• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

B.K.

I really dread fighting
The End
again when I get around to playing 3. That was the worst boss battle ever.

Phatcorns

dubc35 said:
Has anyone picked up a $40 copy from Fry's in store yet? Their website for my local store (Renton, WA) says available for preorder and not available for in store pickup. Their website is not always the most accurate from past experiences though.

Picked mine up from the one in Indiana. Priced at 49.99 but the ad said 39.96 and when it ran up, it was indeed 39.96

burgerdog

I really can't wait to go home and play this. Friend asked me to run errands with him almost as soon as I was about to get home to play it. Might be another hour or two until I get to see mgs3. The Pain!

These games will probably be my first Platinum trophies.

With MGS2, I find that the facebutton sensitivity isn't the same as the PS2, thus releasing your weapon without firing is more difficult than before.

Can't wait to try out 3 and Peace Walker.

Edit: nm

Tomasooie

So how do you perform the more obscure pressure sensitive actions on the 360 version? Couldn't you press R1 down further to lean in forward whilst in a locker on MGS2 (PS2)? How would you do that on 360?

burgerdog said:
To get The End's
camo do we have to sneak up on him or deplete his stamina bar?
Holding him up three times yields the camo, stamina defeat nets you his gun.

If MGS3 is the Subsistence cut, did they include the unique camo patterns within the game that one used to have to download, like the Santa, the Grenade belt, the ANUBIS color, the flags, etc.?

My Amazon order hasn't shipped yet so I decided to check out some Gamestops in the area. All 3 that showed "In-Stock" were actually being held for people. Sounds like they only sent the LE to stores that had people preorder. >:|

COME ON AMAZON! SHIP ME THE GAME!

For people who have had it shipped from Amazon, what day did you originally order and what shipping type did you choose?

Big Papa Husker said:
My Amazon order hasn't shipped yet so I decided to check out some Gamestops in the area. All 3 that showed "In-Stock" were actually being held for people. Sounds like they only sent the LE to stores that had people preorder. >:|

COME ON AMAZON! SHIP ME THE GAME!

For people who have had it shipped from Amazon, what day did you originally order and what shipping type did you choose?

ordered the ps3 LE on september 30th, just got an email from amazon a few hours ago today saying its shipped and will be at my house tomorrow.

B.K. said:
I really dread fighting
The End
again when I get around to playing 3. That was the worst boss battle ever.
No way! that battle is amazing! An incredible mix of patience and intensity
if you don't cheat!
... I look forward to it every time I play through MGS3...

The LE art book is amazing, even if I do have a lot of the Peace Walker art from the LE Peace Walker art book...

TheExodu5

Banned
So, what order should I play the games? I've played the main series (MGS, 2, 3, 4), so I want to try something new. Perhaps the chronological order? What would that be?

PW
MGS3
MG
MG2
MGS
MGS2
?

Just a guess

Ostinatto

TheExodu5 said:
So, what order should I play the games? I've played the main series (MGS, 2, 3, 4), so I want to try something new. Perhaps the chronological order? What would that be?

PW
MGS3
MG
MG2
MGS
MGS2
?

Just a guess

the right order is the release date for each game order IMO

Snaku

Banned
TenshiOni said:
Local Gamestop only had one copy and they weren't able to find the box for it. They only had the disk.

Damn it.

IMG_20110129_123350.jpg

NEW!

TheExodu5 said:

PW
MGS3
MG
MG2
MGS
MGS2
?

Just a guess

MGS3
PW
MG
MG2
MGS
MGS2
MGS4

TheExodu5 said:

The title screen shows the three games in chronological order. (MGS3->PW->MGS2). MG1/2 are not shown there as they are still nested in the MGS3 menu.

Since we're on that topic.

A friend of mine used to work at GameStop and would tell us how everyone would take home games at night that they wanted to play and kept them for however long they wanted.
When they didn't have a used copy they'd open a new copy.

