• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

JohngPR

Being the MGS fan that I am and seeing how hard it was to get the MGS3 LE (which I own), I pre-ordered the LE of this the same day it was made available.

I always figure if I change my mind, I can cancel before it ships. Better safe than sorry.

Salaadin

Retro_ said:
Glad I preordered last month
Yeah I preordered the instant I saw Wario64s tweets about it. Glad I did.
I was going to get a second copy in case it was rare but it looks like its too late for that.

Tarps

Way to go guys, this thread totally needed the twin snakes argument. Thanks for bringing that up. Again.

JohngPR

TTS is its own beast. It's not worth comparing.

I always look at the game as an alternate take on MGS1. I just fear that Konami looks at it as "we already remade MGS1".

Has anyone tried playing MGS1 on PSP? I wonder how well the controls transfer over seeing as there are two shoulder buttons missing.

Lupin the Wolf said:
Again, Snake does like, two flips in the game. Will I say it's not over-the-top? No. But it's not like he couldn't have done it. Maybe it was a little out of character for Solid Snake. But Kojima said "do it that way." How is that any different from Kojima doing it that way himself?

Because we didn't see Big Boss doing flips in MGS3.

And Kojima has actually tried to be consistent for the most part; but if Lucas decided he disagreed with a scene in the old movie, he wouldn't explain away its events, he would just "fix" the original movie!.

lolololololol Kojima does this all the fucking time, he doesn't give a shit about consistency.

Arklite said:
I said, "WHAT."

The problem with Twin Snakes is that it seems like a remake that altered the feel of the game. No one bitches about Resident Evil remake because it added and elevated the design and atmosphere that already existed, not altering it in some odd way.

I think this is a valid point. Twin Snakes definitely has a different overall "feel" than the original game. I don't think it deserves all the hate it gets, but I concede it's a different experience.

Gameplay-wise, though, TTS is almost completely better, though. Really, who wants to go back to having to equip the keycard EVERY time you want to use a door?

GrayFoxPL

Wario64 said:
Transfarring in MGS3 manual, despite MGS3's menus having no transfarring selection

UWAi1.jpg

"On the go"

Walking and gaming can be pretty dangerous. I can imagine someone playing vita totally blind on what's going around walking on a street, lucky dodging cars and then falling in a manhole or shit.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
JohngPR said:
TTS is its own beast. It's not worth comparing.

I always look at the game as an alternate take on MGS1. I just fear that Konami looks at it as "we already remade MGS1".

They did

I'm fine with it that way since there's no way to remake MGS1 with it still being MGS1 in the end. Gameplay is too archaic.

but that's ok because the original will always exist and is still worth playing even today. Remake is unnecessary

Has anyone tried playing MGS1 on PSP? I wonder how well the controls transfer over seeing as there are two shoulder buttons missing.

You can map different buttons in the PS1 emulator though so it actually works pretty well.

I'm about to replay it on my PSP while waiting for my collection.

Gameplay-wise, though, TTS is almost completely better, though. Really, who wants to go back to having to equip the keycard EVERY time you want to use a door?

Yeah people always are quick to bring up the same gameplay design flaws to criticize it(OCELOT) but fail to recognize the things it changed for the better from the original.

As much as I like MGS1 the backtracking for the PSG-1 and temperature keycard sucks and is not fun and I was glad that TTS lessened both of those.

I wouldn't say it was flat out better than the original, but it's a decent game and worth playing

Blablurn

MGS1 on PSP is soooo good. i love the controls. and i still think that top down mgs games a la MGS2 or 3 would have been the perfect fit for the psp. but now, since we got a second analog stick for the vita, things obviously have changed,

RedSwirl said:
I think it would be the best way to tie up the story.

I used to wonder why he hadn't done so sooner. I wonder if because "MG SOLID" is named so (according to Kojima) partly because it's 3D is part of it. If it's 2D, it's always been something else: Ghost Babel on GBC, for example. No "Solid" there (except outside Japan). Maybe he doesn't want to go there in part because he doesn't know what he would name them? Also, they would be another huge drain on his personal energy and resources.

It also doesn't help that a lot of things found in MG1 and 2 were already done in MGS1: the Hind D rooftop battle, for instance.

SamuraiX-

Lupin the Wolf said:
Snake does like, two flips in the whole game. He is not treated on equal footing with the ultra-supersuit characters. Besides, he is definitely still in his "prime" in MGS1/TTS.

Also Kojima requested changes and approved them. So it's really just a matter of "well, Kojima didn't do it HIMSELF" so it doesn't count! Even though it has his stamp of approval on the front cover. You'd think it was Snake's Revenge the way some people talk about TTS.

