• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

I guess what I'd really like to know is if Peace Walker HD's single-player (not coop) difficulty is more reasonable compared to the PSP version's. (Most notably boss fights.) Thoughts on this?

B.K.

RedRedSuit said:
I guess what I'd really like to know is if Peace Walker HD's single-player (not coop) difficulty is more reasonable compared to the PSP version's. (Most notably boss fights.) Thoughts on this?

It should be the same. I don't think they did anything to the gameplay in Peace Walker.

MechaX

SamuraiX- said:
You kiddin' me?

Gameplay took a pretty big jump from MG to MG2 given the standards back then. Radar is introduced, enemies with a 45-degree field of view and being able to move across screens, players have ability to distract/lure enemies with sound (knocking on walls), introduction of alert/caution phases, player can crouch, go prone, and crawl now (allows use of vents to advance or to hide), larger areas, more variety in puzzles, expanded story compared to almost no story in MG1, and overall just a better game in every way.

Also, lol at ridiculing stories from any game of the 80s/90s eras.

... So basically MG2 uses MG1's gameplay-style with some improvements here and there (crouching and sound are more substantial, enemies moving across multiple screens not so much when considering they were still fairly limited, and areas that mostly encouraged some pretty heavy backtracking). I'm sorry I didn't like MG2 nearly as much as you did, dude.

And as for the second comment, Kojima did kinda release a game with a pretty good story (if not having some... obvious sources of inspiration) in the 90s period with Snatcher. Not like that counts, or anything.

bubnbob

Banned
Buckethead said:
I'll be honest, the achievements have turned me off a little.

Probably will play Rayman instead.

I like achievements as much as the next guy, but that shouldn't turn you off. This is a well done collection, and I've never played Peace Walker, MGS3, or the MSX games. I'll likely be doing the same with the DMC Trilogy next.

B.K. said:
It should be the same. I don't think they did anything to the gameplay in Peace Walker.

Fair enough, but what about with the easier controls (I can only assume...) in the PS360 version? Surely that has to make things easier.

Or not.

That's what I want to know.

kingslunk

Wario64 said:
http://andriasang.com/comywo/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

4y6fN.jpg

Maybe LOL has assumed a different meaning in Japan?

In true LOL worthy MGS news, Famitsu's release schedule this week lists the release date for the Xbox Live download versions of Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker HD as June 2012. The PS3 download versions arrive simultaneous with their retail counterparts (along with separate download release for MGS2 HD and MGS3 HD) this month.

-----

X360 gets screwed yet again. PS3 this month, June 2012 for X360. This is Japan though so who knows if US will get the releases on time

Lots of Love.

TheExodu5 said:
I can handle it!

It'll be easier for me to work my way up to MGS1 or MG starting with MGS3, to be honest.

Like I said, I've played them before in release order, so I was looking to try something different.

The idea is for you to appreciate the refinements made to gameplay after each iteration. The story is not compelling enough to warrant a chronological play-through.

Starting with two of the best gameplay wise is the proverbially equivalent to blowing your load too early. And if you sandwich 4 between 3 and PW you may be luck enough to retain your sanity.

RedSwirl

Mikey Jr. said:
God, should I try and play MG1 and MG2?

I want to play it, but my God they are old.

Try very hard to play MG2. That game changed my entire opinion of MGS1.

MechaX said:
... So basically MG2 uses MG1's gameplay-style with some improvements here and there (crouching and sound are more substantial, enemies moving across multiple screens not so much when considering they were still fairly limited, and areas that mostly encouraged some pretty heavy backtracking). I'm sorry I didn't like MG2 nearly as much as you did, dude.

And as for the second comment, Kojima did kinda release a game with a pretty good story (if not having some... obvious sources of inspiration) in the 90s period with Snatcher. Not like that counts, or anything.

What are you talking about? MG2 is basically the same game as MGS1 from a gameplay standpoint. It's like the difference between FFVI and FFVII. The later one is just rendered in polygons.

The crisp text in the MSX Metal Gear games looks so wrong. But I didn't even realize they were going to be in here, so I'm pleasantly surprised! For $50 there's a lot of game here.

Cartman86

Banned
Wario64 said:
I think it's the other way around. PSN servers will go poof, digital content will expire and only disc copies will reign.

Oh god the stress of all these possibilities is killing me. With digital content though it will be on my console forever (until it dies I guess). But then you have the Capcom games that require an online connection!

SamuraiX-

MechaX said:

From that point of view you could argue that there wasn't much different between MGS1, 2, 3, or 4.

Sorry you couldn't find the enjoyment in it, bro.

