• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Desmond

I might pick up a 360 copy in Feb. and import for PS3. Can't imagine playing on anything but a DualShock. Would feel weird.

Maybe the EU delay is to add MGS4S to the pack

Gouda Jouji said:
Yeah, my guess is that the Vita versions of MGS2 & 3 will have a "Transfarring" option in the menu like Peace Walker HD does.

Yes, and Peace Walker is the only one which needs to be retrofitted to an existing game, the other two games shoulld work slightly differently.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
i'm not double dipping so i'll be waiting for the vita version myself. hopefully it's early 2012. this would make one hell of a launch window title.

Nemesis_

Kagari said:
PS3 one is region free. Still unknown on 360. Not even import sites know yet...

Yeah, I saw that. www.VideoGamesPlus.ca have stock but mentioned on Twitter that they can't test till tomorrow.

I have an order on the 360 version from Amazon but I want to be able to confirm things before it ships so I can cancel if need be. >_>

I don't know why but I want to try MGS on the 360. No idea. If not I might just suck it up, import the PS3 one, and then wait for a local release for 360.

Desmond

delmpx.jpg

dm770g.png

Can I take either of these?

Ridley327

H_Prestige said:
Is this coming to PSN?
So far, MGS2 & 3 have been announced for PSN release in just Japan. Per KojiPro's website, they'll be day and date with the retail copy and you have the option of buying either game separately at 3480 yen a pop or as a bundle that has MGS1 as well for 4980 yen. No announcements for other regions thus far.

Emily Chu

Banned
kinda wished MGS1 would get a remake on PS3/360/PC

MGS4 Graphics + controls + Sound+ 3D Camera

keeps all the cut scenes, Music, dialog intact please

solid snake bouncing off a missile just jumped the damn shark for me...

I'll buy it at a high price like full MSRP Kojima.

Danny 117

Emily Chu said:
kinda wished MGS1 would get a remake on PS3/360/PC

MGS4 Graphics + controls + Sound+ 3D Camera

keeps all the cut scenes, Music, dialog intact please

solid snake bouncing off a missile just jumped the damn shark for me...

I'll buy it at a high price like full MSRP Kojima.
I'd like this only if they reworked some of the traps and boss battles to be more fitting with the type of gameplay offered. For example, the Ocelot boss battle was broken in the twin snakes as they introduced the first person aiming mechanic from MGS2.
I just don't want Kojima to shit all over the canon but we all know this will happen if he remakes it again.

Emily Chu

Banned
I offered someone working at Gamestop 200$

to pick up the game early yesterday

"sorry I need this job or my mom will kill me" to that effect

:(

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Criminal Upper said:
Snake Jumping off a missile is still way cooler and/or made more sense than what we had to swallow in Guns of the Patriots.

Yeah I don't get how people can make that Wachowski bros argument against Twin Snakes after MGS4

I'd like this only if they reworked some of the traps and boss battles to be more fitting with the type of gameplay offered. For example, the Ocelot boss battle was broken in the twin snakes as they introduced the first person aiming mechanic from MGS2.

To be fair though that was a pretty shitty and easily exploitable boss fight in the original

So "breaking" that fight is nowhere near the tragedy everyone makes it out to be when bashing TTS

Ridley327

Retro_ said:
Yeah I don't get how people can make that Wachowski bros argument against Twin Snakes after MGS4
They also forget that Kojima was the one who insisted that Kitamura do the scenes that way.

Retro_ said:

What did Snake do in MGS4 that was as over the top as the stuff that he did in Twin Snakes? He was even less athletic in that game due to how much he'd aged.

SolidSnakex said:
What did Snake do in MGS4 that was as over the top as the stuff that he did in Twin Snakes? He was even less athletic in that game due to how much he'd aged.

Believe he's regarding the action choreography in general in MGS4. It's every bit as anime as TSS by that point.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
SolidSnakex said:

I always thought the issue was with the action scenes in general. Not just because it was Snake

then in MGS4 we get this and THIS and no one has any problems

Otheradam

omgkitty said:
Anyone else who preordered the LE version from Amazon still have a ship date of the 14th?