Just a couple of flips. lol right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5-vAf2_PCA&t=3m48s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5-vAf2_PCA&t=6m17s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtNSfMHufLs&t=3m
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH0XlsbEw4o&t=47s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH0XlsbEw4o&t=2m56s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH0XlsbEw4o&t=8m15s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Evzf6Z41c&t=5m28s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-UttPuRScU&t=2m18s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl8U5BiU0q8&t=6s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc6m4322PtI&t=30s

That is not Solid Snake. That is a Gray Fox/Cyborg Raiden/Vamp wannabe. Bull shit gymnastics like that are not in Snake's character, at all, and were completely unnecessary. But hey, who cares? That shit is totally bomb, yo!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lupin the Wolf said:
You're right. There were more than two flips apparently. Congratulations.
Wow, good job avoiding your own fail.

SamuraiX-

Lupin the Wolf said:
You're right. There were more than two flips apparently. Congratulations.

Good job at completely avoiding (even going so far as deleting!) the point. I guess that's what being consistently wrong and in denial does to people.

SamuraiX- said:
Good job at completely avoiding (even going so far as deleting!) the point. I guess that's what being consistently wrong and in denial does to people.

I conceded that I was wrong about the regularity of the flips. I already said it was probably a little out of character for him. You're trying to prove there's some "order of magnitude" difference here between "a little out of character" and "way out of character" and frankly that's not an issue for me. I mentioned the one scene that I thought was too over-the-top (hangar door sideflip), but I thought the rest were fine in the context of the rest of the game.

Basically, I didn't feel I needed to respond to that part, so why would I quote it? Selective quoting is kinda par for the course on GAF anyway. Shouldn't you instead take confidence in how right you were in that I didn't feel the need to contest it?

EDIT: In other words, I didn't include it because I simply can't argue against it. I don't think it's as extreme as you say it is, but that's a matter of taste and opinion we simply won't see eye-to-eye on, so there's no point in us going on about it. I only included the list of links because I was wrong about that and congratulated you on calling me out on my poor memory.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Chinner said:
guys mgs4 and tts are both pretty terrible. what are you trying to prove.

exactly that more or less

atleast that's what it was about initially. Shit has gone completely besides the point since then

Jockel

Red Blaster said:
From my point of view, the jedi are evil.
Word!
Selfish punks blew up the empire's death star. Where do you think the money came from?
Little punk-ass kids try to stick it to "the man", while the average tax payer suffers the consequences. Jedi are fucking dicks.

Wario64 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl8U5BiU0q8&t=6s

This one bothered me so much. It's like, why is this shit necessary.

Same here. That was easily the worst one of the lot, IMHO. Kinda unintentionally funny though.

EDIT: Like, couldn't he have just climbed around on the railing? That was a NEW feature of the game, after all. I can see why just running by the door was too risky (that's how it was in the original), but a side-flip? It was just silly.

Great games. It's going to be interesting to see how a new generation handles MGS2, I still don't know how to.

"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri Rock."

Emily Chu said:
someone should force Kojima san to play/finish Twin Snakes

a proper remake would be out next summer...

I really hate to say it, but the thought crossed my mind that Kojima approved of the changes to Twin Snakes because it was a little sandbox he could do whatever with and it wouldn't matter. Like, sure he fixed the voice acting problems but the changes to the cutscenes were sorta drastic at points and I understand some of the contention over it.

Maybe he thought, "well, this one doesn't matter anyway, so just go nuts, Mr. Kitamura!"

jett

D-Member
Lupin the Wolf said:
I really hate to say it, but the thought crossed my mind that Kojima approved of the changes to Twin Snakes because it was a little sandbox he could do whatever with and it wouldn't matter. Like, sure he fixed the voice acting problems but the changes to the cutscenes were sorta drastic at points and I understand some of the contention over it.

Maybe he thought, "well, this one doesn't matter anyway, so just go nuts, Mr. Kitamura!"

He didn't fix anything. Original voice acting in MGS1 is still far and away the best in the entire series.

Lyonaz

jett said:
He didn't fix anything. Original voice acting in MGS1 is still far and away the best in the entire series.
High Five!
The original had the best voice acting and was awesome.

SamuraiX- said:

The slo-mo dramatic magnetic grenade to 'splode the flying piece of beam (because moving out of the way is so white-collar) did it for me.

Going back through it, some of the flips remind me of Rinzler in TRON: Legacy :lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, I remember loving Twin Snakes when it came out. I guess I just didn't realize how fucked up some of those cutscenes were. I only remember the helicopter one as seeming out of place.

jett said:

I actually also prefer the voice acting in the original, too.

But Mei Ling was an American-born character, so the thick Chinese accent made no sense. I don't remember Naomi's backstory, but I guess she wasn't supposed to have an English accent, either. Also, some poorly translated lines in the original got fixed, but the delivery of those lines wasn't always as good as the PSX version's. Kind of a shame.

Man, I love Twin Snakes, though it was my first time playing a Metal Gear game. I remember being so psyched that it was coming to the GameCube.

I then went on to beat MGS2 on my PC. Haven't played any other Metal Gear's though, so that's why I'm picking this up. One of my friends is always shocked that I haven't played MGS3.

Top Bottom