So much shady stuff going on there.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Isn't it kind of odd that you can watch...the ending of MGS3 without beating it via the demo theater? Kinda weird, new comers could just spoil the game just like that

Wario64 said:
Isn't it kind of odd that you can watch...the ending of MGS3 without beating it via the demo theater? Kinda weird, new comers could just spoil the game just like that

Punishment for not playing the game 7 years ago.

TheExodu5 said:

PW
MGS3
MG
MG2
MGS
MGS2
?

Just a guess

Play them in production order. Going from MGS3-> MG will be too much of a "generation shock."

Bit-Bit

Can someone answer a quick question for me? On the PS3 version, can you hold people up and slowly let go of the button so as not to fire the gun? Cause my buddy has the Xbox version and he says that the game doesn't have it. But I assume it's because the Xbox face buttons are pressure sensitive. So is it the same or not for the PS3?

Yanksfan

Mikey Jr. said:
God, should I try and play MG1 and MG2?

I want to play it, but my God they are old.

MGS1 on a PSPGo looks fine to me and a little time gets you accustomed to controls.

I can't tell from your post, but if you haven't played them previously, then yes, you should. Definitely.

If they are replays, don't sweat it if you aren't feeling it. Read a summary and play what you want.

Phatcorns

Bit-Bit said:
Can someone answer a quick question for me? On the PS3 version, can you hold people up and slowly let go of the button so as not to fire the gun? Cause my buddy has the Xbox version and he says that the game doesn't have it. But I assume it's because the Xbox face buttons are pressure sensitive. So is it the same or not for the PS3?

You press in the left stick to lower your weapon.

SamuraiX-

Mikey Jr. said:

I remember the first time I played MG2 before MGS3: Subsistence came out, it became my favorite Metal Gear game of all time. After a while I think I changed my opinion back to MGS1/MGS2, but you have to play both of them at least once.

If you're a big fan of MGS, I guarantee you that you won't be disappointed.

Yanksfan said:
MGS1 on a PSPGo looks fine to me and a little time gets you accustomed to controls.

I can't tell from your post, but if you haven't played them previously, then yes, you should. Definitely.

If they are replays, don't sweat it if you aren't feeling it. Read a summary and play what you want.

MG, not MGS.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yanksfan said:

MSX MG1 and 2.

Bit-Bit, Xbox version uses left analog stick as a toggle to compensate for the lack of pressure sensitive buttons. I think it uses d-pad for the CQC options. PS3 version plays just like it did since DS3 has pressure sensitive buttons.

MechaX

Eh. MG1 might be worth it just to see how it really started, if you can handle the older gameplay style.

MG2 on the other hand... Yeah... Gameplay-wise, it's not different from MG1 outside of some improvements here and there.

Story-wise... oh man. It's pretty loopy even for Metal Gear Solid standards.

TheExodu5

Banned
Para bailar La Bomba said:
Play them in production order. Going from MGS3-> MG will be too much of a "generation shock."

I can handle it!

It'll be easier for me to work my way up to MGS1 or MG starting with MGS3, to be honest.

Like I said, I've played them before in release order, so I was looking to try something different.

Wario64 said:

If you haven't got the willpower to not click on that theatre until you're actually finished with the game, than you're probably the same kind of person who flicks to the last page of a new book. And those people are boring.

:( I want this so bad but I'm saving for black Friday kffjognlhgkk, I might have to bite. Never beat 2,3 or played PW D:

I'm #5 on goozex, hopefully it goes fast :p

Got my limited edition today in the mail (PS3). Well really amazed how good the quality of the art book was. Definitely worth it. Popped in the game and played the prologue in MGS3 to see how it looked. Wow....they really did an awesome job. Future HD remakes should take notes.