I had the PS3 LE preordered when it was first announced but canceled and taking a chance on the 360 version which I preordered Oct 31. It says its delivery estimate for me is the 14th. I might just cave and go to Gamestop and preorder the LE if they will have it on the 8th though.

Retro_ said:
I always thought the issue was with the action scenes in general. Not just because it was Snake

It was always because of Snake. Gray Fox did stuff seen in those two videos back in MGS1.

AgentOtaku said:
Believe he's regarding the action choreography in general in MGS4. It's every bit as anime as TSS by that point.

Except for Snake. It's like the people that defend the cutscenes in Twin Snakes have decided to completely ignore why people dislike them. Snake has always been somewhat grounded in Kojima's games. Despite being a clone he's meant to be a normal soldier that's able to overcome insane odds. Yet in Twin Snake's he's kick flipping off missiles and flipping over slabs of concrete. It also took away from how cool Ninja was supposed to be. He doesn't exactly stand out when Snake can do all the same shit that he can do.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Red Blaster said:
It was always because of Snake. Gray Fox did stuff seen in those two videos back in MGS1.

Grey Fox did not breakdance with robot shoelaces no

Not even in TTS

Except for Snake. It's like the people that defend the cutscenes in Twin Snakes have decided to completely ignore why people dislike them.

I'm not defending them, just saying the people that dislike them and are ok with 4's are weird.

This is the first time I've seen people specify that it's just Snake's they have a problem with and I've seen the same TTS arguments for years.(OCELOT FIGHT BROKEN WORST GAME EVER)

Retro_ said:

Raiden is a supersoldier in mecha form.

Vamp is an inmortal almost supernatural being.

Snake is still a human being with exceptional training and genetics, but still a normal human being.

If raiden was doing missile surfing it wouldn't be wrong, snake on the other hand it fucks with the character. I mean I agree that the action became ludicrous on MGS3 and MGS4, but still they put snake on a more grounded level, while in TT it seems he's almost a superhuman.

Retro_ said:
Grey Fox did not breakdance with robot shoelaces no

Not even in TTS

I'm not defending them, just saying the people that dislike them and are ok with 4's are weird.

This is the first time I've seen people specify that it's just Snake's they have a problem with and I've seen the same TTS arguments for years.(OCELOT FIGHT BROKEN WORST GAME EVER)

What are you talking about, the Snake angle is in literally every Twin Snakes thread. And damn you to hell for making me defend MGS4.

AgentOtaku said:
Believe he's regarding the action choreography in general in MGS4. It's every bit as anime as TTS by that point.
Fixed.

Heck, I thought he was already borrowing from the Twin Snakes playbook with MGS3. That part where Eva DRIVES A MOTORCYCLE UP A PERSON'S FACE and then flips back around was definitely very anime/surreal/MGS4-like.

Basically, people hate Twin Snakes because it wasn't on PlayStation, because it was mostly developed by Silicon Knights, because the voices were different, (edit) because the MGS2 mechanics weren't so well implemented (/edit), and because it wasn't the "original." The "over-the-top" argument no longer holds water.

Will buy a Wii U port of HD Collection day one if it includes Twin Snakes in the pack.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm not going down this rabbit hole. Call this a copout or whatever idc

my point is that TTS cutscenes are stupid MGS4 cutscenes are stupider

How you justify the stupid in your head is all up to you

What are you talking about, the Snake angle is in literally every Twin Snakes thread.

Oh man I missed those. :(

SamuraiX-

Retro_ said:

wat

I'm pretty sure I've never seen people complain about Gray Fox in TTS. What's stupid is that they made Snake every bit as agile and athletic as a fucking cyborg ninja wearing a mechanically enhanced exoskeleton.

Some clips from the Raiden and Vamp fight were somewhat cringe worthy, but what makes them ok is that they weren't completely out of the realm of possibility given that it was cyborg ninja Raiden and dances-on-water Vamp fighting.

SamuraiX- said:
wat

I'm pretty sure I've never seen people complain about Gray Fox in TTS. What's stupid is that they made Snake every bit as agile and athletic as a fucking cyborg ninja wearing a mechanically enhanced exoskeleton.

Some clips from the Raiden and Vamp fight were somewhat cringe worthy, but what makes them ok is that they weren't completely out of the realm of possibility given that it was cyborg ninja Raiden and dances-on-water Vamp fighting.

Snake does like, two flips in the whole game. He is not treated on equal footing with the ultra-supersuit characters. Besides, he is definitely still in his "prime" in MGS1/TTS.

Also Kojima requested changes and approved them. So it's really just a matter of "well, Kojima didn't do it HIMSELF" so it doesn't count! Even though it has his stamp of approval on the front cover. You'd think it was Snake's Revenge the way some people talk about TTS.

Desmond

Lupin the Wolf said:
Fixed.

Heck, I thought he was already borrowing from the Twin Snakes playbook with MGS3. That part where Eva DRIVES A MOTORCYCLE UP A PERSON'S FACE and then flips back around was definitely very anime/surreal/MGS4-like.

Basically, people hate Twin Snakes because it wasn't on PlayStation, because it was mostly developed by Silicon Knights, because the voices were different, (edit) because the MGS2 mechanics weren't so well implemented (/edit), and because it wasn't the "original." The "over-the-top" argument no longer holds water.

Will buy a Wii U port of HD Collection day one if it includes Twin Snakes in the pack.
The voices were better (for Mei/Rachel at least). You don't think controls are a fair complaint

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
SamuraiX- said:

I guess since Snake is pretty much in all the cutscenes, it never registered as "because it was snake" to me

but I don't agree with the idea that the things he did were comparable to what Greyfox did, or that Snake is supposed to be "a regular soldier" in the first place.(The strongest soldier in the world is most certainly "super human" on some level)

Lupin the Wolf said:
Fixed.

Nope. People keep using this false equivalency BS trying to defend Twin Snakes' stupidity. bububub *character that's not Snake* did this crazy thing therefore Twin Snakes is okay and you guys need to stop hating it!!!! There's a codec exchange in MGS4 where Otacon marvels at Snake's ability in MGS1 to take out a tank using simply grenades. The idea that Snake's a no-BS soldier is still active in MGS4.

Moreover, MGS4's stupidity was for other reasons. Like Otacon crying into a laptop while Naomi magically has cancer and dies because nanomachines or something.

Snake does like, two flips in the whole game. He is not treated on equal footing with the ultra-supersuit characters. Besides, he is definitely still in his "prime" in MGS1/TTS.

Also Kojima requested changes and approved them. So it's really just a matter of "well, Kojima didn't do it HIMSELF" so it doesn't count! Even though it has his stamp of approval on the front cover. You'd think it was Snake's Revenge the way some people talk about TTS.

Who gives a shit if Kojima approved them? He's literally the George Lucas of gaming.

Desmond said:
The voices were better (for Mei/Rachel at least). You don't think controls are a fair complaint

Are you saying voices were better in MGS1 or in Twin Snakes? They were definitely more accurate to the *characters* in Twin Snakes.

As for controls, yeah, I can see that. But I thought the implementation was intuitive (rolling thumb to another button to cancel FPS mode). The only one that bugged me was the Codec being "Start+A" and the map "Start+B" or however they did it.

for the person who has this early, are there any alternative control schemes for MGS2/MGS3 on the PS3 version that hint at how the 360 version plays?

even aside, I'm wondering if they'll change things to appeal modern control schemes. I think the recent RE4 HD thing had a layout that mapped both aim and shoot to the shoulder buttons.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Red Blaster said:
There's a codec exchange in MGS4 where Otacon marvels at Snake's ability in MGS1 to take out a tank using simply grenades. The idea that Snake's a no-BS soldier is still active in MGS4.

uhhhh I don't think you remember that scene right if you think that.