MechaX

RedSwirl said:
What are you talking about? MG2 is basically the same game as MGS1 from a gameplay standpoint. It's like the difference between FFVI and FFVII. The later one is just rendered in polygons.

What does MGS1 have to do with anything? If you want to split hairs, the MG-MGS style gameplay persisted only up to Snake Eater. But MG2 being more or less like MGS is pretty irrelevant from my initial post insinuating that he probably wouldn't be missing out too much by skipping MG2, assuming he actually does revisit the older titles.

SamuraiX- said:
From that point of view you could argue that there wasn't much different between MGS1, 2, 3, or 4.

Sorry you couldn't find the enjoyment in it, bro.

MGS1 and 2, maybe. The four (MG1, 2, MGS1 and MGS2) still use an emphasis on the top-down perspective in the grand scheme of things, albiet MGS1 and 2 restructures things by moving away from the "screen by screen" aspect of things. That really doesn't apply so much to 4 and 3, 3 which especially brought a plethora of new aspects.

RedSwirl

Okay, this is the first time I've gone back and played a pre-4 MGS game since having played MGS4 and Peace Walker. I'm afraid the time has passed for MGS2. Not visually, but gameplay-wise.

Actually, I never really liked MGS2 a whole lot from a gameplay standpoint. The game just can't figure out whether it wants to be a 2D game or a 3D game. Though looking back in perspective you can't really blame that on Kojima, and it's partly my unique perspective from how I played the games.

I actually never played the PS1 version of MGS1 until right before MGS4 came out, and when I finally did I was shocked at how 2D it felt. The first two MGS games really make more sense when you treat them as top-down 2D games (like I said above, MGS1 is basically the same game as its 8-bit predecessor but in polygons). The problem is that with the first person view and the cinematic camera angles make this hard for MGS2.

It's understandable though, a textbook for how to make a 3D action game on a console didn't really exist in 2001. Fixed cameras were pretty much how things were done until 2005 with Resident Evil 4 and Splinter Cell, which finally gave Kojima the hint with Subsistence. MGS2 is a game representative of a painful transitional phase.

If you buy this collection for any main reason it should be Peace Walker. That's the one game on here that actually feels modern and fully holds up (I haven't gotten back into MGS3 yet).

RedSwirl

MechaX said:
What does MGS1 have to do with anything? If you want to split hairs, the MG-MGS style gameplay persisted only up to Snake Eater. But MG2 being more or less like MGS is pretty irrelevant from my initial post insinuating that he probably wouldn't be missing out too much by skipping MG2, assuming he actually does revisit the older titles.

It did. Subsistence was the point where Metal Gear actually started to feel like a proper 3D game.

MG2 is actually one of my favorite Metal Gear games overall though. It takes a bit of getting used to in the earlier stages, but eventually the game shocked me with how "advanced" and substantial a stealth game it was despite having been made in 1990. The story is slightly ridiculous (compared to the MG norm) but I still really enjoyed it.

For those who have played Ghost Babel, MG2 basically plays just like that game.

SiteSeer

i ordered the le from amazon on 9/30, still hasn't shipped. i guess late pre-orders are waiting for the second shipment from japan?

when did you guys pre-order early or late? i'm guessing late.

MechaX

RedSwirl said:
It did. Subsistence was the point where Metal Gear actually started to feel like a proper 3D game.

Indeed. The original Snake Eater was essentially trying to force a square peg in a round hole in terms of trying to get the top-down view to work with the game's open environment. The view was limiting to the point where it was actively working against the game itself. It might have worked in part in MGS2 only because you were in cramped corridors for significant portions of the game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SiteSeer said:
i ordered the le from amazon on 9/30, still hasn't shipped. i guess late pre-orders are waiting for the second shipment from japan?

when did you guys pre-order early or late? i'm guessing late.

I preordered it the instant I posted the Amazon link when it was announced. Shipped yesterday and received today

jsnepo

MechaX said:
Indeed. The original Snake Eater was essentially trying to force a square peg in a round hole in terms of trying to get the top-down view to work with the game's open environment. The view was limiting to the point where it was actively working against the game itself. It might have worked in part in MGS2 only because you were in cramped corridors for significant portions of the game.

Though flawed, the limited camera in Snake Eater made the game even more stealthy to the point that you really have to stop, crouch, and go to FPV mode or take out your binoculars to recon the area especially the big ones.

RedSwirl

jsnepo said:
Though flawed, the limited camera in Snake Eater made the game even more stealthy to the point that you really have to stop, crouch, and go to FPV mode or take out your binoculars to recon the area especially the big ones.

The free camera did a better job of letting you do that.

bender

What time is it?
I just wrapped up the intro of Snake Eater. So many great memories came flooding back. I can't believe how wonderful this game looks in HD. I can't wait to try out Peace Walker with dual analog control and co-op though I want to play them in chronological order. I did cheat when I booted the collection up. I couldn't resist watching the intro of MGS2....so damned good.

jsnepo

RedSwirl said:
The free camera did a better job of letting you do that.

It didn't for me as enemies from afar will still not be seen unless they move. My point is the limited camera forced everyone to do what I posted. I'm not saying it's better. I'd take the 3D camera of Subsistence over it.

jsnepo said:

That's true. It was extremely suspenseful and fun. At the same time that felt absolutely artificial and removed from any kind of reality. The inability to be easily visually aware of a guy 10 meters away from you = fail. I always felt like an apologist when saying MGS3 was extra suspenseful, but I really meant it.

Of course the functional camera in Subsistence = superior.

omgkitty

Shit Amazon! They just keep trying to annoy me. Not only do they not ship until today but it's coming from Arizona! WTF. 99% of my shipments come from Lexington/Campbellsville and because I live in TN, it's always here the next day no matter what. Now I have to wait even longer :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm going to ask a question that I'm sure's been asked before...

The game seems to suggest playing three, then 2, then peace walker? Is that right?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
zoner said:
I'm going to ask a question that I'm sure's been asked before...

The game seems to suggest playing three, then 2, then peace walker? Is that right?

It's not a suggestion, it's merely just putting them chronological timeline. You should play them in order of release date (2, 3, PW)

jackdoe

Hm. Now that I think about it, unless you're going a no kill run, there is absolutely no reason to hide bodies in MGS2 and MGS3. Which kind of makes the mechanic a bit of a waste.

RedSwirl said:
Okay, this is the first time I've gone back and played a pre-4 MGS game since having played MGS4 and Peace Walker. I'm afraid the time has passed for MGS2. Not visually, but gameplay-wise.

Actually, I never really liked MGS2 a whole lot from a gameplay standpoint. The game just can't figure out whether it wants to be a 2D game or a 3D game. Though looking back in perspective you can't really blame that on Kojima, and it's partly my unique perspective from how I played the games.

I actually never played the PS1 version of MGS1 until right before MGS4 came out, and when I finally did I was shocked at how 2D it felt. The first two MGS games really make more sense when you treat them as top-down 2D games (like I said above, MGS1 is basically the same game as its 8-bit predecessor but in polygons). The problem is that with the first person view and the cinematic camera angles make this hard for MGS2.

It's understandable though, a textbook for how to make a 3D action game on a console didn't really exist in 2001. Fixed cameras were pretty much how things were done until 2005 with Resident Evil 4 and Splinter Cell, which finally gave Kojima the hint with Subsistence. MGS2 is a game representative of a painful transitional phase.

If you buy this collection for any main reason it should be Peace Walker. That's the one game on here that actually feels modern and fully holds up (I haven't gotten back into MGS3 yet).

wat

Don't get how anyone can ding MGS2's gameplay. It's as tightly designed and superbly balanced as any game I've played. MGS3 is when things start to get muddy.

jackdoe said:
Hm. Now that I think about it, unless you're going a no kill run, there is absolutely no reason to hide bodies in MGS2 and MGS3. Which kind of makes the mechanic a bit of a waste.

It's not a waste if you're going for a no-kill run. Which is a pretty common goal really. No-kill, no-alert, etc.

jackdoe

RedRedSuit said:
It's not a waste if you're going for a no-kill run. Which is a pretty common goal really. No-kill, no-alert, etc.
It will probably be more common with Trophies and Achievements, but the thought of a no-kill run never popped into my head when I played MGS3 all those years ago on the PS2. It was just M1911 all the time.

SamuraiX-

jackdoe said:

It depends.

If you hold a guy up and threaten him to give you items, proceed to knock him out, and then he is woken up by another sentry, that initial sentry will radio in and say there's an intruder and it'll go into caution phase.

Also, I think it's just natural for people to not want to alert the enemy of their presence in any way when playing these games.

jackdoe said:
It will probably be more common with Trophies and Achievements, but the thought of a no-kill run never popped into my head when I played MGS3 all those years ago on the PS2. It was just M1911 all the time.

I normally wouldn't say this, but you're doing it wrong.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Before I plan on getting this game (soon), I just have a few questions:

1. Are the games impossible to platinum?
2. Are there trophies for doing something in Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2?
3. How does Metal Gear look like on the PS3?

jackdoe said:

I must say I'm somewhat surprised. The games practically beg you to do it, even offering ways to dispatch the bosses without killing them.

In any case, if you're down with killing people on a regular basis, the games become super easy and generally kind of pointless IMO.

(Of course the illusion is destroyed since many of them still die in the post-battle cutscene... but that's MGS for ya.)

jackdoe

RedRedSuit said:
I must say I'm somewhat surprised. The games practically beg you to do it, even offering ways to dispatch the bosses without killing them.

In any case, if you're down with killing people on a regular basis, the games become super easy and generally kind of pointless IMO.

(Of course the illusion is destroyed since many of them still die in the post-battle cutscene... but that's MGS for ya.)
Oh, don't get me wrong, I did it for the bosses in MGS3 since they gave me bonuses. But for the grunts, I just really didn't give a damn (and the blood splatter in MGS2 was fun). And you're right, it did become super easy and kind of pointless. I guess on my replay of these games for the HD collection, I'll go for no kills to spice things up.

SamuraiX- said:
I normally wouldn't say this, but you're doing it wrong.
Haha. Probably.

Wario64 said:
It's not a suggestion, it's merely just putting them chronological timeline. You should play them in order of release date (2, 3, PW)
I also think they are putting their best foot forward by putting 3 first. Its most likely to give a good first impression out of the 3 games and more likely to turn into future sales for Rising or MGS5.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Red Blaster said:
wat

Don't get how anyone can ding MGS2's gameplay. It's as tightly designed and superbly balanced as any game I've played. MGS3 is when things start to get muddy.
wat

I'm not even a big fps/tps fan and even I can understand how MGS2 would now be seen as a dated game style to many people.

I'd probably still enjoy the hell out of it, but it's definitely by getting into a "retro game" headzone at this point.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ok, I'm being completely serious here, and I know that I'll sound stupid. I haven't played the MGS games since they first come out, and I'm a bit lost on controls

There is no sort of 'crouched run' right? It's just run or 'crouch/crawl' right? Is there a way to melee someone from behind instantly to knock them out with a choke, if so how, if not do I just start mashign B(Circle)? Also the guy I knock out keeps getting up like... 5 seconds later.

I sound like a dumbass, but the game's not exactly explanatory.

edit: Or I could use the gun I guess

BocoDragon said:
wat

I'm not even a big fps/tps fan and even I can understand how MGS2 would now be seen as a dated game style to many people.

I'd probably still enjoy the hell out of it, but it's definitely by getting into a "retro game" headzone at this point.

Calling MGS2 dated is like calling Streets Of Rage 2 dated.

zoner said:
Ok, I'm being completely serious here, and I know that I'll sound stupid. I haven't played the MGS games since they first come out, and I'm a bit lost on controls

There is no sort of 'crouched run' right? It's just run or 'crouch/crawl' right? Is there a way to melee someone from behind instantly to knock them out with a choke, if so how, if not do I just start mashign B(Circle)? Also the guy I knock out keeps getting up like... 5 seconds later.

I sound like a dumbass, but the game's not exactly explanatory.

Peace Walker has a crouched run. Handy tip for knocking dudes out in MGS2 and 3: shoot them with the tranquilizer first and then roll into them; they'll be down for the count.

Went to EB at Pacific Centre tonight... was so happy to pick up my LE MGS HD Collection that the long line (due to MW3) didn't bother me. I had a pre-order and they called me on the weekend to tell me I can pick it up on Tuesday... somehow my copy is 'not there'. FUUUU... over. They told me they would try and get one in in the next day or two. I really hope they do because this is my most 4th most anticipated gaming related product this year (after Ico/SOTC Limited Box, Uncharted 3, and the Japanese LE for MGS). Worst feeling ever, the anticipation and then crushing defeat afterwards. :p
Honestly this has been my first bad experience at the PC EBgames, so I hope they do pull through in the end.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Red Blaster said:
Calling MGS2 dated is like calling Streets Of Rage 2 dated.

Peace Walker has a crouched run. Handy tip for knocking dudes out in MGS2 and 3: shoot them with the tranquilizer first and then roll into them; they'll be down for the count.
Like shoot them and then roll into them while they're standing? I've been headshotting them and they fall over.

Also do dudes only drop occasional items if you kill them or does sleep work?

zoner said:
Like shoot them and then roll into them while they're standing? I've been headshotting them and they fall over.

Precisely. Just lock onto them in third person using L1/LB and fire. Do it right before you roll or else they'll turn around and see you.

Top Bottom