• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater | Preview Thread

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
HsrMd6z.png

Previews:

IGN
Provided the entire game follows suit with this demo, I think your feelings on Delta are going to depend on just how faithful you want this remake to be. If you’re a purist, then you’re in luck: the new MGS team at Konami clearly sees the original Snake Eater as something of a religious text. But it means Delta’s creative vision is held prisoner by the early 2000s. Even the cutscenes feature the same fade-to-black loading between scenes as the original – something surely cinephile Kojima would have exorcised if only he’d had access to SSDs back in the day.

Beyond the updated graphics and controls, there’s nothing surprising, refreshing, or dare I say exciting about MGS Delta, at least in this demo. The only significant change we did find was that shooting Ocelot did not trigger the time paradox game over screen. It’s not clear if this omission is simply because the demo is not pulled from the final version of the game, but such a famous Kojima-ism being missing from the first press showing of Delta did raise a concerned eyebrow. Hopefully it makes it into the full release.

Vg247
If Konami wants to reach entirely new audiences, it’s definitely going in the right direction by rejuvenating Snake Eater while preserving exactly what made it so enjoyable to audiences in the first place. Starting from the story's genesis, rather than the first game in the series... it might just be a brilliant move, it turns out.

Ultimately, Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater is in solid shape so far. I'm eager to see more. If the rest of the game proves as faithful and as quality as the short mission that I got to play, Konami may be on to hit a home run for fans of the espionage action series, and newcomers to Metal Gear Solid alike.

VGC
“It’s exactly what you’d want it to be.”

Those were the thoughts, shared in unison between VGC and Giant Bomb’s Dan Ryckert after we locked eyes following 90 minutes with Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater.

The remake, which brings Hideo Kojima‘s seminal PS2 stealth title into 2024, aims to not only remake a classic but also revitalize a franchise that’s faced choppy water since its creator departed under murky circumstances.

Push Square
Far and away the biggest is an entirely new control scheme. For our preview session, these inputs were the only ones to hand, but you are able to select the original controls before starting a playthrough if you wish in the full version. A series famed for mapping item and weapon selection to the L2 and R2 buttons, the updated controller settings instead placed the menu scrollers on the left and right buttons on the D-Pad. You then scroll through items via the right thumbstick and let go of the directional input when you've found the correct piece of equipment. The Codec screen can now be instantly accessed by pressing up on the D-Pad, while an entirely new feature lets you select from a list of pre-set camouflage loadouts by pressing down.

Tech Radar
As the first title in the franchise since Metal Gear Survive back in 2018, Konami is facing a lot of pressure from fans to deliver. Taking a break from my play session, I spoke to producer Noriaki Okamura about the process behind modernizing one of the most acclaimed games of all time.

Foremost, I wanted to discover why the team decided that now is the best time for a remake rather than a new entry. “There’s lots of younger fans that do not know the series and we found that quite shocking,” Okamura explains via a translator. “Younger fans not only had not played the games but had not even heard of the series. We knew that if we didn’t do something, the Metal Gear Solid series would just vanish out of existence.”

“Delta is the game that we really want to have draw in new fans and be the reason why people want to either get into Metal Gear Solid for the first time or get back into the series,” he continues. As for why they chose to remake the third Metal Gear Solid game, “This is the very first in terms of storyline [...] if I was asked by a friend or anyone, a younger fan perhaps, which game they should start from, I would recommend Metal Gear Solid 3.”

PCGamer
The look of Delta blows me away because, honestly, I didn't know if Konami still had it in them. But the jungle environments here are visually some of the best I've ever seen, no matter the map layout underpinning them, with the air so moist at points you can almost feel it on your skin. At one point you see Snake wading through swampwater with the crocodile cap on, before a drone's searchlights swoop over the surface, the sun blazing over distant hills as the surface ripples, and in some way captures what Snake Eater always looked like in my imagination.