In the scene Otacon recalls an army officer saying "there's no way in hell an infantryman can take on a tank one on one" or something like that

which I think more establishes Snake as somewhat superhuman than the opposite, while poking fun at the absurdity of the scenario

Not adding much here, just wanted to say i loved the stuff with Gray Fox in TTS. Fox vs Rex make cream mah pants... Flameon.gif

Ridley327

I don't know if I'd ever call Snake a no-BS soldier. MGS2 does start with him bungie jumping off a bridge onto a tanker, landing on his legs with no apparent bodily injuries. And that's just the start of the crazy shit he does in MGS2.

Let's all agree that the MGS games are, at best, slightly exaggerated in all respects.

Salaadin

Lupin the Wolf said:
Snake does like, two flips in the whole game. He is not treated on equal footing with the ultra-supersuit characters. Besides, he is definitely still in his "prime" in MGS1/TTS. the front cover. You'd think it was Snake's Revenge the way some people talk about TTS.

Its not just Snake flipping. Its his all around acrobatic ability that simply does not exist to that extent in any MGS game. In TTS, he spidermans on walls, goes all matrix matrix under chunks of ceiling, jumps on missles, flips over doorways. It looks ridiculous for Snake to do.

The voices are better and more accurate in TTS but the voice acting itself is not. MGS1 has the best VA of the entire series though so TTS had a lot to live up to.

Twisted-Gamer said:
Not adding much here, just wanted to say i loved the stuff with Gray Fox in TTS. Fox vs Rex make cream mah pants... Flameon.gif

Agreed. As much as I despise the Snake acrobatics in TTS, I think they did a great job with Fox.

Red Blaster said:
Nope. People keep using this false equivalency BS trying to defend Twin Snakes' stupidity. bububub *character that's not Snake* did this crazy thing therefore Twin Snakes is okay and you guys need to stop hating it!!!! There's a codec exchange in MGS4 where Otacon marvels at Snake's ability in MGS1 to take out a tank using simply grenades. The idea that Snake's a no-BS soldier is still active in MGS4.

Moreover, MGS4's stupidity was for other reasons. Like Otacon crying into a laptop while Naomi magically has cancer and dies because nanomachines or something.

Again, Snake does like, two flips in the game. Will I say it's not over-the-top? No. But it's not like he couldn't have done it. Maybe it was a little out of character for Solid Snake. But Kojima said "do it that way." How is that any different from Kojima doing it that way himself?

I concede that I find one scene pretty dumb though: the flip over the doorway in the Rex Hangar. Totally unnecessary and kinda laughable.

Who gives a shit if Kojima approved them? He's literally the George Lucas of gaming.

Whoa, wait, where did that come from? Literally, huh? By what standard is this true? Yes he made a popular trilogy of games. However, he doesn't release Special Editions and refuse to make the originals available for purchase, nor has he made a habit of revising the cut scenes of existing games. He did it *once* with Twin Snakes and had someone else do it. And the original PSX version has even been reprinted once since then. Retconning events of past games with newer games is certainly not on the same level of douchebaggery as Lucas himself. And Kojima has actually tried to be consistent for the most part; but if Lucas decided he disagreed with a scene in the old movie, he wouldn't explain away its events, he would just "fix" the original movie!

Anyway, you're using inflammatory language and hyperbole to get your point across and I don't care for it, so this is the last I have to say on the matter.

Pandanaut

Granted I have no idea about the numbers but the PS3 version of the Limited Edition is sold out on Amazon. All of the local Gamestops here said they weren't even getting copies and the only place I could get the PS3 version was through the Gamestop website.

I have no idea how rare this thing is going to be but if you're at all on the fence you may want to pre-order. Having said that I'm sure in a few weeks it'll be all over the place with the way these things work.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Pandanaut said:
Granted I have no idea about the numbers but the PS3 version of the Limited Edition is sold out on Amazon. All of the local Gamestops here said they weren't even getting copies and the only place I could get the PS3 version was through the Gamestop website.

I have no idea how rare this thing is going to be but if you're at all on the fence you may want to pre-order. Having said that I'm sure in a few weeks it'll be all over the place with the way these things work.

Glad I preordered last month

Top Bottom