Actually going to wait to play through them all till around Christmas work break. Can't wait!!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Uh wow, Konami is really doing something weird here:

PS3®版 MGS 2 HD メーカー希望小売価格 3,480円(税込)
※2011年11月23日配信予定
MGS 3 HD メーカー希望小売価格 3,480円(税込)
※2011年11月23日配信予定
MGS HD
( 2&3 ) メーカー希望小売価格 4,980円(税込)
※2011年11月23日配信予定

<同梱内容>
ゲームアーカイブス版 「METAL GEAR SOLID」 プロダクトコード同梱
※プロダクトコードが同梱されるのはPS3®版のみです。
※ゲームアーカイブス版「METAL GEAR SOLID」はHD版ではございません。
Xbox360®版 MGS HD
( 2&3 ) Xbox Live® ARCADE での配信は2012年を予定

Those are dates for the DDL versions. Note the PSN release is 11.23... while the XBL one is sometime in 2012...

RDreamer

Mikey Jr. said:

Yes! Definitely play them! MG1 is great just for finding where the series began. It is pretty old and feels pretty old. MG2, on the other hand, is really really fascinating because a lot of the series stuff started there, and people also really weren't lying when they said that MGS is kind of a remake of some of the things that happened in MG2. It's kind of cool seeing all that.

Bit-Bit

Wario64 said:
MSX MG1 and 2.

Bit-Bit, Xbox version uses left analog stick as a toggle to compensate for the lack of pressure sensitive buttons. I think it uses d-pad for the CQC options. PS3 version plays just like it did since DS3 has pressure sensitive buttons.

Awesome, great news. Thanks for the reply.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://andriasang.com/comywo/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

4y6fN.jpg

Maybe LOL has assumed a different meaning in Japan?

In true LOL worthy MGS news, Famitsu's release schedule this week lists the release date for the Xbox Live download versions of Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker HD as June 2012. The PS3 download versions arrive simultaneous with their retail counterparts (along with separate download release for MGS2 HD and MGS3 HD) this month.

-----

X360 gets screwed yet again. PS3 this month, June 2012 for X360. This is Japan though so who knows if US will get the releases on time

SamuraiX-

MechaX said:
Eh. MG1 might be worth it just to see how it really started, if you can handle the older gameplay style.

MG2 on the other hand... Yeah... Gameplay-wise, it's not different from MG1 outside of some improvements here and there.

Story-wise... oh man. It's pretty loopy even for Metal Gear Solid standards.

You kiddin' me?

Gameplay took a pretty big jump from MG to MG2 given the standards back then. Radar is introduced, enemies with a 45-degree field of view and being able to move across screens, players have ability to distract/lure enemies with sound (knocking on walls), introduction of alert/caution phases, player can crouch, go prone, and crawl now (allows use of vents to advance or to hide), larger areas, more variety in puzzles, expanded story compared to almost no story in MG1, and overall just a better game in every way.

Also, lol at ridiculing stories from any game of the 80s/90s eras.

Tomasooie said:
So how do you perform the more obscure pressure sensitive actions on the 360 version? Couldn't you press R1 down further to lean in forward whilst in a locker on MGS2 (PS2)? How would you do that on 360?

I pressed the R1 button on the 360 and kissed the poster on the Tanker, so that still works. Pressing the left stick raises and lowers your weapon if you want to hold someone up, but not shoot them.

Cartman86

Banned
I'm really going to start regretting purchasing disc copies of games when digital versions are available soon aren't I? PS3 or whatever is going to come out and only my digital copies will work with it or something.

rozay

Banned
Anyone playing the 360 version and not having difficulties with the controls? I don't own the game, just saw that picture on the previous page and it looks awkward as fuck.

Wish I had a PS3.

B.K.

Cartman86 said:
I'm really going to start regretting purchasing disc copies of games when digital versions are available soon aren't I?

That release schedule is for Japan. We don't know when other regions will have them for download. For all we know, they may not be available to download in America until 2012.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Cartman86 said:
I'm really going to start regretting purchasing disc copies of games when digital versions are available soon aren't I? PS3 or whatever is going to come out and only my digital copies will work with it or something.

I think it's the other way around. PSN servers will go poof, digital content will expire and only disc copies will reign.

Top Bottom