Polygon
The answer, implicitly, is that fans want what Kojima and his team made. And on that question alone, I think that Delta is a fine way to give it to them. It’s very close to the original, down to the voice lines being reused, and where things have changed, the modernization feels tactful. Its designers’ goal is to give returning players nostalgia and to faithfully allow new players a similar-feeling entry into the series, and it will likely succeed. Including options like the classic controls is also valuable, and this project seems more likely to bring new fans into the series than the Master Collection. Having both available is broadly a best-of-both-worlds situation when it comes to game preservation.

PCGamesN
MGS 3 remake is a fun nostalgia trip with impressive visuals and stealth gameplay that still holds up to this day. But, on reflection, I wish there was even a small splash of innovation present – something that would truly surprise me. Maybe the remake strays from the original path further in, but from what I’ve seen and heard, I doubt it.

I’m interested to see how these two remakes of iconic Konami games are received – one that prides itself on fervent faithfulness, and another that massively respects the source material while also riffing on what made it great. All you need to know for now about Metal Gear Solid Delta is that it’ll be the new best way to enjoy one of the greatest action games of all time. Just don’t expect any big surprises.

PlayStation Blog - hands-on report
Although the demo finished all too quickly at the fabled Boss bridge scene, it was enough to ensure to me that Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater is going to do justice to its original and the lofty expectations placed on it. You’ll be able to experience it for yourself on PS5, with a release date to be revealed later this year.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

That IGN review is dumb as fuck. Was the same idiot complaining that Crash N Sane please too faithful? Also, he claims he wants to distract guards from different areas, how would that ever happen? Then he says it needed an MGS5 open world, no thanks.
Imagine Groznyj Grad as an open area without loading screens. Similar to MGSV Ground Zeroes. That would make it even more fun and I'm sure many were expecting that. The whole base would hear if you shot a gun.

acidagfc

I hope the sepia tint is still there, at least as an option.

You can make fun of the "piss filter" all you want, but there was an artistic intent behind it and I cannot call this a "faithful reproduction" without it.

drezz

Aaah! Just think of the MODS we will have with this game!!!!
I can't wait for it

LOOK AT MY AVATAR!
IT DOESNT NEED THE VIBRATION/GIF
YOU KNOW IM SHAKING!

DelireMan7

Fucking IGN complaining that the game is faithful to the original MGS3.
Honestly I can see why. It was my feeling after playing Demon's Souls Remake. It plays exactly the same as the original and it feels really weird with such nice graphics. Because the original is very stiff and clunky. The difference between graphics and gameplay felt really off for me.

Can be something like that they complaint about.

But I laughed when they complain about "fade to black" cutscenes. They have to find some stuff nobody care to complain about.

Embearded

"The Codec screen can now be instantly accessed by pressing up on the D-Pad, while an entirely new feature lets you select from a list of pre-set camouflage loadouts by pressing down."

So we can change camouflage without going through the menus. I like that.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
I've added few more written previews to the OP (e.g. VGC, PCGamesN and Polygon).

The VGC preview in particular had some pretty important bits of info:

Our preview consisted of the first 90 minutes of the game. Before starting we were asked to choose between a 30FPS quality mode which targeted a dynamic 4K resolution, and a performance mode which renders at 1080 and will dynamically scale higher.

MGS Delta will have a disclaimer like it was in the Master Collection Vol 1, which means they'll keep everything from the original game intact.

“We are well aware that some of the expressions may have been outdated,” says Okamura. “We have a content warning, however, we left [the content] in out of respect of maintaining the original creator’s vision that he had for the game.

Toots

Gold Member
“It’s exactly what you’d want it to be.”

Those were the thoughts, shared in unison between VGC and Giant Bomb’s Dan Ryckert after we locked eyes following 90 minutes with Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater.

The remake, which brings Hideo Kojima‘s seminal PS2 stealth title into 2024, aims to not only remake a classic but also revitalize a franchise that’s faced choppy water since its creator departed under murky circumstances.

I thought they locked eyes for 90 minutes at first
Robert Hays airplane GIF

Mcr I Dont Love You GIF by My Chemical Romance

Now i wish the giant bomb journalist talks in his article about the awkward moment at the end of the presentation when some colleague kept staring at him intently for a reason he did not understand.

sigmaZ

I'm excited for people that like Metal Gear and happy to see Konami is making games, but unfortunately I've never been a big fan of the games. The intro to Metal Gear 2 is up there with the original FF7 as one of the best videogame openings though.

HL3.exe

The level loads and same animations kinda confirmed for me that they're still using it's just underlying PS2 game-logic, with a new renderer built on top of it with some QoL improvements here and there.

If you're a purist, then that's probably great. I love MGS3, but man, I hoped this would've been a overhaul with all the systemic evolution from MGSV. But it's technically still a 20 year old PS2 game at heart. It's like they slapped the thing in RTX Remix, like modders are doing with HL2.

Last edited:

Flabagast

So it’s a 1:1 remaster with upgraded visuals and slight control tweaks, like blue point remakes. Nothing more

I don’t see the point tbh

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Mite be cool but honestly, aside from pleasing the fans I think this remake is quite unnecessary.

Could be cooler if they do it like RE4R, changing stuff to keep it fresh.

SJRB

Gold Member
Honestly reading that this is 1:1 faithful is kinda disappointing, not going to lie.

All the good remakes take the base game and add new elements to it, elevate it to a new high. There’s so much potential here but reading that they did nothing aside some control/UX stuff feels like a missed opportunity.

I mean, I played MGS3 hundred times and I’ve had my fill , why should I replay it a 101st time if the base game is the exact same?

diffusionx

Gold Member
That IGN review is dumb as fuck. Was the same idiot complaining that Crash N Sane please too faithful? Also, he claims he wants to distract guards from different areas, how would that ever happen? Then he says it needed an MGS5 open world, no thanks.
Read some of the comments in this thread. Thing is, nobody is wrong, it's totally subjective. Honestly, all this remake/remaster shit is a waste of time. You make it super faithful, then people say well it should be modernized more. You modernize it more, then people say well it should be more faithful. No matter how you update the characters, someone will say it should be done in this or that way. When people say they want a remake/remaster of game X, what they really want is the remake in their head, not the one that will be made by different people decades later who interpret the game in a different way.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Read some of the comments in this thread. Thing is, nobody is wrong, it's totally subjective. Honestly, all this remake/remaster shit is a waste of time. You make it super faithful, then people say well it should be modernized more. You modernize it more, then people say well it should be more faithful. No matter how you update the characters, someone will say it should be done in this or that way. When people say they want a remake/remaster of game X, what they really want is the remake in their head, not the one that will be made by different people decades later who interpret the game in a different way.
They could give something for both. The new play style can have new gameplay, camouflage changing and no loading screens etc. Then the classic style that they have already announced could have everything in the old way. Also would be great to be able to pick and choose from both.

diffusionx

Gold Member
They could give something for both. The new play style can have new gameplay, camouflage changing and no loading screens etc. Then the classic style that they have already announced could have everything in the old way. Also would be great to be able to pick and choose from both.
"Just design and build two games, problem solved"

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

The majority do not want super faithful, which is why the Resident Evil Series remakes sell as well as they do. If Capcom pulled what Konami is doing here, they wouldn't sell even half as much. Demon Souls didn't light the world on fire in sales neither.

Bond007

Cant knock it for being faithful. Im not expecting anything new.
My expectations are in line with wanting MGS modernized and it sounds like they are doing a great job.

Previews already sound like the reviews will complain about there being nothing "new" lmao.

Holdfing

Not gonna lie. I'm somewhat disappointed. Really what I was hoping for was a 1 for 1 remake of the original game with MGS V controls/gameplay.
I don't think you could change just the controls and gameplay without touching the maps and enemies. And soon you'll find you have to change a lot more.
This is the safest way to remake a game: remade 3D assets and textures, very small quality of life gameplay adjustments. I don't trust Konami to pull off a RE2 or 4 level remake.

Last edited:

Synless

No one is ever fucking satisfied. Game looks great, this is my second favorite MGS so I am hyped.

Also, this is why the FF7 remake team said fuck off we will do a reimagining. No one was ever going to be satisfied.

Top Bottom