves.
*artbook pics*
I thought they weren't giving them out until the 12th? I guess I'll have to call my store later and see if I can get mine early as well.

Laurent

NeoUltima said:
I thought they weren't giving them out until the 12th? I guess I'll have to call my store later and see if I can get mine early as well.
So you go to your local GameStop with you receit and pick it up? Nice...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
NeoUltima said:

Most stores aren't cause we were told not to.

Ariexv

Doc Evils said:
I know you have a hard time reading, but sometimes it really pays off.
I was actually mainly referring to this obviously....and it's not like there hasn't been other sub-genres that were invented and didn't receive awards either. I don't think it's bad at all that hes getting an award, I just don't think that part of the reason for the award should be sales.

and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of liberty, the biggest selling stealth game on Play Station 2

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Just called my gamestop and they are whack!

They didn't get theirs and they said they wont be giving it out until people pick up the actual game :(

I was just at Walmart in Canada :lol and saw some Saga discs with red lettering instead of the silver. Can someone tell me if they are one and the same?

dmshaposv

The art book is kind of a dissapointment. I had a glimpse through it - it basically contains the same character renders we've all seen - in fact anyone with basic photoshop skills could recreate it using online images of these renders. Not worth purchasing for.

I was hoping for conceptual sketches and hand-drawn yoji shinkawa artwork. More "behind-the-scene" stuff.

How big is the art book? Can we rip the pages out and frame them?

dmshaposv said:
The art book is kind of a dissapointment. I had a glimpse through it - it basically contains the same character renders we've all seen - in fact anyone with basic photoshop skills could recreate it. Not worth purchasing for.

I was hoping for conceptual sketches and hand-drawn yoji shinkawa sketches. More "behind-the-scene" stuff.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The gorgeous but now also old eva
:lol :lol

The Fox news bit way oversimplified the story, but they did a really really nice job splicing footage together...especially the end.

i'm voting for mccain now sry guys

Ariexv said:
I was actually mainly referring to this obviously....and it's not like there hasn't been other sub-genres that were invented and didn't receive awards either. I don't think it's bad at all that hes getting an award, I just don't think that part of the reason for the award should be sales.

they couldn't put him in under "biggest sex god." They had to make something up.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
dmshaposv said:
The art book is kind of a dissapointment. I had a glimpse through it - it basically contains the same character renders we've all seen - in fact anyone with basic photoshop skills could recreate it using online images of these renders. Not worth purchasing for.

I was hoping for conceptual sketches and hand-drawn yoji shinkawa artwork. More "behind-the-scene" stuff.

is this the Gamestop artbook? like the one they did for Assassins Creed and some other games? or is this actually from Konami?

dmshaposv

DancingCactus77 said:

I guess if you really wanted to.

But honestly you could just print out high-res character renders which are easily available on the net. Without purchasing the book.

I don't get why konami/kojipro are downplaying yoji's artwork and sketches. They need more artwork from him to publize the game - that gives a lot of personality to the game - rather than render/character models based on his art.

We need an artbook with more artwork like that on the LE box.

purg3

slept with Malkin
DancingCactus77 said:

It's 32 pages plus there are some interviews, series timeline and some other stuff. Not bad for a bonus gift I guess.

g35twinturbo said:
is this the Gamestop artbook? like the one they did for Assassins Creed and some other games? or is this actually from Konami?

It's the GS one. Maybe the artbook that come with the LE guide will be a lot better.

I have been re listening to all the MGS OST from Metal Gear Solid to MGS3 and my god the music in these games is just unmatched. I just get constant goosebumps the whole time its playing. Cant wait to give 4 a listen.

dmshaposv said:

Thats really disappointing I wanted to see more from Yoji. Guess Ill have to pick up the eventual one on Play-Asia.

BruceLeeRoy said:
I have been re listening to all the MGS OST from Metal Gear Solid to MGS3 and my god the music in these games is just unmatched. I just get constant goosebumps the whole time its playing. Cant wait to give 4 a listen.

MGS4 OST >>>>>>>>>> All MGS Games combined! :)
You'll die of orgasm :p

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
purg3 said:
It's 32 pages plus there are some interviews, series timeline and some other stuff. Not bad for a bonus gift I guess.

It's the GS one. Maybe the artbook that come with the LE guide will be a lot better.

oh well hell! lol

I can wait on that, they always have those generic ass artbooks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
shagg_187 said:
MGS4 OST >>>>>>>>>> All MGS Games combined! :)
You'll die of orgasm :p
PleasebetruePleasebetruePleasebetrue

Kagari said:

off topic but if everyone thought like you. oil would be back to 50 a barrel and gas would be 2.00 a gallon

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Rainy Dog

Doc Evils said:
wow some people are trying to sell the MGS4 UK LE for £200 and £300.:lol

I'm glad I got my order in early.

Hmm, might leave both my LE game and Gun Metal preorders on then ;) Were gonna cancel one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom